cablebox rental alternative - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cablebox rental alternative

I'm trying to find alternatives to cablebox and DVR rental fees, and I'm getting discouraged :-( Has anyone had success?

I know Tivo is probably the 'gold standard', its an initial outlay of ~$200 for one room, plus I still need a recurring subscription. Looks like there is a multi-roonm add-on, but they need to be hardwired and each costs extra. Might as well keep the DVR.

I've tried Chromecast. ok for occasional use, but not practical for a non-techie, and I found the android streaming apps buggy, and too many links to make it work (streaming from apps on phone)

I've tried Firestick/Firebox. Pretty good for streaming and consolidating multiple services to one spot. Finding current/recent VOD broadcast titles is tough (BCS, Preacher). No DVR, at times it is slow to respond. Some streaming apps are better than others.

HDhomeRun Prime. Research showed real promise, but execution was lacking. DRM wont work with anything but a VERY narrow range of devices,and everything but the weatherchannel is DRM-protected on Optimum. Still have it, my latest gen firestick saw it and played some stuff. The user interface is rubbish. Just not worth the aggravation. Still paying for the cablecard and might revisit, but I've dumped a lot of hours tinkering with mediocre results.

Which brings me to my current science experiment: Used cbalebox/DVR. I bought a used cablebox on epay or grabazon, and got another cablecard. I can get the cablecard to bind, but beyond a diagnostics screen I can't get the box (Samsung) to display much else. And the diagnostic screen gets boring after 5,6 hours.

So I guess my question is where are all the how too's and youtube videos on how to get things like this to work? We are all builders/breakers, has anyone had success to getting this type thing to work?

and I'm not stealing/hacking anything. I just want to get the services I already pay for and and entitled too (hence the cablecard) to work on a device that isn't costing me $25/month in perpetuity.

Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfitch View Post
I'm trying to find alternatives to cablebox and DVR rental fees, and I'm getting discouraged :-( Has anyone had success?

I know Tivo is probably the 'gold standard', its an initial outlay of ~$200 for one room, plus I still need a recurring subscription. Looks like there is a multi-roonm add-on, but they need to be hardwired and each costs extra. Might as well keep the DVR.

I've tried Chromecast. ok for occasional use, but not practical for a non-techie, and I found the android streaming apps buggy, and too many links to make it work (streaming from apps on phone)

I've tried Firestick/Firebox. Pretty good for streaming and consolidating multiple services to one spot. Finding current/recent VOD broadcast titles is tough (BCS, Preacher). No DVR, at times it is slow to respond. Some streaming apps are better than others.

HDhomeRun Prime. Research showed real promise, but execution was lacking. DRM wont work with anything but a VERY narrow range of devices,and everything but the weatherchannel is DRM-protected on Optimum. Still have it, my latest gen firestick saw it and played some stuff. The user interface is rubbish. Just not worth the aggravation. Still paying for the cablecard and might revisit, but I've dumped a lot of hours tinkering with mediocre results.

Which brings me to my current science experiment: Used cbalebox/DVR. I bought a used cablebox on epay or grabazon, and got another cablecard. I can get the cablecard to bind, but beyond a diagnostics screen I can't get the box (Samsung) to display much else. And the diagnostic screen gets boring after 5,6 hours.

So I guess my question is where are all the how too's and youtube videos on how to get things like this to work? We are all builders/breakers, has anyone had success to getting this type thing to work?

and I'm not stealing/hacking anything. I just want to get the services I already pay for and and entitled too (hence the cablecard) to work on a device that isn't costing me $25/month in perpetuity.

Any comments?
I use HDHR Prime with MS Win 7 pro (WMC) + (ServerWMC) + (Tuner Salad) as my DVR with RaspberryPi's running Kodi @ TV's.

FiOS as my provider.

All work flawlessly.... Amazing picture too! Live, or recorded....

I love seeing only the channels (With Icons) I configure to see.

As an added bonus, my iPhone 6plus with HDHR app works too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page