Plex server and playback on single HTPC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-17-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Plex server and playback on single HTPC

I have a Windows 7 based HTPC which I use primarily for DVR and music (playback available on all Windows machines in the house is nice to have). Windows 7 and MC are going defunct along with the program guide for it, so I need another option. The WMC setup I have now has been bulletproof for over a decade with little or no intervention by me aside from a few upgrades over the years. For that reason, I'd like to simply backup the files, format the system drive, and plop a copy of Windows 10 on it. Of course, there is no media center/program guide in that setup so I've spent a bit of time looking around at the available DVR/media viewers. PLEX seems to fit the bill, however, it says it needs a server which it can stream from. I only have the one HTPC with several drives on it, which is also the primary unit for playback of OTA TV recordings and music. So my question is can the PLEX server machine also be a playback machine?

For the life of me I cannot find a straight answer on this.

Keep your stick on the ice....

Mark, The 260-lb Houston Bear

"The necessities of life in ascending order: clothing, food, water, and a very loud set of speakers."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page