Sirius Lifetimers Beware - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #301 of 316 Old 08-16-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper610 View Post
Could the new owner call in to Sirius and somehow get the plan transferred to them? It has me a bit paranoid, to the point where I am contemplating buying a portable unit to park the sub on. It might also come in handy for camping in the trailer.
I don't believe so, because the account is still in good standing in my name. But again, I hope that doesn't happen.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 316 Old 08-18-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Thanks! for sharing- All.
post #303 of 316 Old 10-26-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I am a Lifetimer, I don't know if this is related or not, maybe it occurred due to a recent SiriusXM update so thought I would pass it along:

I could not log into my SiriusXM mobile app today, it just kept "loading" forever. I no longer use a radio and only stream online primarily on my smartphone via the mobile app because I live outside of the USA. That last part being the case, I tried using my Hola VPN app to see if that was the issue. No luck. So I decided to do what I had done before when the SiriusXM mobile app got too glitchy; I uninstalled the app and went to the Google Play Store to download and re-install it. Oops. There IS no longer an official SiriusXM app on the Google Play Store. At least, there wasn't one there when I logged onto the Play Store. Tried the Hola VPN again just in case my not being in the USA was an issue there, too, but no luck.

I then went to the regular SiriusXM website on my laptop, where I did have to use my Hola VPN app to access it btw, and pulled up the Chat Help option to see what's up. The Chat rep was very helpful, gave me a link to go to on my smartphone to do what is needed to download and re-install the mobile app and it turns out that link was simply an explanation that I could download and install the app via the Google Play Store and here was the link for that. lol. Clicking on that link DID take me to where the official SiriusXM app could be downloaded and installed, unlike the results I got when I went directly to the Play Store to find it.

For some reason I had to reset my password for the regular computer online streaming and the mobile app (both are the same for me) to get back to normal. All of my Favorites and Settings remain as before after the re-install. The only difference now is that I can no longer access the regular computer online streaming OR my mobile app functions and streaming without first activating a VPN, in my case Hola. That was not necessary before this update or whatever else happened over at SiriusXM since online listening and the mobile app are supposed to be available to subscribers virtually anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection, right? Now I have to fool it into thinking I am in the USA. Or maybe there is something new and goofy happening with the servers in my current non-USA location that needs to be fooled.

Then again, I have been a Lifetimer since 2007 and perhaps this is an occasional "glitch" introduced into the system for subscribers like me, requiring me to go to the website and chat with a customer service rep, just to make sure I am still above ground and qualified for the "Lifetime" subscription. lol.

Just passing this along in case others are experiencing infinite "loading" on their SiriusXM mobile/online streaming devices.

Last edited by hitchfan; 10-26-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 316 Old 12-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
I'm a Sirius lifetimer from 9/2004. At the time, they allowed 5 transfers, then three, and now it now appears unlimited (for us really old lifetimes). I did one transfer about 8 years ago, and they didn't even charge me the $75 (stolen unit with police report.)

Streaming has gone through similar transitions. First free, then free but lower quality, then no mobile app access, then same high quality but no mobile app, now parity with the paid streaming plan.

SiriusXM seems to do the right thing in the long run, but they will try to entice you to modify your plan from time to time. Stand firm and they seem to eventually do the right thing for lifetimers.

At some time in the future, I expect they will give the lifetimers full access to the XM channels, as it will be easier then maintaining an additional service tier for just us.
Do you have a hard copy of your original contract? I'd like to see it. I also got my radio and lifetime in 2004.
nCubed likes this.

Michael M. Wiseman
post #305 of 316 Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotSquawk View Post
Do you have a hard copy of your original contract? I'd like to see it. I also got my radio and lifetime in 2004.
Nope, sorry. Wish I had the foresight to think of that. Just thinking aloud, but what about checking the wayback machine?
JA Fant likes this.
post #306 of 316 Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just another update on lifetime service. Originally I had the service on an alpine tuner, then moved it to an Audi, and then just recently moved it to my RAM truck. So they are allowing OEM to OEM transfers which shouldn't have been allowed. I also had to pay $75 to switch the service for the first time.

Anyway just some more data points.
jinj and JA Fant like this.
post #307 of 316 Old 05-30-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a Sirius lifetime sub form 2005 and one from 2009

The one from 2005 has internet & I'm able to use with the app free, The 2009 Sub they are telling me should not have any internet available with it. I want to pull my hair out chatting with them but does anyone know what the rules are for internet radio on the 2009 Lifetime?
JA Fant likes this.
post #308 of 316 Old 05-30-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bruno 2 View Post

The one from 2005 has internet & I'm able to use with the app free, The 2009 Sub they are telling me should not have any internet available with it. I want to pull my hair out chatting with them but does anyone know what the rules are for internet radio on the 2009 Lifetime?
Chris-

I was in the same situation as you. My 1st "lifetime" under the original XM Radio was in 2005 as well. I want to say that the XM/Sirius merger took place around 2008/09 and was finialized by 2010.
Yes, the internet option was free under XM Radio but changed for the worse after the merger (separate charge for this option). I bought my 2nd "lifetime" in 2009 when I bought a new GMC Truck.
The 2005 option did not transfer to the new XM/Sirius radio.

Sidenote: I can honestly report that the service was better with much less drop-out, signal loss back when Sat Radio was XM only.
post #309 of 316 Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 PM
G D

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood96 View Post
I was able to get my lifetime streaming restored by filling out a form referenced on this thread:
[unable to post link in thread due to my just joining]
It now works with Apps and Sonos.

good luck!
And here I am, reading this three years later, after struggling prior to that for years to get my online streaming restored (lifetime purchase contract stated, "streaming would be free for the life of the contract" which was...for "life" with three transfers).

Filled out your form, and VOILLA the next day a call from XM staff, and now I am back with this incredible piece of my incredible lifetime sub.

It had always stuck in my craw that when the stopped the streaming for me, they were disorganized and frustrating, now honoring the original contract. I had given up, but for some reason had the idea (after a recent transfer to a new radio) of checking out this issue.

Thanks!
haywood96 likes this.
post #310 of 316 Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by G D View Post
And here I am, reading this three years later, after struggling prior to that for years to get my online streaming restored (lifetime purchase contract stated, "streaming would be free for the life of the contract" which was...for "life" with three transfers).

Filled out your form, and VOILLA the next day a call from XM staff, and now I am back with this incredible piece of my incredible lifetime sub.

It had always stuck in my craw that when the stopped the streaming for me, they were disorganized and frustrating, now honoring the original contract. I had given up, but for some reason had the idea (after a recent transfer to a new radio) of checking out this issue.

Thanks!
Glad to hear another success story!

I know how you felt, I went through the same long process and frustrations.

Here is the link from my original post:

http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=101427&start=915
post #311 of 316 Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry All,

Its been almost a year without responses. Bump
post #312 of 316 Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bruno 2 View Post

Only <2008 finally got internet radio but that took a lot of fighting. Might wanna keep trying. Im a Jan 2008 subscriber and I finally got it but that was not the case when I subbed.
post #313 of 316 Old 07-16-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cain View Post
Only <2008 finally got internet radio but that took a lot of fighting. Might wanna keep trying. Im a Jan 2008 subscriber and I finally got it but that was not the case when I subbed.
It's nice though because i listen to Howard and all my Sirius select channels through Alexa or Google piped bluetooth to my sound system. I hardly listen to my primary SiriusXM radio anymore.

Does it finally make it a "lifetime" sub?
post #314 of 316 Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Liked: 0
I’m wondering if anything has changed in the past few years. I had to go through a tremendous fight to get my “lifetime” Sirius subscription to transfer over to my 2010 Tundra pickup, which came with an XM-compatible radio. After numerous letters, emails and conversations, someone called me out of the blue one day and said they would activate my radio, but that I would be unable to transfer the subscription to any other radio ever. Now that my truck is getting on in years, I wonder if that is still the case. I have considered installing an aftermarket radio with nav, etc., but I don’t want to lose my XM. I’m afraid to ask because who knows what might happen. Is anyone from SXM still monitoring this thread?
post #315 of 316 Old 11-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I’m wondering if anything has changed in the past few years. I had to go through a tremendous fight to get my “lifetime” Sirius subscription to transfer over to my 2010 Tundra pickup, which came with an XM-compatible radio. After numerous letters, emails and conversations, someone called me out of the blue one day and said they would activate my radio, but that I would be unable to transfer the subscription to any other radio ever. Now that my truck is getting on in years, I wonder if that is still the case. I have considered installing an aftermarket radio with nav, etc., but I don’t want to lose my XM. I’m afraid to ask because who knows what might happen. Is anyone from SXM still monitoring this thread?
The lifetime subscription is only valid for 3 devices (or was it 4, including the initial device?). Where each new device counts towards your 3 device limit, i.e., upgrade the device once every few years. After that, no more. By chance have you transferred the subscription too many times? Either way, as long as the subscription is active on the last device, even if it's not being used, then you should still get internet XM.

Just call Sirius. You'll have to go through several people. And re-explain yourself each time. Eventually someone will get with you who can transfer the subscription, AS LONG AS you haven't transferred too many times already.
post #316 of 316 Old 11-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Liked: 0
Is there any way to move the “guts” of my existing radio to a new device such that the new device could retain the satellite ID and thus continue under my subscription?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page