1Likes
  • 1 Post By tspitzer

post #1 of 10 Old 02-02-2018, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sirius In My New Home - How?

In Georgia, I currently have in my auto, SiriusXM all access service. We are building a home so soon we will be doing some wiring. We are considering installing a ceiling speaker system in several rooms and want to play Sirius through the speaker system if we can. What do I need to instruct the home builder to do at this beginning of building stage? I assume I need to buy a Sirius radio and "maybe" an outside Sirius antenna. A caveat is that the wife doesn't want ANY equipment sitting outside of a closed stereo type cabinet so is what I'm asking possible? Thanks for helping this old guy that doesn't understand how this all works.

Panasonic 60" TC-P60ST30 Plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post
In Georgia, I currently have in my auto, SiriusXM all access service. We are building a home so soon we will be doing some wiring. We are considering installing a ceiling speaker system in several rooms and want to play Sirius through the speaker system if we can. What do I need to instruct the home builder to do at this beginning of building stage? I assume I need to buy a Sirius radio and "maybe" an outside Sirius antenna. A caveat is that the wife doesn't want ANY equipment sitting outside of a closed stereo type cabinet so is what I'm asking possible? Thanks for helping this old guy that doesn't understand how this all works.
If you have SIRIUS ALL ACCESS, then you should have access to the SIRIUSXM APP, if you have a smart phone/IPAD/Tablet from Android or AMAZON/ROKU/Amazon FireTV/AppleTV. The builder won't have to do anything special, and they know it. Don't let them talk you into an added expense you don't need.

Also, if you try to add another radio you buy, SIRIUSXM will charge you a separate/monthly fee for that radio. The APP is the best route to go.

If you do, it is so simple to use SIRIUSXM(or any other app on the system), it will be ridiculous. Especially if the new setup has BLUE TOOTH built into it, since every smartphone made in the last 6-7 years has some form of blue tooth built into it.

And even if you don't have bluetooth, adding blue tooth adapter to a stereo system is simple, and clean.

Just PM me and I can walk/talk you through it. Others may have a setup I have not thought of, but this seems like the simplest.

Last edited by STEELERSRULE; 02-05-2018 at 12:40 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Add Sonos to your house and you can access XM via the app to stream throughout your house or room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4maous View Post
Add Sonos to your house and you can access XM via the app to stream throughout your house or room.
I have looked at the Sonos website and unless I'm incorrect, all options are your typical speakers that sit on a table etc. That will not fly with my wife as she does not want practically anything sitting out / not hidden away. She wants to use the speakers that will be flush mounted in the ceiling for our music.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
If you have SIRIUS ALL ACCESS, then you should have access to the SIRIUSXM APP, if you have a smart phone/IPAD/Tablet from Android or AMAZON/ROKU/Amazon FireTV/AppleTV. The builder won't have to do anything special, and they know it. Don't let them talk you into an added expense you don't need.

Also, if you try to add another radio you buy, SIRIUSXM will charge you a separate/monthly fee for that radio. The APP is the best route to go.

If you do, it is so simple to use SIRIUSXM(or any other app on the system), it will be ridiculous. Especially if the new setup has BLUE TOOTH built into it, since every smartphone made in the last 6-7 years has some form of blue tooth built into it.

And even if you don't have bluetooth, adding blue tooth adapter to a stereo system is simple, and clean.

Just PM me and I can walk/talk you through it. Others may have a setup I have not thought of, but this seems like the simplest.
I do have "All Access" and I have the SIRIUSXM APP on myAndroid phone and Android 2013 tablet. Both have Blue Tooth and work well with that. I don't have a stereo system at this time. I see where Yamaha has some Streaming type stereo systems so perhaps that would be an option? Sounds like we won't be going the Sirius radio route if they're going to charge us more monthly money.

So with our need to have a device hidden in a cabinet and connected to ceiling speakers that the builder puts in, is there any hope for any type of Sirius setup? Also, I assume I'll need the external antenna attached to the house?

post #6 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4maous View Post
I've just heard from the guy that will do the wiring in my new home and he tells me the following after I told him we didn't want speakers sitting around in different parts of our home. What do you or others think please?

They also offer a Sonos amp. This way we put Klispch speakers in the ceiling, hide the small amp in the closet and play music controlled by you phone or tablet or laptop.

We can install Klispch CDT 1650ii speakers or CDT 2650 through pulte. Both are 6.5 inch speakers. Or can just prewire and install any Klispch speaker after closing. So if you want an eight inch speaker that is the way to go. Such as Klispch CDT 2800ii. Or CDT 3800ii. Speaker size and quality of speaker will change the clarity. FYI speakers in the model Hime is CDT 1650ii.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I have looked at the Sonos website and unless I'm incorrect, all options are your typical speakers that sit on a table etc. That will not fly with my wife as she does not want practically anything sitting out / not hidden away. She wants to use the speakers that will be flush mounted in the ceiling for our music.
No. Sonos does sell amplifiers that can power ceiling/wall speakers and be hidden away in the a/v closet/cabinet/etc. They also sell Sonos boxes that will interface with an existing receiver and amp system.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products...reo-components
post #8 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeme View Post
No. Sonos does sell amplifiers that can power ceiling/wall speakers and be hidden away in the a/v closet/cabinet/etc. They also sell Sonos boxes that will interface with an existing receiver and amp system.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/products...reo-components
Bingo. Just use a Connect:Amp if you want an independent, wireleslly controlled amp or if you already have the amp, just toss in a Sonos Connect (their pre-amp). These units of course have the ability to tie in with their wireless series of speakers if you so choose.

Another thing to note is that many, many modern AVRs also already have built-in SiriusXM streaming support.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Many devices have Sirius "built-in". I have two Sony Blu-Rays that have Sirius built in, and a Yamaha receiver. I used to have Onkyo receiver that included Sirius. Point is, many COTS devices have Sirius included. Get one of those as your source.

Personally, I don't understand the appeal of Sonos. Can somebody explain it to me?
dangerousdave likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Just use a Connect:Amp if you want an independent, wirelessly controlled amp or if you already have the amp, just toss in a Sonos Connect (their pre-amp). These units of course have the ability to tie in with their wireless series of speakers if you so choose.
We decided on using 3 Sonos Connect Amps (in closet) to power 3 sets of Klipsch CDT-2800 in ceiling speakers + Sonos soundbar & sub-woofer. Two months so far and we LOVE the system especially being able to control everything from our phones. We use Sirius, Amazon and a few other music services. Oh, we are pulling in Sirius from Wi-Fi so no extra cables were needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspitzer View Post
Personally, I don't understand the appeal of Sonos. Can somebody explain it to me?
I'm sure there are better systems however, for us this works GREAT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page