Satellite monopoly, good or bad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Is a satellite radio monopoly good?
yes 1 20.00%
no 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2020, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to dnewhous Send a message via Skype™ to dnewhous
Talking Satellite merger, good or bad?

I think it's a good idea, because there weren't enough subscribers for 1 service much less 2. Also, music choice is their main competitor, and as long as golden oldies is maintained I like it as much as I liked satellite radio.

Internet radio, with Winamp running on fumes, is kind of not really relevant.

HD radio - if they knew the competition would develop their game, maybe they would have come up with a package that would have sold by now.

AM collisions happened in NYC, and from what I've read there are broadcast range issues.

I figured out what was causing satellite radio growing pains. The Dock & Play has an auxillary output, but that is not meant to connect to your car stereo. I just realized some people were using that to connect to a separate stereo in their cars, and not using the device to be heard by their vehicle stereo.

They are obviously emphasizing pre-installed car stereo for expansion.

Back to HD radio. The hitch is that if you design for broadcast range, don't you make interference more likely? Well, if only I know more. A hitch in the skynet rules allows for more range if the bandwidth is limited to 14 kHz. Thus, I think you need to put the low pass filter in the modulation scheme to make it work. And that's an extremely difficult concept. Low pass filters in the digital domain are not easy. In the analog, it's called an inductor.

Radio locator does list HD radio stations without describing them as HD. There is quite a bit more adoption of the transmission out there then when I checked about 10 years ago, but the number of systems with HD reception is minimal.

Daniel L Newhouse

Last edited by dnewhous; 04-29-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-02-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
I think its terrible.......

XM radio used to be excellent until Sirius bought them,now in my opinion they are both garbage.....

The only good thing about sirius is Howard Stern and Dr. Laura

I was JUST ABOUT to signup for XM .. Im so glad I didnt as 3 months later Sirius destroyed them.....

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, etc., are the real competition now. 15-20 years ago, none of those existed and you couldn't bring a phone in the car and get high quality music integrated into the car entertainment system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-03-2020, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Such bs. There are plenty of good things on Sirius XM. Dr. Laura sure as hell isn't one them.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2020, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
It would be nice if someone streamed her online!! (For awhile someone was streaming Howard Stern.. (Ah man!!))

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-07-2020, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Er, I meant "skywave" not "skynet." I see it is a phenomenon associated with shortwave transmission, it's a concern with AM only at night. The wikipedia does discuss this with AM clear channel transmission. I see, a clear channel station is one that avoids skywave interference.

I suppose the playlists now are very New York. Do they still play a lot of KISS on the Boneyard?

Daniel L Newhouse

Last edited by dnewhous; 05-07-2020 at 02:38 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2020, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

K, I got a 3 month trial for signing up after I saw the one month free ad on TV. I could say the playlist is a little narrow, but I don't know that many songs that would be recognizable. The tone they are shooting for is a concert PA before the band or intro starts. There's tone equalization and I think they are overdoing it a little bit. They do get a consistent low end from song to song.

Get rid of Britney Fox, Pantera, and Slayer and the selection would improve 100%.

Daniel L Newhouse
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think its terrible.......

XM radio used to be excellent until Sirius bought them,now in my opinion they are both garbage.....

I was JUST ABOUT to signup for XM .. Im so glad I didnt as 3 months later Sirius destroyed them.....

I agree about XM radio. It was great. They've gone down a notch since the Sirius acquisition.

As far as Howard and Dr. Laura, I wouldn't listen to either of them if they were free. I have three radios in three cars and they offered me all access for nothing as a trial. I told them not to give me the trial unless they dropped Howard Stern.

What's good about XM today?

Some stations I listen to frequently have remained the same under the Sirus/XM banner:

- 60s, 70s, Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks are all still the way I remember before the merger.
- They now allow free streaming on the app without having to purchase all access. That opens up a lot of stations that are only available for streaming. For example I always liked Holiday Pops during Xmas. Recently they had dropped it and only played it for 2 days at Xmas, but it's available after Thanksgiving on streaming.
- Symphony Hall, still a great station. Same DJs they've had forever.
- Millennium of Music on Symphony hall, a great show.
- Some good Jazz Stations.

I've basically stuck to a handful or two of stations I listened to before the merger and still like the service of those.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page