Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I wonder if its the reverse thing in USA and owners over there cant play PAL tapes through S-video? I am very interested to hear what you guys think. Thanks

US machines will NOT play PAL tapes/DVDs period
I think your issue might very well be CP and when running it through the DVD side to watch out of component it may think you are going to copy the tape. That or the conversion it does from NTSC to PAL only works out of the composite(yellow) and not component(red/green/blue). Glad you narrowed it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, i have not been tryng out of component yet, only out of S-video. Will see what happens with component. Its playing store bought PAL tapes out through s-video but not NTSC. My store bought PAL tapes have the usual copy protection warnings on the cover and before the movies so you would think they have CP too, but they play fine. Its just odd how when playing NTSC that that message comes up saying to watch VHS you need to use DVD/VHS common out and it also does something to the signal too which shows up on the screen but its not fussed with playing PAL through S-video. I will try out component out with various tapes and see what the results are there too.

I will try out some NTSC DVD's and see if they play ok too.
post #1443 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't know if I'm understanding your problem right, but is the recorder even set to display NTSC? I'm not totally sure, because I've never actually owned one myself, but with the PAL/NTSC, international models, or at least certain ones, you might have to specifically set it to output one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1444 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

US machines will NOT play PAL tapes/DVDs period
I think your issue might very well be CP and when running it through the DVD side to watch out of component it may think you are going to copy the tape. That or the conversion it does from NTSC to PAL only works out of the composite(yellow) and not component(red/green/blue). Glad you narrowed it down.

I’m only guessing here but to me it sounds like the NTSC conversion only works in composite. Doesn’t sound like a copy protection problem to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

…is the recorder even set to display NTSC? I'm not totally sure, but with the PAL/NTSC, international models, or at least certain ones, you might have to specifically set it to output one or the other.

The poster did state that NTSC tapes are working with a composite hook up but your suggestion of looking for an output setting mode (PAL or NTSC) is certainly worth looking into, as component signals are more complex and may require some manual switching mode.

Also, my JVC SVHS VCR has a composite or S-Video output setting in the menu and will only output over s-video when manually switched to that mode.
post #1445 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Well guys, i got good news!

I just went into 'settings' and set output to NTSC. It mucked up the DVB-T broadcast, but it could now play NTSC tapes through S-video. No onscreen message, no affected picture. I am very, very happy now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I switched it back to PAL and it no longer plays the NTSC through S-video correctly. So it seems to play tapes out of S-video you need to set the output to what the tape is. I have not tried playing a PAL tape through s-video with the output set at NTSC but i assume it will be the reverse thing for that. There is no issue playing PAL or NTSC through composite though. I still want to try component now.

Also if any new buyers of this unit are thinking why is there no eject button the remote, i can confirm there is an eject button on the remote. It explains it in the manual. A lot of reviews i have read have said theres no eject but i found it. I can only seem to get it to work for VHS though. Have not figured out if the DVD tray can be ejected by remote yet.
post #1446 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Also if any new buyers of this unit are thinking why is there no eject button the remote, i can confirm there is an eject button on the remote. It explains it in the manual. A lot of reviews i have read have said theres no eject but i found it. I can only seem to get it to work for VHS though. Have not figured out if the DVD tray can be ejected by remote yet.

Share it with us!!!

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1447 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Basically is says in my manual, press 'drive select' to get it to VHS mode, then press and hold the 'stop' button and out pops the VHS.
post #1448 of 1573 Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

Finally got a reply from panasonic support when i emailed them askign why i could not output VHS through s-video when the manual says i can. The response i got is a joke, the guy clearly had no idea of the product and actually emailed him back explaining how it can be done and schooled him on it (ofcourse thanks to you guys here for suggesting things to try)

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

The DMR-EZ48V is functioning correctly. The DVD Priority out if the DVD playback only, the on screen message is advising that you need to use a composite connection and quality VHS is not available through the DVD priority. This is used instead of just a blank screen.

Please contact Panasonic Customer Care on 132600 for further support.

Kind Regards,
post #1449 of 1573 Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 AM

Well i just tried out the component out connection and i can get both PAL and NTSC tapes to play. I still have to switch the settings to NTSC though. Now can i even output VHS through HDMI? Imagine that!!. Unfortuately i dont have a HDMI TV to try that yet. Still working with a little old CRT. I must say though, that these VHS tapes i have been experimenting with look outstanding on my TV. I dont know if its the panny or the fact that i am using S-vid or component connections but VHS does not seem all that bad really. I guess its being restricted by my TV though. My CRT makes really bad DVD's that look bad on my computer look really good.

I am quite pleased with the DVD/VCR combo. It will be good for light use/back up, which was my main reason for getting it. i thought if my JVC dies then i will be stuffed. I dont want to use it for everyday use as i want it to last. I wish i had got another stand alone S-VHS player with S-video output several years ago though. I have been searching and searching for any brand new 6 head HI-FI stand alone VCR or virtually any new non combo VCR but can not even find one anymore. Even brands like Phillips, Palsonic, Sharp, Akai. Only a few combos remain. I think i may have to look at getting a second hand one but i will see how well my old JVC works when i get it fixed up and serviced.

So far no regrets with the DMR-EZ48V
post #1450 of 1573 Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
Regrettably, my machine is now sitting in my garage on a shelf. I've exhausted many of the tips suggested here on how to fix a DVD `read' issue. I've cleaned the lens and spindle. I've tried all manner of resets. Nothing seems to be awry with the DVD mechanism itself.

I love this machine when it has worked. But on two occasions when I have tried to record a disc from TV, I allowed the disc to record to capacity and it somehow froze the machine. I cannot finalize from the screen menu. The option doesn't even show up on the menu. Worse yet, it does not play any disc, classifying all as unreadable.

Something's stuck -- whenever I insert any kind of disc, I get three high blip-like sounds about one second apart, and after a three-second pause, a lower blap-like sound followed by a read error message.

I had this issue a year or so ago and it resolved itself mysteriously. Don't remember what I did, and whatever I did, it was purely by accident. The machine has worked fine until I attempted a record procedure.

I tend to think there's a simple solution to this, but after poring through the volume of information on this site, I have not come across an answer that fits my problem. I don't want to chuck this machine, primarily since I'm in the middle of transferring a number of personal family videos to DVD. I'm open to any and all suggestions.
post #1451 of 1573 Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM

I am not able to help you but if you decide to send it to Panasonic have a think about it first. From my one response from them above i was not really impressed. the guy instantly said 'your machine is functioning correctly' and clearly lacked an understanding of the product and its features. of course i did find out it was ok, but i worked out it could do what he said it couldn't. I think the monkeys at the desks are given a set of standard responses as its not the first time i have heard Panasonic support say 'Your machine is functioning correctly' and i have heard heaps of people in USA have issues with Panasonic service there. They basically get told there is nothing wrong with your unit and tell you to go away. If they do want to be nice and help, just be aware that parts could cost more than buying another unit, but i know how much that sucks as you have something thats not totally worthy of bin material so you dont want to chuck it out. Thats why i prefer to fix and restore things because i dont like to chuck anything out that is fixable and could be made to work again.

I hava a problem with my DVD drive in my computer. It wont burn DVD's or even format a DVD but it will format a CD. I have only burned maybe 4 DVD's and less than 30 CD's in the 3 years i have had this computer but i cant figure out why its stopped writing DVD's I bought a Memorex DVD laser cleaner disc but that was useless, would not even load/play. Just sat there and ginded/clunked away doing nothing. The drive still reads DVD's and CD's fine, but just wont write or format DVD's but i dont know why. So i can understand your frustration.

Maybe its a firmware issue? can you download firmware for it and reload it?????
post #1452 of 1573 Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarastew View Post

Regrettably, my machine is now sitting in my garage on a shelf. I've exhausted many of the tips suggested here on how to fix a DVD `read' issue. I've cleaned the lens and spindle. I've tried all manner of resets. Nothing seems to be awry with the DVD mechanism itself...

... whenever I insert any kind of disc, I get three high blip-like sounds about one second apart, and after a three-second pause, a lower blap-like sound followed by a read error message...

I had this issue a year or so ago and it resolved itself mysteriously. Don't remember what I did, and whatever I did, it was purely by accident. The machine has worked fine until I attempted a record procedure...

The DMR-EZ48, as with other EZ series Panasonic recorders, is full of design flaws and bugs that have plagued owners since EZ series models first went on sale in 2007. The DMR-EZ48 model first went on sale in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarastew View Post

I tend to think there's a simple solution to this, but after poring through the volume of information on this site, I have not come across an answer that fits my problem. I don't want to chuck this machine, primarily since I'm in the middle of transferring a number of personal family videos to DVD. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

LISTEN TO THE DVD DRIVE! IT'S TRYING TO TELL YOU WHAT THE MATTER MIGHT BE.

The DVD Drive might make "grinding" noises with a soiled rubber hub and spindle area or "clunking," "chugging" or "errrp" noises with a dirty lens or a failed laser assembly.

If the "no read" situation persists after the lens and hub/spindle cleaning, there are "clunking," "chugging" or "errrp" noises and/or U61, U88 or U99 errors reported at the front panel display, parts replacement is/are indicated.

Under the last described circumstances the most common problem would be a dirty laser lens or a failed laser assembly (the "optical pick-up" in Panasonic terminology). Of course, if there has been some disturbance to a ribbon cable there might be a misaligned or damaged ribbon cable contact. Other problems might be a problematic DVD Drive on-board controller PCB or a problematic Digitial PCB.

One needs ask onself if it would be cost effective to repair or exchange a DMR-EZ48 through Panasonic's McAllen Texas facility.

The better alternative is to send a Private Message to mickinct for more information and advice.

I'm a Panasonic power-user with around thirty 2005-2009 Panasonic recorders (including three HDD/DVD models). I service and repair my own Panasonics when the need arises. Of my six EZ series Panasonics two are still in use (both currently accumulating around 80 recording hours per month), three EZ models have experienced failed laser assemblies (these recorders are now regarded as part's machines) and one DMR-EZ47 (the 2007 version of your EZ48) is still functional but has been set aside as a fourth parts machine. My heavily used but fully functional 2005 and 2006 model year ES series models are set aside as standby recorders while several other 2006 models remain in daily use (each currently accumulating more than 100 recording hours per month).

I also own around a dozen recent and current model Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD recorders. My experience with these Funai-manufactured recorders is that they seldom require servicing or repair.

If you're on a tight budget you might consider purchasing a like-new factory refurbished Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder offered (from time to time) by jr.com:

http://www.jr.com/magnavox/pe/MAG_MDR515H_hy_RB/

(As I compose this post J&R is currently sold out but check back later for new stock.)

With a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder just connect your VCR or DMR-EZ48 to a Magnavox input, play your videotapes while the material is recorded in real time to the Magnavox's internal hard drive, edit/divide the material if you wish, then high-speed dub the material to DVDs.

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning recent and current Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1453 of 1573 Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM

DigaDo wrote: "On the DMR-EZ48V is there a menu that allows copying with the Time Limited and Flexible copying features?"

Hey, shout out to DigaDo! We emailed a while back, do you remember me?

Anyway, gotta question for you about our wonderful DMR-EZ48V.

On Page 51 of the Users Manual, it talks about a "Signal Strength Meter". I read this and went HUH? Never seen this in any of the menus. Does it exist? It is something you can bring up on the screen and look at the signal strength of different antenna signals?

Hope you're still kickin' it out there somewhere.

Take care,
James
post #1454 of 1573 Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I believe it only works for ANTENNA and you access it by pushing up the DISPLAY or maybe STATUS button. Of course I could be 100% wrong and it only works for CABLE, I never use it but I do know it only works for one or the the other setting.
post #1455 of 1573 Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

DigaDo wrote: "On the DMR-EZ48V is there a menu that allows copying with the Time Limited and Flexible copying features?"

Hey, shout out to DigaDo! We emailed a while back, do you remember me?

Anyway, gotta question for you about our wonderful DMR-EZ48V.

On Page 51 of the Users Manual, it talks about a "Signal Strength Meter". I read this and went HUH? Never seen this in any of the menus. Does it exist? It is something you can bring up on the screen and look at the signal strength of different antenna signals?

Hope you're still kickin' it out there somewhere.

Take care,
James

Yes, that was just before Christmas 2009:

Quote:

DigaDo,

Been meaning to send you a PM. Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for enlightening me on so many things about the Panny DVDr's.

Say, where did everyone go suddenly on our "OFFICIAL DMR EZ48" thread? Hope I didn't frost the forum. Are you a moderator there?

Anyway, hope you're having a great one! Take care, talk to you later.

James

At that time I resopnded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

James,

Thanks for writing.

The DMR-EZ48 has its good and bad points. Since I often dwell too much on the bad points I wouldn't be surprised to get kicked off the EZ threads as folks don't want a "Diga" guy giving advice as to how great the Maggie 2160 is.

Best Wishes,

DigaDo

I don't have a DMR-EZ48 so I didn't comment on that feature. I have the earlier (2007) DMR-EZ47 version of the DMR-EZ48 but I've never set it up for regular use. The EZ47 is set aside for standby use or as a "parts machine."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #1456 of 1573 Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Digido,

Hey great to see ya out there again.

I found the signal strength meter! The Owner's Manual was kind of vague, only said it exists, but didn't give much information on how to find it. Jjeff was right, it's accessed by the Display button on the remote.

Press Display, then scroll down to "Other", and there it is. As noted, it works only on Antenna. It's useful for fine tuning your antenna orientation.

There's a box just below the Signal Strength meter called "Position", and I thought that might be something like antenna roation -- but that box only determines where the signal strength window is positioned on your screen (4 choices).

I just recently put up a low-cost rabbit ears HD antenna, and I was quite surprised at how many local stations it can pull in. Of course the one station I really like, is in the fringe zone and it flakes out frequently. Would anyone know what the minimum signal strength threshold is for the tuner to lock on?

Thanks again for the great forum,
James
post #1457 of 1573 Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 AM

So here's my story. Have 4 year old Pana DMR-EZ485K.
It works great, 99% of the time but we all know that
The build quality is nice, the menus are good and am more than happy performance. BUT, as we all know the firmware is BUGGY as heck and that is truly a shame for a Pana.....

Have it connected directly to Verizon FIOS cable to record local network shows for my wife. The digital tuner works just fine. Auto Clock finds time on the local PBS (I assume its that channel as it doesn't tell you what channel its using). But every 1 - 2 weeks it freezes or starts to lose channels. It seems to sometimes lose a channel that it was tuned to when shut off. Anyway, disconnect plug, count 30, plug in and good to go.... Noticed a new FW DF-366 that I will have to try.

Well, I got an idea a couple months ago, plug unit into digital timer and have timer power off unit every M/W/F at 1AM until 3:30AM. Figured this would give me my periodic reset. It worked great for a couple months, wife got all her shows, no problem losing clock or schedule, etc.... Until last week.

Now when you disconnect the AC plug, the unit remembers the time but doesn't update it. So if I unplug for 1 minute, the clock falls 1 minute behind.
2 minutes, 2 minutes behind. Not a prob, but two days later its still 2 minutes behind and auto clock does not seem to have done an update. I can go in to functions and perform an Auto clock and it finds the channel and updates the time... It just won't do it on its own. So the questions to some of you guys...

(1) When AC is unplugged, is the unit supposed to keep updating the time (but of course not display it)???

(2) When AC is plugged back in, doesn't it automatically perform an Auto-clock to update the time (remember it is configured for Auto and I can perform one on command)??

(3) Does unit have periodic turn ons to go out and get the clock (like the Mag 515 checks time at 12 noon and midnight)??

(4) Could I have a dead battery in unit (i.e. something like the coin cell used to back up CMOS memory in a PC)??? or is it just capacitor?? I see some have opened unit and played with the insides??? I'm wondering if my 2.5 hour power outages 3 times a week has weakened a battery.

My first step will be to start with the latest FW DF-366 as my unit is at DF-358.

Thanks in advance for any insight....
post #1458 of 1573 Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraujr View Post

So here's my story. Have 4 year old Pana DMR-EZ485K.
It works great, 99% of the time but we all know that
The build quality is nice, the menus are good and am more than happy performance. BUT, as we all know the firmware is BUGGY as heck and that is truly a shame for a Pana.....In frustration, tried new Mag 515, but it didn't work well on my FIOS (seemed like tuner wasn't very sensitive) and I personally felt the design/build feel was a little lower end...

Have it connected directly to Verizon FIOS cable to record local network shows for my wife. The digital tuner works just fine. Auto Clock finds time on the local PBS (I assume its that channel as it doesn't tell you what channel its using). But every 1 - 2 weeks it freezes or starts to lose channels. It seems to sometimes lose a channel that it was tuned to when shut off. Anyway, disconnect plug, count 30, plug in and good to go....

I have a EZ48 and a 515 on FiOS. For both of your recorders it might help to disconnect the coax and run the channel scan to clear all the channels from memory. After doing that, run the channel scan again with the coax still removed until it progresses past digital channel 10, then re-connect the coax. FiOS uses some of the lower channel frequencies for scrambled channels and on demand services. Your "good" channels are actually carried on higher channel frequencies but they get mapped to lower channel numbers. If you have a good channel that gets mapped to one of those lower numbers already being used by the on demand service it creates a conflict. Running the channel scan with the coax removed until it passes those lower channel numbers prevents the conflict and allows the good channels to map correctly. This prevents the recorder from looking for a time signal on those scrambled on demand service channels.

The Magnavox recorder will not set the clock automatically when you have Auto Clock set to "Auto" unless you have analog channels. FiOS is all digital so Auto Clock "Auto" doesn't work. You can use Auto Clock "Manual" to force the recorder to set the time from a specific digital channel as described here: 11:57 Procedure (skip down to step 2).
post #1459 of 1573 Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks for reply. I reread my post and realize I may have confused by mentioning Mag 515 which I ended up returning. My post and questions is about the EZ48/EZ485.
post #1460 of 1573 Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for reply. I reread my post and realize I may have confused by mentioning Mag 515 which I ended up returning. My post and questions is about the EZ48/EZ485.

No problem. The first paragraph applied to the Magnavox and Panasonic recorders both. Re-programming the EZ48 channels with the cable off until it gets past digital 10 is still worth trying.
post #1461 of 1573 Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

So I'm playing with my DMR-EZ485VK today..
Ran FW DF-366 (was at DF-358) update and that went smoothly.
Had to use Ch Up and Down to force unit to restart configuration from scratch.
Ran the auto-ch program and getting problematic results... So I'm trying your
technique. So first, run auto-ch scan with coax disconnected to make sure everything is cleared...
Then I will try you "wait till past digital ch 10" technique...But some questions.

(1) In my area I have 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1... for local networks (standard digital definition, not HD)..but you're saying that these channels are not carried on the actual "digital" channel displayed during auto-tuning, but are carried on higher numbers.. So I assume the ch number I see (i.e. 2-1, 4-1, etc. is a "mapped" channel number. ???

(2) Curious, how did you figure to wait until after Channel 10???

(3) I only need about 9 channels to record my wifes shows... Is there a way to reconnect coax ann just manually program 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc... the channels I need??????

Update: After "clearing channels" with no coax connected, I went into Manual Channels and all the Analog Channels were Added and no digital... Didn't seem to be a way to manually enter the digital chs I wanted.. So I think I answered Question 3 unless you have some "trick"...

I reran the auto-scan with cable connected the whole time to see if I just needed to "clear" the channels first... But I got same problematics results and "funny" tuning for some of my channels.... Now will do another "clear" and this time try your Dig Ch 10 technique..
post #1462 of 1573 Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

(1) In my area I have 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, and 9.1... for local networks (standard digital definition, not HD)..but you're saying that these channels are not carried on the actual "digital" channel displayed during auto-tuning, but are carried on higher numbers.. So I assume the ch number I see (i.e. 2-1, 4-1, etc. is a "mapped" channel number. ???

Yes.
Quote:

(2) Curious, how did you figure to wait until after Channel 10???

I did a lot of manual tuning with other model DVD recorders and digital TVs and I've played around with TSReader Lite with my PC tuner card. I know this method works well for me. I read on various forums that FiOS uses a similar channel arrangement in most areas so it will likely work for you.
Quote:

(3) I only need about 9 channels to record my wifes shows... Is there a way to reconnect coax ann just manually program 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc... the channels I need??????

Most of the major networks are up above channel 60. I get a couple of Spanish language channels at 26 and WGN at 55. If you don't want any of those you could wait until it passes 55 to plug the coax in.
Quote:

Update: After "clearing channels" with no coax connected, I went into Manual Channels and all the Analog Channels were Added and no digital... Didn't seem to be a way to manually enter the digital chs I wanted.. So I think I answered Question 3 unless you have some "trick"...

I don't know how you got those. There shouldn't be any analogs unless they were left there from a channel scan from some other service.

Quote:

Now will do another "clear" and this time try your Dig Ch 10 technique..

Please post your results after the scan.
post #1463 of 1573 Old 02-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Well let me start by saying kudos to Ken F.
I tried your Dig Ch 10 technique and I had much better results. I am quite frankly amazed that you figured this out. I am an electrical engineer designing digital electronics and embedded computers for going on 28 years so can assure you that your technique is quite a discovery.. Sad we have to go through it, but happy you developed it...

I have removed timer from AC plug, and I am going to see how well its works with new firmware and the Dig Ch 10 technique...

I had to go back and manually "Delete" a few but thats OK (for example it found all the pay-per-view hockey channels).. I just need a stable DVR to record network shows for my wife. She doesn't like how the FIOS Home DVR works (personally I love it even at $20 per month). But she has this one quirk developed during the VCR days. She likes to pause her shows and watch local news and then resume her recorded show. With FIOS DVR it a fair number of clicks and she hates it....

Now being an engineer I always want to refine the process. Specifically the selection of Ch. 10......

(1) Are ther any websites that have mapped out the FIOS channels that I could reuse to refine the Ch. 10 to say 20 or 30, etc... Knowing some of the channels I got, or at least where FIOS puts my locals would be great. I know you mentioned 55....Be nice to find a table somewhere...

Thanks.
post #1464 of 1573 Old 02-17-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

(1) Are ther any websites that have mapped out the FIOS channels that I could reuse to refine the Ch. 10 to say 20 or 30, etc... Knowing some of the channels I got, or at least where FIOS puts my locals would be great. I know you mentioned 55....Be nice to find a table somewhere...

Thanks.

I'm happy it worked for you. The only refinement that I can think of is putting an A-B switch on the cable and leave one leg open. Switch it on for the channels you want and and off for the channels you don't want during the channel scan.

You can try looking up your channels at SiliconDust. Enter your zip code, then on the next page select your cable company from the drop down list. Don't expect every channel to be correct. SiliconDust has been mostly right for my channels but others report it to be totally wrong.
post #1465 of 1573 Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM

So I ended up going to www.silicondust.com and bringing up the FIOS maps and came to conclusion WGN at 55 thru the 70s would get me my locals. Definitely saw at 92 more PPV... So I ended up connecting coax at Dig Ch 50 and then disconnect at Dig Ch 90 and let complete. When it said complete, I reattached coax and all worked well. Not too much cleanup and I have the standard network channels..plus a few extras..like WGN

Auto Clock worked great and I programmed my schedule... Now time will tell how stable it is with DF-366 FW and the Dig Ch technique...
post #1466 of 1573 Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 AM

My Panny and I have been together 3 years now, and it's been a happy relationship. Mine was a refurb'd unit from Heartland America. Liked it so much I got a 2'nd unit from Ebay. The 2'nd unit is in the living room connected to cable, and she's the heart of the entertainment center in there. My 1'st unit is in my bedroom, running on a low-cost set of rabbit ears, and she works great. I don't have a digital TV in the house, only analog ones, and the DMR-48's serve as my converters. Other than the rare occasional lockups, both units have performed flawlessly for me.

Sad to hear Panny has discontinued the DMR-48. Guess that means there will be progressivelly fewer of them out there in the used market. Was thinking of getting a 3'rd. My Panny doesn't seem to mind if I bring home another one .

This forum has been wonderful in helping me learn about these units, both the good parts and the bad, faster than I would have been able to on my own. Diga-Do, Jjeff, Adorable, and many others -- thanks for sharing your wisdoms and experiences.

Has anyone tried the laser life test? The service manual says it's a way to check on the health of the laser and the number of hours it has run. Hey I'll bet Diga-Do's hours are waaaayyyy up there .

There's also something the the service manual about how to check what version of firmware is loaded into your unit. Gotta go review that, been a while since I read it.

I've been using DVD-RAM to record local news broadcasts for later viewing. I'll go through them and edit out little clips of what I find interesting. I know the editing is really a series of progressive divisions, which is time consuming and inelegant, but it can be done. The result is a collection of little video clips that show up individually on the DVD-RAM menu. In playback, they sequence automatically from one to the next. I wonder if there's a way to archive them to DVD-R in such a way that it would preserve the individual clips, rather than making one big long video.

I've also used the JPEG playback from USB. It works as advertised. In the slideshow mode, though, the system insists on sequencing the JPEGs in order of their Date and Timestamp. I wonder if there's some setting that will let it sequence the JPEGs according to their file Name.

We're at 49 pages here now. I've been reading and studying, up to page 29 so far. I look over at my Panny as I write this, and she tells me it's after 1am and I should be coming to bed. Yes dear, just a moment... no I wasn't talking about you, I promise.
post #1467 of 1573 Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

I've been using DVD-RAM to record local news broadcasts for later viewing. I'll go through them and edit out little clips of what I find interesting. I know the editing is really a series of progressive divisions, which is time consuming and inelegant, but it can be done. The result is a collection of little video clips that show up individually on the DVD-RAM menu. In playback, they sequence automatically from one to the next. I wonder if there's a way to archive them to DVD-R in such a way that it would preserve the individual clips, rather than making one big long video.

This would sacrifice picture quality but...

You could dub the DVD Ram disc to vhs tape. If I recall correctly, when using the dubbing option under the Functions menu, individual titles on the disc will get a title index marker during the dub to tape-meaning each segment on the tape would (should) be marked as an individual 'Start' recorded program. Then place a DVD-R or -RW in, and dub the tape to disc with the Functions menu dub option, rather than the one touch button on the console. Each segment then would be broken into their own titles instead of one continuous block with chapters...

It's been a while since I played with this...but I do know that one of the 2 dubbing procedures will accomplish this. Use a DVD-RW and try both ways if my first recollection is incorrect.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1468 of 1573 Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

...Has anyone tried the laser life test? The service manual says it's a way to check on the health of the laser and the number of hours it has run. Hey I'll bet Diga-Do's hours are waaaayyyy up there .

There's also something the the service manual about how to check what version of firmware is loaded into your unit. Gotta go review that, been a while since I read it.

I've been using DVD-RAM...

We're at 49 pages here now. I've been reading and studying, up to page 29 so far. I look over at my Panny as I write this, and she tells me it's after 1am and I should be coming to bed. Yes dear, just a moment... no I wasn't talking about you, I promise.

I maintain recording logs to track recording hours. My recorders are not used for playing DVDs so my recording logs are good enough to track my usage.

Be careful when using Service Mode. A blundered command could be disaster.

Notice that some Service Mode utilities call for the use of DVD-RAM discs. I've never used DVD-RAM discs.

Sometimes I'm on BenzWorld or TCM at 3:00 a.m.

And now, on my way to BenzWorld...

post #1469 of 1573 Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Be careful when using Service Mode. A blundered command could be disaster. Notice that some Service Mode utilities call for the use of DVD-RAM discs. I've never used DVD-RAM discs.

Yes, I equate Service Mode with RegEdit -- use either of these only with great caution.

Quote:

Sometimes I'm on BenzWorld or TCM at 3:00 a.m. And now, on my way to BenzWorld...

You're a Benz owner too? Hey I knew there was something special about you. I have a 1977 280 SE sitting mothballed in the garage. I keep wanting to roll it out and put it on the road again, but it's always work, or mowing, or gardening, or playing with the Panny, that seem to keep me from getting to that. Ah well, someday.
post #1470 of 1573 Old 02-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Does anyone know if you can output the audio from VHS through the optical audio out?

Still amazed at how big this thread is. Either a lot of people are having problems or heaps of people have got one and they are really popular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page