Pioneer DVR-7000 Do you know anything about it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I hate to start a new thread on this probably old DVDR but I did several searches but could find no thread on this unit. Only vague references in other threads.
I saw this unit which was called 7000 Elite at my local Pawn America. It looked like at one time it was a spendy unit but was it one of the "good" Pios or bad ones? I don't even know if it has a HDD and no one at the store knew either. They couldn't find the manual but were sure it was somewherealong with the remote.
For the $299 it better have a HDD and be a good unit at that. Sometimes their prices are way out of whack so who knows. Anyone know anything about this unit. I suppose I could try and navigate the Pioneer website, but the last time i tried that it kept crashing and giving me errors
The unit had a 3 sets of AV inputs(most I've ever seen on a DVDR) and a DV input, so maybe it's not that old, it sure had a quality build about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
It's a 2002 model and came highly recommended by CNET (8.0 out of 10) when reviewed here.

Originally had a 2-year warranty!

MSRP $1999 (when discs were "$10-20 each").
post #3 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It won't work with the "Plus" media (not sure if that would concern you or not) and it has a maximum capacity of 2 Hours per disc.

I don't go over two hours a lot, but I like being able to when I need to.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Up to 6 hours on a DVD-RW... at 32 rec modes from 61 min. to 360 min. (prob. the start of Pio's MN modes?)!
post #5 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Wajo The cnet link calls the DV looking port a "firewire" port. Does this mean it would record from certain STB's that have a firewire out, or just camcorder output? If it is firewire I wonder how it would handle the HD output that STB's output to firewire. I mean DVD standard is 480 so I can't imagine it could do better than that. It didn't have component input, that I did notice, and no 5.1 was mentioned in the cnet review. The article also says the DV port is also a digital output? I wounder if it's like the DVI standard?

I'll have to say it sure seemed like a quality unit. Kind of like my $1200 1982 VCR, although I certainly wouldn't pay anything like that anymore. One would easily say about this unit, "they don't make em like that anymore", but since it doesn't have a HDD even $299 seems a little steep, unless maybe for a collector. I suppose someday it may become a antique, although my old VCR hasn't become one yet and that's 25 years old

Was their ever a thread on this unit? I really found nothing when doing a AVS search on it. Do searches also look in the archives? If not I guess I didn't try those.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM

You'd think if "That little FireWire jack also acts as an output" for DVD-Video then it'd also work as an input for more than a camera!?
post #7 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM

post #8 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

1 hour later......thanks again Wajo. Kinda fun reading those archived posts. I even searched a older set and got posts from '03. Not too many people I recognize from those. Vic was one I still see around and I think I still see posts from JeffWld. The oldest member was someone with a Feb 00 start date. I think maybe I've seen a few posts from Squonk too.

Well I think the consensus from those threads would be to not get the 7000. Even though it sounds like it was built like a tank and provided great recording(be it only 2hrs/R disc). Seems like I would have a major problem getting media slow enough to work for it. Sounds like it likes 2x or 4x. Who the heck knows where to get that anymore. I rarely see 8x, pretty much all 16x now days.

Well it was fun strolling down memory lane anyway. I suppose Pawn America just went off the retail price of $1999 and figured selling it for $299 was a good deal. Now maybe if they had $99 on it I might pick it up just to see "how things used to be made" but not $299. Kinda funny those archived posts. Seems like the Panny vs. Pio war has been going on long before I got into DVDR's in '05.

I'd bet Ramm would like one of these. It would go along nice with his "Elite" plasma and his vintage quality built Sony DVR I could also see Citibear with one of these, I think he's a longtime Pio guy.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
It was a gorgeous unit for its time but WAY too old to even consider using today unless you have a VERY specialized purpose that requires its relatively rare bidirectional FireWire/DV connection (and even for that, you'd be much better off with a later model 510 or 520). Its encoding quality isn't the best, and the burner in most Pio 7000 units is shot to hell by now. Also as you've learned, even if it worked it would be near-impossible to find media for it. There are some dedicated preservers of lovely old hardware who have managed to successfully transplant a more current burner into the Pio 7000, but that convoluted transplant operation isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

Unless you have a "private electronics museum" (many of us do), its effectively "worthless" beyond being pretty to look at and a reminder of the nice gear made for early adopters with high incomes.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the post Citibear. I figured if anyone knew about this Pio "antique" it would be you. I suppose it would look good next to my other antiques on shelves. My $1200 RCA VCR or my (2) $1500 Sony SL-5800 Betamaxes or even my $3000 Nakamichi 700ZXL audio cassette deck. With the exception of the RCA none were purchased new for those crazy prices but I do appreciate the built quality of those early machines. The problem with something like the DVR-700 would be the media. I've got many blank Beta, VHS, and Audio Cassettes but I think finding 2 or 4x DVD media would be harder than a Beta tape. If it had a HDD then it would operate as a standalone device, but without that it's more show and less go. I'll be curious to see if anyone buys it, and what price they get it for. I pity the poor sap who buys it unaware of all the potential pitfalls thinking their getting a regular DVDR.
I'm still keeping my eye out for a old Panasonic EH-75 or even a EH-55 since Panasonic seems to be my niche. Sounds like they were kind of the pinnacle of Panasonic's line. I really wish I would have bought a new one at the time(DVDR w/HDD). I'm sure if I had I wouldn't have looked twice at a non HDD unit. I guess I kind of lost track of cutting edge electronics in the early 00's, raising kids and all kinda took most of my time
post #11 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

It was a gorgeous unit for its time but WAY too old to even consider using today unless you have a VERY specialized purpose that requires its relatively rare bidirectional FireWire/DV connection (and even for that, you'd be much better off with a later model 510 or 520). Its encoding quality isn't the best, and the burner in most Pio 7000 units is shot to hell by now. Also as you've learned, even if it worked it would be near-impossible to find media for it. There are some dedicated preservers of lovely old hardware who have managed to successfully transplant a more current burner into the Pio 7000, but that convoluted transplant operation isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet.

Unless you have a "private electronics museum" (many of us do), its effectively "worthless" beyond being pretty to look at and a reminder of the nice gear made for early adopters with high incomes.

I disagree. I still have one of the original units. It works perfect and encoding quality is very good. It uses LSI Logic MPEG-2 encoder that was used in professional encoders. As far as media, there is no problem. I use Tayo Yuden 16x all the time. As long as it has the latest firmare you can use any blanks.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

1 hour later......thanks again Wajo. Kinda fun reading those archived posts. I even searched a older set and got posts from '03. Not too many people I recognize from those. Vic was one I still see around and I think I still see posts from JeffWld. The oldest member was someone with a Feb 00 start date. I think maybe I've seen a few posts from Squonk too.

Well I think the consensus from those threads would be to not get the 7000. Even though it sounds like it was built like a tank and provided great recording(be it only 2hrs/R disc). Seems like I would have a major problem getting media slow enough to work for it. Sounds like it likes 2x or 4x. Who the heck knows where to get that anymore. I rarely see 8x, pretty much all 16x now days.

Well it was fun strolling down memory lane anyway. I suppose Pawn America just went off the retail price of $1999 and figured selling it for $299 was a good deal. Now maybe if they had $99 on it I might pick it up just to see "how things used to be made" but not $299. Kinda funny those archived posts. Seems like the Panny vs. Pio war has been going on long before I got into DVDR's in '05.

I'd bet Ramm would like one of these. It would go along nice with his "Elite" plasma and his vintage quality built Sony DVR I could also see Citibear with one of these, I think he's a longtime Pio guy.

You can use 16x media as long as it has the latest firmware. You can download it from Pioneer website.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the post Citibear. I figured if anyone knew about this Pio "antique" it would be you. I suppose it would look good next to my other antiques on shelves. My $1200 RCA VCR or my (2) $1500 Sony SL-5800 Betamaxes or even my $3000 Nakamichi 700ZXL audio cassette deck. With the exception of the RCA none were purchased new for those crazy prices but I do appreciate the built quality of those early machines. The problem with something like the DVR-700 would be the media. I've got many blank Beta, VHS, and Audio Cassettes but I think finding 2 or 4x DVD media would be harder than a Beta tape. If it had a HDD then it would operate as a standalone device, but without that it's more show and less go. I'll be curious to see if anyone buys it, and what price they get it for. I pity the poor sap who buys it unaware of all the potential pitfalls thinking their getting a regular DVDR.
I'm still keeping my eye out for a old Panasonic EH-75 or even a EH-55 since Panasonic seems to be my niche. Sounds like they were kind of the pinnacle of Panasonic's line. I really wish I would have bought a new one at the time(DVDR w/HDD). I'm sure if I had I wouldn't have looked twice at a non HDD unit. I guess I kind of lost track of cutting edge electronics in the early 00's, raising kids and all kinda took most of my time

As I said earlier, you can use any blank DVD-R if you have the latest firmware. I use my machine to record wedding videos for customers. Also what is nice is that flags widescreen video properly. It either does it automatically, or you can force it.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since member CKNA apparently still uses a 7000, and professionally no less, he would seem to be the "final authority" on its current viability. If he says Pioneer is still updating it, and it can easily be set for 16x media, then anyone who ALREADY HAS an old 7000 that they picked up cheap and are not using should definitely pursue CKNA's suggestions.

As a counterpoint for the average user, however, I still do respectfully recommend NOT paying a significant price to buy one used if you DON'T already own one. The 7000, being a very early model, had various versions. Some are better than others and it is not always easy to tell from a quick look at the outside which one you have. Like any other piece of electronics, the 7000 is the sum of its parts AND how they were put together. It can have the greatest encoder of 2003, but it is still from 2003 and there are reported issues with some of them not being implemented up to par considering the cost of the unit. Some of them create funky DVDs that are difficult to import into some PC re-authoring applications. The 7000 does not have an HDD, so no editing is possible and DVD menus are text-only. The widescreen setting is nice but of little utility without an HDD for the average user: for that, get a later Toshiba DVR or just use a PC. Think of the Pioneer 7000 as the video equivalent of the early CD Audio recorders: insanely expensive, and utterly obsoleted within two years by better, cheaper products.

At the time it was sold, the Pioneer 7000 was an amazing unit and one of the first well-done DVD recorders. But we live in a fast moving tech world where 6 years is an eternity: the 7000 is now archaic. If you own one and it still works well, fantastic: its a great piece and deserves to be used for as long as it holds up. But it would be folly to pay $300 for a used one unless you ALREADY know the unit very well, have a specific use in mind for it, and can maintain/upgrade it. If you just want to own one for historical value, pick up a broken but mint one for $90, they turn up on eBay now and then. Otherwise, there are far better choices for someone who needs a daily-use DVR.
post #15 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

You can use 16x media as long as it has the latest firmware. You can download it from Pioneer website.

Yes nice to hear from someone still using one. The threads I were reading were mostly dated '04-05 so maybe they were incorrect or outdated about the media problems, although I'd have to agree more with Citibear. For a day in day out unit I think others would probably be a better choice. Sure a nice looking recorder though!
post #16 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

...My $1200 RCA VCR or my (2) $1500 Sony SL-5800 Betamaxes or even my $3000 Nakamichi 700ZXL audio cassette deck. With the exception of the RCA none were purchased new for those crazy prices but I do appreciate the built quality of those early machines.

Even once they're outmoded, you gotta love some of the old stuff. If you could justify its price at the time because you got a lot of use out of it, or picked it up later for peanuts, they are really inspiring pieces of hardware to keep around the house (assuming you have the display space.) In the early video days I rented the RCA you had, loved its convenience but didn't love its lousy VHS image quality circa 1981. I ended up spending three weeks pay for your Sony SL-5800 Betamax and enjoyed using it for years. The most incredible build quality of any consumer VCR, the operational feel of its soft-touch solenoid piano-key controls never equaled by any other recording device. Most of all, I *loved* the exclusive BetaStack automated tape changer attachment that would automatically eject and load up to four tapes in accordance with the VCRs timer settings- you had to see this little mechanical marvel in action to believe it, and even then you'd rub your eyes. Sony used to have some very creative tricks back in its heyday, before it mutated into the "PlayStation company".

Sadly the Achilles Heel of all Betamaxes pre-1990 was frequent transport breakdowns. I finally gave up and sold mine to a scammer who gave me a bad check for it . My revenge was, he noted on the check it was a "VHS", so the joke was on him when he tried to fence it .
post #17 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

AG-300 was the Betastacker. I've got one too. In reality I really never used it for real. Just tried it and noted how cool it worked. I think I got at a garage sale for ~$10 or something ridiculous. Gotta love those "piano keys", the ones on the Sony were actually not really mechanical like most all others. As you noted they were electric but retained the mechanical look. Worked quite well with the AG-300.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:

At the risk of asking a potentially stupid question.. where on the website can I download the firmware upgrade? I have an old DVR-7000 (got it right around when it first hit the market), but have thought for a while it was broken. I'm starting to think it just lacks the firmware upgrade (I had sent it in once to get repaired and they were supposed to have done the firmware upgrade then.. guess that never happened). I have a 520 that is still in excellent working condition, but as someone trying to convert a massive collection of VHS tapes to DVD, couldnt hurt to have 2 working DVD recorders.

This is television. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want!
post #19 of 29 Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I still have my DVR-7000.. got it new back in '03.. I still use it, do not have problems with it. Records very nicely. Let's see.. as for the firmware, for the standalone models, you had to call pioneer, give them the serial number and they sent you a dvd along with instructions to boot (the Burners, you could download from their website) the firmware was installed automatically from the disk. Sorry, don't remember the details and have long since lost the disc with the firmware. You might try calling Pioneer in Long Beach. 1800-421-1404

edit: I do like it. But I would not recommend purchasing one it's just too old, and while good (excellent in it time), it probably won't be as good or have the features available with the new generation recorders.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #20 of 29 Old 05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello JJeff.

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but when I saw a thread regarding the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000, I was surprised!
I currently own and use a DVR-7000. Is it an old unit. Yes it is. Is it functional? Absolutely! I use it to record various programs that I may want to keep long term or for future reference. I also use it on occasion for dvd playback. Give you an example. A few of years back, I replaced my original version of the "Bourne Identity" with the "Explosive Extended Edition" dvd. At that time, I had recently purchased a Sony DVPNC555ES DVD Changer, a nice piece in it's own right. I put the new "Bourne EEE" dvd in the Sony and the Sony for some reason could not play the disc. The error message kept popping up "dirty disc"! So, just to see if it would play in another dvd player, I put the disc in the Pioneer. guess what, it worked flawlessly! Picture quality wasn't bad either. On par with the Sony although the Sony has a 12bit/216MHz video DAC, while the Pioneer sports a 10bit/54MHz DAC. Couldn't tell the difference. This has happen with several new dvd's. Recording: Yes my player has the latest firmware update. That was done prior to me picking it up from the retailer. I call Pioneer and confirmed that my serial # was current for any and all updates. Recording quality is decent. It's not hi def by no stretch of the imagination. But it's acceptable.
Then there's the build quality of the unit. This one is built to the 9's! Plus it's a nice looking piece. Plus I like the LED meter readout for L & R audio.
I agree with some of the other posters, it's a dinosaur no doubt. If you can find a newer DVD recorder, then do so. But if you can get it for the price you want to spend,..$99.00 was it?!!, then by all means, jump on it!
I've attached a photo of my video rack set up and a comparison test.

Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 Review.pdf 391.943359375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 Review.pdf (391.9 KB, 192 views)

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #21 of 29 Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Nice looking rack, I wish I could say mine was as neat. The wires behind mine look like spaghetti The main reason for getting it would be more to show people the quality of first generation products. It could sit next to my Nakamichi cassette deck, '81 Sony Betamaxs, '81 JVC VCRs and '82 Panasonic VCRs. No their not on my rack(it would collapse from the weight ) but rather on a sturdy shelf, not being used. The Pioneer could go on my rack, at least until DVDs go the way of VCRs and audio cassettes.
I just hope whoever buys the 7000 knows what a gem their getting and doesn't just get disgusted it won't burn their media and chuck it in the trash. Equipment like that should be treasured for years to come. Not just disposed of like most of the garbage made today.

Hey thanks for the nice pdf about the 7000 and also a classic DVDR985 Philips. I like how they use the term "less expensive" when talking about these 2 units. One being $900 and the other $1800. Now days people usually don't want to spend over $100....
post #22 of 29 Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Nice looking rack, I wish I could say mine was as neat. The wires behind mine look like spaghetti The main reason for getting it would be more to show people the quality of first generation products. It could sit next to my Nakamichi cassette deck, '81 Sony Betamaxs, '81 JVC VCRs and '82 Panasonic VCRs. No their not on my rack(it would collapse from the weight ) but rather on a sturdy shelf, not being used. The Pioneer could go on my rack, at least until DVDs go the way of VCRs and audio cassettes.
I just hope whoever buys the 7000 knows what a gem their getting and doesn't just get disgusted it won't burn their media and chuck it in the trash. Equipment like that should be treasured for years to come. Not just disposed of like most of the garbage made today.

Hey thanks for the nice pdf about the 7000 and also a classic DVDR985 Philips. I like how they use the term "less expensive" when talking about these 2 units. One being $900 and the other $1800. Now days people usually don't want to spend over $100....

Thanks for the compliment on the rack.
I agree with you. It was an excellent product back in it's heyday! And the fact that it still works perfectly is a testament of it's quality.
I also concur with your observation with how drastic the spending habits of the masses have changed when it comes to electronics. I know I fall into that category. I am forever searching for the "no brainer deal" when it comes to purchasing new pieces. For instance, I know if I want to experience the best resolution, I need to upgrade my plasma. It's only 1366 x 768 (720P). My reluctance is spending another $2500.00 on a television after spending $2400.00 on my existing model back in January of 2007. Barely a year and a half ago! So, when I'm able to find a 50" 1080P monitor for well under $2K, then I may I'll consider the upgrade. That's life in these economic times!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #23 of 29 Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I never got rid of my 7000 and I am very glad. This thing is a workhorse and quality of recordings is just as good or better than todays recorders. As far as Philips 985, I owned it also and it was a pos. There were all kinds of problems finalizing, editing and first one died after one month. Replacement from Philips only lasted 6 weeks.
post #24 of 29 Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello JJeff.

I know I'm kind of late to the party, but when I saw a thread regarding the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000, I was surprised!
I currently own and use a DVR-7000. Is it an old unit. Yes it is. Is it functional? Absolutely! I use it to record various programs that I may want to keep long term or for future reference. I also use it on occasion for dvd playback. Give you an example. A few of years back, I replaced my original version of the "Bourne Identity" with the "Explosive Extended Edition" dvd. At that time, I had recently purchased a Sony DVPNC555ES DVD Changer, a nice piece in it's own right. I put the new "Bourne EEE" dvd in the Sony and the Sony for some reason could not play the disc. The error message kept popping up "dirty disc"! So, just to see if it would play in another dvd player, I put the disc in the Pioneer. guess what, it worked flawlessly! Picture quality wasn't bad either. On par with the Sony although the Sony has a 12bit/216MHz video DAC, while the Pioneer sports a 10bit/54MHz DAC. Couldn't tell the difference. This has happen with several new dvd's. Recording: Yes my player has the latest firmware update. That was done prior to me picking it up from the retailer. I call Pioneer and confirmed that my serial # was current for any and all updates. Recording quality is decent. It's not hi def by no stretch of the imagination. But it's acceptable.
Then there's the build quality of the unit. This one is built to the 9's! Plus it's a nice looking piece. Plus I like the LED meter readout for L & R audio.
I agree with some of the other posters, it's a dinosaur no doubt. If you can find a newer DVD recorder, then do so. But if you can get it for the price you want to spend,..$99.00 was it?!!, then by all means, jump on it!
I've attached a photo of my video rack set up and a comparison test.

Your rack looks great. Would you mind telling, where you got it.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Hi the Pioneer DVR-7000 support analog closed captions? i need to record vhs tapes with [cc] to DVD with closed caption.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Where i can find the firmware updates?
post #27 of 29 Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Your rack looks great.

Last time I said that to someone I got slapped for it.
post #28 of 29 Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM

I purchase this model remanufactured, with the lens of the 2007.

Work Ok, but i cant find a DVD-RW media that works, y try with tdk 1-4X but dont work, any suggestions of media?

Thanks
post #29 of 29 Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimicox View Post

I purchase this model remanufactured, with the lens of the 2007.
Work Ok, but i cant find a DVD-RW media that works, y try with tdk 1-4X but dont work, any suggestions of media?
Thanks

You may want to check to see if you have to update the firmware. I remember Pioneer had to issue a firmware update that allowed for handling any version of -RW media above 1X.
Follow the link below re firmware and serial numbers:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...0+DVD+Recorder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page