Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I might have missed it, but have you tried a SKIP 079 Self-Check, which checks comm. etc. between HDD/DVD and other circuits.

Here's the procedure... just don't press OK after the quick self-check, just turn unit off with power button.

Thanks wajo. I ran it and got this problem: DVD Connect Status-Cable Error. All else works great, so I would think it is internal. Any thoughts before I re-do all my connections?

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
~ Henny Youngman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So does anyone have experience with RepairMaster and their warranties?
post #1653 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjoe View Post

Thanks wajo. I ran it and got this problem: DVD Connect Status-Cable Error. All else works great, so I would think it is internal. Any thoughts before I re-do all my connections?

Yes, if you read the Self-Check intro in the help file on Skip 079, there is a link to someone who also had a DVD drive he thought was defective cuz of errors he had been seeing for more than 5 months.

He opened the case, per the sketches in that help file, unscrewed the DVD drive and, when he turned it over, the connection cable fell out (cable is on bottom, I believe).

That seems like a good possibility in your case, but opening the case carries some risk for voiding the warranty... unfortunately, I can't make that call for you, but the odds of a disconnected or loose cable seem high in your case.

Not sure, but there *may* be a clamshell-type clip holding the cable on the drive... check and if so, open carefully before pulling cable and close on reinstall. Check "Precautions" first for unplugging, draining elect., static, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Earlier I ordered a second reburbished 2160 and warranties for both machines. By placing the order on the phone and requesting free shipping for "accessories related to this order" (as described in the "Thank You" letter affixed to the box of the first 2160) the salesperson waived shipping charges. Note that this applies to credit card orders. If using PayPal they must charge for shipping, according to the J&R salesperson.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1655 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, if you read the Self-Check intro in the help file on Skip 079, there is a link to someone who also had a DVD drive he thought was defective cuz of errors he had been seeing for more than 5 months.

That seems like a good possibility in your case, but opening the case carries some risk for voiding the warranty... unfortunately, I can't make that call for you, but the odds of a disconnected or loose cable seem high in your case.

Thanks again. I did read your referenced links and that's why I thought it may be internal. I've only had this unit since Wednesday, so I will take it back to Walmart for a refund. If it were an older unit, I might attempt the repair, but with a warranty, I'll go with the refund. Also this may be a good time to get a refurbished one from J&R; if all you folks don't get them first !

Without going through all the posts, may I assume that all have been pleased with the refurbished units?

BTW, I've dealt with J&R in the past, and although I've never had to return anything, they appear to me to be a very reliable company.

~ Henny Youngman
post #1656 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Nope. In fact, they seem to have a batch of the originals that were mfg on the usual date these DVDRs are released... May 2008. They have the same FW as all other originals.

Until people started getting these May 2008 units, our first reported 2160 original was mfg in Aug 2008.

My second refurb is a May 2008 unit. But I haven't hooked it up yet as I wanted to record about 12hours overnight on both the first refurb and the regular Wally stock recorders to make sure everything is stable. As of this morning both recorders were still churning away, humming quietly while my wife slept.

Btw, I did do a PQ test on the first refurb, recording 1min at xp/1min at sp and so on..... All in all, I have to say that not only does this machine hold it's own with the older Pioneers and Panny's, the imo, blow, and I mean BLOW those machines away at the longer rec time bitrates!! I saw NO blocking on the slower speeds, only loss of clarity, or sharpness. Colors were still rock steady, fast moving scenes were fine, I was really surprised (pleasantly) with this. More later when I hook up the May 2008 unit tonight.
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #1657 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Earlier I ordered a second reburbished 2160 and warranties for both machines.

I was wondering if the extended warranty would be valid with a refurb unit. Did J&R state that it would? Thanks.
post #1658 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsis3 View Post

I was wondering if the extended warranty would be valid with a refurb unit. Did J&R state that it would? Thanks.

Yes, see DigaDo's post #1676 just above here.
post #1659 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Without going through all the posts, may I assume that all have been pleased with the refurbished units?

Pretty happy with mine. Only 17 hours on the hard drive and 4 hour read on the DVD drive with a 45 second write time. Still smells new even though it was built in Aug 2008.
post #1660 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Does anyone have an opinion which is a better deal, a refurbed 'A' with $25 warranty or brand-new-boxless 'A' with $30 warranty? I'm inclined to go with my eBay seller if J & R's recorders are 'A's...

From what I gather, NONE of the ones from J&R have proved to be "A"s.

So far everyone has reported getting an original 2160.

I'd say get one of those. Why get a machine that may NEVER have the finalizing problem fixed?

As for a warranty, roughly $8 a year isn't bad for a "repair or replace" agreement.
post #1661 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Without going through all the posts, may I assume that all have been pleased with the refurbished units?...

I don't see any difference between how the J&R machine works and my 2160 "A" machine. Satisfied with both, except for the finalizing problem in the "A" machine. Don't know about the J&R machine yet, since I haven't tried to make any discs yet. Sure have enough events programmed in the timer to test things out, tho'.

If others have already had a chance to check out the timer and burner problem, they should be able to tell you if the J&R machines are good on all counts. (I won't know until tomorrow AM. It's gonna record STAR TREK for me in the middle of the night at HQ, one episode per disc, so the first DVD will be burned soon enough.)
post #1662 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

...The current BIG NEWS is that apparently the J & R refurbs are 2008 Magnavox H2160MW9s! I'm surprised but not disappointed and bought two being shipped today. It appears there's going to be another cult item for Forum legends to be spun about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

From what I gather, NONE of the ones from J&R have proved to be "A"s.

So far everyone has reported getting an original 2160.

I'd say get one of those. Why get a machine that may NEVER have the finalizing problem fixed?

As for a warranty, roughly $8 a year isn't bad for a "repair or replace" agreement.

Hey guy; I'm getting 2 (and already have 2 'A's and never would have discovered the finalizing glitch without reading these threads!)
post #1663 of 3505 Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've noticed one interesting difference.

My evil "A" machine goes silent when you go to the setup menu.

My new refurb? You can still hear the audio of the TV channel when you go to the setup menu.

Thought I'd share...
post #1664 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 AM

I have to admit that I am astounded at the number of DVDRs some of you guys own. Can I ask, on average, how many hours do you record to HDD for time-slipping purposes and how many DVDs do you burn? I am new (since February) to the DVDR world, owning both a 3576 and 2160a. Both machines combined I expect to burn about 50 DVDs for each of the next 2-3 years, mostly in the form of dubbing VHS tapes to DVDs, and I record perhaps 12-14 hours per week OTA broadcasts to HDD (, ... with the contents deleted after viewing). I thought that my usage of these machines would be considered an average load. But judging by what you guys are doing I am barely working the units at all. Oh, and as you can gather I don't view the 160 gb HDD as any sort of limitation for me.

Perhaps 2 reasons why my usage may be relatively light:

- I record OTA broadcasts only. I had grown weary of forking over money to sat/cable companies every month. With sat/cable I would be tempted to record movies and archive them to DVD for (much) later viewing. With OTA the choices are limited, especially for movies w/o commercial interruptions.

- I am single. A typical husband/wife with 2 kids would probably a lot to the HDD recordings, maybe even some more DVD archiving.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to some of the other usage patterns out there.

Thanks.

_Lazza

PS - my DVDR usage could easily be accommodated by a single machine but I a second for backup purposes, and I like doing my dubbing work in an out of the way location (my bedroom) so as not to hog the primary machine (located in my living room).
post #1665 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

I have to admit that I am astounded at the number of DVDRs some of you guys own. Can I ask, on average, how many hours do you record to HDD for time-slipping purposes and how many DVDs do you burn? I am new (since February) to the DVDR world, owning both a 3576 and 2160a. Both machines combined I expect to burn about 50 DVDs for each of the next 2-3 years, mostly in the form of dubbing VHS tapes to DVDs, and I record perhaps 12-14 hours per week OTA broadcasts to HDD (, ... with the contents deleted after viewing). I thought that my usage of these machines would be considered an average load. But judging by what you guys are doing I am barely working the units at all. Oh, and as you can gather I don't view the 160 gb HDD as any sort of limitation for me.

Perhaps 2 reasons why my usage may be relatively light:

- I record OTA broadcasts only. I had grown weary of forking over money to sat/cable companies every month. With sat/cable I would be tempted to record movies and archive them to DVD for (much) later viewing. With OTA the choices are limited, especially for movies w/o commercial interruptions . . .

Thanks.

_Lazza

PS - my DVDR usage could easily be accommodated by a single machine but I a second for backup purposes, and I like doing my dubbing work in an out of the way location (my bedroom) so as not to hog the primary machine (located in my living room).

The lion's share of my "time-shifting" is early talkies through the film noir era as programmed by Turner Classic Movies. TCM is an "analog" service found in Comcast's "digital premium" tiers of service. In our area a Comcast STB is required to receive this encoded (scrambled) channel.

I currently have one Magnavox 2160, one Philips 3575, one Panasonic DMR-EZ28 and three DMR-EZ17 models set up to record TCM. This arrangement is spread between my home office and bedroom. The most recently posted full description, with photos, is found here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16748675

Since that description was posted a Magnavox 2160 was swapped into the place of the Magnavox ZV450MW8A and the Philips 3576 has been reconfigured as an ATSC (OTA) machine.

These "recording centers" provide flexibility for scheduling timer recordings well in advance using TCM's monthly Now Playing magazine. There is also enough flexibility to incorporate "last minute" schedule modifications and programming changes (including short subjects added to the online schedule about a week in advance of showing).

"Copy protection" has not yet become a problem with my TCM recording arrangement. Since TCM is now offering a "digital/HD" feed it's only a matter of time until this programming will have the "copy protection" flag that may restrict or prohibit recording. Another consequence of offering TCM in "HD" may be the liklihood that TCM may at some future date give up their "uncut and commercial free" format for an infusion of advertising revenue (commercials). When that occurs TCM may likely follow AMC into the abyss. For that reason I archive now all that interests me.

I record very little from other cable services or OTA channels. Nevertheless I have one Magnavox 2080 and one 2160 set up to record the Comcast clear QAM channels, one EZ17 is enslaved to a Comcast DTA (an extended basic converter box), one EZ17 is set up for dual use (switchable between a TCM or clear QAM feed) and one Philips 3576 is set up to record OTA channels.

How many hours of programming do I record? This varies greatly from day to day or week to week. In the last seven days (July 19-25) I have (so-far) finalized thirty DVDs. DVDs recorded on my Panasonic recorders generally have around four hours of programming content; DVDs recorded on my Philips and Magnavox recorders generally have around three hours of programming content. A quick survey indicates around 114 hours of programming recorded to DVDs that have been finalized in the last week. This does not take into consideration hard drive recordings that have not yet been dubbed to DVDs (perhaps another fifteen hours of programming) and four more DVDs in the process of recording. These four DVDs will be finalized later today.

My index of home-recorded DVDs currently lists a few more than 25,800 time-shifted titles. One may ask if indexing and storage is a problem with such an extensive archive. I respond to these matters in this and several follow-up posts in the same thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16761443

Most of my eleven functional Panasonic ES series recorders (six of which have each accumulated between 3,000 and 4,400 recording hours) are set aside for standby service or rotation into daily service during regular Panasonic DVD Drive service intervals. One of my six functional 2006 DMR-ES35V combo recorders is as-new, never having been placed in service.

The flexibility of my current set up allows quick transition of recording assignments from two EZ17 recorders in the bedroom to the nearby Philips and Magnavox recorders (if the need arises) or swapping in standby recorders.

In September 2007 I concluded a ten month project transferring to DVD selected portions (5,200 titles) of my near twenty year accumulation of videotapes (largely early talkies through the film noir era as recorded from The Nostalgia Channel, pre-2002 AMC, and TCM). This project usually had four Panasonic recorders in operation up to sixteen hours per day but sometimes as many as seven Panasonic recorders in operation up to eighteen hours per day.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #1666 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
I think it safe to say that your usage pattern is quite exceptional.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1667 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

Pretty happy with mine. Only 17 hours on the hard drive and 4 hour read on the DVD drive with a 45 second write time. Still smells new even though it was built in Aug 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I don't see any difference between how the J&R machine works and my 2160 "A" machine. Satisfied with both, except for the finalizing problem in the "A" machine. Don't know about the J&R machine yet, since I haven't tried to make any discs yet. Sure have enough events programmed in the timer to test things out, tho'.

If others have already had a chance to check out the timer and burner problem, they should be able to tell you if the J&R machines are good on all counts. (I won't know until tomorrow AM. It's gonna record STAR TREK for me in the middle of the night at HQ, one episode per disc, so the first DVD will be burned soon enough.)

Thanks to you both for your replies. Just returned from Walmart where I returned the defective "A". Will order a refurbished one from J&R.

~ Henny Youngman
post #1668 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16748675

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16886427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

DigaDo seriously uses his machines to good advantage!

Quote:

Thanks.

_Lazza

Although my 'snakepits' in two rooms are probably much like but smaller than DigaDo's my usage is more on the scale of yours. (I do have a large number of HDD and DVDR recorders stashed away, not in use.) I have recorded several hundred (or more?) DVDs but don't record nearly as many now. I don't re-watch many recorded programs, but instead occasionally use their DVDs as references when searching for a (figurative) lost chord.

I mostly watch TV live or from a recording buffer now. The 2160's buffer is especially useful for its 1.3xFF with normal piched audio for reveiwing programs which don't have commercial breaks, like many PBS shows.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16855428
post #1669 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I have to admit that I am astounded at the number of DVDRs some of you guys own. Can I ask, on average, how many hours do you record to HDD for time-slipping purposes and how many DVDs do you burn?

I have a Philips 3576 and 2 Magnavox 2160's. I have burned exactly 2 DVD's, a copy of a VHS tape and a television show for a neighbor to watch.

I use the heck out of the HDD's, all watch and delete. Since it's off season for the major networks they don't get as much use right now but this fall that will change.

I looked back through the TV listings for this week and I recorded the following
Sunday ... 7 hrs
Monday ... 2 hrs
Tuesday ... 5.5 hrs
Wednesday ... 3 hrs
Thursday ... 3 hrs
Friday ... 2 hrs
Tonight ... 4 hours

On Sunday and Tuesday I would have needed 4 recorders if the cable/satellite only stations didn't air their shows twice during the evening.

I still have a VCR in the mix and it sees occasional use if the fall when I'm trying to decide which of the new primetime network shows I like.
post #1670 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, it sounds like Digado has a DVD collection that is truly extraordinary!

I simply record what I want to view later on, and archive to DVD material worth keeping around. I don't typically watch more than 2-3 hours of television per day. One hour is devoted to network news (AM and evening), the rest is stuff I have recorded on my DVDR (HDD, or archived on DVD). It's gotten so that I cannot stand having my time wasted by commercials. Time-slipping lets me fast forward through that noise, ... it's great!

I'm hoping with my relatively light usage pattern both my machines will give me at least 3, perhaps 5 years of service ... at least for HDD recording (I am not so concerned if the DVD burners die after 2-3 years).

_Lazza
post #1671 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got one of the 2160A units for my parents, and today the unit seems to have stopped working. The front display seemed to be stuck at 12:00, and the remote didn't work, and none of the buttons on the unit worked. So I unplugged it for over 30 seconds, then plugged it back in. The front display then showed 9:46, which I guess is what it thought was the current time. But still, the remote didn't work at all, and none of the buttons on the unit worked. And there was no video being output to the TV. The only thing that seems to be working is the clock on the front display - that keeps updating. Nothing else works, can't turn it on/off (not exactly sure what state it is stuck in). Any idea what's wrong?
post #1672 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Was it working before, with clock, channels, played DVDs and HDD titles, etc.?
post #1673 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah it worked before. I recorded some stuff to the HDD, played a DVD, channel detection worked. I noticed that the clock was a little messed up - I'd set it, and then later it would be off by several hours, but then I hadn't yet done the 11:57 thing that I read about it. But besides the clock issue, everything else worked fine. Now it isn't working at all for some reason.
post #1674 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like it's getting a "rogue" signal that affects the clock. For now, unplug the unit for 10 minutes.

Plug back in and set Auto Clock to OFF and DST to OFF, then set the clock in the Clock Setting menu yourself. See if that settles things down and normal ops return.

If that helps, then you can try the 11:57 Procedure, which allows you to find and confirm a good, stable clock signal on only one channel so the Auto Clock doesn't have to search all the channels and maybe run into another rogue signal. Going back to everything off and set yourself is the fallback option.

Is the unit on an antenna, cable or satellite receiver?
post #1675 of 3505 Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post

Yeah it worked before. I recorded some stuff to the HDD, played a DVD, channel detection worked. I noticed that the clock was a little messed up - I'd set it, and then later it would be off by several hours, but then I hadn't yet done the 11:57 thing that I read about it. But besides the clock issue, everything else worked fine. Now it isn't working at all for some reason.

I had the same thing happen. The auto clock worked fine for about a week, then it never worked right after that. I just disabled that feature, set the clock manually, and it's been fine since. I usually set my recordings to have a 10 minute "buffer"(start the recording 10 min early, and end 10 min late), so the clock can be a little off and I won't miss anything. I don't record much, so it takes me a while to even put a dent in the hdd space.
post #1676 of 3505 Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaks44 View Post

I had the same thing happen. The auto clock worked fine for about a week, then it never worked right after that. I just disabled that feature, set the clock manually, and it's been fine since. I usually set my recordings to have a 10 minute "buffer"(start the recording 10 min early, and end 10 min late), so the clock can be a little off and I won't miss anything. I don't record much, so it takes me a while to even put a dent in the hdd space.

Wow...a 10 minute buffer? I guess that's safe! I can't believe how bad these DVDR's keep time (if an Autoclock signal is not available in your area). That's been my experience with a Dec 2008 H2160 and a May 2009 H2160 A.

They lose about 3 seconds per day. I manually set mine about 10 seconds ahead of real time once a week. If you don't record any shows on different channels in back-to-back timeslots (I do), it isn't as much of an issue -- assuming you have plenty of HDD space to burn like novaks.
post #1677 of 3505 Old 07-26-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently, the digital transition has caused some clock issues that came to light in the HDTV DTVPal DVR thread. That DVR has been having clock problems caused by its handling of TWO clock signal streams, one in the TVGOS system and one in the std PSIP data all digital channels are supposed to carry. The PSIP time is apparently controlled solely by each station and they've not been diligent in keeping them accurate, so there's been a "conflict" causing their clocks to go "wonky." They've just got a new FW version that seems better and includes a manual time setting option that it didn't have before. There may be errors in my story but not terribly important for our purposes.

Our DVDRs may be suffering from this problems also? The stations are trying to do better, but since the PSIP data is controlled by individual stations, it can more easily be off in accuracy.

Not sure if our DVDRs look for digital PSIP data, but they certainly could be "influenced" by it since they have digital tuners and a full channel search for a time signal... one not restricted by a "Manual" Auto Clock setting as described in The 11:57 Procedure... could easily "run into" some bad or rogue PSIP data.

If ANY of this is true, it's even more important for users to:
  1. Try The 11:57 Procedure for setting a single, confirmed-accurate channel to search for a time signal, if the user wants to use Auto Clock.
  2. If NO channel can be found with a confirmed time signal using The 11:57 Procedure, turn Auto Clock off and set the clock with the 1st Clock option, "Clock Setting."
Anyone NOT USING COAX, like a satellite-only subscriber, should set everything OFF since they can't receive any time signal.
post #1678 of 3505 Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Wow...a 10 minute buffer? I guess that's safe! I can't believe how bad these DVDR's keep time (if an Autoclock signal is not available in your area). That's been my experience with a Dec 2008 H2160 and a May 2009 H2160 A.

They lose about 3 seconds per day. I manually set mine about 10 seconds ahead of real time once a week. If you don't record any shows on different channels in back-to-back timeslots (I do), it isn't as much of an issue -- assuming you have plenty of HDD space to burn like novaks.

My stuff, which is manually set, keeps excellent time. That stuff includes 2 2160As and 4 Panny EZ-28s. I believe most electronics gear uses the 60 Hertz power for accurate time keeping. I suspect your power company is trying to save a little money by cutting back on the cycles or perhaps they're just careless. It doesn't take much at all. If my math is correct, you should be getting 5,184,000 cyles of power per day. If you lose 3 seconds per day that's 180 cycles, IF the 60 cycle power is what's being used for clock accuracy, and 180 cycles doesn't amount to much if 5,184,000 cyles are involved.

The problem in my area is voltage regulation. Some days my microwave would take 10 minutes to cook something and a week later it would come out cold. I had a $800 air conditioner motor burn out a few days after it's warranty expired. I still suspect the power company but I can never prove it. I'm keeping a service plan in place for the replacement air conditioner.

I keep ALL my electronics gear on UPSs. I have 4 of them. They allow me to set parameters for under and over voltage situations. When I first installed them, I immediately discovered that I would have to set wide parameters to keep from getting constant alarms. I bought a digital volt meter to check it. The voltage would and still does vary from 110 volts to 120 volts. I've seen it as low as 107 volts.
post #1679 of 3505 Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

That's for the insight, grafxman. I seems plausible that my power is 180 cycles / day short. Especially since both units lost time by the same amount and some others here don't report the same issues with theirs. Otherwise, I haven't had any power supply issues in this house. Power outages are rare.
post #1680 of 3505 Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Once every two or three weeks I reset the time on my Philips/Magnavox and Panasonic recorders. I set all my machines according to this website:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8/java

Since my recorders are mainly in two "stacks" I start noticing creeping time differences, the minute-to-minute changover point, within a couple of days. Connected to the same surge protector one Panasonic DMR-EZ17 seems to lag behind, my 2160 (August 2008) seems to advance the time, while the 3576 (February 2008) and a DMR-EZ28 seem not to stray as much over a longer period of time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page