Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2641 of 3505 Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMoose View Post

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice on the Maggie 2160. I ordered it today, for Christmas for my wife, from Walmart with the free shipping to the store for pickup. I received an email saying it will arrive at the store between December 1-4. So if anyone is going to order one for Christmas I would recommend ordering it now. I'm just wondering when the warranty will start? Will it be the order date, today, or the day I pick it up at the store? The reason I am having it shipped to the store is just in case it arrives damaged. So after Christmas I'm sure I will have more questions for the forum.

not sure about the start date of the warranty, but Walmart has a very inexpensive warranty add - on that may be of interest - usually I do not go for those , but these machines are not going to be around forever and it will be useful to have a repair option. I got a three year extended warranty for under $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 3505 Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

not sure about the start date of the warranty, but Walmart has a very inexpensive warranty add - on that may be of interest - usually I do not go for those , but these machines are not going to be around forever and it will be useful to have a repair option. I got a three year extended warranty for under $30.

I never get these "extended" warranties either. Ususally on electonics if they are going to break it will be within the first year. Also most credit card companies will extend a one year warranty by an extra year at no charge. If you purchase the extended warranty and they stop producing these units I don't think you will get a refund. They seem simple of enough to replace the HDD if it goes out especially a SATA drive. I was thinking the same thing about them not being around forever and there aren't a lot out there except Tivo type that you have to pay a monthly fee. I was doing a lot of searching before deciding on this unit.
post #2643 of 3505 Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I never get these "extended" warranties either. Ususally on electonics if they are going to break it will be within the first year. Also most credit card companies will extend a one year warranty by an extra year at no charge. If you purchase the extended warranty and they stop producing these units I don't think you will get a refund. They seem simple of enough to replace the HDD if it goes out especially a SATA drive. I was thinking the same thing about them not being around forever and there aren't a lot out there except Tivo type that you have to pay a monthly fee. I was doing a lot of searching before deciding on this unit.

Yeah mostly I agree about warranties being useless ( except AppleCare ), but this one also included annual maintenance which I thought was interesting ... doubt I'll use it but when I bought my first one it seemed like a good idea. Now that I know how well they're made I have fewer concerns. I think it depends on who is doing the work locally... The j& r waranty is from a different company and the local repair place has an awful reputation so I won't go there ... Need to find out if they can go back to funai. At the refurb price it's less of an issue but these are going to be like cars in Cuba ... gotta keep em running when you can't get new ones anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 3505 Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Periodically, we reopen the debate about extended warranties on this forum. To represent one side of the discussion, I've chosen to quote someone who responded to a post about whether someone should buy one for the PS3 Slim:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch6599 View Post

Extended warranties are priced to make an expected profit for the underwriter, so the cost of the warranty is greater than your expected benefit (by a large margin). Therefore, you should only buy a warranty if replacing a broken PS3 would be a great financial burden. Otherwise, play the odds and don't buy a warranty with a negative expected value to you.

post #2645 of 3505 Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice on the Maggie 2160. I ordered it today, for Christmas for my wife, from Walmart with the free shipping to the store for pickup. I received an email saying it will arrive at the store between December 1-4. So if anyone is going to order one for Christmas I would recommend ordering it now. I'm just wondering when the warranty will start? Will it be the order date, today, or the day I pick it up at the store? The reason I am having it shipped to the store is just in case it arrives damaged. So after Christmas I'm sure I will have more questions for the forum.

Another vote for no need to get a warranty. The Wal-mart Site-to-Store service is slow, so I took them up on their low price delivery option that they offered. I think there was one for .89 cents or something like that. The Site-to-Store clerk (when he/she finally shows up) will print you a regular receipt when you pick it up as if you just purchased it that day so that's when the warranty should begin. Even if you have it home delivered you can still easily return it to a local Wal-mart if it's damaged. I ordered 2 Magnavox units to go with my Philips DVDR3575H/37 when the price dropped. They sent them via UPS in the regular Magnavox boxes. One box was damaged and the other box was good. I was wondering if the UPS driver would have left them at my door if I hadn't been home?
post #2646 of 3505 Old 11-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, I can vouch that the 90 day return window starts when you pick it up at the Site to Store dept. Earlier this year, I returned a couple of 2160As about 105 days after I had placed the order, but 89 days after I picked them up.
post #2647 of 3505 Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post

Yes, I can vouch that the 90 day return window starts when you pick it up at the Site to Store dept. Earlier this year, I returned a couple of 2160As about 105 days after I had placed the order, but 89 days after I picked them up.

Thanks for the info It's good to know that if it is too much for my wife to program etc then I will just return it. What I find interesting is that I received an email today from Wallymart telling me they shipped the unit but it still will not arrive until the week of December 1-4 at my local store.
post #2648 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Separate question;
I do NOT have the clock set on the recorder. The listings for recordings on the HDD do not show the time & date. But, on the burned DVD, there is a default date of Jan 1 08 showing. Is there any way to prevent this?

Anyone??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2649 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Separate question;
I do NOT have the clock set on the recorder. The listings for recordings on the HDD do not show the time & date. But, on the burned DVD, there is a default date of Jan 1 08 showing. Is there any way to prevent this?

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050956
post #2650 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Done that. As stated, the time does NOT show in the HDD listings, just in the burned DVD menu.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2651 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I've just tried this on my Magnavox, and it does the same thing. Killing the clock gets rid of the time display in the HDD navigator but DVDs default to the minimum clock setting of 1/1/08. I don't know if theres a reliable 100% workaround for this, it may be a firmware difference on some production runs. The Funais are pretty insistent on including the date as the second line in all title names, if you try to suppress it by clearing the clock it may not always work: the machine might just lift the earliest possible date/time from the clock and slot it in.

I have a similar annoyance with my most recent Pioneers: they insist on inserting a "disc name" on all finalized DVDs. The default is "DISCxxx" running from 001-100 and then cycling back, the only workaround is to enter a custom disc name of my own. I almost always forget to do this, so I've learned to live with a pointless disc number at the top of my menu screen. In truth, its so small you can hardly see it, but it does irritate me. The "forced date in all title names" system in the Magnavox is more glaringly obvious, and more annoying because it takes up space that you could otherwise use for additional custom title info, if the unit would let you. The Pioneer titling system uses two lines of 20 characters each, the date/time usually auto-entered on the second line like the Mag does. But the Pio allows me to erase the entire two lines and enter whatever 40 characters I choose (or no title at all). I don't remember what Panasonics do...
post #2652 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

I don't remember what Panasonics do...

Panasonics give a date and time for the title when you directly record to DVD, no way to get rid of this except to manually delete the title(one character at a time after the fact). Recording to HDD no date and time is generated and if you HS burn to DVD it also lacks the date and time.
Disc name is always blank unless you add one.

edit: Exception to the above is if you're Panasonic has TVGOS and you've enabled it. In this case program name is inserted for title when recording either to HDD or DVD, if you want you can manually delete this title at any time, on character at a time with the pause button.
post #2653 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

I've just tried this on my Magnavox, and it does the same thing. Killing the clock gets rid of the time display in the HDD navigator but DVDs default to the minimum clock setting of 1/1/08. I don't know if theres a reliable 100% workaround for this, it may be a firmware difference on some production runs.

The trick on my 3575 is to lose all clock memory, but sometimes our units have very short memory and other times VERY LONG memory (like 5+ days in shipment on my refurb and a complete power outage overnight here).

The key is to set Auto Clock Off before unplugging, which assures no long-term residual memory, and it makes sure your unit doesn't go search for a time/date immediately on plugging back in, which it's "programmed" to do. My 3575 finds today's date very quickly on plugging back in.

A procedure that works on my 3575 and a -RW disc for losing date/time for recording and dubbing to disc:
  1. Write Timer Rec programs down cuz you'll lose them, along with the clock, during this procedure. Reset them later.
  2. Turn Auto Clock OFF to make sure the machine doesn't find a time/date from a station immediately after turning machine on and off in next step (which it's programmed to do). DON'T go into the Clock Setting menu... a default date will appear in that menu that could be transferred to titles if you press OK in that menu.
  3. Unplug unit for at least 3-5 minutes (longer is better), then plug back in.
  4. Copy old home movies or other material to the HDD.
  5. Change title name on HDD (or later on DVD), if desired.
  6. Dub normally.
  7. Set date and time in Clock Setting menu if you reset your timer rec programs.
post #2654 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Since I just ordered the 2160 is there anyway to tell if the HDD in the unit will be a SATA or IDE drive without opening the unit? I understand the newer units are all SATA drives.
post #2655 of 3505 Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since I just ordered the 2160 is there anyway to tell if the HDD in the unit will be a SATA or IDE drive without opening the unit? I understand the newer units are all SATA drives.

The "A" units from Walmart have a SATA. J&R refurbs lately have all been A's with SATA.

When you get your unit, you can do the simple SKIP 123 procedure and see the FW versions and check against the list here for 2160's. The last in the list is the A's, which will be distinct from from originals with the PATA.
post #2656 of 3505 Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

post #2657 of 3505 Old 11-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The "A" units from Walmart have a SATA. J&R refurbs lately have all been A's with SATA.

When you get your unit, you can do the simple SKIP 123 procedure and see the FW versions and check against the list here for 2160's. The last in the list is the A's, which will be distinct from from originals with the PATA.

Can you do FW updates with this unit? I didn't see anything on the Magnavox site.
post #2658 of 3505 Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you do FW updates with this unit? I didn't see anything on the Magnavox site.

Funai has a FW download page here with only Bluray player FW so far, but no FW for our units yet... prob. never?
post #2659 of 3505 Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:

If you use Bing Cash back they have 5% on J&R.
post #2660 of 3505 Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

If you use Bing Cash back they have 5% on J&R.

enter FREESHIP100 promo code at checkout (limited time?) for free standard delivery
post #2661 of 3505 Old 11-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Wow there is so much info on this one product here. I'm about to order one of these things.

The J&R model is the good one?? Seems to be cheapest and it has all the stuff I need. Just need to confirm this.
post #2662 of 3505 Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thal View Post

Wow there is so much info on this one product here. I'm about to order one of these things.

The J&R model is the good one?? Seems to be cheapest and it has all the stuff I need. Just need to confirm this.

When I got my first one I thought it was better to buy new, but my second (and -- dont laugh -- a third one now on the way) are from J & R. Both offer a 30 day return. The refurb was less expensive, arrived much more quickly (2 days fr NY vs 10 days, shipped from California), had just a few hours of use, had been looked at (presumably) by someone to make sure it actually worked, and it shipped with a better coax cable than the original. It looked brand new. After adding in tax and shipping you can save almost $ 100 by getting the refurb. Of course they're all different and you never know -- but that's why you can return if necessary. New ones have to go back sometime, too. The warranty IS shorter on the refurb, so if that's an issue you can extend for around 10 dollars a year (though most people here think the warranty extensions are unnecessary) or buy a new one from W . I didn't know what to expect, so felt 'safer' getting a new one the first time - but honestly when my refurb arrived it was impossible to tell the difference (except for the box- it's a generic). 90 days parts/labor from J & R for the refurb, and the new one has a 90 day/1 yr -- cant remember off the top of my head if it's parts or labor that goes by the wayside after 3 months for the new ones. Customer service seems to be ok for both. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with either.
post #2663 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by thal View Post

If your interest is going to last for a few years, get two!! Or you'll kick yourself when they are all gone and people start popping them on ebay for $600.
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2664 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM

I never read any comments regarding black clipping (or crush if you prefer) when using the digital tuner. After taking a closer look, some programming comes out with a high level of clipping on a LCD. Specifically 'The Good Wife' on CBS. I previewed a episode that was recorded and it was terrible even after 'tweaking'.
I then compared live network material between the Samsungs' tuner and the tuner of the Maggy. The difference was definitely noticeable, though not as great, but also dependent of the program material.

This was using the HDMI input with all of the TV 'gimmick' settings off. I haven't tried component yet.

Input?

post #2665 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

See this post in the Sticky thread for a possible significant finding and a MODIFIED ALL-OR-NOTHING (AON) Manual Channel Preset Procedure. It might help cable subs who lose digital tuning during this period of big channel realignments by cablecos, esp. Comcast. It applies specifically to a 3575 but may also apply to the other DVDRs in the PhilMag group.

post #2666 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

I think we might have blown up j&r's website!!! LOL!!! I've been trying for an hour now to access it and on my mac's safari, all I get is page 'error' messages....choke and puke in another words.....
Damn Maggy's popular!!! LOL!!!
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2667 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

I think we might have blown up j&r's website!!! LOL!!! I've been trying for an hour now to access it and on my mac's safari, all I get is page 'error' messages....choke and puke in another words.....
Mickboy

My Dell XP MCE 2005 computer has no problem viewing the 2160 page at J&R two minutes after your post.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #2668 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

Mickboy

No problem with safari on mac here. BTW, they're filling the orders pretty fast - ordered mine on Friday night and got a shipping notice today for delivery tomorrow. Nice! I wasn't sure i'd get it before the holiday. It said limited quantity, but given what Jacques told Wajo, maybe not THAT limited?
post #2669 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM

I don't think I'll get two. Nor do I think these will ever be on Ebay for 600. Walmart has them new for 227. Over the air DVR are starting to make an apperance. Its only a matter of time before TIVO gets in the mix and throws a burner on there unit. No these are around to stay. I don't see them going away.
post #2670 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I never read any comments regarding black clipping (or crush if you prefer) when using the digital tuner. After taking a closer look, some programming comes out with a high level of clipping on a LCD. Specifically 'The Good Wife' on CBS. I previewed a episode that was recorded and it was terrible even after 'tweaking'.
I then compared live network material between the Samsungs' tuner and the tuner of the Maggy. The difference was definitely noticeable, though not as great, but also dependent of the program material.

This was using the HDMI input with all of the TV 'gimmick' settings off. I haven't tried component yet.

Input?

I tend to like the picture a little darker since I generally watch at night, so maybe Im not the best person to answer your question -- I've found some shows come across too dark (and I've tried lightening up the settings on the HDMI input of the LCD TV, but I'm not sure it's the maggie -- it may be the show. For example, the late late show on CBS has notoriously bad lighting, combined with the black floor they recycled from the Dancing with the Stars set - you can barely see what's going on. It's a running joke. That said, it looks much better on either OTA or the cable box feed than through the maggy (all HDMI) -- but that's not really a fair comparison, since they're high def and the output of the recording is SD fed from direct coax. Other shows recorded on the magnavox are perfectly fine. When I lightened the settings for that HDMI input, I wasn't happy with the way the other channels looked a bit washed out, so I reverted to 'darker' for that input as standard. Not sure what triggers it but CBS has the best quality signal here - and the 'darkest' programs. I can't say precisely why ... The same thing happens with both my maggies and different tvs, almost always with CBS shows -- but not ALL CBS broadcasts are problematic. 60 minutes -- fine. Football fine. Letterman fine. LLS murky. CSI type shows are meant to be "moody" so I don't count those, and I imagine The Good Wife falls into that category too. My guess is, it's program based.

I'm not sure we're saying the same thing, tho .... Are you saying that the RECORDINGS are darker than the direct passthrough from the maggie to the tv , or that anything through the maggie is darker? I'm saying that for me, both the recordings AND the live viewing of unrecorded passthrough from the maggie are darker *on certain programs* than when watching other input methods like cable STB or OTA. Maybe because cbs is broadcasting 1080i and the others have lower quality signal? I really don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page