Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thal View Post

I don't think I'll get two.

that's what I said ....

If you have two tvs you may find it easier to have two than dubbing what you've recorded to watch in a different room, but start with one and see how quickly you fill it up. You may just want to enlarge the capacity of the drive rather than get another one, if you're using it alot. I find it's easier to record different things in different rooms, since I get different programs on the tvs (one has cable box, one does not). Mine is filling up faster than expected cause I'm recording at higher quality than I anticipated. You get spoiled. The thing that hooked me was the instant record ability - you're watching something and you think, Hmm.... maybe I should record this, and in one second you're ready -- no looking for a dvd... no excruciating wait for the damn dvd recorder to warm up check itself and open the tray, insert disc, close tray , chugga chug chug. That used to make me crazy - now, click , record. And, if you missed the beginning, just back up and record what you weren't watching . It's really going to change your viewing/recording habits fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yea I'll most likely install a big hard drive in this thing. Be nice to have a TB in it.
post #2673 of 3505 Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

yea I'll most likely install a big hard drive in this thing. Be nice to have a TB in it.

Pretty sure the max it can access is 500gb. You can use a TB drive but it would waste half the space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3505 Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

[...]It said limited quantity, but given what Jacques told Wajo, maybe not THAT limited?

I went to J&R today to pick up an SDHC card for my digital camera, and took the opportunity to pop into their A/V showroom and check the floor stock on the Magnavox. They had about a dozen stacked up, twice as many as they had when I checked a few days after the last availability announcement in October. Also, the cartons are in better condition: very clean, no dents (last month the boxes looked a bit manhandled, although the recorders I bought were pristine inside the box.) Between the claimed larger shipment this time and people taking a breather before Black Friday, I think the stock will last a few days longer than it usually does. Still, I wouldn't delay if you're interested in one...
post #2675 of 3505 Old 11-24-2009, 01:33 PM

I've never upgraded a HDD. Will just about any HDD fit in this. I'd think the biggest problem would be heat and power supply. Would this work http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ku=TSD-500AAKS
post #2676 of 3505 Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

I've never upgraded a HDD. Will just about any HDD fit in this. I'd think the biggest problem would be heat and power supply. Would this work http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ku=TSD-500AAKS

Reommended drives are in this help file.

See esp. the section "Notes on Replacing or Upgrading Procedures" for a specific recommendation on WD drives... the one you linked to is not one of them.
post #2677 of 3505 Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You get spoiled. The thing that hooked me was the instant record ability - you're watching something and you think, Hmm.... maybe I should record this, and in one second you're ready -- no looking for a dvd...

Too true! I've become spoiled as well. This machine really has become my cable DVR replacement (I used to have a cable company machine, but no longer any need for one of those!). I just save the stuff I want to watch to it during the week, and watch the shows on the weekend. Though there is still some stuff on there that's older that I haven't gotten to yet, for whatever reason. Even so there's still more than half the capacity left on there, and no worries anytime soon that I'll run out of room. It's SO nice not having to format a DVD, put it in, make sure everything is set up, etc.

I'm hoping to still be able to pick up another one of these, if not soon then maybe early in January, when I can better afford to...even if I have to pay the Wallyworld price. I just want to make sure I have a spare one should anything ever happen to the one I have!

DGK
post #2678 of 3505 Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Re dark recordings ... You also may find it useful to experiment with the HDMI settings ... rgb seems a little darker to me ... But i think the simplest workaround is to tweak the input settings for the HDMI that the magnavox is connected to in order to lighten the recorded image or make it less contrasty. Both panny Tvs give a brighter image via tuner than via recording ... But it's ok
post #2679 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:

Are you saying that the RECORDINGS are darker than the direct passthrough from the maggie to the tv , or that anything through the maggie is darker?

The output of the DVRs' tuner is clipped more than the video off the TVs' tuner. I'm not just talking about a 'darker' picture, I'm referring to details that are clipped at a level above where a LCD would/will 'clip' them. Increasing the 'brightness' level only makes the 'muddy' video worse.
That program was the worst by far. It appears to have a overall low video level that adds to the problem. The video is soft and very murky. I have played around with the HDMI settings, but the end result is about the same.
Watching that program off the internal Sammy tuner is bad enough with this specific program (as example), but the video off the Maggie is really terrible. The only programming from a digital (SD or HD) channel I have watched have been in the morning. Those are all brightly lit video productions(as opposed to film, during prime time programming), so the problem isn't as noticeable, but still there.

It's seems the circuity clips at a higher level and coupled to the fact this is only SD, not HD, that seems to add to the problem also.

BTW, using OTA or CATV isn't the issue here, neither is 720 vs 1080 network programming.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #2680 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Just got my J&R refurb today. I must say this thing rules. With HDMI hooked up it does a nice job of upconverting. It came in 1 day from NY ground. I live only 2 states away. The only thing is the HDD is small. HD recording will only give me 30 hrs of shows. That is not enough. Sometime next month I will be upgrading the HDD. As soon as I'm sure the unit is solid. I've had Tivo and Dvr(comcast) so I know I'll be needing more space.

I use over the air and netflix. I hate paying for cable and there DVR. I have a dvd burner also for my pc.
post #2681 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 77
To those who are interested in the Maggy's cousin, Philips DVDR3576H-RB DVD Recorder w/ 160GB Hard Drive, J&R has one as of wednesday 12:50 pm pst, refurb for $229.
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2682 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

To those who are interested in the Maggy's cousin, Philips DVDR3576H-RB DVD Recorder w/ 160GB Hard Drive, J&R has one as of wednesday 12:50 pm pst, refurb for $229.
Mickboy

It's interesting that when clicking "Similar Products" at J&R the results show "similarly priced" products. The 2160 and 3576 do not appear as similar products.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #2683 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

post #2684 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Just got one of these today. So far, so good. I'm recording via timer tonight to check it out. Big thanks to Wajo for posting the J&R link.
post #2685 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_j View Post

Just got one of these today. So far, so good. I'm recording via timer tonight to check it out. Big thanks to Wajo for posting the J&R link.

You're welcome!

If you don't have Comcast cable, we prob. won't hear from you for awhile. But, if you do, some of us'll be up for a couple more hours!
post #2686 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

Mickboy

If anyone is really interested in a 3576 as a companion to a 2160, J&R has lots of the $229 refurbs here and Overstock has them for $207 (both also listed in Section 10. Sellers and Support on 1st page of Sticky thread).

The 3576 works well with a 2160 cuz their remotes don't operate the other unit, and they're both all-black.
post #2687 of 3505 Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM

Ordered the 2160 for my wife for Chirstmas on 11/17 from Wallymart. Received an email yesterday saying it has arrived and ready for pickup at the local store. It gave me unitl December 14th to pick it up, so I will wait until it gets close to that date for warranty reasons. I hope she likes it. I know I can't wait to see it and the look on her face. She really misses recording some of her favorite OTA shows now that the VCR is dead.
post #2688 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Website doesn't give any indication....

(I bought one anyway, but getting the SATA version would be nice....)
post #2689 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just got my J&R refurb today. I must say this thing rules. With HDMI hooked up it does a nice job of upconverting. It came in 1 day from NY ground. I live only 2 states away. The only thing is the HDD is small. HD recording will only give me 30 hrs of shows. That is not enough. Sometime next month I will be upgrading the HDD. As soon as I'm sure the unit is solid. I've had Tivo and Dvr(comcast) so I know I'll be needing more space.

I use over the air and netflix. I hate paying for cable and there DVR. I have a dvd burner also for my pc.

I agree that when you use it a lot it feels too small but ... Suggest you look at SP MODE which will double your time / storage with very minimal reduction of picture quality. try it and see if for most recording sp will do a great job and you can record longer programs if you decide to keep 'em - high speed dub to 2 hr DVD.
post #2690 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatha View Post

Website doesn't give any indication....

(I bought one anyway, but getting the SATA version would be nice....)

Last batch were all "A" versions so pretty high odds your's will be SATA.
post #2691 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

slightly OT , but you might want to look at Roku box -- they just added 10 new channels in addition to netflix and amazon on demand. I wanted to see if 2160 can record from the streaming media feed so if I have time this weekend may give that a try. Probably won't work but the roku box is a nice addition to the non-cable setup, assuming you have a reasonably fast Internet.

Also wondering ... Would it be worth trying going OUT from my mac to Hdd? Haven't tried that but it might be a good way to consolidate recordings. h264 vid to ??? Probably easier to just burn DVD on the computer but would be good to know if it works, in case DVD burner in computer poops out. if I discover anything interesting I'll report back, but for now I'm thinking adding cable and watching computer on tv might be easier than redubbing back to vid recorder.
post #2692 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Last batch were all "A" versions so pretty high odds your's will be SATA.

You might have got the last one because

J&R is now "Sold Out" on the 2160A refurbs.

Interesting-- thought he told you they were getting 100 but they posted with limited quantity. Mine arrived yesterday but not yet unboxed. Glad I didn't wait. Wonder if they're getting fewer back now that you've killed The Bug?
post #2693 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Interesting-- thought he told you they were getting 100 but they posted with limited quantity. Mine arrived yesterday but not yet unboxed. Glad I didn't wait. Wonder if they're getting fewer back now that you've killed The Bug?

Well, they're now back online with a few more, after having "Sold Out" posted just before my post above!

I'm hoping to hit Jacques up to see if they can find some more... there are always the IOE's (Initial Operator Errors) who won't have a clue!
post #2694 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:

it looks to be still available...
post #2695 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 PM

artwire- I tried the SP mode today with the Cowboys game. I really didn't like the quality at all. I don't think I will ever record in SP. Plus a new 500gb hard drive isn't that bad of a price.

On the Roku thing I've never heard of any great reviews. I do have a fast connection but the quality doesn't look good on my computer streaming off of Netflix. I have a beast video card and a HP LCD monitor. My main problem with the streaming video from Netflix is that most of the movie available just plain suck. There old or just not that good.
post #2696 of 3505 Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

artwire- I tried the SP mode today with the Cowboys game. I really didn't like the quality at all. I don't think I will ever record in SP. Plus a new 500gb hard drive isn't that bad of a price.

On the Roku thing I've never heard of any great reviews. I do have a fast connection but the quality doesn't look good on my computer streaming off of Netflix. I have a beast video card and a HP LCD monitor. My main problem with the streaming video from Netflix is that most of the movie available just plain suck. There old or just not that good.

Maybe you have a better tv than I do I started using HQ when I first got my maggy and it was filling up fast. Then several guys here recommended the 2 hr speed - I tried it side by side and didn't notice enough of a difference btween HQ and SP to justify the inconvenience of dubbing to DVDs an hour at a time. I generally leave it on 2 hr (per disc ) speed, since it's handy for many programs, but in a pinch I might stretch to 2 1/2 or 3 in order to still be able to HSD some content to a single dvd. if you try to squeeze more than that in, the quality drops considerably and it's not worth it . I have a panny recorder that does much better at LP ( 4 hrs. for a dvd), so for longer stuff that needs to go on one disc, that's what I do.

If you have a big drive installed and are not planning to make dubs, there's no reason to not use HQ. But for casual viewing, if space is an issue, it's a small trade off. Or , if it's something I want to watch but not keep, sometimes I record to the buffer instead of to the HD, and then just let it go. I'm down to only a few hours on one drive now, so have to strategize (and back up).

I like to burn off DVD copies for replaying later or on different tvs, so 1 hr , regardless of how good it looks, or how much space there is, may not work for me. If it's something REALLY special, maybe I'd splurge on HQ -- but then I'd either have to divide the title and chunk the HSD into sections, which is kind of a zzzzzzz, or do a real time dub, which is also kind of a zzzzzzz.

As for roku, the netflix stream is handy (selection varies but there's lots of international and 'classic' movies that we like - and TV. The quality is not eye popping, but with a fast connection the HD stuff has looked about the same as rented DVD quality (not BluRay). I rarely use it, but having access to amazon on Roku is handy if you want to see a just released movie. The new channels I mentioned are internet based, so they offer a chance to catch up on podcasts, news, and even access photos on flickr and picassa. You could do the same by hooking your computer up to your tv, but this is easier for an extra tv.

Glad you're happy with the new Maggy. Let us know how the HD installation goes! (I'm right behind you -- waiting til warranty is over).
post #2697 of 3505 Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 PM

I got my Magnavox from J&R Friday and have been checking it out. I recorded the evening news, then slapped a Maxell DVD-RW in to trasfer from HDD to DVD. I could not get the unit to copy. When I pressed the d.dubbing button on the remote to confirm, nothing happened. I backed up and tried the process again. Nothing. I unplugged the machine for 5 minutes; nothing. I tried a Fujifilm DVD-RW; nothing. Went online and looked at the FAQ, then tried erasing a disc on line 3; nothing. Finally I decided to try a Harmony 550 remote, so once I got it updated, it worked fine! Apparently the d.dubbing button on my remote is bad, so I'm emailing J&R to see if I can get another without sending the whole unit back.

Makes me wonder what type of "refurbishment" this unit went through.
post #2698 of 3505 Old 11-27-2009, 12:12 PM

According to J&R's website, they are currently sold out.
post #2699 of 3505 Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_j View Post

I got my Magnavox from J&R Friday and have been checking it out. I recorded the evening news, then slapped a Maxell DVD-RW in to trasfer from HDD to DVD. I could not get the unit to copy. When I pressed the d.dubbing button on the remote to confirm, nothing happened. I backed up and tried the process again. Nothing. I unplugged the machine for 5 minutes; nothing. I tried a Fujifilm DVD-RW; nothing. Went online and looked at the FAQ, then tried erasing a disc on line 3; nothing. Finally I decided to try a Harmony 550 remote, so once I got it updated, it worked fine! Apparently the d.dubbing button on my remote is bad, so I'm emailing J&R to see if I can get another without sending the whole unit back.

Makes me wonder what type of "refurbishment" this unit went through.

No, prob. nothing wrong!

For dubbing HDD > DVD, use the General Settings > Dubbing menu, as described here.

D.Dubbing is most used for dubbing from finalized DVD > HDD, and the DVD has to be playing at the time you press D. Dubbing button.

For Erasing or Formatting a RW disc, you have to set the 2160A on Source L3, as described here.

Your RW discs were not Formatted since you didn't know the secret L3 thing. Formatting is automatic, so you could insert a RW and nothing will happen if not on L3. So, those RW discs weren't ready for dubbing.

You can't Format or Erase (on L3) if a timer rec program is within 15 minutes of starting, and you can't Finalize a disc (on L3) within 1-hour of a timer rec program.

Click #1 in my signature for a list of the other help files on setup and operation.
post #2700 of 3505 Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Duh! When all else fails, read the directions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page