Panasonic remote error "2 CHECK REMOTE" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My DMR-E80H unit appears to be functioning normally, except that it does not respond to the remote control. When I try to use the remote, the unit displays the following message: 2 CHK REMOTE. I thought it might be a problem with the remote control, so I purchased a universal remote. However, the universal remote causes the same message to be displayed. Is there a fix for this?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
While pressing and holding ENTER on the remote control, press the number button 1 and see if that operates the unit. If not, repeat with ENTER + #2, then ENTER + #3. One of those will correspond to the remote code set on the main unit.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

wajo, I can't thank you enough! #2 did the trick! By the way, is there something I should avoid that may have created the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
No, someone probably changed the remote code by accident.

Normally, remotes are on code #1, so if you ever want to change the codes that both main unit and remote understand, go into your SETUP > REMOTE CONTROL CODE menu and set the machine for #1, then use the ENTER + 1 on the remote to put them in sync. This'll come in handy if someday you get other devices that use one of the Panny's codes... you can just change to one of the other three.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent...that's good to know...thanks again, and Merry Christmas!
post #6 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cworthy View Post

My DMR-E80H unit appears to be functioning normally, except that it does not respond to the remote control. When I try to use the remote, the unit displays the following message: 2 CHK REMOTE. I thought it might be a problem with the remote control, so I purchased a universal remote. However, the universal remote causes the same message to be displayed. Is there a fix for this?

Many thanks!

As you found out, the "2 CHK REMOTE message is telling you that the machine in question is programmed to use remote two prefix codes. There are three remote codes for these units. I have a small VHS copying workstation where I have three Panasonic DVD recorders and whenever I use any of them, the others display similar messages. The remote control code selection is accessed from the setup page.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

That's interesting, Luke -- thanks. I'm sure my E80H is way outdated by now, but hey--it still works! A more spacious hard drive would be nice, though.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As long as it still works and does what you want, I don't see any issue with it. It is still repairable, as far as I know, so enjoy it. The remore that came with the E80 has the DVD drive open/close button. None of the newer models have this button, so I have purchased a number of the E80 remotes and am using them rather than the remote that the newer machines came with. It controls all of my newer machines, up to and including the EH67, and the open/close works for the newer machines even though their remotes don't have that button.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 13 Old 12-22-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, that's a good idea....where do you purchase the remotes?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One place is panasonic. There may be other places that are less expensive, including eBay.

Luke

post #11 of 13 Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The inexpensive (around $7) Philips universal remotes, when programmed with the 0340 code have the disc tray open/close feature. The Philips universal learning remotes (beginning around $10), after being programmed with the 0340 code, may be taught the rest of the commands from the original Panasonic remote.

The Philips remotes, when programmed with the 0340 code, correspond to Panasonic operating code #1 but provide only the most basic DVD functions.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #12 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM

On a E20,
1) hit the "TOP WINDOW" button on the machine
2) select ACTION from the menu
3) select REMOTE CONTROL CODE
4) select "Set Code 1"
post #13 of 13 Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7558037 View Post
While pressing and holding ENTER on the remote control, press the number button 1 and see if that operates the unit. If not, repeat with ENTER + #2, then ENTER + #3. One of those will correspond to the remote code set on the main unit.
Thank you, in 2020 and I was about to throw away my DMR-E75V, now I can start transferring my VHS to DVD again, thanks,your advice worked perfectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page