Question: about the Panasonic DMR-EH69? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wanting to know if anyone knew about the differences between the DMR-EH68 compared to the DMR-EH69.
Does Amazon sell these models as region-free or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVMARTY View Post

I was wanting to know if anyone knew about the differences between the DMR-EH68 compared to the DMR-EH69.
Does Amazon sell these models as region-free or not?

If you want to know if these models have been "hacked" you should check with the importers selling these models. Sometimes its difficult to determine what individual sellers have done to the items they sell. Amazon has no control over products offered by third parties.

Keep in mind that "grey market" goods are seldom covered by the OEM warranty. "Hacking" a product voids whatever warranty a product may have.

Caveat Emptor!

Jeff has posted links to the Panasonic Operating Instructions for factory original models. See this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16171983

See your September 2009 thread for more information and advice:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1177860

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 15 Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 21
World-Import.com specifically claims certain models are region-free in their literature, but I would always double check to make sure with that particular model if you order. I think they have a very limited warranty of their own, but the manufacturer's is voided. Don't know how any others are, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There are very few diffferences between the EH68 and the EH69 other than the phrase save feature. I'm shure that there are others, but I am unaware of them. If the differences lie in the tuner section, it's moot for those in the US because the PAL tuner won't work here.

Region-free players are available from W-I as stated above, and also from B&H and J&R [what's with the initials?]. I would seriously recommend you skip Amazon and go directly to one of these. I have never had a problem with W-I, and I have bought three recorders from them. B&H and J&R are top rated vendors. I would be confident buying from any of them.

If they have used (open box) items, you can usually get a perfect, or near perfect item at a substantially reduced price. These are frequently items that were returned after the owner decideed that they were too complicated to use. That is, there is nothing wrong with them. (J&R has an open box EH69, B&H has listed used an EH59, EH68, and an EH69.)

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your reponses to my questions.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

There are very few diffferences between the EH68 and the EH69 other than the phrase save feature. I'm shure that there are others, but I am unaware of them. If the differences lie in the tuner section, it's moot for those in the US because the PAL tuner won't work here.

Region-free players are available from W-I as stated above, and also from B&H and J&R [what's with the initials?]. I would seriously recommend you skip Amazon and go directly to one of these. I have never had a problem with W-I, and I have bought three recorders from them. B&H and J&R are top rated vendors. I would be confident buying from any of them.

If they have used (open box) items, you can usually get a perfect, or near perfect item at a substantially reduced price. These are frequently items that were returned after the owner decideed that they were too complicated to use. That is, there is nothing wrong with them. (J&R has an open box EH69, B&H has listed used an EH59, EH68, and an EH69.)

Thanks. More questions: Do you know the difference between the EH59 and the others? Do they all have the same size HDD? Do any have digital audio inputs? Are all models made in Japan, or if not where?

"The truth is out there!"
post #7 of 15 Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The SD card slot is only on the 68 and 69 models. The 58 and 59 do not have SD card support. I searched the manuals, and the only EH69 exclusive parts are SD card support, and dard drive size.

EH58 & EH59 250gb
EH68 & EH69 320gb

These recorders do not have any digital inputs. The manual does not say where they are made, and I don't have access to the machine or box to check right now, so I can't say.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 15 Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Probably Malaysia and click on my sig. for a brief outline of each model. As Luke said no consumer DVDRs have ever had any type of digital inputs, even the DV input is reencoded inside the machines.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Probably Malaysia and click on my sig. for a brief outline of each model. As Luke said no consumer DVDRs have ever had any type of digital inputs, even the DV input is reencoded inside the machines.

My Panasonic VHS/DVD combo recorders were made in Malaysia and my Panasonic DVD recorders were made in China. I don't have any Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM

Liked: 21
Sometime in the middle (or maybe it was actually near the end) of the EH75V's run is when they switched from Japan to Malaysia.

To tell you the truth, I've never even looked to see which country mine was made in. All I know is that it's been the most dependable of all the hard drive models I own.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I looked at my EH69, and it says made in China on the back. I'm now curious about my other recorders.

Luke

post #12 of 15 Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I finally checked and now I can't remember. Some say made in Japan, some in Singapore and some say made in China. I need to write this stuff down I guess. I have been unable to check my EH55 since it's buried so deep in my system.

Luke

post #13 of 15 Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM

If you still have the boxes, you can check them. I have 3 EH55s, all made in China, and 2 EH75s, both made in Japan.

John
post #14 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought that the information was onl yon the machine itself. I'll look on the boxes, that'll make it easier.

Here is what I have so far, there are two more that friends have:

EH50 - Sinapore
EH55 - China
EH59 - China
EH68 - China
EH69 - China
EH75 - Japan

The build quality seems very good on all of these though, so I wonder if it makes much difference.

Luke

post #15 of 15 Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, I picked up the information on the last two recorders I have access to. Here is the whole list.

E85 - Japan
EH50 - Sinapore
EH55 - China
EH75 - Japan
EH67 - China
EH68 - China
EH59 - China
EH69 - China

Everything recent on that list is of Chinese manufacture.

Luke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page