In December 2014 I wrote here of my success to upgrade from a 320GB to a 500GB, IIRC in my #1
513. My own disorganized notes and logs, though extensive, don't make clear what is needed to repeat that success.
About two weeks ago my #2
513 locked up trying to play a recording made 9 months ago. I removed and checked its OEM 320GB WD3200AVVS HD with a Linux PC and Smartctl, which confirmed the WD's 20906 hours resulted in 131 pending sectors. Acceptable pending sectors is 0. So, I ordered a new old stock 512 byte sector 500GB WD5000AVDS reportedly manufactured January 2013 and set about recovering to a file from the old disk using dd_rhelp
. It "successfully" created a file of 305245M. When the new HD arrived I installed it, initialized it, and made and deleted 5 second recordings twice. I then removed it, reconnected it to the PC, and did the following:
# dd if=wd3200avvs8180.img of=/dev/sdc seek=2008040 skip=2008036
623134412+0 records in
623134412+0 records out
319044818944 bytes (319 GB, 297 GiB) copied, 15120.5s, 21.1 MB/s
That took approximately 4.25 hours via eSATA connection. I then viewed the first sectors and noted at sector 3, address 00400h the code
48 44 44 46 73 20 30 30 2e 30 37 20
creating the string HDDFs 00.07, same as before initialization. So I installed it again, only to find no recordings. Then I revisited post 204 in this thread
about need to hex edit some bytes to indicate the correct disk size and "file" locations. I then changed the 320G disk size
"b0 ea 42 25 e3 a3 40 25 cb 46 02 00 02" at address 0x800 (sector 4) to 500G
"30 60 38 3a e7 23 35 3a 47 3c 03 00 02"
and new locations of the changed data "files" for 320GB:
MPG_SEGMPG_SEGM.DAT = d9 a3 1e 00 0c 00 00 00 06
AV001_0AV001_00.MPG = e5 a3 1e 00 00 00 22 25 06
to 500GB data at editor addresses
0xB80 = d9 a3 1e 00 10 00 00 00 06
0xBC0 = e9 a3 1e 00 00 80 16 3a 06
which are on the fifth sector of the target.
The good news: Re-installation once again showed all 144 recordings, and #74
that was playing when it locked up has now played all the way through. SP freespace had been somewhere around 24 hours. Now it's showing 94+.
The bad news: Either dd_rescue apparently was not able to copy all program sectors successfully, or the bad/missing sector(s) are sectors related to the commercial deletion I made following recording it, more likely the former, because what dd_rhelp actually reported on completion was:
100.00%(99.99%/0%)... All your data has been dd_rescued !! Please note that it doesn't mean that it has been RECOVERED.
causes the 513 to get lost @19:59 and takes somewhere around 20-30 seconds to recover and finish the rest. I have that recording at lower quality on DVD. The bad spot is just before the end of a chapter, and the recovery takes place right where the new chapter starts. The loss seems to be approximately 11 seconds of program. I'm happy it wasn't worse.
If you are having problems with HD recording playback, and your recordings are important enough, consider removing the HD from your DVDR and checking it out on a PC like I did. This is the second 320GB WD3200AVVS HD to go bad in one of my Funai DVDRs.