Panasonic DMR-EX95V HDD ERR Displayed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me please?
I have a Panasonic DMR-EX95V Hard drive/DVD/VCR combi which displays "HDD ERR" and opens the DVD drawer during its power up sequence.
I am unable to clear this error.
I can hear the hard drive spin up when power is applied to the player.
I have removed the Samsung 250Gb Hard drive and formatted it via my PC, which worked fine.
I have checked the PSU visually for failing capacitors and othe failing components, no problems found.
I have visually inspected the IDE ribbon cable for breaks damage ect. again nothing found and also ensured it was plugged into the Disk controller correctly, again this was OK.
I did get once only an error message of "FM LIST DL ERR", but I'm not sure if I caused that when I was reseating the AC power connection, during my invetsigation.
However this did make me wonder if this was indicating a posible firmware corruption and the DVD drawer opened because it was expecting a firmware DVD to be placed in the drawer, (although I appreciate I'm posibly clucthing at straws here) If this scenario is feasible, does anyone know where I can get a DMR-EX95V firmware file from please ? I have searched on Panasonic's website in the UK, and could not find any firmware files for this model.

My main thought was that the IDE controller, which appears tio piggy back onto the main board, has failed ?

I've searched for this error on similar Panasonic DMR modeils and I can't find any reference to any similar errors.
If anyone has any suggestions/thoughts I would be most grateful.
Best Regards,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy95 View Post

Hi,
I have a Panasonic DMR-EX95V Hard drive/DVD/VCR combi which displays "HDD ERR" and opens the DVD drawer during its power up sequence.
I have removed the Samsung 250Gb Hard drive and formatted it via my PC, which worked fine.
I have checked the PSU visually for failing capacitors and othe failing components, no problems found.
I have visually inspected the IDE ribbon cable for breaks damage ect. again nothing found and also ensured it was plugged into the Disk controller correctly, again this was OK.
I did get once only an error message of "FM LIST DL ERR", but I'm not sure if I caused that when I was reseating the AC power connection, during my invetsigation.
However this did make me wonder if this was indicating a posible firmware corruption and the DVD drawer opened because it was expecting a firmware DVD to be placed in the drawer, (although I appreciate I'm posibly clucthing at straws here) If this scenario is feasible, does anyone know where I can get a DMR-EX95V firmware file from please ? I have searched on Panasonic's website in the UK, and could not find any firmware files for this model.

My main thought was that the IDE controller, which appears tio piggy back onto the main board, has failed ?

I've searched for this error on similar Panasonic DMR modeils and I can't find any reference to any similar errors.
Best Regards,
Jon

Formatting the hard drive in a computer will probably render the hard drive unreadable in a Panasonic. I have no experience with such a procedure. (My DMR-EH50 from 2005 has a hard drive reformatting feature in the Disc Management menu.)

If you should locate the firmware download be sure to burn it to a CD, not a DVD. If your EX95 is a product manufactured for sale in the UK I suggest contacting Panasonic UK support in order to obtain the latest firmware CD. If your EX95 has been "hacked" there might be firmware complications.

Here is the pertinent error text from page 24 of the (2006 Canadian English) DMR-EH75 Service Manual:

HDD
ERROR
[HDD ERR] is displayed when
start up of HDD was failed.
(Except error of setting of
Power on Stand-by)
a) When normal start up was failed.
b) When start up at HDD boot was failed.
c) When start up from state of P-OFF was
failed.
d) When start up from state of HDD SLEEP
was failed.
[HDD ERR] is displayed when above each
start up of HDD was failed.
*In case b), tary opens automatically and
[HDDERR] is displayed until version up disc is
inserted.
No display

HDD NG Power on Stand-by setting
error
[HDD NG] is displayed when power on Standby
setting of HDD is NG or when HDD which
power on Stand-by is not set to is used.
Please try to replace HDD with junine HDD as
service parts.
No display

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

According to the service manual page 23:

Quote:
[HDDERR] is displayed when start up of HDD was failed.

1. When normal start up was failed
2. When start up at HDD boot was failed
3. When start up from state of P-OFF was failed
4. When start up from state of HDD SLEEP was failed.

* In case 1.), tray opens automatically and [HDDERR] is displayed until version up disc is inserted.

Page 51 seems to suggest a firmware update is needed.

This thread might show more info on what is needed.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Tomwill,
thaks for your post as well.
I have searched through the links you very kidly sent.
It seems both you and Digado, were right about a specific Panasonic file being held on the hard drive, which unfortunately, I have now over written.
The thread link you posted, contained a link to a french website, which had firmware listed, but not unfortunately for the DMR-EX95V.
Hopefully Panasonic UK will be able to send me the file (unlikely though I suspect) or hopefully some kind soul on here will be able to provide me with a copy of the firmware file.
I'm going to place a 'wanted' post in the classified section on here as I don't mind paying as long as its a reasonable amount as well, just in case.
But many thanks, for your help.
Best Regards,
Jon
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The thread link you posted, contained a link to a french website, which had firmware listed, but not unfortunately for the DMR-EX95V.

If the purpose of the firmware is only to write code onto the hard drive and nothing else, it might be worth a try on your recorder. As long as it wrote only to the hard drive, what would you have to lose, since your hard drive is already wiped?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

If the purpose of the firmware is only to write code onto the hard drive and nothing else, it might be worth a try on your recorder. As long as it wrote only to the hard drive, what would you have to lose, since your hard drive is already wiped?

Firmware also "flashes" the CPU and perhaps other logic chips. For that reason use only the firmware for the exact model.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi,

Best Regards,
Jon

Jon,

Did you ever get the firmware for your DMR-EX95V ?

Graham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page