AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DVD Recorders (Standard Def) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/)
-   -   Panasonic DMR-80H hard drive replacement (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/1285186-panasonic-dmr-80h-hard-drive-replacement.html)

sunroach 10-22-2010 05:25 PM

May hard drive died. I have a replacement for it. I called the idiots at Panasonic for the software for the hard drive. They tell me to send the whole unit to Texas for fix. IDIOTS ! There must be a way for me to get the new hard drive to work. Is there software or maybe just needs to be formatted?
Help me get this recorder working, I miss it.
thanks

sunroach 10-22-2010 07:13 PM

Ok, everything is good. Put it all back together with new hard drive and it formatted and working. Yea

Church AV Guy 10-26-2010 11:12 AM

There were less than two hours between your two posts. It was THAT easy. Not all of the newer (international) models work this way, but as far as I know, all domestic Panasonic DVD recorders work the way yours does. All that's necessary is replace the drive and fire up the machine. It asks for the drive to be formatted, and you are back up and running.

Yes, the trip to Texas would have been a TOTAL waste of time and money!

suplex 10-27-2010 03:48 PM

Wow, I have a Pioneer 640 and when the HDD went on it, I sent it back to Pioneer. The turnaround time wasn't all that bad either. However, I have heard that you can't just swap the HDD and your finished (with the Pioneer)...so you are very fortunate that Panasonic allows that. I also heard that there is a Polaroid model that can be easily swapped with a different HDD (as many in here have discussed and posted pictures about).

mickinct 10-28-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

There were less than two hours between your two posts. It was THAT easy. Not all of the newer (international) models work this way, but as far as I know, all domestic Panasonic DVD recorders work the way yours does. All that's necessary is replace the drive and fire up the machine. It asks for the drive to be formatted, and you are back up and running.

Yes, the trip to Texas would have been a TOTAL waste of time and money!

CORRECTION; the dmr-eh50's and the dmr-eh55's , dmr-eh75v all need you to install firmware disc when installing new hdd in these, you will get a HDD-ERR ON SCREEN when you turn on machine after install, the disc drive will open and you insert the cd and it will format the hdd. you get firmware from the panasonic web site.

tomwil 10-29-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

You get firmware from the panasonic web site.

Can you provide a link where these firmwares are found on the Panasonic site?

Westly-C 10-29-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Can you provide a link where these firmwares are found on the Panasonic site?

Here-
E80H
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e....DMR-E80H.D#ts

EH50S
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...DMR-EH50S.D#ts

DMR-EH55S
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...DMR-EH55S.D#ts

If need be, you may have to manually enter your model number in the search box (my browser's cookies may not carry over via the posted link).
After that, click the Drivers and Downloads tab for you model Panasonic.

tomwil 10-29-2010 10:47 AM


The firmware listed for the EH50S and EH55S appears to correct operational problems, but I don't think it is capable of formatting a new hard drive. Perhaps different firmware (available elsewhere) needs to be created on a CD and inserted into the recorder, as this thread seems to mention?

Am I wrong? Or, does anyone know??

Super Eye 10-30-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

Wow, I have a Pioneer 640 and when the HDD went on it, I sent it back to Pioneer. The turnaround time wasn't all that bad either. However, I have heard that you can't just swap the HDD and your finished (with the Pioneer)

You can replace a Pioneer HDD yourself however you need a service remote and a service DVD. I haven't (YET) done this myself but you can get a service remote for under $25 and you can download the service disc data for a small donation.

Sorry for the slight hi-jack, just didn't want any owner of a PIO to think their Pio or Sony clone HDD DVD recorders are toast after the HDD goes. For further assistance do a forum search on this subject and pay special attention to any posts by CitiBear & Sean Nelson - they both have extensive first hand knowledge on replacing the HDD.

CoH 11-01-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mickinct
You get firmware from the panasonic web site.

where I can find firmware of Toshiba RD-X6 ? , please help me . Thanks

Church AV Guy 11-01-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

There were less than two hours between your two posts. It was THAT easy. Not all of the newer (international) models work this way, but as far as I know, all domestic Panasonic DVD recorders work the way yours does. All that's necessary is replace the drive and fire up the machine. It asks for the drive to be formatted, and you are back up and running.

Yes, the trip to Texas would have been a TOTAL waste of time and money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

CORRECTION; the dmr-eh50's and the dmr-eh55's , dmr-eh75v all need you to install firmware disc when installing new hdd in these, you will get a HDD-ERR ON SCREEN when you turn on machine after install, the disc drive will open and you insert the cd and it will format the hdd. you get firmware from the panasonic web site.

I have never yet had to replace a HDD in any of my DVD recorders, but what you say seems to contradict the posted reports of many people from this forum. What is your evidence that replacing a hard drive in these models requires a the operating firmware to be loaded from an external optical disk?

ch256 11-08-2010 05:12 PM

Does anyone know if a Panny HDD unit will accept a HDD from a TIVO unit?
(assuming its the same size and interface type)
There are so many TIVOs for sale for $20-$40, I was thinking of getting one to get the drive for a replacement.

stevethebrain 12-29-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunroach View Post

Ok, everything is good. Put it all back together with new hard drive and it formatted and working. Yea

HHD swap ?

I've swapped a few HHD in laptops was very simple was the Panasonic swap also easy I don't have a repair manuel just the 128 page owners guide.

Thanks

Church AV Guy 12-29-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

HHD swap ?

I've swapped a few HHD in laptops was very simple was the Panasonic swap also easy I don't have a repair manuel just the 128 page owners guide.

Thanks

You would find changing the hard drive in some manufacturers DVD recorders as easy as the Panasonic (or your laptop) but others are impossible for the consumer to replace on their own. Many of the newer Panasonic DVD recorders do not have a user replaceable HDD.

RASB 10-23-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunroach (Post 19376503)
May hard drive died. I have a replacement for it. I called the idiots at Panasonic for the software for the hard drive. They tell me to send the whole unit to Texas for fix. IDIOTS ! There must be a way for me to get the new hard drive to work. Is there software or maybe just needs to be formatted?<br>
Help me get this recorder working, I miss it.<br>
thanks

How did you get it going? I have a no firmware message on my DMR-EH75V when a new hard drive is installed or even using the old one. Panasonic tells me the same thing. Send it to Texas. I'd love to know if firmware can be downloaded so it can be installed. Please and thank you.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.