New release with dubbing support from Pioneer DVR HDD to PC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jwillis84
  • 1 Post By jwillis84

post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
New release with dubbing support from Pioneer DVR HDD to PC

A new alpha 4.3.3 contains support for:

Toshiba RD-XS32, 50, 52, 34, 54, 35, 55, 34SB, 34SJ
Philips 3575 and 3576
Magnavox 2160 and 513
RCA DRC8030

Pioneer 510, 520, 530, 533, 540, 550, 560, LX61, LX70

This is the non-public alpha release (path)

Again, seeking feedback for anyone who decides to try recovering recordings on their own. This is not an official release but has been tested with the models listed. What sets it apart from previous attempts is that this is a Windows program that runs under XP through Win10, and on Linux and OSX under WINE. It works with physical drive connections over IDE, SATA (and USB adapters for those interfaces) or with Raw disk images and is capable of making raw disk image backups of a drive.

Support for Panasonic models is being looked at at this time but none are currently supported.

Each brand and many models have a slightly different pattern of storage. There is no "one" solution that works for all. So while in some brands, like the Pioneers and Toshibas, untested models (may) work, it is by no means for certain.. and that is why feedback is sought.

Most file systems and virtual file systems are presented with a navigable 'tree' to simplify 'finding' a particular recording by Title. But brute force discovery is available for unknown file systems.. it is by nature a data recovery tool.

For supported, tested models recordings are reassembled automatically and dubbed directly from DVR HDD to a local or networked PC with minimal unrelated access and copying from the rest of the DVR HDD . Limited command line automation and batch file processing are possible.

Last edited by jwillis84; 04-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I applaud your efforts, I may just have to plug my Toshiba XS back in and give it a try It makes excellent recordings(honestly a tad better than my Panasonics) but due to it's 1/2 D1 resolution on any speed longer than 2:20(can't remember the MN number but it equates to about 2h 20 min./DVD) I prefer to use my Panasonics where I can get up to 4hrs of full D1 or what I use most, using FR set to 2hrs 42 min or as I call it, FR2.7.
I'd think others like Citibear(if he's still around??) would appreciate the Pioneer support but other than an odd international Pioneer 660 that like the Toshiba is currently shelved, I don't use Pioneers. It's just I have so many Panasonics sitting around with various titles on them unfinalized(with the plan to add more titles) I'm kind of stuck with Panasonic
post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2019, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I applaud your efforts, I may just have to plug my Toshiba XS back in and give it a try It makes excellent recordings(honestly a tad better than my Panasonics) but due to it's 1/2 D1 resolution on any speed longer than 2:20(can't remember the MN number but it equates to about 2h 20 min./DVD) I prefer to use my Panasonics where I can get up to 4hrs of full D1 or what I use most, using FR set to 2hrs 42 min or as I call it, FR2.7.
I'd think others like Citibear(if he's still around??) would appreciate the Pioneer support but other than an odd international Pioneer 660 that like the Toshiba is currently shelved, I don't use Pioneers. It's just I have so many Panasonics sitting around with various titles on them unfinalized(with the plan to add more titles) I'm kind of stuck with Panasonic
Well I guess it will just mark time then.

I've made a few videos of the Pioneers here:

560 - 4 min 13 sec

640 - 6 min 05 sec

520 - 4 min 20 sec

I've also created a YouTube Channel to store all the videos for all of the recorders we have success with. I'll get around to them as quickly as I can. At the moment Peter is adding a new file system type to support the last of the Panasonics like the EH50, EH55, EH68, EH69, EH75V. Those are next.. then we'll maybe look back at the JVC MX, DVM recorders.. but they are a challenge.

I know they're all gone.. figments of a fevered eBayer's dream.. but they sure beat a PC with a capture dongle.. hands down.

Videorecap is "too new" to have a URL of its own.. google just issued a generic breadcrumb for it:

Videorecap
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyC...2_8rc8GFJ11oeA
jjeff and mickinct like this.

Last edited by jwillis84; 04-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

its late/early morning.. we just got (i think) all of the panasonics working.. details to work out.. an alpha won't be forth coming immediately.. Peter has a long trip coming up. But the bottom line is most models up to 2009 should be covered.. but sparsely tested.. i don't have extensive access to every model and some are only available in russia. mostly the dynasties are now known, and the families each model is a part of.. now i have to take a nap
jjeff likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great work jwillis84. I haven't been on this forum for a while now but you've tweaked my interest in my old recorders. I do have a few of the recorders on your list, just wanted to know if this application works on the Sonys 900 and 715 (circa 2004 and 2006 pre pioneer) and also the Canadian Pioneer 460 ( I think the 400 series might be the same as the 500s, not sure on that). Thanks again for sharing all of your efforts and expertise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page