Extracting recordings from Panasonic EH55, E75, EH59, EH69 working - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jjeff
  • 1 Post By Church AV Guy
  • 1 Post By mickinct
  • 2 Post By mickinct

post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Extracting recordings from Panasonic EH55, E75, EH59, EH69 working

This is terribly premature news, but also very cool.. warning: fragmentation and long recordings, and hundreds or thousands of recordings per drive have not been tested yet. These are working only with a small sample of recordings created for this specific testing purpose.. real world testing has yet to commence.

[background information]

The Panasonics break into year families as well, but also feature families with enough difference to require treating them as individuals.

(2003) PATA E80H E100H
(2004) PATA E85H E95H E500H
(2005) PATA EH50 EH60
(2006) PATA EH55 EH65 EH75
(2007) SATA EH57 EH67
(2008) SATA EH58 EH68
(2009) SATA EH59 EH69 EH49

That means unless we have actually touched one of these models for testing, it likely won't work because of the differences between them. Only trust the models we have said explicitly (are) working and don't generalize that to assume they are (all) working.

So far the specific models tested as working are EH55, EH75, EH59, EH69

Models E500H, E50 and EH57 are not tested (yet).

It is still quite amazing however to see the recordings listed by recorder title and then be able to copy them to a PC and played back in VLC. The IB gui makes it a very simple procedure of selecting the desired recordings and indicating where to put them. The original recordings on the hard disk are (not) deleted from the original hard disk. IB does not write to the original hard disk, it only "reads" the original recorder hard disk.

side note: for all but the earliest models tested, they will accept a [smaller] hard drive than what came with the unit, however that drive (from the EH55 models forward) must be "blessed" or "preformated" with a section of the drive either by using a firmware update CD or by copying the bytes up to the signature MEIHDFS sector from the old drive to the new drive. Not doing so will effectively 'brick' the unit since (a completely blank drive)) cannot be "formatted" by the recorder alone. [This is a complicated procedure!] Forget about dreams of upgrading to larger hard drives, or a simple hard drive swap when a drive fails.. you need to seek experienced assistance unless you have an abundance of confidence and can live with the consequences. -- that said removing the hard disk for duplicating recordings to a PC and returning the drive should be safe, the risks are literally in your hands.

(Also) migrating or "returning" a drive back to a recorder after a new one has replaced the first drive, is not possible. The recorder nvram or eeprom retains a copy of the disk recording inventory, formatting "wipes" this from the recorders memory and it cannot be restored. - dubious aborted format procedures do not work, because the last inventory in nvram will never match what is actually on the hard drive.. eventually you will have to format the drive to re-sync the recorder memory with what is actually on the hard disk and that resets everything to square one, from that point (forward). The recorder will make a copy of the recording meta data into its nvram or eeprom (for New recordings), but will not get that information from the hard disk. The copy on the hard disk may be used for performing a checksum on boot to determine if a reformat is necessary.. but otherwise doesn't seem to used by the recorder.. fortunately for us it is a complete and accurate copy of what is in recorder memory... as long as they are "mated". Returning a "mated" hard drive to the recorder does not experience these issues because what is on the hard drive matches what is in recorder memory.

Until now.. if the recorder and hard drive became "un-mated".. those recording files on the hard disk would have been effectively (orphaned) and become unrecoverable. For "supported" or "tested" recorder models.. it is now possible to (dub/copy/offload) those recordings to a PC before returning the drive to the recorder and performing a "format".

Last edited by jwillis84; 04-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Nice,
A couple of things. Not sure if you've seen my Panasonic models thread, but if not it might be of some help to you to keep track of Panasonic models, mostly N. American models.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...-features.html
Secondly, I haven't done it but I have read of people who when they disconnect a Panasonic drive and then hook it back up, they are immediately presented with the option(and only option to proceed) to reformat the drive Apparently a way around this is to unplug the power?? to the drive at a particular time, which gets you past this forced format without having to format the drive. I believe this forced reformat was only on older Panasonic('03 and '04 model year) but I'm just going off memory. I know ChurchAV Guy posted a link to a thread talking about how to get around the format but it was several years ago and I couldn't find it. Here are some threads you might find interesting.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...re-needed.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...placement.html
jwillis84 likes this.

Last edited by jjeff; 04-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'd dearly love to get around the forced reformat.. but so far I have not found a way.. it seems to occur with all models.. but even if you succeed with the aborted reformat. The Title list in the recorder memory does not match what is actually on the hard drive. that is why I put the cautionary notes above.

If Churchguy actually did find a way around this.. or with specific models I am more than ready to listen and learn. It makes no sense to me you can't re-catalog the recording Title information from the hard drive.. somehow.. maybe from a service menu or something.

But if you don't have a way.. then make sure you have your recordings backed up before swapping drives in back and forth and reformatting.. you could orphan off recordings you can't get back without IB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

slight update...

(2003) PATA E80H E100H
(2004) PATA E85H E95H E500H
(2005) PATA EH50 EH60
(2006) PATA EH55 EH65 EH75
(2007) SATA EH57 EH67
(2008) SATA EH58 EH68
(2009) SATA EH59 EH69 EH49
(2010) SATA BS750

EH50 support is now working
E500H and BS750 look likely
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
...I haven't done it but I have read of people who when they disconnect a Panasonic drive and then hook it back up, they are immediately presented with the option(and only option to proceed) to reformat the drive Apparently a way around this is to unplug the power?? to the drive at a particular time, which gets you past this forced format without having to format the drive. I believe this forced reformat was only on older Panasonic('03 and '04 model year) but I'm just going off memory. I know ChurchAV Guy posted a link to a thread talking about how to get around the format but it was several years ago and I couldn't find it...
I vaguely remember this post but it was SO long ago I can't remember anything specific about it. I'll try to search for it again, but I wouldn't hold out much hope after all this time.

Sorry.
jwillis84 likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Enter at your own risk. I don't know anything about bytes, rams etc. I just followed the answer to my prayer and it worked for me. I am not responsible for what you might lose off your hdd. Okay here goes...

1) With the machine off, connect the old hdd into the new machine. Make sure it is not fastened down by any screws, and that you have easy access to be able to pull out the power cord from the hdd, QUICKLY. This is not the power cord to the panasonic. It is the power cord to the actual hard drive. If you have a IDE hard drive, it will be the white end cord that attaches to the hard drive.
2) Turn on the Panasonic as usual.
3) When the prompt to format comes up, You will press enter or ok on your remote.
4) And press again to start - BUT be ready to RIP OUT the power cord to the hard drive!!!! I counted about 4 secs...then ripped out the power cord..ONLY!!! Someone suggested to try to remove it as straight as possible. (I think the objective here is SPEED!!).
5) A message prompted - I can't remember what it said. Something about turning off the machine and when it returns to standby mode, restart or something. Follow the instructions on the screen but don't plug the power cord back in yet.
6) When the machine is off (not unplugged from wall - you know like with the timer still on), connect the hard drive power cord. If you are not comfortable with this. unplug all power etc and then connect the hard drive.
7) Connect panasonic in the usual way and turn on machine.
8) It should power up in with the hard drive formatted but all the titles there in the usual looking way. And remote has full access to use it to edit and copy to disc as you were previously able to do.

THIS IS FROM POST 105.................https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...l#post20500729
jwillis84 likes this.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 04-17-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Enter at your own risk. I don't know anything about bytes, rams etc. I just followed the answer to my prayer and it worked for me. I am not responsible for what you might lose off your hdd. Okay here goes...

1) With the machine off, connect the old hdd into the new machine. Make sure it is not fastened down by any screws, and that you have easy access to be able to pull out the power cord from the hdd, QUICKLY. This is not the power cord to the panasonic. It is the power cord to the actual hard drive. If you have a IDE hard drive, it will be the white end cord that attaches to the hard drive.
2) Turn on the Panasonic as usual.
3) When the prompt to format comes up, You will press enter or ok on your remote.
4) And press again to start - BUT be ready to RIP OUT the power cord to the hard drive!!!! I counted about 4 secs...then ripped out the power cord..ONLY!!! Someone suggested to try to remove it as straight as possible. (I think the objective here is SPEED!!).
5) A message prompted - I can't remember what it said. Something about turning off the machine and when it returns to standby mode, restart or something. Follow the instructions on the screen but don't plug the power cord back in yet.
6) When the machine is off (not unplugged from wall - you know like with the timer still on), connect the hard drive power cord. If you are not comfortable with this. unplug all power etc and then connect the hard drive.
7) Connect panasonic in the usual way and turn on machine.
8) It should power up in with the hard drive formatted but all the titles there in the usual looking way. And remote has full access to use it to edit and copy to disc as you were previously able to do.

THIS IS FROM POST 105.................https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...l#post20500729
Thanks mickinct, that was the exact post I was looking for, even has posts from ChurchAVguy in it
Just to clarify, this is only necessary if putting a HDD from one Panasonic in another different Panasonic? I mean just disconnecting the HDD from a Panasonic(say to read in a PC) and then hooking that same HDD back to that Panasonic doesn't require the hdd power cord disconnect trick does it?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Correct the ISO buster does not effect the drive in any way,, just reads. Panasonic doesn't require the hdd power cord disconnect trick does it? NO
jjeff and jwillis84 like this.

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page