Convert VHS Sound Issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-08-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Convert VHS Sound Issue

Using a DarkCrystal HD capture pro capture card with it's own built in software (AverMedia) to convert VHS to MPEG format, everything works well EXCEPT the sound, the sound works fine when watching the VHS video on my PC, but the moment I select "record" the sound get strange, either there is no sound, or it crackles and is static ridden, I am running Windows 10 Pro, with the basic "realtech" audio features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scj6771 View Post
Using a DarkCrystal HD capture pro capture card with it's own built in software (AverMedia) to convert VHS to MPEG format, everything works well EXCEPT the sound, the sound works fine when watching the VHS video on my PC, but the moment I select "record" the sound get strange, either there is no sound, or it crackles and is static ridden, I am running Windows 10 Pro, with the basic "realtech" audio features.
On capture most video capture with sound capture, systems "prioritize" capture over audio playback.

If there is not enough speed or resources in the computer, or across the bus, the capture software automatically degrades the audio playback.

It "allows" pops, cracks and whistles.. because its assumes you wanted the best capture quality possible.. there is no way to correct this.. its behavior as designed. The only alternative is to delay the audio and let it drift out of sync with the playback and people usually hate that worse.

This is fairly standard practice.

Avermedia usually makes available a "gamers port" or "real time experience port" that by-passes the capture pipeline, either by splitting the analog signal off before the actual capture input and feeding it direct to a separate "headphone jack" or "hdmi" output with advertised "zero lag time" - which works simply because the signals your "monitoring" never actually made a trip through the computer to be digitized and then played back.

Generally "monitoring" is used to help "set the Levels" of the Input amplifier to the capture device.. so its not too soft not too loud.. but just right..

Cheaper capture devices without a splitter port, people usually partner with an Input mixer board, so that they can split off the audio signal before plugging the recording signal into the audio input jack of the video capture device.

Last edited by jwillis84; 05-08-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page