A Moment of 'Silence' for Verbatim? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By jwillis84
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 2 Post By MRAYB
  • 1 Post By Super Eye
  • 1 Post By SuperFist

post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A Moment of 'Silence' for Verbatim?

Verbatim sold to CMC

Quote:

This month Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. decided to sell its legendary Verbatim business unit to CMC Magnetics.

It is unclear whether CMC intends to get these businesses and keep them running.

Mitsubishi Chemical no longer sees new opportunities with CD/DVD/Blu-ray media, which is why it is selling not only the brand, but all of the related assets.

Mitsubishi is not the only company to exit optical disc media in the recent years. Such legendary names as Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Maxell, Fujifilm, BASF, and other decided to withdraw from this business in the last ~10 years.
SuperFist likes this.

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-09-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Well, that's a definite R.I.P. for the last quality manufacturer.
The funai's are taking over the world.
SuperFist likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Well, that's a definite R.I.P. for the last quality manufacturer.
The funai's are taking over the world.
Here is the article with this excerpt first:

"CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597...rom-mitsubishi

And another:

"However, CMC has already been producing CDs with the Verbatim logo beforehand, so the change of ownership of the company will not affect the quality of its product, and may even lead to a price reduction of Blu-ray Disc."

https://www.elinfor.com/news/the-opt...ompany-p-11150

Last edited by jkeldo; 07-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 425
THE BEST blank media ever produced. Back in the day when people did that "stuff", they were always perfect. Other big names at the time were like 50/50.
Super Eye and SuperFist like this.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
F

I still have some blanks which are at least 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
THE BEST blank media ever produced. Back in the day when people did that "stuff", they were always perfect. Other big names at the time were like 50/50.
Back in the day?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
F

I still have some blanks which are at least 10 years old.

Back in the day?
Maybe 10 years to me is back in the day. Yes, hundreds of them around here. Could always RW and they worked fine. I use old Memorex hanging from lines around my vegetable gardens so they can spin in the breeze. Birds and critters hate them. Better than a pie tin
post #7 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
While you can still get blank DVDs online at places like Amazon, it's getting harder and harder to find a decent selection B&M. Stores like Target, W/M, Office Depot/Max basically just sell the crap, CMC bottom line stuff like Verbatim Life, Memorex and such. My last B&M to find quality DVDs(AZO Verbs and even the good AZO Verb DLs) was Microcenter and even MC has shrunk their DVD isle to a fraction of what it once was. And DVDs haven't been replaced by BDs, both are just a dwindling supply.
I just received a spindle of the good AZO Verbs from Amazon and while still a decent price($25/100) I haven't seen a sale like they used to do of a 100 spindle for $20 or even less in a very long time
I really don't see CMCs acquisition of the Verbatim name as a price saving measure for the consumer, my guess is now that they've basically got the monopoly the price will be theirs to set I mean if you want to continue to burn DVDs you really haven't got much of a choice.......
post #8 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
^^^ @jjeff
Luckily Canada is a bit behind the US as I can usually get a 50 pack of AZO for $12 CDN at my corner drugstore. April 2019 post Although the sale is not on today.
jwillis84 likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 946
post #10 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow, been a long time since I've dropped by here at AVS.... I'm not surprised about CMC buying the Verbatim name outright. This just mirrors the way things went in the cassette tape business. The big brand names started OEM'ing out their production, then eventually just started leasing the name. Toward the end, the Maxell UR, Sony HF, and TDK D tapes on the shelves were all made in the same factory in Indonesia.

Sad to see recordable DVDs (and CDs, for that matter) go this way. The format has been good to me, and I still burn several discs a week. Compact, easy to store, and I'm not at the mercy of HDD failures or my streaming service losing its contract to run my favorite programs, etc.

Verbatim DVD-R/-RW have been kind of tricky to navigate for a while, the budget-line stuff being CMC (or similar?) dreck for quite a while. The last Verbs I bought were AZO 16x DVD-R. So far, all have been fine.

I laid in a big stock of Taiyo Yuden blanks when CMC took them over. I don't plan on buying any more recordable optical media. The last stuff I did buy was some MediaPro Premium CD-R from Media Supply. I suspect (though have no concrete proof) they're made by CMC. I don't use them for critical recordings, but I have to say I haven't had a problem with the 100 or so I've burned thus far.

Recordable media have had a great run - and I think there's still a place for them - but the majority of consumers are going for video and audio streaming.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Yes those are the real deal.......about 4x the price I paid and probably double what I'd like to pay, but very good media none the less
As long as I can still get Verbatim AZOs from Amazon in the current $25 price range shipped and as long as I get decent burns with them, that will be my standard discs.
Truthfully I got near perfect burns with the regular CMC made Verb Life's in my PCs but for my standalone burners I prefer the AZOs. Besides at Amazon prices the Life discs are basically the same price as AZOs, often times more The last Lifes I got were 100/$17 + tax at MicroCenter, not that cheap anymore

Last edited by jjeff; 07-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes those are the real deal.......about 4x the price I paid and probably double what I'd like to pay, but very good media none the less
As long as I can still get Verbatim AZOs . . . the regular CMC made Verb Life's in my PCs but for my standalone burners I prefer the AZOs.
@jjeff
So what are these Verbatim Data Life Plus disks? Are these good ones or the low-quality "budget" media. They are certainly not priced as budget media.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 AM

I don't know why Verbatim did such a thing! but their Data Life Plus line is actually their top of the line discs, not to be confused by their regular "Life" series which is their bottom of the line budged(CMC made) series.
Life-bottom of the line https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-...%2C162&sr=8-23
AZO series-very good standard DVDs https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-...s%2C162&sr=8-3
Data Life + top of the line(which I personally have never used nor seen in person)
https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-...%2C162&sr=8-15
post #14 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 946
THIS WAS....... A GREAT DEAL
Maxell 50 Pack DVD-RSS Plus Series 4.7 GB 8X DVD-R Silver Printable Discs: $8.99 at Newegg

$8.99
0 Deal Score

875 Views 0 Comments
$8.99 w/ promo code EMCPXPW48, ends 8/13

limit 5 per customer

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Pr...6817287102

MickinCT
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 4966
Oh damn! And here I was upset when Pioneer stopped making DVD-Rs.
MRAYB likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #16 of 18 Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Here is the article with this excerpt first:

"CMC has manufactured Verbatim-branded optical media for a while now using Verbatim’s technologies, so change of ownership is not expected to result in change of quality."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14597...rom-mitsubishi

And another:

"However, CMC has already been producing CDs with the Verbatim logo beforehand, so the change of ownership of the company will not affect the quality of its product, and may even lead to a price reduction of Blu-ray Disc."

https://www.elinfor.com/news/the-opt...ompany-p-11150

I would second that..I've been buying Verbatim for ages.. Didn't know it was sold, but they still continue to be the best for me. Tried other brands, and although non are 100% prefect, (you get a few dud), the least i've had is Verbatim. Even Memorex, and TDK, or "Generic" types, i've gone through an at least 25% of 50-spindle of dud's sometimes.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM

I may not use DVD-R for video any more but I do use CD-R for music and am on my last spindle of T-Y CD-R disks. I was going to go with Verbatim after I ran out but the recent news has made me cautious. So, since 100 CD-R spindles of Verbatim are selling on Amazon for $16, I bought a bunch before the good stuff runs out.

- kelson h

post #18 of 18 Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I may not use DVD-R for video any more but I do use CD-R for music and am on my last spindle of T-Y CD-R disks. I was going to go with Verbatim after I ran out but the recent news has made me cautious. So, since 100 CD-R spindles of Verbatim are selling on Amazon for $16, I bought a bunch before the good stuff runs out.
I have used Maxell and Sony a lot for CD-R with excellent results but the ones I have are from some time ago (5-8 years at least) so can't say if the quality has changed now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page