Pioneer DVR-460H-K burner bad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pioneer DVR-460H-K burner bad?

Bought this unit in 2009 and played around for it for 1-2 hours. Everybody knows me as a Toshiba RD-XS fanboy so I wasn't too impressed with the interface and put it back in the box to sell one day. That day is now, as I want to sell it on Ebay. The unit seems to be fine except it doesn't read DVDs that are read OK on my Maggie and Toshiba units. I tried a JPOP DVD that plays fine on the Maggie 2160 but takes forever to load on the Pioneer, until I get a message the disc in incompatible and it spits it out. So is the burner bad on the Pioneer after it has been sitting all these years? What is the market for this HDD recorder at this point in time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Yes: hard as it is to believe, if you leave even a premium DVD/HDD recorder to sit in its box rotting unused for a decade, chances are the burner will be hosed when you finally try to use or sell it. The dirty little secret of almost all these units is that they were designed with poison pill burners that self-destruct ala "Mission: Impossible" over time (whether you use them or not).

Never was this more apparent than with the Toshiba XS units you favor: heck, many of those had parts fall out of their burners upon first use (never mind after ten years storage). I'm actually stunned that yours are still usable at all: good on you. Then again, my friend Super Eye has managed to burn 40,000 dvds in his Sony RDR-HX780, which uses the same burner as your Pioneer DVR-460, so go figure luck.

A like new in box Pioneer DVR-460 could be worth anywhere from $300- $600 on eBay (despite utterly underwhelming you, it is actually one of the best DVD/HDD recorders ever sold in North America for people who just want to get down to business and not be aggravated by 1000 options and 400 quirks). In their heyday, they were the least buggy, most reliable units ever offered. But, store them unused, and a decade later you have a useless box of transistors. Without a functioning burner, you'll be lucky to get $100 for it after eBay seller fees and shipping.

When listing, be sure you put 96 point text at the top of your description, screaming that the burner doesn't work reliably. Tag the "for parts or repair" category. And then pray you don't get one of those infuriating bidders who can't read or comprehend anything: if they "suddenly discover" it doesn't work when they receive it, and file a defect complaint, eBay will force you to take it back and pay the shipping both ways. Not cheap on a package this size and weight. You might actually be better off cannibalizing it and selling the parts separately (HDD, remote).
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Wow. Haven't heard from you in over 8 months.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Wow. Haven't heard from you in over 8 months.
Oh, I'm still around, Kelson.

Just don't actually log in as often as I used to.

If I don't see anything I'd want to reply to, I just read the thread without participating.

Of course, a Pioneer related thread will always get my attention, or I'll log in after an email notifies me of a PM.

Which, to my surprise, I still get every few weeks.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
Then again, my friend Super Eye has managed to burn 40,000 dvds in his Sony RDR-HX780, which uses the same burner as your Pioneer DVR-460, so go figure luck.
Ha ha I wish CitiBear but I only burned hundreds of SL only discs on my 780. Still going strong.

As to my JVC SVHS VCRs
My original bought new HR-S3911U started showing symptoms of a bad belt that changes the gear from regular playback to regular (non search) FF and rewind. I think I toasted the gear trying to fix it.

My HR-S5912U is starting to show the same symptoms of a bad belt that changes the gear from regular playback to regular (non search) FF and rewind. I’m using it as is.

My HR-S2912U is still working like a brand new machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page