VCR Yellow Video (composite) ouput lack of. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-06-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VCR Yellow Video (composite) ouput lack of.

I've tried Google to no avail... I have various VCRs, but a few of them have NO yellow (composite) video outputs, just red and white audio outs. I'm trying to connect a video capture connector to it so that I can convert VHS to digital. Firstly, WHY is there none? Secondly, is there any way round it?
Thanks to whoever can solve this for me.
*Diamond VC 500 capture hardware Y-W-R connectors.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-06-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillage Griffiths View Post
I've tried Google to no avail... I have various VCRs, but a few of them have NO yellow (composite) video outputs, just red and white audio outs. I'm trying to connect a video capture connector to it so that I can convert VHS to digital. Firstly, WHY is there none? Secondly, is there any way round it?
Thanks to whoever can solve this for me.
*Diamond VC 500 capture hardware Y-W-R connectors.*
Forgot to mention, I'm in the UK, PAL VHS. Thanks.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-07-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I've never seen nor heard of an NTSC VHS VCR lacking the yellow composite output connector but maybe it's possible in the UK to have only SCART and L&R audio? If so you can purchase a simple SCART to composite/S-video converter for around $5, in the US anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have seen several VCRs with only SCART and no CVBS (Yellow Composite) output.

I don't know the entire history, but in the 1970s when SCART became the "standard" it seemed manufacturers were highly discouraged from having breakout connectors like RCA / Phono (Cinch) connectors for video. Possibly to save costs.. extra connectors cost extra money.. and the connections were all available from the SCART connectors.

The SCART connectors were labeled EXT and TV, the EXT SCART generally had the Inputs for CVBS and RGB, and depending on the device had a Composite or RGB "mode". Some had an external switch to change between the modes, others had to be changed using the remote from an on screen menu.

However, audio (red and white RCA / Phono 'Cinch' ) connectors were not uncommon.

If there were an exception it was on the F-1 (Front Panel Input-1) connectors, they sometimes had a Yellow RCA / Phono (Cinch) connector.. and in Britain or the UK, they might have an S-Video Input as well.

With respect to the 'Outputs' those were pulled from the SCART 'TV' connector using an SCART to CVBS / S-Video / Red and White audio connector adapter, or breakout box.

The adapters are commonly found online from Amazon or eBay or Hama .. but they are getting more rare.

The adoption of HDMI even in Europe and the UK has left no need for SCART.

The SCART adapters are entirely passive and simply breakout the proper pins from the SCART connector into the familiar Yellow Red and White connectors your looking for. Quality varies and there aren't really any brand names to recommend these days since you try to use whatever you can find, they are getting rare.

Hand made, or self-made adapters are possible but such a pain to make, everyone tries to buy them pre-made.

There are also some SCART to Phono cables with RCA / Phono 'Cinch' connectors on the ends.. usually male.

Last edited by jwillis84; 11-08-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
pal , vcr , vhs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page