want Windows software for Panasonic DMR-EH55 media - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jwillis84
  • 2 Post By Kelson
  • 2 Post By jwillis84

post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
want Windows software for Panasonic DMR-EH55 media

Has anyone had successful or unsuccessful experiences, trying to get a Windows PC to do anything with a HDD or DVD-RAM from a Panasonic machine? Or to format a DVD-RAM so that the Panasonic machine can use it (?) I have several DMR-EH55 machines. I would like to know if this can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yes

The project got done about half way through 2019. All known Panasonic DVD HDD recorders drives can now be read in a windows, linux or osx PC by IsoBuster Pro 4.4 and above.

The Isobuster copy feature requires a license. The Demo will let you verify the recordings are visible within the program before getting a license.

You cannot and should not attempt to write to the drive while its connected to a PC, do not allow Windows to "Initialize" the drive. Isobuster does not need the drive to be initialized by Windows in order to work.
pdreyfuss likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreyfuss View Post
Has anyone had successful or unsuccessful experiences, trying to get a Windows PC to do anything with a HDD or DVD-RAM from a Panasonic machine?
As far as DVD-RAM is concerned, most DVD or BD drives of the last 5-7 yr will read DVD-RAM disks. The software Video ReDo will read the video files on a DVD-RAM made by a Panasonic DVD recorder; you can edit them and save them to any number of standard video containers. I had an EH85 and have a pile of DVD-RAMs containing family video VHS transfers. I've used Video ReDo extensively on these disks so I know first-hand that it works well.
pdreyfuss and jwillis84 like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
write back

Thanks. Is there any way to write back to the Panasonic machine - either to its HDD or DVD-RAM? Peter from IsoBuster says not any way that he knows of.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2019, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdreyfuss View Post
Thanks. Is there any way to write back to the Panasonic machine - either to its HDD or DVD-RAM? Peter from IsoBuster says not any way that he knows of.
Not exactly.. well that Peter knows about for the moment.

Previously the Panasonics above a specific model number would require a complete format and firmware initialization to enable the use of a new hard drive, if replacing an old drive.

If the replaced drive had videos on it and you replaced it, (for example intending to archive the hard drive and swapping it back in later.. as if it were a VHS tape itself..) this was not possible. The recorder maintained a change log which moved on and left the old drive behind and would not allow it to play if reinstalled. This has changed. It is now possible to do this.

During testing a method was found and described in these forums that (did) allow you to do that. So its now possible to treat HDD as VHS tapes.

But writing [new] material to the drive, or uploading by-passing the normal digitizer (No) or at least on all models. Some models (do) allow you to upload various .mp4 or divx or a limited number of specific video formats.. but they are not kept in the same area of the hard disks and are treated as a different form of media.

True "Ripping" of a DVD for example to the hard drive, is a feature of some models and brands, but not all.. and "Ripping" at faster than real time is very rare.

I'm sorry I can't give you a simple answer.. because I know so many different answers.. to a simple question. It all depends on what you wanted to do.

I should qualify IsoBusters "mission" is to recover data, and restore (re-enable) a persons control over their data.. in cases where hardware failure removes that control. Its a "read tool" first.

However IsoBuster does have some carefully safe guarded abilities to "write" to a disk if you flip all the locks and check all the boxes.. but its tightly controlled to prevent further damaging hard drives that may already be compromised.

But for now.. no attempts have been made to "enable" a two-way flow of video to and from the hard disk. For now, IsoBuster allows recovery of video from the hard disk.
pdreyfuss and CitiBear like this.

Last edited by jwillis84; 12-03-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)