LG stops making DVD drives and players ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
LG stops making DVD drives and players ?

This isn't confirmed.

But apparently LG is no longer going to be making Bluray or DVD players.

If you collect or have DVD or Bluray media, now would be a good time to shop around for bargains and stock up on standalone players or PC burners new.. before we are down to one vendor.

People with a library of DVD or BD media might want to consider one of those 12 TB hard drives (2500 DVDs or 480 BD).

Then duplicate that one hdd to another.

Last edited by jwillis84; 12-05-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Just because they may stop making consumer level players doesn't mean they are going to stop making the component hardware. As you say, nothing confirmed.

Other companies are also getting out of the consumer player market. The technology has become commodity and the chinese bottom-feeders are taking over.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm sure drives will be around for some time. We're still able to get Beta, Umatic, 1" C-Type, DVCAM and many other obsolete player for archiving. Many of these players are 30-40+ years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjfalls View Post
I'm sure drives will be around for some time. We're still able to get Beta, Umatic, 1" C-Type, DVCAM and many other obsolete player for archiving. Many of these players are 30-40+ years old.
You can still purchase new Beta and Umatic players I know you can't purchase the most popular format, VHS, at least not just a VHS player/recorder. You might be able to purchase a crap old-stock Chinese combo but I don't believe so.
No quality DVD players haven't been available for a while, Sony who made most of the players I had, hasn't made a decent DVD only player for several(5??) years, all they make is the crap little 500 model I would be hard-pressed to use. Not sure if Pioneers are still made but if so they may be the only decent players left.
No I stocked up several years back with decent DVD and BD players it's pretty dire the current crop of players, like towards the end of VHS the only thing left is mostly crap
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 05:47 PM

I bought my Panasonic BD player in Jan 2012 because it was the last model they made that did not have Cinavia. It still works and plays all the BD's I have put in it. However, I use it very little since I rip all my BD to my server for streaming. These days the only time I use my BD player is to play a TV series BD so I can note the run times of each episode so I know which is which when I rip them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
.... These days the only time I use my BD player is to play a TV series BD so I can note the run times of each episode so I know which is which when I rip them.
Does your BD player display remaining time? to me the most useful display on a DVD/BD player but I never found a BD player that included that very useful display, which is the main reason I stuck with DVD players to play my DVDs instead of the more compatible BD players. Actually thinking about it more I believe my first BD player(an Oppo BDP80??) may have had time remaining but at the time I didn't realize how rare the feature was and after a day I ended up returning it on Amazon. The Oppo also had a cool(somewhat secret) feature where it would take you to the top menu on DVDs right away, even if the disc normally wouldn't allow it(P-UOPS), I've never seen that on any other DVD player. In hindsight, I should have probably kept the Oppo but at the time it was I believe $300 and I ended up with a $150 Panasonic that while lacking remaining time did have total title time, similar to streaming services. My Panasonic BD player also lacks Cinivision as well as having component output and the rarest of all features in a BD player.......S-video I believe it was only the first couple of years of BD players that included the now-defunct S-video output, now component is basically defunct too

Last edited by jjeff; 12-05-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Does your BD player display remaining time?
No, not remaining time. The info bar displays a slider that shows elapsed time and at the far right, the total time. If I want remaining time I would need to do a mental subtraction. For my purposes, total time is all important. That way I can make a list of episode total time vs. ep#. That allows me to identify the episodes when I open the disk with MakeMKV which shows the total time of the titles on the disk. I can then rip them to the server.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page