Panasonic DMR-EH75V Hard Drive Replacement With A Higher Power Draw - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwillis84

post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic DMR-EH75V Hard Drive Replacement With A Higher Power Draw

I purchased a WD 80GB hard drive replacement for my Panasonic DMR-EH75V with a power rating of 5VDC --- 0.80A , 12VDC --- .75A . Now, looking inside my DVR I see that the power rating for the original Samsung 80GB hard drive that came with the DVR is 5VDC --- 0.6A, 12 VDC --- 0.5A .

I tried to find out the Panasonic DMR-EH75V DVR hard drive power rating requirements. I tried google and looked online for my DVR's operating and service manuals. I could only find out that DVR has a power supply of 34 watts.

I was hoping that I could find out if the DVR's 34 watts power supply would be enough to handle the extra 5VDC --- 0.2A, 12 VDC --- 0.25A power draw that the WD 80GB would introduce that is higher than the power draw of the original Samsung 80GB hard drive.

Now I am not sure if the WD 80GB hard drive should be installed to replace the Samsung 80GB hard drive because of the higher power draw current.

I don't want to risk replacing a higher current power draw hard drive that may damage my DVR's power supply and/or other DVR board components.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 65
The higher draw is a concern. The power supplies are old now and while they had head room, it wasn't much brand new. That will be less now. Also the higher current will generate more heat.

If you can't find a small lower current draw drive.. you might think going with a Marvell ide to sata adapter and then a $19 for 120 GB M.2 sata SSD with an aluminum bracket to mount the M.2 on first a 2.5 and then 2.5 to 3.5 converter so you end up with a brand new laptop M.2 SSD to replace the HDD.

The TLC NAND chips would need to be "sata" not "NVM pci express" but the smallest you'll be able to find will be 120 GB

An old laptop sata 2.5 SSD or new 2.5 IDE can still be bought off Amazon but then you would need to adapt that with a cable or mounting adapter.. better to move up in technology to something from 2016 than something from 2009. Also M.2 is easier to find than smaller SSDs these days most SSD start at 1000 GB or 1 TB minimum. They just don't make them that small anymore.

Wear leveling is handled on the M.2 itself these days so there would be no TRIM concerns.

You should get 3 years minimum use out of the SSD. But as long as 8 years since the usage pattern will be different from a normal laptop use to chatty web browser traffic. More likely 8 years except where TVGuide data were concerned. But there is no TVGuide data signal left to use the drive.

Unlike a typical laptop hard drive, the SSD only wears when written to, with a fresh new recording, reads are non destructive.. timeshifting being what it is.. most playbacks will be wear free. So SSD for a DVR makes perfect sense.

I put a M.2 sata SSD in a Pioneer DVR-810H Tivo just this week to replace a Maxtor 3.5 IDE drive, not for speed but because I could not reliably find a new drive from that era that didn't have multiple SMART errors predicting failure. It worked fine.

It will be interesting to check up on its usage pattern over the next year.. but starting out the internal wear clock specified failure in 2028. Nineteen dollars over 8 years for a brand like Kingston.. not bad.

Bonus is two fold. First the adapter and bracket only need to be bought one time. Second the spring loaded chip drive form factor can be used to eject the drive and put in a PC to copy recordings off using Isobuster 4.5

Thin LPC ribbon cables which can bring the four wire sata connection outside the case by wiggling between the cover and the chassis are also very easy if you prefer a super slim external bracket to access the chip drive. Its not like the old days when you had to use big bulky HDD docks. Then either the spring loaded M.2 chip can be used to quickly eject the drive.. or a 2.5 laptop drive carrier can be used to make it more of a thin hand hold grab form factor.. there is such a thing as "too small" an HDD replacement.. at 18 mm tall, the whole thing could fit very close to the top or bottom of the outside of the case.

By the way, those 2.5 to 3.5 converter brackets come in anodized black and silver aircraft aluminum (very structurally stiff). They can easily be matched to the color of the case.

I would caution you that the drive needs to be cloned from the old one to retain the boot up firmware on the original drive. Or you'll need to do the FW CDROM dance to brand a copy of it on to the new drive. Since DVD burners can fail or get dirty and balk at helping you do the FW dance.. cloning is more certain.

Time marches on, but stands still for these machines... they are "Timeless"

Icydock makes a "tool less" m.2 to 2.5 adapter which is the one I used a couple days ago, its spring loaded as well but doesn't require a screw to hold the m.2 down in the adapter (the old school traditional method). It simply clicks into place with a satisfying snap when you press it down with your thumb. A flick of your finger nail releases it and it "pops up" like Dracula from a coffin.

This "tool less" version is made of plastic mostly and has a surrounding plastic "vent cage" to both protect and cool the m.2 SSD. It might be more appropriate when mounting the frame to the outside of the case. The whole thing can be bolted to the 2.5 to 3.5 converter or left plugged into the larger frame.. so you could jerk the whole m.2 protective case out with a simple pulling motion, or flip the plastic top up and eject the m.2 chip.

The difference is using the sata connector or a B+M slot when connecting to a PC. People have their druthers and comfort level with technology. An older person might prefer a sata connection in a mobile push/pull slot. A younger person something they can stick in a m.2 USB 3.0 adapter.

I find people get defensive depending on which tech generation they grew up with, so why not be prepared for both?

All these options hover around ten dollars each.. which makes choosing one difficult, its generally based on convenience and not cost.

The USB 3.0 option would make it easy to attach to a laptop running Isobuster to extract recordings however.. no desktop form factor or chunky USB external drive enclosure to hang the sata carrier off the laptop. Much more portable especially for field work.. say sitting in a grove with your DVR watching a SpaceX liftoff and return.. lol. These DVRs have literally days worth of recording capacity.

.. speaking of Liftoffs..

Using m.2 will also be a significant weight reduction to the recorders heft.

Last edited by jwillis84; 01-09-2020 at 12:01 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 949
The wd hdd 80gb is maybe a 7200rpm unit vs. A 5400 oem samsung.

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi jwillis84,

I understand everything you posted in your reply. I like the ideas that you suggested. Especially the one to use a removable m.2 sata ssd in an external case mount having an eject function.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi MickinCT,

Yes. WD HD - WD800JB - 00FMAO - 7200 rpm. Samsung HD - SV0802N - 5400 rpm.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Intuition; 01-09-2020 at 11:05 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 PM

Another m.2 to IDE "phantom" drive.

I used a 240GB m.2 this time, it was on sale. I think its replacing a 160GB 3.5 inch IDE hard drive from 2005.

The steel frame has threaded holes for the 2.5 drive carrier case, be that the Icydock m.2 holder or a sata SSD. And threaded holes to attach the whole thing to the original 3.5 inch IDE drive frame in the chassis, reusing the same old screws from the DVR recorder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	2667406   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	2667408   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	2667410   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	2667412  
Intuition likes this.

Last edited by jwillis84; 01-10-2020 at 12:01 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2020, 04:35 PM

I wish I could find a flat ribbon sata extension cable. It would need fewer wires.

But I've only been able to find extension cables for m.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2668954  

Last edited by jwillis84; 01-12-2020 at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pardon me for the clarification, but is this saying I can make my Diga with an SSD?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouF66 View Post
Pardon me for the clarification, but is this saying I can make my Diga with an SSD?
That would be yes.. it is an option.

Depending on which model you have you may already have a sata drive, or need an ide to sata adapter.

Once it has a sata connector, there are many full size sata hard drives, or sata SSDs that can replace the hard drive that your Diga has.

The majority of the conversation however was regarding taking it a step further.

IDE hard drives got replaced by SATA hard drives and those got replaced by SATA SSD drives.

SATA SSD drives are currently widely available in many shapes and sizes.

The next step in technology goes beyond SATA SSD drives to SATA m.2 chip drives.. which are even smaller, and cheaper than SATA SSD drives.. and still larger in capacity than the original Diga hard drives.

Its simply a matter of finding all the brackets and adapters to put together to allow you to use something that costs $20 brand new to replace the old Diga hard drives.

Whether it is a good idea to go that far.. has yet to be "proved".. just because you can easily do a thing.. doesn't always mean that you should.

The reason for exploring these options is so we can keep using modern spare parts in 20 year old DVR recorders to keep them going.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Much I am familiar with, other is good review (for me). Much appreciated.

This is great. I'm going to just listen now, but I wanted to acknowledge the posts. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page