I Don't want new Audio CC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-22-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I Don't want new Audio CC

Somehow my Panasonic EH75 and/or my Samsung display UN24H4500 are coming up with an additional audio description of physical actions on the screen while I'm attempting to record a film for my personal use from a Comcast cable broadcast. I really want the option of the visual closed captioning for family members who have some hearing lost, but definitely do not need or want the now appearing audio descriptions in a film, e.g., "She now enters the room and walks to the table".

I'm guessing that I've recently inadvertently set some switch on the EH75, but it might be something in the relatively new Samsung display; however, this affect has occurred only recently, and the two components have been operating happily together so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if your extended explanation of Closed Captioning is any more than that, but it sounds like it was set in your cable box. They (the closed caption signal) do work differently on different types of hook-ups; one will be controlled by the cable box, and the other (tuned in on a TV channel) is controlled by the TV - at least in my setup with Dish satellite.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2020, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouF66 View Post
I'm not sure if your extended explanation of Closed Captioning is any more than that, but it sounds like it was set in your cable box. They (the closed caption signal) do work differently on different types of hook-ups; one will be controlled by the cable box, and the other (tuned in on a TV channel) is controlled by the TV - at least in my setup with Dish satellite.
LouF66,

Thanks for input. I think I’ve found the proiblem and solution but I’ve not fully tested it by sitting through most of a movie I’ve recorded. I googled something like audio captioning and came up with a website that discussed extra audio channeks like SAP which I’d thought was only to provide an audio Spanish track for Spanish speakers which I’m not and never attempted to implement it. I checked my Samsung display and noted SAP had not been selected in my audio options, then checked my Panasonic EH75 and found under Functions/Setup/Audio that there were two choices: Main and Secondary Audio Program (SAP), and somehow (not by me) the SAP option had been selected. I’ve changed it to Main and do a test on a known self-recording to see if that’s the solution.

Thanks.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post
Somehow my Panasonic EH75 and/or my Samsung display UN24H4500 are coming up with an additional audio description of physical actions on the screen while I'm attempting to record a film for my personal use from a Comcast cable broadcast. I really want the option of the visual closed captioning for family members who have some hearing lost, but definitely do not need or want the now appearing audio descriptions in a film, e.g., "She now enters the room and walks to the table".

I'm guessing that I've recently inadvertently set some switch on the EH75, but it might be something in the relatively new Samsung display; however, this affect has occurred only recently, and the two components have been operating happily together so far.
okay if you want audio its your choice.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

are you using Panasonic EH75?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Cloud8111,

I assume you didn’t read my later post to LouF66.

I’ll answer your question first: Yes, I’m using an EH75 Panasonic DVD recorder.

As I noted in my answer to LouF66, after doing some Google research, checking my Samsung display and verifying that the SAP option was off, I went to my EH75 and Functions/Setup/Audio and discovered under the Multi-channel TV Sound (MTS), the two choices were “Main” and SAP and somehow (one of those inexplicable electronic burps, I suppose) The SAP option had been selected. I’ve changed the selection to Main and am fairly sure that that will have solved the problem but I’ve not yet had the time to replay an entire film that I know has the “audible captioning.” When I do and can confirm the problem resolution, I’ll report it here.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2020, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If you are recording from a Comcast box to your recorder via composite or s-video with the L/R analog audio then the sap setting on your recorder should have no effect. Besides sap (as you wrote) is usually used for Secondary Audio Program usually Spanish translation in the USA.

This sounds like Video Description for the visually impaired setting is turned on your Comcast cable box

https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...-on-legacy-stb

Last edited by Super Eye; 01-26-2020 at 03:32 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2020, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Super Eye,

Thanks for the images of the two Comcast/Xfinity remotes. Although neither looked entirely like either of my two remotes, I was able to find the Audio option on the actual remote, select video description and turn it off; so, between this change and my change of the audio option on the EH75, I’m guessing that this video description event should not recur. But I’llchec it.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Jim,
any programs already recorded from the Comcast box while the Descriptive Video feature was turned on (and the program was described) will be hard coded into the recording and will have to be re-recorded with the feature turned off.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2020, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Super Eye,

Thanks for the tip. The film is scheduled to run for a couple more days and I’ll have another go at it.

Jim
post #11 of 11 Old 01-29-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
Jim,
any programs already recorded from the Comcast box while the Descriptive Video feature was turned on (and the program was described) will be hard coded into the recording and will have to be re-recorded with the feature turned off.
Super Eye,

After your response, I'd turned off the "video description" option on the Audio setup screen, confirmed that the similar setting on the setup screen on my Samsung display was off, attempted another DVD recording but the video description returned on the audio track. In desperation, I called tech support at Comcast and, and after refusing a recording advice three times to reset my STB, I hit the zero on my phone and finally got to a live tech support right person. Without having to reset (and love my program guide for the better part of a day), the tech supporter did something on his Comcast end and removed the option for "video description." I made a new recording of the program and the audible video description disappeared. The only problem (I'm sure not associated with the video description issue is that, after eight tries with randomly selected fresh DVDs which continue to copy and finalize without problems on my EH55 Panasonic DVD Recorder, the EH75 has now each time rejected the new disc as faulty at the early execution of a disk copy. I'll create a new post this question on the off chance that there's some settings adjustment I can make to get the EH75 back in disc production operation before I decide to send the EH75 east to MCKINT for repair. He did a fine job two or three years ago but I'm not sure I need the EH75 as a backup recorder, although the subtitle fonts are superior to those produced with the display and/or STB with my principal setup (venerable but still pleasing Panasonic 42" plasma in its 12th year together with the EH55).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
audio track , closed captioning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page