New Samsung not compatible with 515? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By krazykanuck

post #1 of 12 Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Samsung not compatible with 515?

I just bought a new Samsung tv. its this model here 55" Class NU6900 Smart 4K UHD TV (2018). Anyways I noticed that the tv has no rca inputs. Is there anyway I can still hook up my Magnavox 515 to this tv? I am guessing I would need some sort of rca to HDMI cable? If this is possible can someone explain how exactly I would hook this up? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-04-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 359
No RCA inputs! not even the crappy component/composite shared analog input? If not your 515 has an HDMI output, can't you use that? They do make composite/S-video to component converters but everyone I've tried really had substandard picture quality, really only a last resort option IMO.
Personally I'd return the TV and purchase one that had at least the component/composite input but that's me, I'd at least want that flexibility but that's your call.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No RCA inputs! not even the crappy component/composite shared analog input? If not your 515 has an HDMI output, can't you use that? They do make composite/S-video to component converters but everyone I've tried really had substandard picture quality, really only a last resort option IMO.
Personally I'd return the TV and purchase one that had at least the component/composite input but that's me, I'd at least want that flexibility but that's your call.
I did look at the 515 and it does have an HDMI port. I guess I would be able to connect it this way and be able to record? I really am not sure. But as far as the TV this is what the inputs & outputs have according to book besides standard HDMI ports:

RF In(Terrestrial/Cable Input)
RF In (Satellite Input)
Digital Audio Out (Optical)
Audio Return Channel Support (via HDMI Port)

I am a noob with these wires. So I guess then no composite or component wires would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-05-2020, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You would need to say what you are trying to record, is it from an antennae? a cable box? a satellite box? With that info, some of us can guide you from there on how best connect your recorder and tv.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
You would need to say what you are trying to record, is it from an antennae? a cable box? a satellite box? With that info, some of us can guide you from there on how best connect your recorder and tv.
Sorry about that. Yes it would be a cable box. Fios.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM

Ok then,

1- Cable to fios box in RF input.
2- S-Video (or composite (yellow)) and audio (red and black) output from fios box to 515 compatible inputs.
3- One HDMI from fios box to tv.
4- One HDMI from 515 to tv.

If you want to record and watch something else simultaneously you need to connect an antennae to the tv's rf input and watch something off the tv tuner while recording from the fios box, otherwise, you can only watch what is being recorded.
jjeff likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok then,

1- Cable to fios box in RF input.
2- S-Video (or composite (yellow)) and audio (red and black) output from fios box to 515 compatible inputs.
3- One HDMI from fios box to tv.
4- One HDMI from 515 to tv.

If you want to record and watch something else simultaneously you need to connect an antennae to the tv's rf input and watch something off the tv tuner while recording from the fios box, otherwise, you can only watch what is being recorded.
I misspoke on the connections available on this tv. It seems as if there are no s video or composite connections. I will attach a pic of what is available. How would I now connect this? I know by plugging in the hdmi to tv and other end I can watch the programming already recorded on this dvd machine. but how would I start recording fresh material?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7144.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	587.2 KB
ID:	2681602  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 AM

You did not misspeak, I saw the connections on your first pics. You do not and cannot record from the tv, you can only record from your fios box outputs (or antennae). The s-video (and red and black audio cable) that I mentioned is the output from the back of the fios box that goes into the 515 s-video inputs, you view the 515 through the hdmi cable from the back of the 515 to the tv. A question, have you recorded form the fios box before or is the fios box also new equipment?

Last edited by krazykanuck; 02-07-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: question
post #9 of 12 Old 03-03-2020, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You did not misspeak, I saw the connections on your first pics. You do not and cannot record from the tv, you can only record from your fios box outputs (or antennae). The s-video (and red and black audio cable) that I mentioned is the output from the back of the fios box that goes into the 515 s-video inputs, you view the 515 through the hdmi cable from the back of the 515 to the tv. A question, have you recorded form the fios box before or is the fios box also new equipment?
I have recorded previously from the Fios box. its just the TV that is new. The RF cable goes from fios box to the dvd recorder?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2020, 09:32 AM

"The RF cable goes from fios box to the dvd recorder?" I doubt very much that the recorder will capture anything from the FIOS RF cable, most likely all encrypted like every other service provider box. Unfortunately you can only record from the FIOS box s-video or composite outputs of the box, and you can only record the channel (or the recording) being played. You will not be able to load the channels from the FIOS box to the recorder.

If you have an antennae you will connect the antennae's RF cable to the recorder which would give you at least those channels on the recorder and then you can send the RF from the FIOS box to the TV in order to pass through the antennae channels to the TV.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-04-2020, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"The RF cable goes from fios box to the dvd recorder?" I doubt very much that the recorder will capture anything from the FIOS RF cable, most likely all encrypted like every other service provider box. Unfortunately you can only record from the FIOS box s-video or composite outputs of the box, and you can only record the channel (or the recording) being played. You will not be able to load the channels from the FIOS box to the recorder.

If you have an antennae you will connect the antennae's RF cable to the recorder which would give you at least those channels on the recorder and then you can send the RF from the FIOS box to the TV in order to pass through the antennae channels to the TV.
sorry just confused to your #1 from list above.; I get the other directions but #1 you listed cable to Fios box in RF Input. what does this mean? do you want the coaxial cable to go to from tv to cable box?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-04-2020, 08:01 AM

The #1 direction is the cable from the wall to the FIOS RF input. If you have an antennae I will add #5 and #6 directions here

5- Antennae RF cable to 515 RF input.
6- 515 RF output to TV RF input.

If you have an antennae, these connections would add the over-the-air channels to the 515 available in your area and would also pass them through to the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page