Panasonic DMR-EX83EB-K U88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic DMR-EX83EB-K U88

My Panasonic DMR-EX83 stopped working last night, the DVD drive is making a clunking noise resulting in a U88 error. The machine keeps looping in some sort of test mode. Sadly I am not able to even view the recordinga off the HDD, is there anyway I can get around this, maybe disconnect the DVD drive to avoid the recovery looping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 359
It sounds like your laser has failed. In N. America we have mickinct who does a bang-up job on getting the laser repaired and any other issues fixed while he has your machine. If you are out of the country it might be expensive for you to ship your Panasonic to Mick in Connecticut USA but if all you want to do is read the info off your HDD then maybe this post will help:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...l#post58288634
The latest version of ISObuster is capable of reading Panasonics Hex HDD format, just hooking it up to a PC won't result in anything. Note if you disconnect the HDD and make any changes to it, it's possible your DVDR may want to reformat the drive so I'd strongly suggest following ISObuster's instructions to a T.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

I live in the UK so sending it away isn't really an option. I was kind of hoping to somehow disconnect the DVD Drive and have the player boot into HDD mode.

I have removed the HDD and connected it to my laptop and ISOBuster does indeed show its contents, sadly the software won't extract anything unless the software is registered. I might be tempted to purchase a key but I would like to see what I can do with the files before I spend any money. Are there any alternatives that I could even run in trial mode to extract a file to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Hello member do yourself a favor and get the isobuster program, once you extract the .vro files you can rename them as .mpeg files and they can be viewed in VLC player on your PC.

MickinCT
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Hello member do yourself a favor and get the isobuster program, once you extract the .vro files you can rename them as .mpeg files and they can be viewed in VLC player on your PC.

Thank you for your advice.

I have purchased a ISOBuster license. I extracted 1 file and that played back perfectly on my laptop I am now extracting them all.

Maybe I look at getting the recorder repaired as I use it to capture my Laserdiscs and the video quality is very good.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Your welcome mate, enjoy. and good luck.

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page