Help diagnosing old format movie player. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-22-2020, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help diagnosing old format movie player.

It seems like these topics only go as far back as DVD. There should be a category for obsolete video playing electronics.

I bought a Sony betamax SL - hfr70 after store for 40 bucks. If it was guaranteed working I buy it on the spot. The thrift store said it was as is.

looking up prices of non-working bettas of the same model the parts go for 40 bucks and that does not include thirty bucks of shipping to anywhere in the nation. so I thought to myself if I buy this and it doesn't work that at least I got enough parts to make me even.

Now doctor betamax, I want to hear the diagnosis.

the symptom is when I plug the betamax power cord into the betamax Hi-Fi processor's power in, and then the Hi-Fi processors power out in two the AC, all of the LEDs light up mostly white bluish a couple and red, anything that could be lighted is lit. But the power light on the VCR was not on, and pressing the power button didn't do anything.

then I took out the betamax Hi-Fi processor unplug the betamax straighten the power. the exact same results happened.

I was afraid to feed it a tape because I don't know what would happen to it.

First of all would putting a tape actually clear the memory and unlike all the lit LEDs and make it so that you could tell if it's working or not or is that the status of a non-working betamax.

Second I couldn't tell if any other parts work or not so I don't know if even fixing it would be worth it. not just for the price of fixing that portion of loan but whether the rest of it works or not.

So should I cash out for parts and break even or should I try to repair this?

by the way there are some data tapes I would like to have transferred to DVD are but there's two problems.

One is legacybox is unclear about what happens the copyrighted material that gets in their hands. I looked through the whole agreements and it's silent. so I can't tell whether they could do whatever they want or whether they're hush-hush saying we could copy those just don't make a sound.

The second is Legacy box is kind of expensive.

Also I wouldn't mind buying a beta transferring the media and then selling it back. so I know I can buy a VCR temporarily use it and sell it before anything breaks and get at least my money back and get the job done for free, and not have to worry about Legacy boxes legalisms, about copyrighted material.

any suggestions other than going to an eBay seller who says guaranteed against Dead on arrival?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page