Revisting the DVD burner in an SD/USB chip device - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Revisting the DVD burner in an SD/USB chip device

This is (way) premature information.

But with the passing of the pioneerinfo pages.. I wanted to put up something hopeful for DVR and DVR+HDD users.

There is a person working on a Retro-Arcade project who has made a limited run of IDE to SD + USB port CD/DVD Simulators.

They are not cheap at this time, but they allow you to place a file on the SD card, or on an external USB flash drive or hard drive in the .iso format.

This guy is very very smart, and I suggested changing the firmware to appear as a DVD burner and saving the results to a file on the same media.

Its a hobby for him and he has no incentive to follow up on this.. but he seemed to think it would not be that hard.. he only needed to add some responses to some SCSI commands across the IDE bus.. and find a way of indicating to the device what type of burnable media it was simulating.

I haven't heard back from him in about a month.. so I have no idea if he has made progress.. or if he ever will make progress.

But its a real thing.. and for the purpose it was designed.. to support retro Arcade games in proprietary hardware.. it does work. People have them and have been using them.

Some medical equipment makers and scientific instrument makers have shown interest too.. that may complicate things.. since they could drag priorities off course or lock things up in patents.. ect..

But I'm saying there is still a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page