Cheaper Component to S-Video Converter - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 694 Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Since you already have a quality Component>S-video converter I can see the desire to purchase a quality HDMI>Component converter.
For me(to convert from HDMI to S-video) I 'd need to spend >$200 for a quality Component>S-video converter and on top of that add $180-$250 for a HDFury HDMI>Component converter, $400+ is probably more than I'd want to spend to close this damn analog hole.
That $58 Amazon HDMI directly to S-video converter sure sounds tempting(if it does what it's supposed to) and I'm not even worried if it does or doesn't remove CP, I've always got my Sima if I need that
I guess if it doesn't live up to expectations Amazon is generally a safe place to buy and return. I don't know, I'll have to thing about more.
Thanks to SuperEye for the Amazon link

jjeff,your right about me wanting a quality converter $179.00 everything inc.+ free shipping!I can understand why you would be hesitant to put that much $$$$ out if the problem can be solved more frugally.That's always best,if it's possible! I thought you had a MP Comp.>svid. converter. Good luck with the Amazon converter! G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 694 Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You're welcome jjeff.
BTW, the Amazon product description claims that you don't need a CP filter.

Quote:
Product Description
HDCP Content Protection compliant (Pass signal with HDCP downgrade)

HDCP encrypted HDMI can legally be converted to analog composite / S-Video AV because resolution will be at 480i.

Does this really mean that you don’t need a CP filter when using this device?
Is it true that HDCP encrypted HDMI can legally be converted to analog composite / S-Video?
post #273 of 694 Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Did some searching & found this. First it states you can record from it, but then has some warnings that you cannot, which I presume applies only to copyright material as further explained. I noticed it had LKV in the item number, which is what Lenkeng uses.
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-svideo-converter.html

Did a search for LKV381 and up comes Lenkeng.
http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/...converter.html

Since the Amazon & eBay products look like the Lenkeng, I suspect they are. I don't think too many manufacturers would make converters that all look the same. Can anyone who has a Lenkeng component to s-video converter tell if the box in the eBay photo is Lenkeng packaging?

Buying from Amazon is probably the safest way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 694 Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Did some searching & found this. First it states you can record from it, but then has some warnings that you cannot, which I presume applies only to copyright material as further explained. I noticed it had LKV in the item number, which is what Lenkeng uses.
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-svideo-converter.html

Did a search for LKV381 and up comes Lenkeng.
http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/...converter.html

Since the Amazon & eBay products look like the Lenkeng, I suspect they are. I don’t think too many manufacturers would make converters that all look the same. Can anyone who has a Lenkeng component to s-video converter tell if the box in the eBay photo is Lenkeng packaging?

Buying from Amazon is probably the safest way to go.

I own a Lenkeng Comp.>svideo converter (doesn't work properly) and to me the converter shown on ebay has a slightly diff.look but,if you scroll down about a third of the way,on the right side,you'll see a "1080p VGA>HDMI converter PC>TV" and below that a "YP BP R-5 RCA>HDMI converter",those look EXACTLY like Lenkeng products.Same shape/design, and all unusually cheap (the hallmark of Lenkeng products). I also see that they are all being sold by the same reseller,so i would strongly suspect that the item shown is probably a Lenkeng too,just a slightly diff. case design.Just a guess though,i could be wrong.But "LKV"is always Lenkeng. IIRC,the one shown on ebay has the initials "LK",might just be a variation of "LKV"(jjeff commented on this point last eve.) just to "throw off" customers who might be suspicious.lolol G.
post #275 of 694 Old 01-18-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

jjeff, I thought you had a MP Comp.>svid. converter. Good luck with the Amazon converter! G.

I did have the MP(Lenkeng) component to S-video converter briefly. I didn't care for it's picture quality so I took advantage of MPs nice return policy and promptly returned it.
More than likely I'd probably not be happy with the picture quality of their HDMI to S-video converter but like the component to S-video converter, the price is sure great
I'm a believer in the old adage, you get what you pay for but I keep trying to prove it wrong
post #276 of 694 Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=jjeff;
I'm a believer in the old adage, [I]you get what you pay for but I keep trying to prove it wrong;

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
I,m a little leary of HDMI>composite/svideo. Until yesterday i didn't even know it was possible to convert.I have concerns about the quality of the conversion process. OTOH, HDMI>Component conversion is pretty well known. There isn't really any reason to rush into buying anything right away,there's time to shop around for the best device to fit your needs.

The only reason i jumped on to the HDFury so fast is cuz i can't seem to find anymore U.S. resellers,(and cuz i was outbid on 2 diff.units on ebay!)There are some foreign sellers but the $$ is higher than here.The best place to get one is from www.hdfury.com and they are the cheapest price($179.00) iv'e seen yet (with power supply inc.) on the net. I read several user reviews at MP website that the MP version didn't inc. a power supply.The buyers were less than pleased about that.After going to RS for a power supply,they were very happy with PQ. G.
post #277 of 694 Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If someone wanted to order the actual Lenkeng version, how would you go about doing that?

I sent them an e-mail, but got no reply.
post #278 of 694 Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I ordered my component>S-Video converter directly from Lenkeng, it came from China, and took a couple of weeks. If I'd wanted to return it, who knows if I could have? I ordered it from a link posted in this forum somewhere.

Besides my Lenkeng and Monoprice converters, I have an eBay Audio Authority converter, with component pass-through. As I've said earlier, it does have a better picture. I just replaced the bulb in my DLP TV, so it looks like new again, and the better PQ is even more evident. But, it has some problems.

I have a Comcast Moto DVR. If I output a SD channel over 720p (my TV's native resolution,) the resultant picture is pictire-boxed, and can't be zoomed to properly fill the screen. the AA converter does pass 480p, and that works fine for SD channels showing a 4x3 film. But, with a SD channel showing a letterboxed film, the AA converter has a hard time locking on the image, and centering it top-to-bottom, There are various ways to trick it into locking on correctly. They can be a PITA, but they are doable.

However, when you have a LB 4x3 image, and small, rolling credits on a black background, it loses its lock, rolls, goes black, just freaks out in general, and I have found no work-around. I will be using the LK converter on such films in the future, or perhaps I'll use it just for the credits, and tack those on.
post #279 of 694 Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

If someone wanted to order the actual Lenkeng version, how would you go about doing that?

I sent them an e-mail, but got no reply.

Monoprice still has those converters in stock.Product#7114,cost $43.20. They are Lenkeng converters. G.
post #280 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just an FYI -
Going back to message #70, lenkeng-jane was on this forum. I had a couple email addresses for Lenkeng back then and did try to contact them. They replied only to the first email & the response did not make sense because it was something about purchasing in quantities. I emailed back & never heard from them. I also tried the 2nd email address & never got not response.
post #281 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 AM

Liked: 10
As DVI and HDMI connections become more and more widely used, we are often asked: which is better, DVI (or HDMI) or component video? The answer, as it happens, is not cut-and-dried.
If anyone has any other ideas or info on if it's possible to easily convert component to s-video, I'd like to hear them.
post #282 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

For anybody that might be interested,i just got my converter this morning and all i got to say is WOW,this little bugger really,really works! I hooked it up to my Sat.recvr HDMI output,ran the signal thru my Atlona Component>s-video converter>my Philips '76 DVDR(s-video) and VIOLA,beautiful pic. excellent PQ. The pic. was bright,the colors were crisp,not washed out looking.I compared the converted video to the Comp.HD passthru and found only the slightest signal degradation,and i had to look real,real hard to see that,and i only saw it when i was viewing very small lettering. The lettering thru the converted(s-video)signal looked SLIGHTLY fuzzy compared to the signal thru the HD passthru of my Atlona converter. But i couldn't see any diff. when looking at the pic. itself.

I found that the HDFury2 will not work if you're using an HDMI cable with ferrite cores on the cable. I had to switch cables cuz most of mine have the ferrite cores on both ends. I only have one old (2006)non-ferrite core laden HDMI cable and it worked flawlessly.

When i was done viewing the signal from my Sat.recvr,i hooked it up to my LG-DR787T DVDR's HDMI output and ran that signal thru my Atlona converters s-video out>Philips'76 DVDR and recorded 10 min.of Disneys new re-release of FANTASIA to the HDD of the DVDR,then i was able to burn it to a +RW disc cuz i didn't want to waste a +/-R disc. G.
post #283 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Sounds like the old saying, you get what you pay for has been proven correct again
post #284 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=kjbawc; But, with a SD channel showing a letterboxed film, the AA converter has a hard time locking on the image, and centering it top-to-bottom, There are various ways to trick it into locking on correctly. They can be a PITA, but they are doable.

However, when you have a LB 4x3 image, and small, rolling credits on a black background, it loses its lock, rolls, goes black, just freaks out in general, and I have found no work-around. I will be using the LK converter on such films in the future, or perhaps I'll use it just for the credits, and tack those on. :

kjbawc,is it just possible that your AA converter may be malfunctioning? Maybe you should give AA a call,tell them what your seeing,then they could tell you if it's working right. The reason i am asking is cuz my Atlona converter doesn't do anything like what you're experiencing.it just could be that that's the reason the seller only wanted $80.00 for a $300.00+ converter. I dunno,just wondering. G.
post #285 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Sounds like the old saying, you get what you pay for has been proven correct again

You're right jjeff. It's extremely rare for low price AND quality to meet together in one product, it's usually one OR the other,not both,and when you do run across it,you grab it right away. To bad the HDFury costs so much,but then again quality is what i'm paying for,and of course the ability to create an analog hole in a digital stream! VERY valuable!! G.
post #286 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Greaser, do you happen to have a HD DVD or Bluray player? If so could you test something for me?
On those players (or really any upconverting player I guess), they can NOT output more than a 480P signal via component USING a commercial DVD.

Can you (if you have one of those players, a commercial DVD, and a tv that will show the input resolution), test the HDFURY and see if the component output of the Hdfury is outputting a higher resolution than 480P under those conditions.
Ie.
a. HDMI out from bluray - Hdfury - component in to tv.
b. Bluray or HD DVD or upconverting player
c. commercial DVD - not bluray or HD DVD
d. verify the input resolution to the tv?

I just confirmed my Bluray player will not output a commercial dvd disc over 480P using the component out of the player - it will do 1080i using a bluray disc.

thanks,
Jeff
post #287 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

Greaser, do you happen to have a HD DVD or Bluray player? If so could you test something for me?
On those players (or really any upconverting player I guess), they can NOT output more than a 480P signal via component USING a commercial DVD.

Can you (if you have one of those players, a commercial DVD, and a tv that will show the input resolution), test the HDFURY and see if the component output of the Hdfury is outputting a higher resolution than 480P under those conditions.
Ie.
a. HDMI out from bluray - Hdfury - component in to tv.
b. Bluray or HD DVD or upconverting player
c. commercial DVD - not bluray or HD DVD
d. verify the input resolution to the tv?

I just confirmed my Bluray player will not output a commercial dvd disc over 480P using the component out of the player - it will do 1080i using a bluray disc.

thanks,
Jeff

Paco,i don't have a BR or HD DVD player. I just got this l'll gem this morning and haven't had time to do anything except to make sure the unit works(for my basic wants). I need time to "take it for a spin around the block" and see what it can do.I can probably partially answer your questions better later on. I do have several upconverting DVDR's,(my players are old and don't upconvert) and my Sat.recvr.(VIP 211K). My tv will show me the incoming resolution up to 1080i. I'll find out more thru the week and this weekend and report on what i find. My guess is that whatever resolution is on the HDMI output is also what the Component out from HDFURY will be,cuz remember, this unit was specifically made for older non-HDMI HD tv's,and people with a broken HDMI input, so it must necessarily output whatever resolution is being output over HDMI,otherwise it would be called the SDFury, not the HDFury. G.
post #288 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

That is what I am suspecting also.
I just picked up the Hauppauge (sp?) HD DVR. I need to play with it a bit, but I have heard (will verify) that it will capture bluray up to 1080i via component.

I probably shouldn't have wasted the money on it, since you can purchase a bunch of discs for the $200 it costs.
post #289 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Oh this thing is really made for getting the HD off of your DVR's, not sure if you looked into it at all yet.
post #290 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Oh and thanks
post #291 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh this thing is really made for getting the HD off of your DVR's, not sure if you looked into it at all yet.

Where did you read that? I don't think that's right. The stated manufacturers reason for use is for older non-HDMI,non-HDCP compliant tv's. It's also good for people with a broken HDMI input. Even if you could get the HD off of a DVR,where ya gonna put it? I mean what are you gonna record it to? In HD? Not to disc that's for sure,unless you have a computer with all the software and a BR burner and whatever all it takes to do that.

Specs. say the HDFury is good from 480i to 1080p G.
post #292 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

kjbawc,is it just possible that your AA converter may be malfunctioning? Maybe you should give AA a call,tell them what your seeing,then they could tell you if it's working right. The reason i am asking is cuz my Atlona converter doesn't do anything like what you're experiencing. it just could be that that's the reason the seller only wanted $80.00 for a $300.00+ converter. I dunno,just wondering. G.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess I could give AA a call. Since it works well for most things, and I don't want to be without it while it was being repaired, I wasn't thinking of asking about repairs. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Perhaps they could give me some way to deal with it.

If you get The Sundance Channel. and they rerun any of the Red Riding series, check to see what the end credits look like through your Atlona. That's what my AA converter couldn't deal with. They would show for a while, then cut in and out. Those credits are unusually small white print, on a black background.
post #293 of 694 Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the confusion, not the HDfury but rather the Happauge HD PVR is to get HD off of your dvr - it does take a computer.
post #294 of 694 Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=kjbawc;
If you get The Sundance Channel and they rerun any of the Red Riding series, check to see what the end credits look like through your Atlona. That's what my AA converter couldn't deal with. They would show for a while, then cut in and out. Those credits are unusually small white print, on a black background.

kjbawc,sorry can't help ya there. 6-8 mos.ago i dropped all premium channels to save $$$ and Sundance was one of those to go. If your converter is malfunctioning then it will malfunction on many channels. If you can pick a(non-premium)channel/program then i will be happy to check it out with my converter. I still have most of the HD channels,just not the premiums. I'm one step below the "Americas Everything"package(which i used to have) on Dish network. G.
post #295 of 694 Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Greaser, the Happauge HD PVR actually works. Requires a computer to record with, but a WD Live will play back - if recording to a usb drive.

Now the only thing left would be the HDfury - if they shut off component out. I hate the thought of shelling out another $200-250 though!
post #296 of 694 Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

pacofortacos Now the only thing left would be the HDfury - if they shut off component out. I hate the thought of shelling out another $200-250 though!

Paco, I don't know how long it will be until (SOC) "selective output control" will be initiated,but i don't "think' it will be to much longer.Maybe another year? Eventually they'll get rid of analog outputs altogether. The reason i bought the HDFury now is cuz they "seem" to be disappearing from the american market. From what i read on a link provided by someone earlier in this thread,there was a Dec.15 cutoff date for this product to be sold in the US and Canada. MP had them listed for approx. 4 days,then they disappeared from their website.Dunno why.Sold out? told to remove them?Dunno.I checked every site i could think of or google and every single site had notices saying "unavailable" and "sold out".None of these sites could say when or if they would be available again. The only websites where i could still find them were European sites and they were selling them above the manufactures price. So,being an old Boy Scout,i followed the Boy Scout motto: BE PREPARED! and i prepared myself.

The HDFury2 won't cost ya 250.00 though, "only" $179.00 w/free shipping,but that incl. the power supply too.
The HDFury can still be had at www.hdfury.com from Taiwan,but i don't know how much longer we'll be able to buy them here in the US/Can. I have read that they're running into legal problems. If they and other converters like them disappear then there will be more than a few disappointed people. So that's why i bought one now.While the gettin's still good. G.
post #297 of 694 Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

I was debating between the HDfury 2 and 3, wonder if they will disable the HDCP chip code in it?

The 3 seems to have some nice features, but not sure if I really need them.
post #298 of 694 Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was debating between the HDfury 2 and 3, wonder if they will disable the HDCP chip code in it?

The 3 seems to have some nice features, but not sure if I really need them.

Hey paco, i had the same debate with myself too. Should i buy #2 or #3. After reading the comparison chart between the two for the umpteenth time i decided on #2 cuz it does everything i need it to do and it costs 70 bucks less.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that they won't be disabling HDCP anytime soon. That would be a really stupid thing to do,cuz the manufacturer wouldn't be able to claim a legitimate use for it(which it does have now) anymore and probably for other reasons too. G.
post #299 of 694 Old 01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

I sprung for the 3, alot of money just to record - but I work hard and deserve a toy here n there.
Putting SD on DVD is alright, but I much more enjoy the HD. I'm not a HD snob though, I can live with 720P or 1080i HD - doesn't have to be the 1080P/24 LOL

I will have to check out the movie Cars in 1080i vs the full 1080P HD - it does look awesome in bluray! I am curious if there is that much of a difference.
post #300 of 694 Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

This weekend i'm going to take my converter for a spin around the block,see what it can do(iv'e pretty much done that already) with all aspect ratios,resolutions,more time on my Sat.recvr.and all my DVDR's. and anything else i can think of to do with it.Both of my players are to old(2004) for HDMI. If everything is according to Hoyle then i'll repackage it and put it away for future use.No reason to use it now,heck i might break it or something! G.

PS: You'll notice that the shipper is DHL...don't expect to much from them. I was to have express shipping 3-5 day delivery world-wide.It didn't happen. Took DHL 8 days.Got stuck for about 2 1/2 days 90 miles away in Miami WTF!?. Also,US Customs in San Francisco may hold it up for a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page