Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 4792 Old 02-18-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It's not perfect, but yeah, it's definitely the best ATSC-tunered HDD model you're gonna find right now. Pretty slim pickins'.

Supposedly, Polaroid has a model with TVGOS that's due out sometime in the future, but I don't expect too much there, being a Polaroid and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 4792 Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Supposedly, Polaroid has a model with TVGOS that's due out sometime in the future, but I don't expect too much there, being a Polaroid and all.

And how much longer will TVGOS be available with analog OTH TV going out soon?
post #3303 of 4792 Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM

TVGOS has been in the process of switching over to digital for awhile now. That's how the guide will work, I'd presume. Otherwise, why release it? I don't think even Polaroid is that stupid. Everyone else stopped making recorders with the analog-based TVGOS long ago.

Actually, I think they did specifically mention that is was the newer, digital-based service in the article I read. I just don't remember where I saw it. I think there was a link to it here on this forum somewhere, and that's how I found out about the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 4792 Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

TVGOS has been in the process of switching over to digital for awhile now. That's how the guide will work, I'd presume. Otherwise, why release it? I don't think even Polaroid is that stupid. Everyone else stopped making recorders with the analog-based TVGOS long ago.

Actually, I think they did specifically mention that is was the newer, digital-based service in the article I read. I just don't remember where I saw it. I think there was a link to it here on this forum somewhere, and that's how I found out about the unit.

The link was over on the Polo digital recorder thread. It looks like it will be an internet TV guide type feature since the machine will also act like a slingbox as well as able to D/L to an ipod. If it lives up to all its hype, it would be an excellent machine.
post #3305 of 4792 Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM

I received my 3757 yesterday from the Philips online store (January version). This morning I recorded a program for 2 hours and 10 minutes on SPP on the HDD. I then dubbed it on high to a DVD+RW which plays back on the 3757 and another DVD player.

I normally import the video from DVDs into Ulead MovieFactory but this RW caused it to hang. When I looked at the properties of the VIDEO_TS folder it said that it contained 6.69 GB (yes, I know this is impossible). I transferred the VIDEO_TS folder to my computer it contains 6.69 GB. There are two sets of identical VOB files (VOB_01_1.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_2.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_3.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_4.VOB (354 MB), VOB_02_1.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_02_2.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_02_3.VOB (.99 GB) and VOB_02_4.VOB (354 MB). VOB_01_1.VOB is identical to VOB_02.1.VOB, etc.

I have two questions. Did I miss a step in the dubbing process that caused duplication of the files? Has anybody else been able to import video recorded on the 3575 into Ulead MovieFactory?
post #3306 of 4792 Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
2 hr 10 min of SP-mode will fit on a disc with high-speed dub (HSD).

Other HSD times for all rec modes are listed here.
post #3307 of 4792 Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafla View Post

I normally import the video from DVDs into Ulead MovieFactory but this RW caused it to hang. When I looked at the properties of the VIDEO_TS folder it said that it contained 6.69 GB (yes, I know this is impossible). I transferred the VIDEO_TS folder to my computer it contains 6.69 GB. There are two sets of identical VOB files (VOB_01_1.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_2.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_3.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_01_4.VOB (354 MB), VOB_02_1.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_02_2.VOB (.99 GB), VOB_02_3.VOB (.99 GB) and VOB_02_4.VOB (354 MB). VOB_01_1.VOB is identical to VOB_02.1.VOB, etc.

I have two questions. Did I miss a step in the dubbing process that caused duplication of the files? Has anybody else been able to import video recorded on the 3575 into Ulead MovieFactory?

That actually looks normal, and isn't/shouldn't be the result of recording with the 3575. Looking at the file folders of a disc I made yesterday on the pc, the results are the same. Duplicate files just as you've listed.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3308 of 4792 Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

lafla: I have seen this problem happen frequently. It's nothing to do with the 3575 specifically, but rather with the fact that there are two separate file systems on a DVD+VR, the ISO file system and the UDF file system. For some reason Windows can get into a mode where it sees both at the same time and merges them, causing every file to appear twice. Over time I've seen my system get into that mode, out of it, and into it again as I've installed, updated, and uninstalled various apps. There's so much junk in the DVD driver chain on my system (some of undoubtedly trying to hide intentionally) that I doubt I'll ever sort that out.
post #3309 of 4792 Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 AM

I read in the sticky that the 3575 will amplify the incoming signal if it's first in the COAX line, i.e., cable-in > 3575 > STB. I currently have the STB first in line, with a composite-in to the 3575, and component-out to the TV. When the 3575 is turned on, and selected as the source (E1), my SD picture quality is better than it is directly from the STB. My question is this: Am I experiencing the same "amplification" phenomenon as if the 3575 were first in line? If so, I'm wondering whether it's worth re-wiring my system, or rather just watching SD channels through the 3575 (turned on, of course)?

In other words, is the only advantage to the "first-in-line" approach that the 3575 doesn't need to be "on"?
post #3310 of 4792 Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel711 View Post

I read in the sticky that the 3575 will amplify the incoming signal if it's first in the COAX line, i.e., cable-in > 3575 > STB. I currently have the STB first in line, with a composite-in to the 3575, and component-out to the TV. When the 3575 is turned on, and selected as the source (E1), my SD picture quality is better than it is directly from the STB. My question is this: Am I experiencing the same "amplification" phenomenon as if the 3575 were first in line? If so, I'm wondering whether it's worth re-wiring my system, or rather just watching SD channels through the 3575 (turned on, of course)?

In other words, is the only advantage to the "first-in-line" approach that the 3575 doesn't need to be "on"?

No, it doesn't have to be 1st on the coax. The 1st on the coax is for all who can TUNE channels separately on the 3575 so they can record one channel and watch another.

However, one user has all-scrambled channels but placed his 3575 1st on the coax anyway, and wrote that he "got a new TV"... the amplified signal made his TV 20% better PQ. See this post for the details. Connections to the STB are the same wherever the 3575 is.

It's interesting that you note an "amplified" looking pic when connected only thru a line input. I thought it was only thru the coax passthru, but maybe it's also amplified thru the line inputs? That would be another "cool" feature of the 3575!
post #3311 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Another cool feature is rapid play, one button which gives slow or fast advance with sound. I can quickly see slowmo sports plays or speed through a show and retain sound. Does a good job since you can understand most all said but get through quickly.
post #3312 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

No, it doesn't have to be 1st on the coax. The 1st on the coax is for all who can TUNE channels separately on the 3575 so they can record one channel and watch another.

However, one user has all-scrambled channels but placed his 3575 1st on the coax anyway, and wrote that he "got a new TV"... the amplified signal made his TV 20% better PQ. See this post for the details. Connections to the STB are the same wherever the 3575 is.

It's interesting that you note an "amplified" looking pic when connected only thru a line input. I thought it was only thru the coax passthru, but maybe it's also amplified thru the line inputs? That would be another "cool" feature of the 3575!

Thanks... I looked at that post, and I would concur that my picture is also ~20% better when viewed through E1 with the box turned on. I had previously assumed that the box was upgrading the signal from 480i to 480p until I read about the amplification effect. Now I watch all SD channels through the 3575, and for HD I switch the "source" to STB.
post #3313 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel711 View Post

Thanks... I looked at that post, and I would concur that my picture is also ~20% better when viewed through E1 with the box turned on. I had previously assumed that the box was upgrading the signal from 480i to 480p until I read about the amplification effect. Now I watch all SD channels through the 3575, and for HD I switch the "source" to STB.

Thanks for the info!

I'll add a link to your post for others with a STB who might benefit from a "free" signal boost.
post #3314 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post

Another cool feature is rapid play, one button which gives slow or fast advance with sound. I can quickly see slowmo sports plays or speed through a show and retain sound. Does a good job since you can understand most all said but get through quickly.

I also like how they use the 1.3x rapid play.
I use this feature on my Sony DVD player a lot, unfortunately it only has 1.2x and then jumps to 1.4x. 1.2x is a little slow, and 1.4x is kinda fast. My Panny DVDR's have the 1.3x but require RAM discs, which I don't use. I think Philips got the speed "just right" on the 3575 and allow it on standard R/RW discs. Just one more + to this unit, IMO.
post #3315 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post

The link was over on the Polo digital recorder thread.

Nope. Wasn't that. I just looked at the thread, and you're referring to the recent posts about the "Polaroid Freescape", right?

I never even saw those posts, and this was a few weeks ago. Maybe I just came across it on the net when searching for some new news on TVGOS's future digital plans, 'cause I do that from time to time. I could swear that "TVGOS" was specifically mentioned, but it's possible that either I, or they could've been wrong.
post #3316 of 4792 Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafla View Post

This thread *may* have some info of interest?
post #3317 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 AM

Apology for reposting, but I just wanted to ensure people were aware of this and if they would like to see video file recognition via the USB port to request such from Philips...

--Thanks much from the scorched earth of Southeast Louisiana in the forgotten region *south* of NOLA...

############################################################
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntPixlz View Post

NOTICE:
I've called and e-mailed Philips via their website asking them to please update the firmware for the DVDR-3575H/37 so you can view and play videos from devices plugged into the USB port.

The device is capable of reading the file structures on USB devices, but in my opinion THEY HAVE DISABLED it's ability to see videos on devices plugged into the USB port.

I told them I felt as if their customers would be very appreciative if they would unlock hiding video files on devices plugged in to the USB port and personally, I see no logical basis for them filtering out video files on the USB port.

If you would like to see them enable this if possible, **PLEASE** call Philips at 1-888-744-5477 AND submit the request via their website here:
http://www.feedback.philips.com/cons...ODUCT_SELECTED

Quote:

The DVDR3575H/37 already reads the file system fine on PC-made DVD's and IT DOES see video files when viewing a DVD, but for some reason they have disabled even being able to see video files on devices hooked to the USB port, and, in my opinion, this is something they have intentionally disabled and I would surmise all they would have to do is remove the filter that hides the video files on USB connected devices and your videos would then play fine via the USB connection.

I could be wrong, but you make it sound as if it would require a major re-write of teh firmware to which I would strongly disagree with as I believe they actually went out of their way to embed code to block seeing video files on USB devices.

Quote:

"Thank you for your email to Philips Consumer Lifestyle. We received your request to add video viewing capabilities to the USB port on this device through a firmware upgrade. We will forward your concern to our Management department. This will be taken in consideration to improve our service."

Call them and submit the request via their web form, maybe if enough people do it they will attempt to SATISY THEIR **CUSTOMERS**

############################################################
post #3318 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. Wasn't that. I just looked at the thread, and you're referring to the recent posts about the "Polaroid Freescape", right?

I never even saw those posts, and this was a few weeks ago. Maybe I just came across it on the net when searching for some new news on TVGOS's future digital plans, 'cause I do that from time to time. I could swear that "TVGOS" was specifically mentioned, but it's possible that either I, or they could've been wrong.

Yes, Freescape. Looks interesting.
post #3319 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For anybody interested Geeks.com is selling the 3575 refurbished for $199.

Here:

Geeks.com
post #3320 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 PM

You're probably going to see them sold cheaper a lot of places now that a new model has been announced - the 3576.

(What the heck is wrong with this site lately? I keep getting blank pages everytime I click on them. If it's because it's too busy, I've never gotten that before - just the "server is too busy" notice.)
post #3321 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

...(What the heck is wrong with this site lately? I keep getting blank pages everytime I click on them. If it's because it's too busy, I've never gotten that before - just the "server is too busy" notice.)

I haven seen that, but I have noticed sometimes
pages are slow to load...
post #3322 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

You're probably going to see them sold cheaper a lot of places now that a new model has been announced - the 3576.

(What the heck is wrong with this site lately? I keep getting blank pages everytime I click on them. If it's because it's too busy, I've never gotten that before - just the "server is too busy" notice.)

Do you have any details? I was just about to place my order for a 3575...but it sure seems worth waiting to see what's coming next. Even if it's to see a price decline as this new 3576 is introduced. (Though the supply of 3575's seems pretty low already; maybe there won't be that many around to discount...)
post #3323 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersDad View Post

Do you have any details?

Just this: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6#post13182546.
post #3324 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM

I have not heard about the 3576 being released, but an interesting fact is that there are no less than 6 different Hard Disk/ DVD Recorders listed on the Philips United Kingdom (U.K.) website, including the 3575.

Two of them have a 250g hard drive, but all incorporate the PAL/SECAM system instead of the US NTSC/ATSC system and they have different connectors on the back.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...A_GB_CONSUMER/
post #3325 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 01:49 PM

I don't think the 3576 has been released yet. But other than that post, I did hear something about it coming somwhere else around here a couple or so weeks back, also.
post #3326 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Just this: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6#post13182546.

The features look just like those of the 3575.
Or did I miss something?
post #3327 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

I haven seen that, but I have noticed sometimes
pages are slow to load...

Thanks. All seems right now, at least on my computer.
post #3328 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

The features look just like those of the 3575.
Or did I miss something?

Yeah, it sure looks like the exact, same thing. Just a new model # I guess. Maybe they fixed the "QAM tuner bug" once and for all.
post #3329 of 4792 Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Confirmation of the Philips HDDVR3576H/37.......

Off of a Google search, I found three retailers with the listing but none are in stock.

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote....&vid=347&src=F

Note that the list price is less than the 349.95 list on the 3575.
post #3330 of 4792 Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

It would be nice if the 76 has an integrated tuner like most new TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page