Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 4792 Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
...and that reminds me of that time when I first introduced the hdd/dvd recorder to mum in Mar. You can imagine how tongue-tied I got trying to explain that there is no such thing as "recording over old stuff" (as in a vcr), with this new thing. You just record what you want and delete what you don't want. I guess I should have just told her to imagine it like it is a gigantic vhs tape that you never have to swap out or worry where the free space is. (Why, didn't I think of that, earlier?!)

Lemme tell you, I utterly failed to adequately convey what all this business about the always-on chase-play was about to her. I stumbled my way through it with words, demonstrated it in actual use, and all I got was a look of confusions or indifference, as opposed to the "omg, that is really cool"! It's just a glorified vcr to her, and I doubt she will ever fully grasp what it is capable of...

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4792 Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You mean she'll never be able to use it in cleaning the house or cooking dinner?
post #3933 of 4792 Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 99
With a Philips-caliber UI?!...Are you kidding?

Margot Robbie is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 4792 Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just got back from vacation. I made some movies on my digital camera. As most do, it records movies in mov format. I saw where my Phillips can play divx movies so I found a converter that converts mov to divx. Apparently, this doesn't work so well as the Phillips recognized the movie but wouldn't play it. Anybody had any luck doing this?
post #3935 of 4792 Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m82a1pa View Post

We just got back from vacation. I made some movies on my digital camera. As most do, it records movies in mov format. I saw where my Phillips can play divx movies so I found a converter that converts mov to divx. Apparently, this doesn't work so well as the Phillips recognized the movie but wouldn't play it. Anybody had any luck doing this?

I haven't done this specifically for the Phillips, but I have for other recorders (but the mov format was not form a digicam). Anyway, it may seem obvious, but make sure you convert to the proper resolution and bit rate for the Phillips (whatever that is - I don't have the manual handy, but it's usually something close to the standard DVD resolution and a bit rate less than 4k, I think). The DivX file you create has to be within specifications. Digital cameras capturing movies often use funny frame rates and resolutions.

This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking. Good luck!
post #3936 of 4792 Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 PM

A few weeks ago I bought a 3576 to replace my 3575 that couldn't tune via QAM. This unit has been working great...

Last night, I added a connection via HDMI to our big screen in the living room (a 15' cable), in addition to the component video connection I've been using to the 42" plasma in my office. The HDMI connection is great...but now I notice wide purple and green stripes (about 3" wide) crawling up the screen of the plasma. The two stripes are separated by 1/2 of the screen width (as one stripe is at the top of the screen, the other -- opposite colored one -- is just about center screen. These are very subtle stripes -- I can really only notice then with scenes that have large blocks of the same color.

Both the HDMI and component cables are high quality and brand new. I don't notice the stripe when it's just the component connection; only when HDMI is added. I'm guessing that it's some sort of induced noise... The big question is: can anyone suggest a fix? I would sure hate to be forced to return this otherwise great unit, and begin again the "lottery" for a unit with working QAM...
post #3937 of 4792 Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Hmmm, since it just started with adding the HDMI, two things come to mind right away as WAGs:

1. The HDMI cable is "too long" and reflecting back somehow.

2. One of the outputs is set for interlace, like Video > Progressive Scan is ON or OFF and you're sending the opposite scan thru the HDMI, like 1080i, or vice versa. Make sure both are sending Progressive?

On reflection, here's a snippet from a Blue Jeans Cable piece on HDMI and run length:

"The best twisted pair cables control impedance to about +/- 10%. When a digital signal is run through a cable, the edges of the bits (represented by sudden transitions in voltage) round off, and the rounding increases dramatically with distance. Meanwhile, poor control over impedance results in signal reflections--portions of the signal bounce off of the display end of the line, propagate back down the cable, and return, interfering with later information in the same bitstream. At some point, the data become unrecoverable, and with no error correction available, there's no way to restore the lost information."
post #3938 of 4792 Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 PM

On #2 above, try 480p for HDMI and Progressive Scan ON for the Component output, which will make it 480p also?
post #3939 of 4792 Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersDad View Post

Last night, I added a connection via HDMI to our big screen in the living room (a 15' cable)...

WAY too long! While I've heard that any HDMI longer than 3' may cause problems, you may get away with 6', MAX.

I've been hearing nothing but problems with HDMI, while very little or no improvement in PQ over component. I can live without it....for now.
post #3940 of 4792 Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Hi Wajo...yet again you're the Master...

I checked the Video setting (I didn't even realize there was an option for Progressive Scan ON or OFF). It was off, so I turned it on. It's too early to tell if the stripes are really gone (it's really hard to spot except when there are large areas of white or black)). But the picture is SO MUCH SHARPER over the component connection than before! I thought I had a great picture before, but this is an order of magnitude improved: much better than I ever thought would be possible with a component connection to a 720p set.
post #3941 of 4792 Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

I haven't done this specifically for the Phillips, but I have for other recorders (but the mov format was not form a digicam). Anyway, it may seem obvious, but make sure you convert to the proper resolution and bit rate for the Phillips (whatever that is - I don't have the manual handy, but it's usually something close to the standard DVD resolution and a bit rate less than 4k, I think). The DivX file you create has to be within specifications. Digital cameras capturing movies often use funny frame rates and resolutions.

This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking. Good luck!

It turnes out to be fairly easy. DivX.com sells a set of conversion utilities for $15. I downloaded it last night and tried it out. It failed on the mov files. I contacted technical support there and they pointed to a no-charge companion product called Dr. Divx which converted them to divx movies and they play beautifully on the Phillips. No settings to play with, as well.
post #3942 of 4792 Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersDad View Post

Hi Wajo...yet again you're the Master...

I checked the Video setting (I didn't even realize there was an option for Progressive Scan ON or OFF). It was off, so I turned it on. It's too early to tell if the stripes are really gone (it's really hard to spot except when there are large areas of white or black)). But the picture is SO MUCH SHARPER over the component connection than before! I thought I had a great picture before, but this is an order of magnitude improved: much better than I ever thought would be possible with a component connection to a 720p set.

Whatya know, lucked out again!

Hope the lines are gone, and not just "better-looking" lines!
post #3943 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Whatya know, lucked out again!

Hope the lines are gone, and not just "better-looking" lines!

Good call. That was non-obvious.

Can you actually set progressive/interlaced on the HDMI? I thought the two units communicated to automatically send the highest quality the display is capable of.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3944 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys,

Quick question...

I want to get one of these and daisy chain it along with my Pio's, using the coax cable.

Will the machine pass through all the NTSC signals so my Pio's will be ok? Or alternatively, will the Pio's pass through the ATSC signal so the Philips will get what it needs?

Thanks guys.
post #3945 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel711 View Post

WAY too long! While I've heard that any HDMI longer than 3' may cause problems, you may get away with 6', MAX.

I've been hearing nothing but problems with HDMI, while very little or no improvement in PQ over component. I can live without it....for now.

According the the HDMI web site, the acceptable length of the HDMI cable depends on the gauge of the wire.

Q. What is the current Cat 1, Type A maximum cable length?
15 meters for a AWG22, 12 meters for AWG24, and 10 meters for a AWG26. For Cat 2, the maximum seems to be 5-8 meters

So, if you want to run a long HDMI cable, get one with a larger gauge, that is, a lower number.

RG
post #3946 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Good call. That was non-obvious.

Can you actually set progressive/interlaced on the HDMI? I thought the two units communicated to automatically send the highest quality the display is capable of.

Yes, there's a remote button that you can use to select 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p output via HDMI.

That's good for me cuz I get my best pic sending 480p to both my Vizio 47" 1080p LCD and Vizio 37" 720P LCD (in diff. rooms), both of which apparently do a better job in upscaling my ANALOG COMPOSITE cable TV-watching signal than my 3575's; however, my commercial DVDs do play better with upconverting their digital Component (YCbCr) video. Other people with diff. TV service and TVs than mine do report better results with upconverting their TV-watching signals... upconverting seems to be a mixed-bag and depends a lot on what your signal source is?
post #3947 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 View Post

Hi guys,

Quick question...

I want to get one of these and daisy chain it along with my Pio's, using the coax cable.

Will the machine pass through all the NTSC signals so my Pio's will be ok? Or alternatively, will the Pio's pass through the ATSC signal so the Philips will get what it needs?

I run my Philips 3575 coax passthru thru my Pio 640 and on to the TV so both the 640 and TV get the raw incoming cable signal to do what they want with it, as described here.

Note that the Philips 3575/76 has an amplified coax passthru, so I place my Philips 1st on the coax so all downstream components can benefit from the amplified signal... some people have reported a 20% better pic, one even saying he "got a new TV" just from the improved signal strength.

I've also run composite line outputs to my Pio 640 to record widescreen programs from my 3575's digital tuner so I could use the unique editing capabilities of the Pio on recorded programs, as described here.

I've also used the Pio 640 to make finalized, ready-to-play anywhere Backup copies of 3575 DVDs in high-speed.

They make a great combination!
post #3948 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Wow!! Thanks Wajo, you're the best!!
post #3949 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM

By the way, you mentioned the Philips amplifies the signal on pass-thru - any idea if the Pio's do any amplification?
post #3950 of 4792 Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred999 View Post

By the way, you mentioned the Philips amplifies the signal on pass-thru - any idea if the Pio's do any amplification?

Nope. Less than -1dB loss thru a typ VCR/DVDR passive passthru like the Pios and Pannys.
post #3951 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Hi guys,

When I had a VCR, it had a TV/VCR switch that gave me the choice of sending to the TV what was playing on the VCR or what the tuner was set for, versus just passing through what was on the antenna cable.

This device doesn't have that. Does that mean it sends both at the same time?

Since I have more than one tv connected to the same output, and the DVDR is upstairs, its tuner might be set to channel 11 or 11.1, but when I'm downstairs and the it turns 6 o'clock, I might want to watch the weak channel 22, instead of the DVDR tuner channel 11. Because it's weak I need the signal from the antenna in the attic. Will the whole array of antenna signals be passed through to my tv at the same time the tuner in the dvdr is tuned specifically to 11 or 11.1?

Thanks a lot.
post #3952 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 AM

MMikeM, this post, 1st sketch, shows how to connect and explains how to get the antenna and internal stuff to the TV.

Connected the way shown will allow you to watch ch. 11 on the DVDR cuz you've got a line output from it to the TV, then switch to straight TV using your TV control to watch ch 22 coming from the same antenna.
post #3953 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:

MMikeM, this post, 1st sketch, shows how to connect and explains how to get the antenna and internal stuff to the TV.

Connected the way shown will allow you to watch ch. 11 on the DVDR cuz you've got a line output from it to the TV, then switch to straight TV using your TV control to watch ch 22 coming from the same antenna.

Thanks, Wajo. I see I left out a lot that should have been in my question. Until I run a lot more wires, and get TVs with line input (and not just antenna input), what I do is take the coaxial output only, run it through an RF modulator, and run that to all my analog tvs.

Is there any chance that all of the antenna input to the 3576 gets passed-through to the coaxial output and modulated at the same time that the chosen station on the 3576** gets output and modulated?

**whether analog or digital

Thanks again.
post #3954 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM View Post

Thanks, Wajo. I see I left out a lot that should have been in my question. Until I run a lot more wires, and get TVs with line input (and not just antenna input), what I do is take the coaxial output only, run it through an RF modulator, and run that to all my analog tvs.

Is there any chance that all of the antenna input to the 3576 gets passed-through to the coaxial output and modulated at the same time that the chosen station on the 3576** gets output and modulated?

Not having used a modulator on the 3575/76, I might be learning something new. I didn't think the 3575/76 could output ANY signal thru its coax... that was just a straight passthru of the incoming signal.

I think you're saying you CAN see channels or recorded stuff from the 3576 thru its coax connection using a modulator? That seems improbable since you CAN watch something on a TV using its tuner while playing something from the 3576 via a line output. If it sent that same signal thru the coax, the incoming signal thru the coax would clash with the signal the 3576 is ALSO sending thru the coax?????????????
post #3955 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 PM

MMikeM, check pg 16 of the manual where it shows how to connect an RF modulator with coax and composite cables, which seems to indicate both signals will go thru the modulator and on to the TV via the coax out to TV?

Not sure how it works, tho, as far as "passthru" vs 3576 channels, etc.
post #3956 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MMikeM, check pg 16 of the manual where it shows how to connect an RF modulator with coax and composite cables, which seems to indicate both signals will go thru the modulator and on to the TV via the coax out to TV?

Not sure how it works, tho, as far as "passthru" vs 3576 channels, etc.

I had a modulator hooked up for a DVD player and a TV with only an RF input. The A/V outputs of the player fed the modulator A/V inputs, and the antenna fed the modulator RF input. The modulator RF output fed the TV antenna input.

When the player was off, the modulator passed thru the antenna feed.

When the modulator detected signal on the A/V inputs, because the player was on, the modulator would output the signal on the RF output, on channel 3 or 4, depending on a switch setting on the modulator. When the player was on, only the player signal would be available on the modulator RF output. It did not mix in the antenna feed.
post #3957 of 4792 Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks, Ken, that explains it nicely and explains the workings of the Philips sketch on pg 16.
post #3958 of 4792 Old 07-27-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMikeM View Post

Based on kenavs's explanation of a modulator's operation above, I'm wondering why using a VCR wouldn't be just as good.

Run the coax to the 3575/76 and thru the VCR to the TV, then a line connection from 3575/76 to VCR. Then, set the VCR to the 3575/76's line input and leave it there. Then, the raw OTA/cable signal should just pass thru when the VCR is off. When you turn the VCR on, you can use the VCR TV/Video control (or similar button name) to switch to "TV" for the raw OTA/cable feed thru the 3575/76 passthru, OR to "Video" for the 3575/76 stuff (menus, channels, HDD and DVD).

With this setup and the 3575/76 1st on the coax, you can still record one channel on the 3575/76 and simultaneously watch a channel on the TV when the VCR is set for passthru ("TV").

The only thing I still wonder about is the note in the manual to NOT run the 3575/76 output thru a VCR or you might get a "bad pic"... I'm thinking this might only be for copy-protection/DRM reasons thinking the VCR might be more susceptible?

(People reading this should be aware that this discussion is only for people with an old TV that has ONLY a single RF/coax connector... no line inputs for normal setup of a 3575/76.)
post #3959 of 4792 Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

The only thing I still wonder about is the note in the manual to NOT run the 3575/76 output thru a VCR or you might get a "bad pic"... I'm thinking this might only be for copy-protection/DRM reasons thinking the VCR might be more susceptible?

Right you are. Macrovision.
post #3960 of 4792 Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Right you are. Macrovision.

Aha!

I wonder if that's just for playing tapes, but using the VCR passthru just for watching 3575/76 TV channels or recorded stuff from the 3575/76, everything would be OK... normal-normal!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page