Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #4291 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well as far as I'm concerned, the firmware upgrade to 0x93 WAS worth it, AND it is vastly superior to the 0x90 firmware.

With the 0x90 firmware, I kept losing the digital channels constantly, and sometimes the recorder would record a blank program because it had lost the channel!! -- extremely unacceptable, and I could not live with that.

With the 0x93 firmware, the digital channels are rock solid, but I get the false CP (definitely not real CP) on a few programs occasionally, an extremely small number of which I need to dub to a DVD -- not totally acceptable, but manageable, and I can live with that.

I guess it just proves the point that YMMV.

RG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
post #4293 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19

But with my 76 that's been getting flags, we already know (by dividing recordings at breaks) that the offending flag can be contained in a commercial somewhere in the middle of the show, the show itself not having any flag at all. (Or only a portion of an episode will have the flag buried somewhere in it, the rest of the show being flag-free.)

I don't think avoiding the first few seconds of an episode is going to do any good in such cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4294 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 21
Maybe they just don't want you to be able to record the commercials.
post #4295 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello

As you will soon discover from my post, I’m a newbie here. I have read almost all of the posts and searched for a solution to my audio problem, but I have yet to determine the cause. I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40S4100 and have connected it to my Phillips DVDR 3575H/37. I have been very impressed by the image quality of DVDs and recorded programs. Unfortunately, I have encountered a small glitch.

When recording through the E1 connection my recordings lack sound. As I said, I have poured through the forum and examined the wiring diagrams carefully (thanks wajo et al), but a solution eludes me. My Explorer 4250HD (Rogers) cable box is connected to the DVDR 3575H/37 with an S-Video cable and standard audio cables. I have managed to record the digital channels, but they lack audio. However, the recordings I have made of “standard” channels have been fine. The cable connection from the wall is connected directly to the DVDR 3575H/37 and then it is connected to the cable box. For movies, I have used an optical cable to connect the DVDR 3575H/37 to my Yamaha RX-V459. The cable box is also connected to the Yamaha with an optical connection. Both the cable box and the DVDR 3575H/37 are connected to the Sony KDL-40S4100 with HDMI cables.

I have confirmed that the S-Video and audio cables are properly connected to the DVDR 3575H/37. I can watch digital and “regular” channels through the DVDR 3575H/37 and can hear the audio through the Yamaha. By the way, I have turned off the sound on the television and listen to programs through the Yamaha.

I would appreciate it any of you can help me resolve the annoying issue.
post #4296 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Have you checked the HDMI Audio setting to make sure it's ON or OFF, depending on how you're connections work... sorry, couldn't discern for myself whether it should be on or off?
post #4297 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Wajo:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

I have played with the HDMI settings on the cable box (on/off) and the audio settings on the DVDR 3575H/37. No luck so far. It's VERY frustrating to get a good recording without sound. The cable box is currently set for 5.1 suround sound. Perhaps the DVDR 3575H/37 can't work with this setting?

Thanks again!
post #4298 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcanuck View Post

Wajo:

Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

I have played with the HDMI settings on the cable box (on/off) and the audio settings on the DVDR 3575H/37. No luck so far. It's VERY frustrating to get a good recording without sound. The cable box is currently set for 5.1 suround sound. Perhaps the DVDR 3575H/37 can't work with this setting?

Thanks again!

I don't have a cable box but I know that no DVDR can accept DD5.1 so maybe the problem is there... can you use and set for 2-channel stereo audio cuz that's what the 3576 needs on the L/R audio inputs.
post #4299 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Another post by a JVC user who says he called JVC and they "were aware" that CP was happening during commercials.
post #4300 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks again!

THe cable box is actually set to Dolby Digital. I'm not sure if this is a concern or not. I will try changing it and see what happens.

Thanks.
post #4301 of 4792 Old 10-17-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Another post by a JVC user who says he called JVC and they "were aware" that CP was happening during commercials.

Starting to look more and more like the way to record and be able to burn discs is to use a digital converter box and feed the a/v signals into a recorder.

Shame.

I end up owning two 76s, and would have been just as successful keeping my 3455 and maybe looking to get a second one of those.
post #4302 of 4792 Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My local FOX digital station has been the leading offender in programs recorded to my 3576 that contained the "do not copy" copy-once CP flag.

To further convince myself that these CP flags are created by the 3576 by falsely reacting to something in the digital signal that triggers the CP, yesteday I recorded 16 straight programs from my local digital FOX channel (QAM over Comcast cable) on a DVD-RAM disc on my Panasonic EZ-28, which also has a QAM digital tuner.

These programs were then HS dubbed to the HDD of my Panasonic E-500 recorder, which displays a "copy-once" icon next to programs with CP when the dubbing of these programs to DVD-R discs is attempted.

Not one of these programs had the copy-once icon next to the title, leading me to believe that there was no CP flag in any of the programs.

My conclusion is that my local digital FOX channel does NOT incorporate CP in any of its programs, and that the CP on the Philips 3576 is a false reaction to a non-existant CP flag. However, there is a slight possibility that by recording to DVD-RAM, the CP flag has been "lost". I don't believe this, but a good test will be to record directly on a DVD-R disc.

Later this week, I will try this again, this time recording on a DVD-R disc on my EZ-28. If there is a copy-once CP flag on any of the programs, it will not be recorded on the disc.

RG
post #4303 of 4792 Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

My local FOX digital station has been the leading offender in programs recorded to my 3576 that contained the "do not copy" copy-once CP flag...

I've stopped getting the flags off my NBC affiliate, but its sister station, our CW channel, has them all the time. Also, last week our Fox station did NOT have a flag when it ran STARGATE ATLANTIS, but this weekend's episode DID have a flag again.

*sigh....groan....grrrr*
post #4304 of 4792 Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Hello. I am trying to come up to speed on my problem with my approx 1 year old DVDR3575H recorder. Some times I am getting the +VR mode error on my machine when recording and the unit shuts down. Usually it is in the middle of a commercial. Most times it is on the local FOX analog feed but sometimes also on the NBC digital feed. I am only using the built in over the air tuner. Can anyone advise as to my options with this unit. This is very annoying to not even be able to trust this unit to record a complete program with what I paid for it.

Thanks, Steve
post #4305 of 4792 Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Steve, It appears that, since Sep 1 or earlier, a number of people have been noticing CP in commercials with various machines. Besides a couple in this thread with 3576's, here are just a few other people having the same problem:

One user with two DVDRs, LG and Sony, attached to STBs... one poster mentions the possibility of RIAA protection on the music used.

Interesting post by a Toshiba XS32 user who's "suddenly" getting Copy-Once flags, and a potential solution in the works?

Another post by a JVC user who says he called JVC and they "were aware" that CP was happening during commercials. Several posts later, docfager says he also experienced CP in a commercial.

Can't offer any advice beyond what I did in that last JVC link since no one really knows WTH is going on!

UPDATE 2/1/09 - Apparently, JVC has found the problem with the CO-protected commercials in their DVDRs. They've posted a FW update to take care of that problem in at least one of their DVDRs, as mentioned here.
post #4306 of 4792 Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitesteve View Post

Hello. I am trying to come up to speed on my problem with my approx 1 year old DVDR3575H recorder. Some times I am getting the +VR mode error on my machine when recording and the unit shuts down. Usually it is in the middle of a commercial. Most times it is on the local FOX analog feed but sometimes also on the NBC digital feed. I am only using the built in over the air tuner. Can anyone advise as to my options with this unit. This is very annoying to not even be able to trust this unit to record a complete program with what I paid for it.

Thanks, Steve

I just want to be sure I understand exactly what is happening.
Are you trying to record from the OTA tuner to the Hard Drive or a DVD when this happens?

I thought we were supposed to be able to record a copy-once item to the HDD. If the older units cannot record a copy-once to the HDD, I may have it completely backwards on the 0x93 tuner. It may be a step forward if it can at least record to the HDD with a no-dub flag.
On second thought, it seemed like the 0x90 might be ignoring OTA copy-once. I give up. I don't have a clue what is actually happening.
post #4307 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitesteve View Post

Thanks, Steve

No copy protection problem with my Panasonic EZ-28, Pioneer 640 or Panasonic E-500 recorders, but I have one with my Philips 3576.

My guess is that the recorders that are applying copy protection to these programs are falsely reacting to something in the video signal that is triggering copy protection, but in reality, there is no copy protection signal.

If it bothers you, you can return the recorder or purchase a filter that will block the signal that is causing the problem. However, there is no guarantee that the filter will block the problem signal because it is not a true copy protection signal.

RG
post #4308 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

I just want to be sure I understand exactly what is happening.
Are you trying to record from the OTA tuner to the Hard Drive or a DVD when this happens?

I thought we were supposed to be able to record a copy-once item to the HDD. If the older units cannot record a copy-once to the HDD, I may have it completely backwards on the 0x93 tuner. It may be a step forward if it can at least record to the HDD with a no-dub flag.
On second thought, it seemed like the 0x90 might be ignoring OTA copy-once. I give up. I don't have a clue what is actually happening.

If the OP is getting the copy protection preventing recording on his HDD, then it is "copy-never" copy protection. If this is the case, then this would be the first I've heard of this happening on channels that are broadcast OTA...

My 3576 with the 0x90 tuner did not show the copy protection problem -- but that was because the tuner lost channels and sometimes recorded nothing!! My replacement with the 0x93 tuner holds the channels fine, but copy protection shows up occasionally.

RG
post #4309 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The board member satellitesteve said his machine actually shuts down during recordings.

This sounds like he's getting copy-never flags. Again, notice he says it happens during commercials, but oddly enough it happens on analog channels too, which shouldn't be able to transmit such a flag.

This makes me suspect more and more that it's totally the fault of the tuner or some related part of the machine.

PS

Still not done emptying my 93 machine which gets the flags, and last night recorded HEROES off NBCs digital affiliate in my area. Started it a few minutes early (tail end of Chuck), and ran a few minutes long. (I do this to make sure I get the start and end of an episode. Trim off the extra bits later.)

Haven't been getting the flags on HEROES for a few weeks now, but last night a little after 10 I checked, and the recording had one...until I chopped off the tail end of Chuck. The flag stayed with that part of the recording, and HEROES itself was clean. Thing is, I don't believe that last bit of Chuck had any commercials, which suggests the flag was in the show, and not an ad in this case. Of course, since it may also be a false flag that wasn't really there, where it happens may be a moot point.

Since satellitesteve says he seems to have gotten a copy-never flag on an ANALOG station...
post #4310 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

Interesting story by Eric Bangeman on May 29, 2008 re: NBC "inadvertently" setting a CP flag on primetime shows that should have been "Copy Freely."

The error primarily affected Windows Media Center according to an earlier article... one Arstechnica DirecTV user and a Tivo user reported no similar problem on that same show.

I esp. like the concluding paragraphs in the linked article:

"Microsoft is apparently determined to ensure that MCE owners don't again get the kind of rude surprise that greeted those expecting to see Wolf, Venom, and the rest of the gang trying to pound the crap out of hapless contenders. "We are working with [NBC] and others to ensure that procedures are in place so that such errors do not recur," the spokesperson said.

"That's cold comfort to owners of not only media center PCs, but DVRs and other devices that are ultimately at the mercy of Big Content's whims as to when and how they should be able to record and watch shows. There is technically no reason why Microsoft should support CGMS-A [Analog CP] in Windows Vista and Windows XP MCE, and the screwup is evidence the software giant has decided to align itself with the interests of broadcasters and movie studios rather than those of its customers. Yes, this was a mistake by NBC, but the technology is there for such mistakes to be turned into policy."

That earlier article also made a good point on DRM:

"Remember: DRM isn't about fighting piracy. It's about the ability to strictly control how we consume content. Users who are interested in pirating TV shows and movies aren't going to do so with a DVR or buy them through PPV. They've already skipped the middle-man and gone straight to B i t Torrent with its decent-quality, commercial-less, and DRM-free offerings. Boneheaded mistakes like the one apparently made by NBC and Microsoft Monday night will only serve to make alternative means of obtaining content more attractive."
post #4311 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hmmm.
post #4312 of 4792 Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

The board member satellitesteve said his machine actually shuts down during recordings.

This sounds like he's getting copy-never flags. Again, notice he says it happens during commercials, but oddly enough it happens on analog channels too, which shouldn't be able to transmit such a flag.

This makes me suspect more and more that it's totally the fault of the tuner or some related part of the machine.

PS

Still not done emptying my 93 machine which gets the flags, and last night recorded HEROES off NBCs digital affiliate in my area. Started it a few minutes early (tail end of Chuck), and ran a few minutes long. (I do this to make sure I get the start and end of an episode. Trim off the extra bits later.)

Haven't been getting the flags on HEROES for a few weeks now, but last night a little after 10 I checked, and the recording had one...until I chopped off the tail end of Chuck. The flag stayed with that part of the recording, and HEROES itself was clean. Thing is, I don't believe that last bit of Chuck had any commercials, which suggests the flag was in the show, and not an ad in this case. Of course, since it may also be a false flag that wasn't really there, where it happens may be a moot point.

Since satellitesteve says he seems to have gotten a copy-never flag on an ANALOG station...

You mistakenly assume that copy protection signals can only be transmitted over digital channels. This is not true.

DVD recorders with analog-only tuners can also be subject to copy-once and copy-never copy protection. My Panasonic E-500, E-65, and Pioneer 640 DVD recorders all respond to copy protection and they only have analog tuners.

This form of copy protection is different from the digital "broadcast flag", but it operates in a similar manner, that is restricting copying. It is called Copy Generation Management System - Analog (CGMS-A), and it is carried in the vertical blanking interval (VBI) of the analog video signal.

Click here for a description in Wikipedia.

RG
post #4313 of 4792 Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if by any chance Fox, MGM, and The CW have been making that same little "boo-boo"?
post #4314 of 4792 Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

You mistakenly assume that copy protection signals can only be transmitted over digital channels. This is not true.

DVD recorders with analog-only tuners can also be subject to copy-once and copy-never copy protection. My Panasonic E-500, E-65, and Pioneer 640 DVD recorders all respond to copy protection and they only have analog tuners.

This form of copy protection is different from the digital "broadcast flag", but it operates in a similar manner, that is restricting copying. It is called Copy Generation Management System - Analog (CGMS-A), and it is carried in the vertical blanking interval (VBI) of the analog video signal.

Click here for a description in Wikipedia.

I've never heard of such a thing with analog TV, and understood it was illegal.
post #4315 of 4792 Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It might be illegal for OTA broadcast analog programs (not absolutely sure about that), but it would not be illegal for cable-only programs or "pay channel" programs, such as HBO, etc.

By the way, I have never had an analog program flagged with CGMS-A copy protection on any of my DVD recorders. It might be interesting to see if the 3576 is also reacting to false CGMS-A in recording analog programs, like it reacts to false copy protection flags in recording digital programs. When I get a chance, I'll record a bunch of analog programs to see what happens.

RG
post #4316 of 4792 Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've only had it happen so far on OTA digital channels (both by antenna and by cable), nothing originating on analog cable/satellite.

Since I only get one or two "nothing" cable channels on unscrambled QAM, I can't say what'd happen if I tried to record true digital cable channels on the "bad boy" machine.
post #4317 of 4792 Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM

I've been following these threads for a while, but I only just got a 3576 last week, ( pack date: 24 June 2008, DTS-V: 0x93. ). I was going to wait a bit longer before posting about the "cannot copy to disk" flag, but I'm seeing a pattern too clear to ignore. I'm in Toronto Canada and I get my signal ( digital and analog ) OTA - Canadian channels from the Toronto area and American channels from Buffalo NY. Thus far, I have recorded about twenty digital shows in total, and I always get the flag on every American broadcast recording, ( from the Buffalo affiliates of CBS, ABC, the CW, FOX, and MYTV - formerly the WB ). The only exception ( no flags ) is PBS. I have never gotten any flags from a Canadian broadcast, even when the show being broadcast is an American network show, like House or Bones.
This would seem to support the theory that these flags are appearing as a result of advancements in anti-copy protection either at the broadcasting station or in the recorder or both. The pattern is just too stable and consistent, (in my particular case anyway ), to be a malfunction on my machine or the result of some kind of interference.
I suppose that the other possibility is the commercials. Most commercials on Canadian channels are made for the Canadian market. There are some that seem to be running identical versions on both sides of the border, but I don't know whether they might be altered for Canadian broadcast in a way viewers would not notice, ( closed captioned in French or something... ), and there are next to no commercials on PBS.
I don't have a problem with this because I'm just timeshifting. A pvr with added bonus upconverting dvd player suits me just fine. I know that my overall experience with this is limited and I should wait much longer before making definitive statements. But I thought the pattern was so striking that I should report it to those of you trying to figure out what's going on.
post #4318 of 4792 Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM

Liked: 21
Well, if these things needed any help being killed off for good in the USA, I think they've got it now. Say bye-bye.
post #4319 of 4792 Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Has anyone tried hooking up a CECB to the line input of a 3576 and try recording that way? I'm just curious if the CECB would pass the CP flag on or if it only occurs using the built in digital tuner. Oh and that brings up another question, does anyone get the CP flag when recording from a analog channel or does this only occur on digital channels?
I agree, if this continues to get worse it will drive another nail into the coffin.
post #4320 of 4792 Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Has anyone tried hooking up a CECB to the line input of a 3576 and try recording that way? I'm just curious if the CECB would pass the CP flag on or if it only occurs using the built in digital tuner. Oh and that brings up another question, does anyone get the CP flag when recording from a analog channel or does this only occur on digital channels?
I agree, if this continues to get worse it will drive another nail into the coffin.

Jeff,

My 3575 is enslaved to a Comcast digital to analog cable box and it's inputs are otherwise occupied or I would check this out.

On the Panasonic DMR-EZ17 thread I've just posted a related message, reproduced here in a somewhat revised form:

There is a Zenith DTT901 about two feet from one of my DMR-EZ17 models that's connected cable-ready to Comcast. Perhaps I'll connect the 901 to an EZ17 line in and do some experimental recordings, say, record some hour long shows in back-to-back ten minute segments alternating between cable ready digital, cable ready analog and OTA digital feeds of the same program. Perhaps I'll see what might have CP or not with that arrangement.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page