Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Do you have Auto-Chapter on and, if so, what interval are you using?

I have them set at 5 minutes. The issue of deleting on top of a chapter mark does not appear to be the problem. However, since it takes a long time to skip through 3+ hours of video at 5 minute-intervals in edit mode, I am changing to 10-minute intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm considering this Philips 3575 and wanted to see how it should be hooked up with my TV and Comcast digital cable box if I want to record HBO when using the Comcast box as the tuner. I'm assuming that the cable can go into the Phillips then to the Comcast so I can record the unscrambled channels then the component or S-Video output from the Comcast box to the input of the Philips when I use the Comcast box as a tuner. My Vizio LCD TV has 2 HDMI inputs and 2 component inputs, so I would hook up the HDMI output from the Philips to HDMI input 1 and the HDMI output from the Comcast box to HDMI input 2 so I can switch between the 2 sources.

I've been called a storehouse of worthless information many times.
post #1923 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwatson77459 View Post

I'm considering this Philips 3575 and wanted to see how it should be hooked up with my TV and Comcast digital cable box if I want to record HBO when using the Comcast box as the tuner. I'm assuming that the cable can go into the Phillips then to the Comcast so I can record the unscrambled channels then the component or S-Video output from the Comcast box to the input of the Philips when I use the Comcast box as a tuner. My Vizio LCD TV has 2 HDMI inputs and 2 component inputs, so I would hook up the HDMI output from the Philips to HDMI input 1 and the HDMI output from the Comcast box to HDMI input 2 so I can switch between the 2 sources.

Sounds like the right plan, at least as a starting point...will work great if the 3575 can tune some unscrambled channels by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:47 PM

So is Philips still going to have a firmware update that improves digital OTA reception by removing the supposed analog interferance? I wouldn't go back to the Polaroid I had , because of it's myriad of other problems, but it's picture quality was definitely superior to the Philips. I seem to remember someone posted in this thread that Philips was saying there is analog interferance that degrades the digital signal. I for one hope they fix this, if in fact the Philips engineers say it is a known issue........
post #1925 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz View Post

So is Philips still going to have a firmware update that improves digital OTA reception by removing the supposed analog interferance? I wouldn't go back to the Polaroid I had , because of it's myriad of other problems, but it's picture quality was definitely superior to the Philips. I seem to remember someone posted in this thread that Philips was saying there is analog interferance that degrades the digital signal. I for one hope they fix this, if in fact the Philips engineers say it is a known issue........

I must have missed the "analog interference" post, but Philips is currently sending replacement units with a hardware fix. Those units have a July 2007 (or later) Pack Date on the end of the carton. My Wal-Mart has just received more units with a June 2007 Pack Date...not sure if they also have the hardware fix.
post #1926 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I must have missed the "analog interference" post, but Philips is currently sending replacement units with a hardware fix. Those units have a July 2007 (or later) Pack Date on the end of the carton. My Wal-Mart has just received more units with a June 2007 Pack Date...not sure if they also have the hardware fix.

I guess I could take advantage of wal-marts return policy, and get one of these July or later units and compare ....mine is stamped May 2007...or give them a call tomorrow , see if they have any more info on it....
post #1927 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks, that is kind of how my Sony VHS/DVD player is currently hooked up. I switch between the TV's HDMI input for the cable box, the component input from the DVD player and the RCA A/V input from the VHS.

I've been called a storehouse of worthless information many times.
post #1928 of 4792 Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitz View Post

I guess I could take advantage of wal-marts return policy, and get one of these July or later units and compare ....mine is stamped May 2007...or give them a call tomorrow , see if they have any more info on it....

I have two 3575s so I don't need another one, but I'd like to hear from someone who tries one of the June 2007 units.
post #1929 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Walmart run out of supply so I ordered it from Amazon. I have not yet recorded anything yet. Its nice to know that it can play Divx and AVI files, record to HDD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, outputs to HDMI 1080P, USB input. It automatically search TV broadcasting digital signals on the air and output analogue signals to my old 32" analogue TV. Its packed with all those features that I liked. So far so good.

Having owned a Philips DVD recorder in the past and returned (lazer malfunction) it within 6 months to Costco, I hope this recorder can last longer, say above 2 years.
post #1930 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 AM

I have a 6/25/2007 unit and it works great. I'm strictly over the air though. It did not need the FW upgrade...Jack
post #1931 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs009 View Post

I have a 6/25/2007 unit and it works great. I'm strictly over the air though. It did not need the FW upgrade...Jack

Thanks for the info and glad to hear everything A-OK with your June 2007 unit.

Now we need to hear from someone with a June 2007 unit on analog cable.
post #1932 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 AM

Here's a great review by a new user who has had TIVO and has tested the 3575 for 16:9 widescreen recording and answers many other questions people might have.

This post is on videohelp.com and I think the link will access the post OK for everyone...let me know if you can't access.
post #1933 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 AM

The link worked okay for me wabjxo.

The corvette forum I read will ban you for mention of the other forum. Glad they're cool about it here.

Seemed like a spot-on review of it. My 90 days are up, and I don't keep my digitals on my analog cable. I can't remember my pack date, but I bought it June 7. I need to call Phillips and schedule a replacement. I don't want to lose everything on my HDD, but I just need to burn it all.
post #1934 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Now we need to hear from someone with a June 2007 unit on analog cable.

I guess that would be me (on basic analog cable)!

Got a June 2007 unit with later Lot No. from Wal-Mart and it goes blue-screen sooner than my April 2007 blue-screen unit.

April 2007 unit.. SN LN1A0716xxxxxx
June 2007 unit...SN LN1A0725xxxxxx
post #1935 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 02:12 PM

I was playing around with my April 2007 unit last night and noticed a couple of things regarding the channel loss issue that I thought might be of some use to others.

1) I could flip back and forth between analog and digital (using the TV/DTV button) as much as I wanted, and it would remember the channels. However, it consistently lost the digital channel memory if I powered the unit off while tuned to an analog channel. If I was tuned to a digital channel when I powered off... the channels would still be there the next time I powered on. Can anyone else confirm the same behavior? If this theory holds up, you should be able to use this device without losing the channels by making sure you are on a digital channel when powering off. If you schedule a recording on an analog channel, you could always schedule a 2nd recording to record a digital channel for 1 minute immediately after the analog recording ends. Still, anyone with the earlier builds would be best off exchanging it for a "fixed" unit.

2) In one of my earlier posts, I mention how I could "sort of" direct-tune to digital channels after losing the channel memory... here's an update to that. I subscribe to Comcast in St. Paul, MN. Channel 75.1 automatically remaps to 4.1 which is CBS. Channel 75.2 is supposed to automatically remap to 11.2 which is NBC. However, for some reason, the 3575 also maps 75.2 to 4.1. So, I can directly tune to CBS, but never to NBC. Last night I discovered that if I directly tune to 75.1, which remaps to 4.1, I can manually add the channel to memory. On the memory screen it states "DTV 4.1 (CH 75)". Once added, if I hit the channel up button, DTV 11.2 and 11.3 are back! So, adding the main channel to memory will add back all of the sub channels as well. You just need to know what the main channel is before it remaps.

This isn't going to be very helpful for losing channels between recordings...but it will be quicker than doing a full channel scan again.

Hopefully this info comes in handy.
post #1936 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Got a June 2007 unit with later Lot No. from Wal-Mart and it goes blue-screen sooner than my April 2007 blue-screen unit.

Found a 31 July 2007 unit...LN1A0731xxxxxx...at a Wal-Mart 40 miles away. Set it up and it's no different than my April 2007 unit.

Didn't go blue-screen on 30 round-trips thru dig. chs. 60.1, 60.2, 60.3, but as soon as I included 75.1, 76.1, 78.1, it went blue-screen after ~10 RTs.

Apparently, Philips has some "special" replacement units that happen to have a July 2007 Pack Date?

June/July units just don't like my TWC basic analog cable...lucked out on my rock-solid April unit, I guess!

post #1937 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM

I've had the unit 25 days. Today, the HDD is acting up. One title does not go into preview when it is selected, and will not play from the beginning. I was able to get it to play when I skipped to chapter 3 (15 minutes into the title). However, it's just frozen up at the start. Won't play, won't edit. Can't do anything with it in edit mode. Won't fast forward or skip forward from 0:00. The title was working fine yesterday.

Also, the HDD is slow to 'boot up' tonight, taking a much longer than usual for the first frame of each title to display. The title button is also slow to respond at times. Seems like the HDD is about to crash.

Guess that's why Philips has the long disclaimer about the HDD in the manual. However, that long disclaimer doesn't give you much confidence in the HDD. I am trying to quickly burn these to DVD (this title is 2 days old). Have others had this issue?

Chris
post #1938 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Now, in the middle of recording a program, I got a "System Error" message in a red bar on a white inset that takes up 2/3 of the screen. "Please power off" in the middle of the screen. "SE 2" at the bottom right corner of the inset. Yikes. I'm going to let it run in the hopes that my program will keep recording correctly.

Chris
post #1939 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Found a 31 July 2007 unit...LN1A0731xxxxxx...at a Wal-Mart 40 miles away. Set it up and it's no different than my April 2007 unit.

Didn't go blue-screen on 30 round-trips thru dig. chs. 60.1, 60.2, 60.3, but as soon as I included 75.1, 76.1, 78.1, it went blue-screen after ~10 RTs.

Apparently, Philips has some "special" replacement units that happen to have a July 2007 Pack Date?

June/July units just don't like my TWC basic analog cable...lucked out on my rock-solid April unit, I guess!

Just want to be sure I understand. I take it you have 3 units now.
1(April 2007): An early unit which did not drop its memory, but would sometimes lose the ability to display cable channels, but would get it back by switching to analog and back. (You requested a warranty replacement for this unit, but decided to keep this unit, and let them bill your credit card. That resulted in a discounted price on one of the units.)
2(June 2007): The unit that was shipped as a replacement for unit 1 which works perfectly.
3(July 2007): A new unit, just purchased, which acts just like unit 1.

Do I have it right?
post #1940 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Just want to be sure I understand. I take it you have 3 units now.
1(April 2007): An early unit which did not drop its memory, but would sometimes lose the ability to display cable channels, but would get it back by switching to analog and back. (You requested a warranty replacement for this unit, but decided to keep this unit, and let them bill your credit card. That resulted in a discounted price on one of the units.)
2(June 2007): The unit that was shipped as a replacement for unit 1 which works perfectly.
3(July 2007): A new unit, just purchased, which acts just like unit 1.

Do I have it right?

Well, actually, I have 4 units (one Pio 640)... one for ABC, one for NBC, one for CBS, and one for Fox... how else can I keep my shows straight!?
post #1941 of 4792 Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

You do have to go to the actual frequency that the station broadcasts on first, since the tuner has no way of knowing what the assigned frequency for the station is, other than to do a complete scan of all of the frequencies and searching for active stations. When it finds one, it reads the PSIP data to determine what the station is known as. During a full scan, the ATSC tuner would have found a digital station at UHF 15. The PSIP data would have told it that the station was known as 14 which is the frequency assigned to the station's analog(NTSC) transmitter and placed the entry in the channel memory.

The answer to the 3575's channel loss problem for analog cable users has been here all along... its name is "PSIP."

From the ATSC.org website (bold and caps added for emphasis): "The Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) Standard, document A/65, is a collection of tables designed to operate within every transport stream for terrestrial broadcast of digital television. The purpose of the protocol is to facilitate the tuning of programs by specifying the information at the system and event levels for all virtual channels carried in a particular transport stream. Additionally, information for analog channels - as well as digital channels from other transport streams - MAY be incorporated."

Analog cable users are getting their digital channels thru an analog feed (a "different transport stream") and the cableco isn't including the PSIP (they "MAY" but don't have to), so there is no PSIP to "facilitate the tuning of programs...." That is, analog cable users have no "tracking data" to maintain stability as they tune to or surf those channels.

I'm on basic analog cable and receiving 6 orphan digital channels... why would my cableco include the PSIP for those digital channels I'm not paying extra for?

The mandatory inclusion of PSIP for OTA transmission and digital cable is why people who use those feeds, like Suplex, get 37 or more rock-solid video channels!

Is this a problem statement with NO solution!?

Good stuff from PSIP.org website, esp. 2nd para.:

"About PSIP

Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) is data that is transmitted along with a station's DTV signal that tells DTV receivers important information about the station and what is being broadcast. The most important function of PSIP is to provide a method for DTV receivers to identify a DTV station and to determine how a receiver can tune to it. PSIP identifies both the DTV channel and the associated NTSC (analog) channel. It helps maintain the current channel branding because DTV receivers will electronically associate the two channels making it easy for viewers to tune to the DTV station even if they do not know the channel number.

In addition to identifying the channel number, PSIP tells the receiver whether multiple program channels are being broadcast and, if so, how to find them. It identifies whether the programs are closed captioned, conveys V-chip information, if data is associated with the program, and much more. If broadcasters do not include properly encoded PSIP data in their DTV signals, receivers may not correctly identify and tune to the station. Therefore, it is vital that all broadcasters understand PSIP and include the data in their DTV stations signals. PSIP is a mandatory Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) Standard."
post #1942 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The mandatory inclusion of PSIP for OTA transmission and digital cable is why people who use those feeds, like Suplex, get 37 or more rock-solid video channels!

Is this a problem statement with NO solution!?

My replacement unit is rock solid on all the prior digital channels I got over my analog feed (but would lose but could tune directly). It also retains the lower numbered channels that I got the BSOD. So the answer is that the problem is fixed for me on analog Comcast, which seems to be the main problem provider. BTW, I get 16 regular channels, 2 music channels and the on demand channel. The only "broadcast" channel I do not get is Fox.

So there is a solution and it appears that Phillips has implemented it in the replacement units.
post #1943 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post

My replacement unit is rock solid on all the prior digital channels I got over my analog feed (but would lose but could tune directly). It also retains the lower numbered channels that I got the BSOD. So the answer is that the problem is fixed for me on analog Comcast, which seems to be the main problem provider. BTW, I get 16 regular channels, 2 music channels and the on demand channel. The only "broadcast" channel I do not get is Fox.

So there is a solution and it appears that Phillips has implemented it in the replacement units.

Yup, forgot about you being on analog cable...drats!

One thing to check on your July 2007 unit is the FW versions. I'd like to compare them to what I have on my July 2007 unit bought from Wal-Mart... that *might* give us a clue as to what they're doing differently with their replacment units. My July 2007 unit shows the following (half are diff. from my April 2007 unit):

Model. . .E2H4OUD
DTV-S. . 0x90
FE Ver. . R40_016_000
BE Ver. . HD4P3374EH1E
TT Ver. .T4015RDU
DV. . . . .00903E47 8AA19260
post #1944 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM

My 6/25/2007 unit is identical to your July except for the DV Unique ID. That makes sense or it wouldn't be 'Unique'. ;-)

Model. . .E2H4OUD
DTV-S. . 0x90
FE Ver. . R40_016_000
BE Ver. . HD4P3374EH1E
TT Ver. .T4015RDU
DV. . . . .00903E45 8FA16530
post #1945 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 01:56 PM

New season premieres, so wanted to test the 3575's timer recording of back-to-back shows on different channels.

Set Ch13 - 8:00-9:00 (01:00:00) . . Set Ch12 - 9:00-10:01 (01:01:00)
Recorded . . . . . . . . .(00:59:57) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (01:00:53)

Watched each show to see if I got end of 1st show and beginning of 2nd show:
1st show (Heroes) . . Got all of end and just a few sec shy of the whole next-week preview.
2nd show (CSI Miami) . . Started 42 sec before start of show (late start or what?)

So, at least this one time, no problem catching important stuff at end and beginning of back-to-back shows on different channels.
post #1946 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM

I am new to all this, I am looking for a dvd recorder that will record high def and be able to use hdmi. Will the Phillps unit record to the hd in High Def? Another question can I connect my vhs unit and record to dvd through the rca connections then when played through the hdmi will the picture improve?
Any help on these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Pete
post #1947 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

...So, at least this one time, no problem catching important stuff at end and beginning of back-to-back shows on different channels.

The networks, especially CBS have decided to run
some shows over into the next hour by a minute
or two, then start the next show that far into the hour.
It's not always the same, so it's hard to know how
to set the recorder.
It's especially a pain when you want to record two
shows back to back, but with the second show on
another network.
All that is the fault of the network(s) and not the 3575.
post #1948 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 02:26 PM

No current DVDR records in High-def...see "Sticky" at top of thread list for this forum.

You can record from an external source (VCR) to the HDD of the 3575 (or directly to a DVD) and the 3575 will produce a slightly better pic compared to the source when using SP rec mode (2-hr mode). When you rec. to the HDD, it gives you time to make a DVD copy at your leisure and edit it before you dub, if it needs it.

It can then upconvert that to 1080p if desired. If you have a fixed-pixel display (plasma, LCD, etc) you might not see much, if any, diff. in an upconverted pic compared to straight 480p (std-def. or "SD")...the scalers in today's fixed-pixel displays are very good at upconverting to their native res. (720p or 1080i/p).
post #1949 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM

July 31, 2007 pack date; direct from Phillips Online store:

Model. . .E2H4OUD
DTV-S. . 0x90
FE Ver. . R40_016_000
BE Ver. . HD4P3374EH1E
TT Ver. .T4015RDU
DV. . . . .00903E47 8AA20391

I'll post a new one I have to be shipped tomorrow, and I should have on Friday. It should have an August pack date....

I forgot and Hit OK, and reset everything. Have to remember to hit the BACK button next time....
post #1950 of 4792 Old 09-26-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

...I forgot and it OK, and reset everything. Have to remember to hit the BACK button next time....

I hate it when that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page