Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 4792 Old 09-29-2007, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by beukelman2 View Post

Do you have AnyDVD? I am quite sure that you need to have AnyDVD running in the background in order to use DVD Shrink effectively...

Only if the source disc is copy protected.
AnyDVD's job is to remove that, nothing more.
Personally, for backing up movies I use AnyDVD
and CloneDVD2 - both from Slysoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4792 Old 09-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

I ordered a unit on Wednesday from Phillips Online and it was shipped today from oak grove, Oh. Strange they they tell you they are out of stock...

I suppose their available stock goes to fulfilling orders first, then to warranty claims if still available. We'll see, maybe they were just saying that because they are running a little behind but don't want me calling every day asking them where it is at.
post #1983 of 4792 Old 09-29-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well I just called to RMA mine finally today and they are no longer doing the rapid exchange He said nope after being on hold for a while so I have to send mine in, then wait for another unit after mine gets there, not too impressed. I told him others were getting rapid exchange and he said thats all they can do for me now. The guy was very polite and all, not rude or anything, just sucks that they have changed policy midstream like this. We both figured they are getting hammered for RMA's so maybe they don't have enough units left or just want to cut costs.
Anybody here know if there's a way to get them to do a Rapid exchange still or who to call to get it done so I don't have to try and backup everything on the machine then sit here for a month waiting for another one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 4792 Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 PM

The Philips does NOT play DVD-9 disks. I just popped one in today and got an error about disc being not recognized. This disc works on my Pioneer dvd player.
post #1985 of 4792 Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Only if the source disc is copy protected.
AnyDVD's job is to remove that, nothing more.
Personally, for backing up movies I use AnyDVD
and CloneDVD2 - both from Slysoft.

I'll check out CloneDVD2.

By the way, I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports, and they recommend two Samsungs and two Panasonics over a Phillips player, and the Phillips they go with is the DVDR3475/37, not the 3505/37. Even though I have browsed this thread ad nauseum, I can't understand why this player is so sought after. Perhaps you could set me straight.
post #1986 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 01:13 AM

I was worried to hear about people having trouble with DVD9 and Verbatim +R DL discs. I just picked up a 3575/37 unit (with July 2007 date on the box if that matters). Apart from PAL discs, it has played everything I have thrown at it so far including discs with many different compressed video formats and about 10 Verbatim DLs. Of those, a few I checked in DVD identifier came up media code MKM-001.

I will probably report other findings and impressions later.
post #1987 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by karst View Post

I was worried to hear about people having trouble with DVD9 and Verbatim +R DL discs. I just picked up a 3505/37 unit (with July 2007 date on the box if that matters). Apart from PAL discs, it has played everything I have thrown at it so far including discs with many different compressed video formats and about 10 Verbatim DLs. Of those, a few I checked in DVD identifier came up media code MKM-001.

The 3505 is a different unit with its own thread, Did you mean the "3575"?
post #1988 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

The Philips does NOT play DVD-9 disks. I just popped one in today and got an error about disc being not recognized. This disc works on my Pioneer dvd player.

Was it a DVD-R DL? The 3575 manual states it only plays DVD+R DL.

Also, check the Manufacturer ID (MID) of the discs that won't play. Here's an excerpt from a review of Verbatim DL discs by jesterrace on epionions.com that tells how to ident. whether the disc are made in India, which are not recommended media:

"The bottom line is that these discs are outstanding for any application and are by far the most durable and compatible double layer media out there. As mentioned above though, you will have to watch out for the country of origin on these. I can't say for sure what the quality will be on the Indian produced Moser Baer DL Verbatims, but if their single layer media is any indication then it will leave something to be desired. Simple way to check is to look at the spindle label right below the UPC symbol. If it says MADE IN SINGAPORE=MKM (Mitsubishi Kagaku Media). If it says MADE IN INDIA=MBI (Moser Baer, Inc.). So in a nutshell look for the spindles that say MADE IN SINGAPORE."

Here's a link to the whole review.
post #1989 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:

By the way, I just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports, and they recommend two Samsungs and two Panasonics over a Phillips player, and the Phillips they go with is the DVDR3475/37, not the 3505/37. Even though I have browsed this thread ad nauseum, I can't understand why this player is so sought after. Perhaps you could set me straight.

3505/37? That's a much different unit than the 3575. So is the DVDR3475.
post #1990 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

You might want to check the article again. All the ones you quote do not have hard drives. There is a category for units with hard drives (the other two are DVD only and with and without vcrs). It says a lot that there is only one listed in the HD category which is the 3575. So your question is answered- it is sought after because it is the only one out there that is reasonably priced and has a hard drive. CU seems not to have found any others in that price range.

For any interested, CU gives both Phillips only a "good" for DVD playback and the rest get "excellent". But the scores for all of them are fairly close (71 to 77 overall), so, for what it is actually used for, which is recording where it gets an excellent, it is an great choice.
post #1991 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karst View Post

I was worried to hear about people having trouble with DVD9 and Verbatim +R DL discs. I just picked up a 3505/37 unit (with July 2007 date on the box if that matters). Apart from PAL discs, it has played everything I have thrown at it so far including discs with many different compressed video formats and about 10 Verbatim DLs. Of those, a few I checked in DVD identifier came up media code MKM-001.

Per Digitalfaq.com, a MKM-001 disc is a Mitsubushi Chemicals. It is considered 1st class media... excellent. I've no problmes at all with my 3505/37 so far with anything except using the cheapest CMC Magnetics manufactuerd discs. The only other gripe I have with it is that the digital TV sound levels are lower than the analog TV sound levels and I have to push the volume on my TV remote by 4 to 5 clicks to bring it to par. I found out that lower sound levels is normal for digital TV.
post #1992 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There are only two DVD recorders sold in the USA that
have both a digital (ATSC) tuner and a hard drive.
The Philips DVDR3575H/37 and a Polaroid model.
Of the two the Philips is considered best by far.
The DVDR3475/37 is similar, but does not have
a digital tuner.
post #1993 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

I have been unsuccessful playing either Verbatim or Memorex DVD+R DL discs (recorded by my computer's LG writer) on the Philips.

Success rate is about 80% for the Verbatim on other DVD players, about 50% for the Memorex.

There have been mixed reports in this forum. Someone else said that their MKM-003 Verbatim discs played ok.

I've owned quite a few DVD players and DVD recorders by now, and I'd say that every single one of them has been pretty erratic in what it will play and record. The computer DVD writers have generally been better than the consumer players and recorders, with the LG drives being the best of all. But overall I've given up on expecting any new DVD player or recorder to handle every type or brand of disc that I throw at it. They all fail some tests, even with disc types they are supposed to support. I'd say that's a black mark against the consumer electronics industry, that they were never establish reliable compatibility standards for recordable DVDs. Doesn't bode well for recordable HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs.
post #1994 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sometimes it can simply be a bad burn, especially with DL discs.
That's one reason I do a quality scan with one of my computer drives using Nero CD-DVD Speed on every disc I burn, whether with the computer or a stand-alone recorder.
post #1995 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought this unit yesterday and have been playing around with the basic stuff. I plan on recording a football game today. I want to record in HQ mode which will result in quite a large file considering a typical game is approx. 3 hrs. My question is how would I dub the entire game from HDD to DVD? I assume it will require at least 3 DVD's.
post #1996 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bob21 View Post

I just bought this unit yesterday and have been playing around with the basic stuff. I plan on recording a football game today. I want to record in HQ mode which will result in quite a large file considering a typical game is approx. 3 hrs. My question is how would I dub the entire game from HDD to DVD? I assume it will require at least 3 DVD's.

Yes, 3 DVDs if you don't delete anything from the live recording. Cutting commercial and halftime breaks would reduce the total time to around 2 hours (?), which would fit on 2 DVDs at HQ quality. Each DVD can hold approx. 2:09:00 at SP mode as a max. for calculating disc space.

I've test-recorded football games in all rec modes and couldn't see any diff. between HQ and SP. The main thing for quality will be the quality of the feed...the long shots of little 1-inch men running around a big field require top quality to reproduce...zoom-ins, sideline shots, etc. are always good at almost any rec mode. So, if you're recording from a digital HD channel, you might see no diff. between HQ and SP, but from a SD channel, ??? This is very subjective and also depends on Tv type and size, etc.

If you end up with one 3-hr HQ rec. on the HDD, you'll have to Divide that into three 1-hr titles. Before you Divide, and if you plan to Delete commericals etc., make sure you do the Deletes first, then Divide. Doing the reverse will cause problems. Also, if you need to cut front-matter and end-matter, check pg 64 of this thread (Posts 1907 & 1916) for procedures for doing that...it's very easy.
post #1997 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am using my DISH 622 with a DVDR3575 in a remote location from the satellite receiver. On the Phillips I will have two coaxial cable feedlines coming into it. One will be for over the air antenna and the other from the satellite receiver. Right now I have an "A-B" switch, but I want to use a splitter or combiner. Are the splitters and combiners the same or do combiners add something that splitters done have? Also, where are sone good places to buy these either locally or on line. It seems like when I go to the local stores I can find splitters, but not combiners. If it matters, the satellite is modulating on a "cable TV" channel, so a combination satellite/over the air diplexer will not work in this case.
post #1998 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Yes, 3 DVDs if you don't delete anything from the live recording. Cutting commercial and halftime breaks would reduce the total time to around 2 hours (?), which would fit on 2 DVDs at HQ quality. Each DVD can hold approx. 2:09:00 as a max. for calculating disc space.

I've test-recorded football games in all rec modes and couldn't see any diff. between HQ and SP. The main thing for quality will be the quality of the feed...the long shots of little 1-inch men running around a big field require top quality to reproduce...zoom-ins, sideline shots, etc. are always good at almost any rec mode. So, if you're recording from a digital HD channel, you might see no diff. between HQ and SP, but from a SD channel, ??? This is very subjective and also depends on Tv type and size, etc.

If you end up with one 3-hr HQ rec. on the HDD, you'll have to Divide that into three 1-hr titles. Before you Divide, and if you plan to Delete commericals etc., make sure you do the Deletes first, then Divide. Doing the reverse will cause problems. Also, if you need to cut front-matter and end-matter, check pg 64 of this thread (Posts 1907 & 1916) for procedures for doing that...it's very easy.

Thanks wabjxo. I think I need to start reading the thread from the beginning. It's just 67 pages worth is a little overwhelming. I'm sure there's a lot of great information like the posts you mentioned. When you get a new toy you just want to play right away
post #1999 of 4792 Old 09-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bob21 View Post

Thanks wabjxo. I think I need to start reading the thread from the beginning. It's just 67 pages worth is a little overwhelming. I'm sure there's a lot of great information like the posts you mentioned. When you get a new toy you just want to play right away

If you do start reading, you can skip the first couple of pages...those were pure speculation, before the unit appeared on shelves, and it was based on other, less well built Philips units.

Actually, the 3575 is so simple to use, with a well "writted" manual, you might not need to read everything. Just try some stuff and, if you run into a problem, post here and someone will help. It's a pretty active thread.

P.S. I corrected my post above about 2:09:00 fitting on a DVD...should have said at SP mode. Haven't tested HQ for max. fit but it should be half the SP max., so maybe 1:04:00???
post #2000 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

The 3505 is a different unit with its own thread, Did you mean the "3575"?

Yes, exactly, sorry about the typo.
post #2001 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 AM

This thread sure could use some management for the site. it's almost impossible to find what your looking for without reading 62 pages of postings.
post #2002 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosej View Post

This thread sure could use some management for the site. it's almost impossible to find what your looking for without reading 62 pages of postings.

Welcome to the AVS forum. You will find that once you get use to the way things are done here, it is not difficult to find what you are looking for. Generally there is a lot of speculation in the beginning of a long thread, then people buy it and start going through its features (look for the early long posts with lots of paragraphs) then others comment on their findings (long quotes of the original post and short responses). From there, you start to see the quirks of the machine and comments. Often the "problems" are actually features and what is there and what is not there and how "my Panasonic BDR 5489 could..." while the new machine is a "piece of junk" because it cannot. Then you enjoy the arguments over the features.

Sometimes the problems, like channel drop on this machine, are important and result in lots of letter writing to the manufacturer. Often, manufacturers monitor the forum to see what users think of their machines and several of the good ones fix the problems. More often, users solve the problem with either work-arounds or mechanical fixes.

More often, the poster who thinks the machine is a POJ has never read the manual and never set the machine up properly. They return them and get the same problem and can really muddy the water.

Less frequently, there are some who have vendettas against specific machines, but they tend to not join the main thread and post a separate thread like "The Panasonic BDR 5489 edit features cause cancer".

From there on you get a lot of good "How to..." that are either not documented or better than the manual. Just check the edit methods on this thread.

And with a mature thread you get the new buyers who have to be re-educated. Usually if they read the manual they would know the answer, but often manuals are written by engineers or 25 monkeys typing randomly. Both give the same result, but the monkeys generally give a better product.

Sometimes they post outside the main thread, usually because of your observation that it is too hard to look through the whole thread. They generally have not read the manual either. "How do you edit with a Panasonic BDR 5489."

Or you see the new post with the question, "Which should I buy, the Panasonic BDR 5489 or the HGV 3429?" You can get some good info from those threads. Or even more general, "Which TV should I buy?" You get entertainment from those threads.

The problem with editing a thread to "manageable" length is what do you cut out? Sometimes there are little nuggets in a seemingly trivial post. Often, someone who joins late reads it, has a eureka moment, and solves what was a nagging problem. So who judges what is important and what is not? They would have to be totally familiar with the unit and without prejudice. No such person exists.

We have the best of an impossible world here, but, through careful gleaning, you can make exceptionally informed decisions. It may require strapping on wading boots and jumping into the thread stream, but it will be worth it.
post #2003 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Use the search function to narrow down the thread.
post #2004 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I personally haven't had any experience with doing so, but would it be worthwhile and/or appropriate to create a Wikipedia entry (or something like it) for the 3575 so we can compile all of the known information in one spot? If so, we'd have a specific place to refer users regarding items that have already been addressed.

Just a thought...
post #2005 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A Wiki? Sure, assuming volunteers will populate it, but who's going to host it?
post #2006 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've had my 3575 a few months now and used it quite a bit. My opinion so far:

I use it with an external digital satellite tuner, so I have no opinion on the quality of the built-in tuner or the channel-loss issue.

It works very well for me in normal operation. I find it very easy to schedule recordings, since the user interface for that is quite well designed. I have to coordinate it manually with the satellite tuner, but no big deal.

Recording to the HDD is reliable, and the quality is excellent. I've just finished watching about 8 hours of recorded TV shows that I missed last week while travelling, and the recording was flawless throughout. I do worry that any brief power failure while I'm away would kill my carefully-planned recording schedule though.

I'm recording in SP mode from my digital satellite box via S-Video, and the quality is good enough that I don't notice any difference from live SD channels in normal viewing. While I prefer to watch a live HD channel when I have the option, the quality of recorded digital SD channels played back on my Panasonic plasma HDTV is sufficiently good that I don't feel I'm missing much when I have to time-shift.

The HDD title guide design is a bit useless - all I ever see is page after page of unlabeled black preview boxes - but since the recordings are time-ordered and date/time-stamped, it's not normally difficult to find what I want in practice.

Occasionally I edit a recording to remove lead-in/trailer and commercials, then dub to DVD+R at 4X speed. That also works well. On rare occasions I may find the lack of the normal controls in edit mode to skip to a particular time offset or chapter in the recording a bit annoying. I carefully avoid the known title-split-then-edit bug, so it's never bothered me.

DVD playback is fine. The quality may not be quite as good as the very best DVD players I've seen, but it's good enough for me. I'm upconverting via HDMI using the YCbCr setting, but there's not really much difference between running the HDMI output in 480p mode or 1080p mode since the TV's scaler is also very good. I appreciate the full set of DVD playback controls, although a few more zoom ratios might be nice.

Overall, I would still recommend it.
post #2007 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM

the best I can.

I case the local Wal-Mart for the day the DVDR3575 hit the shelf. My wife weakly supported the $298 USD + tax purchase, but my sales pitch got a half hearted OK.

I gleefully installed, using the composite cable to my 36 inch tube TV, and set it up, curious what my first personal home experience with digital TV would be like.

I decided back in '02 to ditch satalite, and cable isn't an option, giving that I live 15 miles from the closest cable drop. I found that my life was more productive, getting work done around the house, fixing up my 55' Chevy, doing my wood working, building hobby micro-controllers, and saving $50 a month in subscription fees.

Since then, I've had to learn to live with 3 primary channels, and 5 fuzzy lower power secondary stations (PBS, FOX, MNT, and two 'Jesus channels'), and when I got married, my wife felt that this was enough, and we've lived in this 1970ish condition ever since.

I turned it on, and started the channel search... waited... waited some more, and then the crispest clearest picture I've seen (since satalite) popped on the screen. I yelled for my wife, to share in the glow of the crisp digital picture from OTA digital ATSC.

To my joy, I could pick up all the same channels plus, CW, two local weather channels, PBS HD, but alas one Jesus channel was lost.

My wife couldn't grasp the potential power of recording to a hard drive, but one evening, while watch some program, our then 5 month old started crying. I calmly pushed the pause live TV button, and took care of him. We walked back and I un-paused the show, and continued, she was impressed. Then it came to a commercial, I skipped forward 30 sec a few times, and on we were, she was 100% hooked.

Now that was several months ago, and we have all our shows on time record, and if we can't sit down to watch, or need to pause, no problem. My wife proudly proclaims that she can never watch TV any other way, and have even talked about getting a second unit so she doesn't have to miss concurrent programs! (I'll probably just get a cheap stand-alone ATSC tuner).

She also insists on holding the DVDR remote, because she claims that I'm too slow on the fast forward. (I've created a monster).

Now that we've had the 3575 for 4+ months, we've become too use to it, and wish it could do things like record in the background, while we watch another show. Well we can, but we have to use the analog tuner built into the TV, and it is a painful step back.

I've never had trouble, except with the time shifting around a few min, which jacks with timed recording. I suspected the auto time setting was to blame, but I've not had time to play with it.

I would recommend it to anyone, especially with a baby!

- jam

BTW the irony of this is, I worked in TV from 1988-1991, and loved it! That is until I realized I could make more as a programmer. ;-)
post #2008 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 01:07 PM

We since my wife would never let me do anything to compromise our fine DVDR, out of curiosity, I plugged the 1394 cable into my laptop, and up popped a new hardware box for an AV/C Monitor.

I've done some minor searching, and was wondering if anyone else has traveled down this dark path?

- jam
post #2009 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I do worry that any brief power failure while I'm away would kill my carefully-planned recording schedule though.

Just last week they replace the electric meter at my home while I watched. Therefore there was no power for at least 30 seconds. My 3575 didn't lose programming, channel presets, or time (unless it reacquired it quickly).

I still plan on getting a small UPS battery backup just in case power is out for longer periods and I'm away from home.
post #2010 of 4792 Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySTL View Post

Just last week they replace the electric meter at my home while I watched. Therefore there was no power for at least 30 seconds. My 3575 didn't lose programming, channel presets, or time (unless it reacquired it quickly).

The spec in the manual is 30 seconds. I've verified that it definitely loses everything in less than a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page