Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 4792 Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloT View Post

Dagnabbit - just missed the free shipping on Amazon by waiting two days. Got busy and just went back tonight - gone! Never fails, you snooze, you lose. cpalmer2k must've gotten that last one!

Anybody using this thing for OTA with good results? How's the tuner? Same/better/worse than a (samsung, etc.) STB?

excellent OTA reception with a good antenna, ATSC tuner is good, but a bit less sharp and less vivid colours than Polaroid's DVR with ATSC. Someone way back in this thread mentioned Philips saying they were aware of analog interference affecting the digital signal quality and had a patch update planned to fix it. Haven't seen or heard anything further about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I recently purchased the philips dvdr3575h/37 recorder which has a 160 GB hard drive...It is the easiest recorder I have ever used and really pleased with it....there is one problem I cant seem to solve tho...when recording from my hard drive to a dvd I get the message "disk full"......according to the instructions I press HDD...then press title...then select dubbing....after I do this I get the message...disk full.....the way I am recording now is by pressing the HDD button and then the record button.....any help would be greatly appreciated...
post #2043 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 PM

You have erased everything on the DVD? I have two 3575 DVDRs and I have never had a problem. Mostly recording from HDD to DVD+RWs (Memorex/Verbatim/TDK) and two or three DVD+Rs.
Only time I have ever received the disk is full warning was when I first got it, and tried to record over a DVD that I had recorded on earlier. You have to erase each title separately, or just do a disc erase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by oorah View Post

I recently purchased the philips dvdr3575h/37 recorder which has a 160 GB hard drive...It is the easiest recorder I have ever used and really pleased with it....there is one problem I cant seem to solve tho...when recording from my hard drive to a dvd I get the message "disk full"......according to the instructions I press HDD...then press title...then select dubbing....after I do this I get the message...disk full.....the way I am recording now is by pressing the HDD button and then the record button.....any help would be greatly appreciated...

Could be the title is too long for the disc, for one. The way you're dubbing you might not know in advance. (I don't dub that way, so not sure.)

I'd use the Dubbing menu at the bottom of the SETUP menu. That gives you a chance to see waht's going on in advance...the rec. modes that are available for the title, the size of the title, and the available space on the disc.

What brand, speed and type is the disc?

How big is the title in time and GB, and what rec. mode?
post #2045 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Ok, I know I only read though part of this thread, but will it do Dual Layered discs? Record that is.....

Thanks,

GW

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #2046 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Ok, I know I only read though part of this thread, but will it do Dual Layered discs? Record that is.....

No it won't record DL, as clearly stated in the specifications. That's fine with me, recordable DL discs have never worked consistently well in my experience, and I'd just as soon avoid them. In fact the 3575 doesn't even like playing DVD+R DL discs.
post #2047 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

I'd use the Dubbing menu at the bottom of the SETUP menu. That gives you a chance to see waht's going on in advance...the rec. modes that are available for the title, the size of the title, and the available space on the disc.

True - the one-touch Dub button doesn't give you enough control or information about what's going to happen. Use the Setup menu Dubbing function. You can always calculate roughly yourself if a title should fit on a DVDR (e.g., < 2 hours at SP speed), but the recorder allows for an extra safety margin if it needs to re-encode the video.
post #2048 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM

I have several titles on the hard drive....I inserted a disk and was able to go to the setup menu and select dubbing and the menu came on asking what speed to dub...this happens on all but the last title I have on the hard drive..when I go to the setup and get to the part where it ask for the speed ...I get...disk is full..cannot dub to this disk...doesnt make sense why I would get this since the other titles were able to be dubbed....I didnt copy to the disk...I just wanted to see if all the titles would copy....
post #2049 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I have several titles on the hard drive....I inserted a disk and was able to go to the setup menu and select dubbing and the menu came on asking what speed to dub...this happens on all but the last title I have on the hard drive..when I go to the setup and get to the part where it ask for the speed ...I get...disk is full..cannot dub to this disk...doesnt make sense why I would get this since the other titles were able to be dubbed....I didnt copy to the disk...I just wanted to see if all the titles would copy....

Sounds as if you're either adding titles to be dubbed until it says "Disc is full" or you're sequentially dubbing one title at a time to the same disc?

If either of these are true, it's just telling you that you can't add/dub that last title to the disc.???

If you're adding titles to dub, it will tell you when the disc capacity is exceeded and you may have to delete the last title added or tried to add. In that case, the solution would be to stop before that last title and dub the rest...you may just be exceeding the capacity of the disc (4400MB).

Still a mystery, I think, exactly what you're trying to do.
post #2050 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 06:47 PM

ok...I am getting somewhere....this particular title was over two hours in length...I divided the title and the dubbing is working....so are we saying that to dub to a disk the title cannot be over two hours....or is a setting needed....when I dub to a disk I would only use the SP mode so I guess my solution is to ensure that titles are not over two hours.....
post #2051 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:

ok...I am getting somewhere....this particular title was over two hours in length...I divided the title and the dubbing is working....so are we saying that to dub to a disk the title cannot be over two hours....or is a setting needed....when I dub to a disk I would only use the SP mode so I guess my solution is to ensure that titles are not over two hours.....

Yes, 2 hours is correct (actually ~2:09:00), but only for SP mode. It's really the MB size...can't be over 4400MB.

If you look on pg 39 of the manual, the chart for "12 cm Disc" (our std discs) gives you the max amount of time in minutes for each rec mode that should be within the 4400MB capacity of a DVD disc.

Recording to the HDD doesn't have any normal time limits (12 hours continuous i think), so you can use ANY mode you want, except if you later want to dub to DVD, you'll need to keep those time limits in mind when selecting the rec mode.

As you say, if you stick to SP for most of your recording (like I do), you'll know the max you'll be able to fit on a DVD is 2 hours. Using SLP mode ups that to 6 hours. (High-speed dub is limited to ~5:20:00-5:30:00 of SLP mode stuff... over that requires real-time dub.)

Later, when needed, you can get the max quality for longer shows, like a 3-hour movie or game, by recording in SP or SPP mode and deleting commercials, etc. to get down to 4400MB or less. What you have left will be recorded at a better quality than if you just set the recorder for 3-hr-LP mode, and it will fit on a std DVD disc.
post #2052 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I returned my DVDR3575H tonight at my local Wal-Mart. I had also ordered a new one from the Site-To-Store, but I ended up returning it because it also had a May 2007 pack date. Is there anyway I can order this from Wal-Mart online and get the most recently made units?
post #2053 of 4792 Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I returned my DVDR3575H tonight at my local Wal-Mart. I had also ordered a new one from the Site-To-Store, but I ended up returning it because it also had a May 2007 pack date. Is there anyway I can order this from Wal-Mart online and get the most recently made units?

I had to check my "local" Wal-Marts by phone and ask them to check the Pack Date for me...finally found two at a store 45 miles away and the clerk put one behind the counter for me until I could get there. I got a July 2007 unit but it has the same tuning problem my April 2007 unit had, but since I have to "force" it to lose tuning by surfing madly thru the channels, it works fine in normal use...never fails to tune on first startup or for timer recording.

One of my April 2007 units is perfect in every respect on the same analog cable system, so a May 2007 unit could also be perfect, esp. if you're OTA or on digital cable...it seems to be mostly a problem for people on analog cable.

The only way now to be "assured" of getting a factory-updated unit is to call Philips with a unit that does lose digital tuning and ask for a replacement.
post #2054 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloT View Post

Dagnabbit - just missed the free shipping on Amazon by waiting two days. Got busy and just went back tonight - gone! Never fails, you snooze, you lose. cpalmer2k must've gotten that last one!

Anybody using this thing for OTA with good results? How's the tuner? Same/better/worse than a (samsung, etc.) STB?

Looks like Amazon has them back in stock with free shipping. But, the price is now $299 and shipping is three to five weeks!!

I use it for OTA and it is GREAT. Tuner pulls in all the local stations just as well as my Vizaio HDTV. Recording an HD OTA source (like CSI Miami) to the hard drive at the highest resolution sure looks like the original HD source to me! I do not have cable or satelite - so don't know how it works with them.
post #2055 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsdaleBob View Post

Looks like Amazon has them back in stock with free shipping. But, the price is now $299 and shipping is three to five weeks!!

I use it for OTA and it is GREAT. Tuner pulls in all the local stations just as well as my Vizaio HDTV. Recording an HD OTA source (like CSI Miami) to the hard drive at the highest resolution sure looks like the original HD source to me! I do not have cable or satelite - so don't know how it works with them.

Yes, I spotted that today, and perfect timing. My son and daughter-in-law just treated the old man to a nice birthday gift certificate on Amazon, so my order is now in the pipeline. I don't mind waiting a little while for this, as I do have a DVD recorder now, it just doesn't have ASTC tuner or hard drive, and I have it hooked up to a 3rd generation STB that's a little "deaf", and not all that tolerant of my DX situation. Glad to hear reports that it works well OTA, will give a subjective comparison when it comes in, FWIW.

-PhiloT
post #2056 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 07:08 PM

post #2057 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 08:40 PM
bev

On my Panasonic VCR, I used to be able to tape one program and watch another by using the VCR/TV button, like it disregarded what the VCR was doing if I wanted to watch something different on TV. I am disappointed that I can't do this on the 3575. My husband often watched what he wanted and I would watch my taped program later.

I use OTA and have a 19 year old TV with only a coaxial in. I had to buy a RF unit to get the 3575 to work. Would I be able to watch and record different programs simultaneously if I fed it through the old VCR and used the TV/VCR switch--the tuner still works fine. When I called Philips about the record/watch situation, they said I had to have 2 antennas to do that. Is there a way around this problem?

Also, I have always received ch 6 from 40 miles away perfectly fine, except now on the 3575, as an analog. I get a blue screen. Any suggestions?
post #2058 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM

bev, with your old TV and only a coax input, you're at a distinct disadvantage with a DVDR.

On the Ch. 6 thing, it can't be anything with the 3575 since the coax In/Out of the 3575 is just a pass-thru of whatever comes in on the antenna coax...you aren't seeing anything from the 3575's tuner or disc drives (HDD or DVD).

To see anything produced by or thru the 3575, you have to have a line connection from one of the 3575's line outputs to a line input on the TV. But, without a line connection on your TV, you'll have to use your VCR as the "conduit" to see the 3575's channels or shows recorded on the 3575's HDD or played on a DVD.

More complicated, but you should be able to connect the coax from antenna to the 3575, then continue the coax from the 3575 coax Out on to the VCR, then on to the TV. That will allow you to watch TV normally w/o turning the 3575 or VCR on (the VCR should also be a coax pass-thru)...whatever your antenna can receive will be passed thru the 3575 and VCR to the TV.

To then see channels from the 3575's tuner or shows on the 3575 HDD or DVD, connect a line output from the 3575 (yellow, red, white) to a line input on the VCR. When you want to watch something from the 3575 itself, you'll have to turn the VCR on and select the VCR line input you connected the 3575 to (L1, L2, etc.), which will allow the 3575 signal to continue on to the TV when you press the TY/VCR button. (If/when you get a newer TV with Line Inputs, just remove the VCR and connect directly to the TV...and your life will be simpler.)

Make sure you go to SETUP > Channel > Auto Channel Preset-Antenna once you have the 3575 connected to the antenna coax in to see what channels the 3575 can pick up.
post #2059 of 4792 Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bev View Post

On my Panasonic VCR, I used to be able to tape one program and watch another by using the VCR/TV button, like it disregarded what the VCR was doing if I wanted to watch something different on TV. I am disappointed that I can't do this on the 3575. My husband often watched what he wanted and I would watch my taped program later.

I use OTA and have a 19 year old TV with only a coaxial in. I had to buy a RF unit to get the 3575 to work. Would I be able to watch and record different programs simultaneously if I fed it through the old VCR and used the TV/VCR switch--the tuner still works fine. When I called Philips about the record/watch situation, they said I had to have 2 antennas to do that. Is there a way around this problem?

Also, I have always received ch 6 from 40 miles away perfectly fine, except now on the 3575, as an analog. I get a blue screen. Any suggestions?

There is probably an RF input on the RF unit that could be connected to the RF output of the DVDR3575. You should be able to use your TV tuner then to tune to any OTA channel, except for the one being used by the RF unit (either 3 or 4 depending on the switch setting on the RF unit).

Interestingly, I also have a problem with analog 6 on my unit. It is a very weak station, and I believe that the analog tuner in this unit is not particularly sensitive. The digital tuner seems to be quite good, and that is where the future is, so I am not particularly concerned. The analog stations will be gone in less than 2 years. If I want to record something on analog 6, I will use my VCR since the picture is going to be poor quality anyway. In my case analog 6 is a PBS station. During part of the day, they broadcast the same programming on their digital station, which the DVDR3573 gets just fine.

Is there a digital station that caries the same programing as analog 6 in your area? That would be the ideal work around.
post #2060 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 AM

I've read that this unit doesn't pass through HD programing and that is certainly what the manual says. So I just put a splitter on my coax cable coming from my antenna (a cheap one up in my attic) and run one coax cable from the splitter to my HDTV and the other to the input on my 3575. I also run a HDMI cable from the 3575 to my TV. If I want to watch an OTA show as it is being broadcast I just watch it on the HDTV by clicking "tv" on the TV's remote control. If I want to watch something I've recorded on the 3575 I just click "hdmi" on the TV's remote control. I can certainly watch one show while recording another one this way. Both the TV and the 3575 have no problem being behind the splitter. There is never any pixelation.
post #2061 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsdaleBob View Post

I've read that this unit doesn't pass through HD programing and that is certainly what the manual says. So I just put a splitter on my coax cable coming from my antenna (a cheap one up in my attic) and run one coax cable from the splitter to my HDTV and the other to the input on my 3575. I also run a HDMI cable from the 3575 to my TV. If I want to watch an OTA show as it is being broadcast I just watch it on the HDTV by clicking "tv" on the TV's remote control. If I want to watch something I've recorded on the 3575 I just click "hdmi" on the TV's remote control. I can certainly watch one show while recording another one this way. Both the TV and the 3575 have no problem being behind the splitter. There is never any pixelation.

Did you actually try setting up the 3575 1st for the antenna coax and using the pass-thru of the 3575 to continue the antenna feed on to the TV?

I've read lots of discussion and comments on our SD DVDRs "not passing thru HD" but always assumed they were talking about the tuner, which is understandable. But, since the coax in/out on the 3575 (any DVDR) is strictly like a passive, no-loss splitter, it seemed logical that whatever signal the DVDR received was just piped out thru the coax out...it doesn't see the SDTV tuner.

I finally found a HD user who hooked up his Panasonic unit and explained how the coax DOES pass thru the HD signal.

If what he says is true, there's no need for using a separate splitter that will reduce signal strength?

I think we're talking about two different (and important) things here: TUNER passthru and RAW SIGNAL passthru???
post #2062 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Did you actually try setting up the 3575 1st for the antenna coax and using the pass-thru of the 3575 to continue the antenna feed on to the TV?

I've read lots of discussion and comments on our SD DVDRs "not passing thru HD" but always assumed they were talking about the tuner, which is understandable. But, since the coax in/out on the 3575 (any DVDR) is strictly like a passive, no-loss splitter, it seemed logical that whatever signal the DVDR received was just piped out thru the coax out...it doesn't see the SDTV tuner.

I finally found a HD user who hooked up his Panasonic unit and explained how the coax DOES pass thru the HD signal.

If what he says is true, there's no need for using a separate splitter that will reduce signal strength?

I think we're talking about two different (and important) things here: TUNER passthru and RAW SIGNAL passthru???

You might be (probably are) right about this. I originally did just feed the coax from the antenna to the 3575 and had a short coax go FROM to 3575 to the HDTV. HD programing looked great that way too (when I was just passing the feed through the 3575 and using the TV's tuner). But, I could not tell for sure - so went the splitter route. Any definitive answer out there? I'd sure like to know. The manual does NOT make this clear. My signal strength seems adequate even with the splitter - but it would be more convenient not to use it.
post #2063 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Virtually all video equipment that has an RF in and out just passes the RF signal thru. Splitting the coax before the DVDr or going thru it is the same thing The pass thru is not lossless - the signal loss is about the same as the external splitter. For a digital signal it doesn't matter - you either get the signal or not - and neither an external splitter nor a DVDr pass thru will affect such a signal (in terms of the 0s and 1s in the stream - signal strength may be affected slightly differently)l. If you got HD coming in the coax it will be the same HD coming out whether via the splitter or pass thru.
post #2064 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One thing that really seems to help is using high quality satellite rated quad core cables. I found some cheap but good RG6 at Home Depot that really works and keeps signal loss low on longer runs. I think it was RCA or something but they don't have it anymore, though they sell others that seem to be made as well.
It really helped with signal dropout on digital and ghosting/noise on analog.
When I was using just whatever OLD crap I had I was dropping channels and ghosting really badly, especially the long split run to the box in here which had a hd tuner card for a while.
This is one time that better quality cable does help, from personal experience.
post #2065 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 AM

The Philips 3575/3576 "Active" (Amplified) Coax Passthru

I always wondered how much insertion loss there might be in the DVDR/VCR coax passthru connections (RF in/out loop)...knew there was "some" but had no quantifier. (Generally speaking, a good, standard 2-way splitter has a -3.7dB loss on each output, and the loss increases the more outputs you add.)

Here's a test site post where someone actually measured the loss thru a passive VCR RF loop (same as our DVDRs) and found it to be "less than 1dB" (see post by Sofie).

In fact, the post suggests it could be a net gain if the passthru is "active" which just means it has to be plugged in, not on.

It would be good to know if our DVDRs have a passive or active passthru, which would determine whether we are getting less than 1dB loss or possibly getting a net gain in RF signal!

EDIT: Answered my own question...I unplugged the power cord on my Philips 3575, off at the time, and noticed an immediate degradation in picture quality. Plugged back in and perfect pic again, 3575 still off.

If it were a passive passthru, there would be no noticeable difference in PQ. (Did the same test with my Pioneer DVR-640 and it has a passive passthru.)

The 3575's DVDR RF LOOP IS ACTIVE, AND WE'RE GETTING A LOSSLESS PASSTHRU AND PROBABLY A NET GAIN!

The amplification circuit is a 4dB amp > Low-Pass Filter (LPF) > 2dB amp.

Note: My tests were done with the Philips 3575 and the Pio 640 connected directly to a TV...no other boxes or components in between to block or amplify the effect.
post #2066 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

But if you use the "pass-through" method, in order to watch the channels on the TV tuner, doesn't the recorder have to be set to channel 3, and wouldn't that conflict (interfere) with the recordings happening simultaneously from a different (line) input from the cable box?

Or will the recorder let you watch one input live while it's recording from another?
post #2067 of 4792 Old 10-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

But if you use the "pass-through" method, in order to watch the channels on the TV tuner, doesn't the recorder have to be set to channel 3, and wouldn't that conflict (interfere) with the recordings happening simultaneously from a different (line) input from the cable box?

Or will the recorder let you watch one input live while it's recording from another?

The recorder doesn't even have to be on to watch TV normally. When you turn the recorder on, you can keep watching the same TV channel but record something on a different channel thru the recorder's tuner.

Recording from a line input is diff. since the STB and recorder tuners are both occupied, but you can still watch the HDD or a DVD show.

Passthru is the way to go, unless you have a STB that encrypts ALL the channels, then the recorder tuner is useless and need not be connected to the antenna coax.
post #2068 of 4792 Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have read through most of the posts and also looked for a specific thread but couldn't find anything. So, my question is. Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive in this unit in case the original goes bad, and has anyone tried to upgrade and put in a larger drive?
post #2069 of 4792 Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive in this unit in case the original goes bad, and has anyone tried to upgrade and put in a larger drive?

That would void the warranty, so probably nobody is going to start experimenting until the first units are more than a year old. Come back next year.
post #2070 of 4792 Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I spoke to two different people at Philips [I was amazed at how short the wait time was compared to most help lines, and how they gave me ZERO run-around] -- but anyway -- both told me that there is no current pack date that can guarantee a particular unit will not have 'the problem'. Both said the only way to have it fixed for sure was to RMA the unit to Siloam Springs -- which I did.

Note that the key word was 'guarantee'.

I don't know if what they said is true, but if the actual unit assembly is done at multiple locations, or if there are multiple versions of the board in question that may still be in inventory at even a single assembly site, this may indeed be the case. Unless they have very accurate inventory control, it could be easy for an earlier version board to wind up in a later assembled device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page