Philips DVDR3575H/37 160G HDD DVD Recorder w/ ATSC tuner - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2911 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I tried some experiments with DivX discs to see if I could see anything like the copying functions jj025 reported, but no dice. If he did see some function to copy to HDD or USB on the 3575, it must have been some kind of fluke to do with a strange DVD format. Or perhaps he's mistaken about it being a DivX disc?

BTW, I always notice a few new things when I'm experimenting or scanning the manual:

- I belatedly noticed that the Chapter +/- buttons skip to the end/beginning of the HDD title list (not mentioned in the manual). Too bad they weren't a little smarter to provide a page +/- function instead of forcing us to cursor-arrow through the titles one at a time!

- I see that HDD recordings which are flagged "Copy Once" are supposed to have a special icon that appears on the index image in the HDD title list. Has anyone ever seen that?

- Hey, the manual says that you can start overwriting an existing DVD recording at an arbitrary point in the middle of a title. Wow, a DVD recorder that can overdub existing recordings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj025 View Post

Hope I,m on the right thread my DVD recorder has DVDR3575H/31 on bottom of machine. On my remote I have 4 coloured buttons. I purchased mine December 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I tried some experiments with DivX discs to see if I could see anything like the copying functions jj025 reported, but no dice. If he did see some function to copy to HDD or USB on the 3575, it must have been some kind of fluke to do with a strange DVD format. Or perhaps he's mistaken about it being a DivX disc?

Note the model no. in jj025's post: 3575H/31, a EU/UK version.

The U.S. model is 3575H/37.
post #2913 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Ah, that explains it. The European models often have extra features or fewer copy protection restrictions than U.S. models. For example the UK model of my Panasonic plasma TV can record digital HD directly to an SD card - but that feature is removed from the firmware here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The U.S. model is 3575H/37.

Beat me to it wabjxo. I was just trying to search the Philips site to find the /31 model and found it mentioned on one page, but could never find any other links. That's because I was on the US site not the UK. I googled it and was finding it on european sites. I looked it up and sure enough his remote has some colored buttons on the 2nd row from the top.
Too bad I still have no idea how to help.
post #2915 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I would like to be able to put a new, simple menu on DVDs I have created with the Philips recorder (and get rid of the empty title) before finalizing the disc. Is there a DVD authoring software which does the basics, nothing fancy, which is free or inexpensive? Anyone here who has used what I am looking for?

Fussy Viewer
post #2916 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A milestone for this Philips 3575 thread:

The Most Viewed, Most Replied thread in DVD Recorder Forum history!

Thanks wabjxo for all your helpful posts. I've been following this thread ever since I started it and have been AMAZED about how much I can learn from other users.

I finally broke down and bought one in Oct and have no major complaints. An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!

After some initial skepticism, the 3575 has even passed the wife test. One use of that PAUSE LIVE TV button and she was sold.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful posts.....Mike
post #2917 of 4792 Old 12-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm99 View Post

Thanks wabjxo for all your helpful posts. I've been following this thread ever since I started it and have been AMAZED about how much I can learn from other users.

I finally broke down and bought one in Oct and have no major complaints. An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!

After some initial skepticism, the 3575 has even passed the wife test. One use of that PAUSE LIVE TV button and she was sold.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful posts.....Mike

HEY, MFM99... the originator of this MONSTER thread!

Just look at all the fun you started. It seems like only yesterday.

Remember the first 5 pages or so of speculation, comparing the 3575 to all the other Philips of the past? I think they got this one right!

post #2918 of 4792 Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm99 View Post

...An occasional lip-sync problem when playing from the HDD, but haven't had a chance to figure out what might cause it. Might be an issue with my TV?!?!...

I've had that problem a couple of times in the past.
It was always with recordings made from the local
PBS DTV station, so I figured it was the station and
not my 3575.
post #2919 of 4792 Old 01-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Hey All,

First, I'm glad to have made numerous contributions (mostly questions that were answered by wabxjo and others!) to this amazing thread.

Second, my unit is WORKING!!!!!!!!!

I got everything dubbed, leaving commercials in the last two shows that just would not cooperate, deleted everything off the HDD, went through the reset as described earlier, and recorded, edited and dubbed several football games. Works great! No problems at all! No red circles with a slash through it on Scene Delete!

Now, I haven't taped any 30-minute, back-to-back shows yet, but I will soon. But I haven't seen any buggy behavior at all in the past three days. I'm very encourage. So encouraged, in fact, that I went to Wal-Mart and picked up my third 3575. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

I'm so reformed that I'm dubbing shows as soon as possible, keeping the HDD empty if possible. It's pretty easy right now since I'm off work for the holidays. We'll see what happens when real life kicks back in. After what I went through, I think I will be reformed permanently!

This is only my second brand of DVD recorder. I bought a Sanyo about four years ago, and it was/is horrible. I still use it as an emergency backup (when there are 3-4 football games on at the same time), but it's just not nearly as easy to use. The menus are horrid, the features are poor, it's just not a great unit. Though it still works, so I shouldn't complain too much. But I'm really impressed with the Philips' unit. I have used my two for dozens and dozens of shows over the past three months, and other than me messing things up by filling up the HDD, they've worked beautifully. Sure, there are a few things I'd change if I could, but overall, it's a great machine. Thanks, Philips!

And I'd like to thank wabxjo for providing SO MUCH help to me and many others. Much better, more insightful support than I got from the FAQ-readers at Philips (who generally did try to help and I didn't have to sit on hold at all, so kudos to them). I'd also like to thank my parents, the Academy, and my fans, without whom none of this would be possible.

Chris
post #2920 of 4792 Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Which stores carry this philips and how much is it?
thanks
post #2921 of 4792 Old 01-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post

Which stores carry this philips and how much is it?
thanks

See this page for some links to purchase, plus lots other info.

My local Wal-Mart just had six units on the shelf, most with October 2007 pack dates, one with April 2007. Usually, they one or two and they're gone before I leave the store!
post #2922 of 4792 Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opieandy View Post

I'd also like to thank my parents, the Academy, and my fans, without whom none of this would be possible.

Chris

Well, for your gripping, real-life story of grit and determination, you deserve whatever award you've won!

post #2923 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bump.

Has anyone got this unit to work with the G-Link (like on a Samsung DLP) for one touch recording using the TV's EPG and IR Blaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post

Okay, I've had this HDD/DVD recorder for a while now, and I find that I really am not using it to anywhere close to it's potential for one primary reason: The lack of an electronic program guide that would allow me to search through the TV listings and program my shows with 1 touch...

yesterday however, I had a cool idea... I have a Samsung DLP tv that has the built in "TV GUIDE" feature that also interfaces with their "G-Link" so that you can have one touch recording of shows that you're looking at on the DLP TV Guide using your VCR. I was thinking that it'd be wicked cool if I could somehow get the Philips HDD recorder to work with Samsung's D-Link.

Unfortunately, it's been a no-go so far. I tried to program the Philips HDD recorder using the methodology that Samsung has for controlling the VCR's with their D-link and so far I've not been able to get my DVDR3575 to respond to the DLink's I/R with any of the Philips codes or with any of the "brand not listed" codes.

I am sure that if we could get this feature to work, that MANY of us would be much happier with our units!!!

(or if you can suggest a comperable unit that does have the ability to record from an on-screen guide, I'm still within my return window since I bought this unit from wal-mart).

Thanks a ton,

Trayson

post #2924 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

I doubt if it will. There aren't even any remotes out which contain the code for it yet. It's too new.
post #2925 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:

See this page for some links to purchase, plus lots other info.

My local Wal-Mart just had six units on the shelf, most with October 2007 pack dates, one with April 2007. Usually, they one or two and they're gone before I leave the store!

Wabjxo,

My sincere compliment for a very comprehensive list of features and usages. That's my idea of excellent technical writing (humorous and to the point). Are you a technology writer? Thanks for helping everybody on this forum.

I have a question about the topic "PQ for Watching TV thru the Tuner" on your list:

"I'm on Time Warner (TW) basic analog cable .......
You really don't have to try ALL the TV connection types possible in your system, it's your source that determines which type is best. HDMI is not better for watching TV in my composite system. Same for Component and S-Video. My system works better preserving my Composite feed all the way to the TV, rather than trying to split out its original, separate components (chroma, luma, sync, etc.).

For normal TV watching, OTA and satellite users should get a better pic from Component, S-Video or HDMI to their TV since their signal source is Component, not Composite like my cable feed."

Does that mean all cables transmit a Composite feed? (I also have Time Warner basic analog, my area is Southern California). Suppose I only watch TV with the TV tuner, would the Digital Composite give me any benefit with this DVDR, as far as watching recorded program or other usages?

Thanks,
MoP
post #2926 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Mop, Your system is prob. identical to mine... composite cable feed, don't know what TV type. Depending on your TV, you should get your best PQ with digital composite cables. (I notice Wal-Mart is again stocking the same RCA cables I'm using, $17.88.)

There's some discussion and references in that post you read about using digital cables even for an analog signal cuz of their superior construction and tolerances, and the loss of pic detail in trying to separate the Component elements of a signal once it's compressed into a composite feed.

I'm not advising anyone to NOT try all connections possible in their system, but from a monetary $$$ standpoint, you can narrow down the most likely candidates based on the type of TV signal you receive.

My point in selecting cable/connection types to your TV is, if you feed a composite signal thru composite cables, the original signal is preserved. If you try to send the same composite signal thru the 3575's Component connections, the 3575 then has to separate or re-configure the composite signal into its Component elements, i.e., break it apart again. According to experts and maybe even logic, there's some loss of picture detail in trying to do the separation.

On the other hand, if you feed your TV a Component video signal, like from OTA or a commercial DVD, you'll want to preserve those components by using the S-Video, Component or HDMI connections and cables. (HDMI is awesome for comm. DVDs!)

I've never seen a clearer example of this than with my new LCD TV and the 3575... I get my best tuner and HDD pic out of my composite cable feed with digital composite cables to the TV, but I get a softer pic using S-Video, Component or HDMI for tuner or HDD rec. watching.

I do get my best commercial DVD pic with HDMI. I've also got my 3575 set for YCbCr in the HDMI menu cuz comm. DVDs are produced with YCbCR. Not sure if it matters but can't argue with the results... I don't think PQ can get any better in a SDTV system!.

P.S. FYI: I did use Component cables for my Composite connections for awhile, until I found the RCA Digital AV cables at Wal-Mart, so there's no magic in cables, except for digital vs analog and for interlaced and progressive, but that's another subject.
post #2927 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Mop, Your system is prob. identical to mine... composite cable feed, don't know what TV type. Depending on your TV, you should get your best PQ with digital composite cables. (I notice Wal-Mart is again stocking the same RCA cables I'm using, $17.88.)

There's some discussion and references in that post you read about using digital cables even for an analog signal cuz of their superior construction and tolerances, and the loss of pic detail in trying to separate the Component elements of a signal once it's compressed into a composite feed.

I'm not advising anyone to NOT try all connections possible in their system, but from a monetary $$$ standpoint, you can narrow down the most likely candidates based on the type of TV signal you receive.

My point in selecting cable/connection types to your TV is, if you feed a composite signal thru composite cables, the original signal is preserved. If you try to send the same composite signal thru the 3575's Component connections, the 3575 then has to separate or re-configure the composite signal into its Component elements, i.e., break it apart again. According to experts and maybe even logic, there's some loss of picture detail in trying to do the separation.

On the other hand, if you feed your TV a Component video signal, like from OTA or a commercial DVD, you'll want to preserve those components by using the S-Video, Component or HDMI connections and cables. (HDMI is awesome for comm. DVDs!)

I've never seen a clearer example of this than with my new LCD TV and the 3575... I get my best tuner and HDD pic out of my composite cable feed with digital composite cables to the TV, but I get a softer pic using S-Video, Component or HDMI for tuner or HDD rec. watching.

I do get my best commercial DVD pic with HDMI. I've also got my 3575 set for YCbCr in the HDMI menu cuz comm. DVDs are produced with YCbCR. Not sure if it matters but can't argue with the results... I don't think PQ can get any better in a SDTV system!.

P.S. FYI: I did use Component cables for my Composite connections for awhile, until I found the RCA Digital AV cables at Wal-Mart, so there's no magic in cables, except for digital vs analog and for interlaced and progressive, but that's another subject.

Wabxjo, thanks for your explanation. Yes, it seems we have almost identical identical system I'm connecting the 3575 to a Sharp LC42D64U.

It sounds like you're connecting all these outputs from the 3575 to the LCD, and use the LCD Input selector to switch to the best type of connection depending on the source?
post #2928 of 4792 Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythofpower View Post

Wabxjo, thanks for your explanation. Yes, it seems we have almost identical identical system I'm connecting the 3575 to a Sharp LC42D64U.

It sounds like you're connecting all these outputs from the 3575 to the LCD, and use the LCD Input selector to switch to the best type of connection depending on the source?

You got it! I've only got my two best sources connected: composite and HDMI, each for a specific purpose, as explained above.

I did customize my LCD settings for the 3575... "Standard" was OK but I found a great forum for my Vizio LCD where someone had collected a bunch of settings from various users and put them in a table. I cherry-picked that table and used the most-used settings, and it worked great.

In case you haven't been there, here's the LCD forum where you might find some "best" custom settings for your LCD.
post #2929 of 4792 Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is a copy/paste of a post I made in the sticky thread...maybe I should have made it here first but I hope someone can help before I throw this thing out the window..

Oh wow...I am almost beside myself right now.

After horrible experiences with Sony, Samsung and Panasonic dvd recorders I finally coughed up the dough for a 3575H as a last ditch effort. The setup went smoothly...the PQ from the tuner rivals the quality of the internal tuner in my Panny plasma (but not quite) so I was fairly pleased until...

I tried a recording tonight.
During playback I get this bright "flashing" that almost looks like a white band about 4 inches high and extending across the length of the screen near the bottom. I switch to the tuner to see if it is something with the broadcast and I notice the same thing happening. AHA! my local Fox affiliate is having trouble with their equipment tonight! Not so fast..

I switch to the internal tuner in the tv and get none of this on the same station...switch back to the tuner on the Philips and I still have the flashing (almost like some strange menu trying to pop up) on the very same channel that is fine with the internal Panny tuner.

Any ideas? Did I miss something in setup? Is the tuner bad and I'll get to experience the customer service of yet another wonderful company?

Don't get me wrong...I am not overly picky about my electronics, and over the years most everything I have bought works like it should right out of the box...I am either going through a very unlucky phase or there is some conspiracy to keep me from simply recording tv shows that I miss.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #2930 of 4792 Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM

If you are using HDMI, make sure the DVR is set to output at 1080i unless your TV is capable of 1080p, I made that mistake once and got a weird result with a FP. I think the HDMI is defaulted to 1080p for some odd reason.

-PhiloT
post #2931 of 4792 Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloT View Post

If you are using HDMI, make sure the DVR is set to output at 1080i unless your TV is capable of 1080p, I made that mistake once and got a weird result with a FP. I think the HDMI is defaulted to 1080p for some odd reason.

My tv is 1080p....I pushed the "HDMI" button and the flashing went away. Does that button determine the resolution output?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #2932 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 AM

Yes, that button activates HDMI for first time, then each press ups the res from 480p to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Your display and the 3575 front panel should show which res your on.
post #2933 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 AM

Yup, what he said!

-PhiloT
post #2934 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Mop, Your system is prob. identical to mine... composite cable feed, don't know what TV type. Depending on your TV, you should get your best PQ with digital composite cables.

Are you saying that HD cable provides a composite signal? I have TWC and they provide component cables with their HD STBs. Or, is what you're saying only apply to SD?
post #2935 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel711 View Post

Are you saying that HD cable provides a composite signal? I have TWC and they provide component cables with their HD STBs. Or, is what you're saying only apply to SD?

No, only straight cable, no box, is composite signal and, as you said, applies to SD. With HD and a STB that separate the components, that's when you should notice a better pic via Component cables to the TV.
post #2936 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
wabjxo, I'm still a little confused about your recommendations for using a "digital" composite cable (confusion first noted when reading your otherwise stupendously wonderful FAQ). Specifically, when purchasing a composite cable, how do you distinguish a digital one from an analog version?

Looking at the BluejeansCable website here, it appears that looking for one which uses a Belden 1694a cable is one way of being sure you are getting a "digital" composite cable, correct? It's been a while since I've shopped composite cables that I didn't even know or think to look for any distinctions within that particular cable style. Composite is composite is composite. Or so I thought.

It appears that their digital audio cable is the same and as such, can be used as a digital composite video cable too, correct? They are both Belden 1694a cables using the same exact end connectors. I just so happen to have one of these digital audio cables left over from a previous audio system change, so if they are one in the same, I'll try it in my video setup for connecting my dvdr to my television for playback purposes (actually, I would be using it with the Pioneer 640H recorder I have.. I'm only researching this Philips recorder for my dad).

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #2937 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 09:00 AM

That Belden cable should be great to try. Like Blue Jeans says for that cable: "Belden 1694A "Brilliance" precision digital video coaxial cable, a 75 ohm coax engineered for low attenuation, low capacitance and tight impedance tolerance."

You can tell the diff. to a degree by the excellent construction features and cable wrapping and overwrapping... they just "look" better-made.

I found some "Digital Stereo Audio & Video Cable" RCA DT9V (9-ft cable) at my local Wal-Mart that cost $17.88.

I tried all connection types with my 3575s, starting with plain old analog dubbing cable for the composite connection. I ran across the RCAs and replaced the dubbing cables and noticed a slightly better pic.

Before I found those RCAs, I also tried Component cables (great digital construction characteristics also) for the composite connection JFTHOI, and they worked great too, but too many $$$ for a composite connection, I thought.
post #2938 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, I'll give my bluejeans cable a try then.

I've always been a bit disappointed at the picture quality sourced from my HD Tivo and copied over to my dvd recorder. I realize that it can't be HD quality, but the common refrain around here seems to be "it will look similar to dvd resolution", but it's always much softer looking to me than that. I would be thrilled if this downres'd copied content could look reasonably close to commercial dvd quality. Maybe using a digital composite cable for playback will help a little, but maybe this is too much to ask.. we'll see. I'll report back later.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #2939 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM

I'd like to hear the results. My FAQ was on the connection to your TV based on the signal source. With HD TIVO transfer/copy to the 640, don't know about that. It'll be interesting, tho.
post #2940 of 4792 Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's what I said, or meant at least, if it wasn't clear enough. For transfers/copies over from HD Tivo to my Pioneer dvdr, I'm using an s-video cable. But that wasn't what I was trying to improve. I'm trying to improve the playback image from the resulting dvd copy when playing back on the lcd hd tv. I guess maybe I should try the composite digital cable for dubbing/transfer copying as well, and see if either helps.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page