How Do You Swap the Burner on a Toshiba RD-XS35? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How do you swap the burner on a Toshiba RD-XS35? Has anyone done it successfully? What are the exact steps? What replacement burner was used?

Mine is clearly crapping out these days, giving me burns that stutter on playback on other machines, and which are so full of errors I can't rip them using Nero, DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, RipIt4Me, Alcohol 120%, DVD Fab or anything. I've tried cleaning the lens and setting a lower burning speed, which seemed to help a bit a while back, but now even that isn't helping anymore. I doubt it's the media since I only burn TYs and the occasional Verbatim.

The Toshiba RD-XS35 is a machine I otherwise love, having a bunch of sophisticated features, but why can't they put a decent burner in it, for pity's sake? In my computers, I have a Pioneer 112 which cost a measly CDN$39 and even an old Pioneer A06, and they're both excellent burners, so good burners are inexpensive and available. What was Toshiba thinking? I've seen the thread about the XS32.

So, how can I swap the burner to save this machine I otherwise love?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
plplplpl,

Check the thread (in this forum) titled "Tosh XS32 DVD burner".

Using information from this thread, I just recently replaced my DVD drive in my RD-XS32. After the swap, I was happier than a kid in a candy store. The new drive loads disks so much more quickly than the old one.

It actually now produces disks that I can play on other stand-alone DVD players! It didn't do that when it was new, I always had to copy them on my computer and burn a new disk. After the first 5 or 6 wasted DVD-R disks, I began using only DVD-RW disks in my Toshiba. After the replace, I can use a much wider variety of DVD disks that never used to work including DVD-RW 4X and DVD-R 16X.

I hope you can locate the thread, it is great.

Ron Bartyczak
post #3 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I found the thread. I guess there's a good chance the procedure would be pretty much the same on my XS35, but I was wondering if anyone has actually done it?

My second concern is finding a good drive. You mention an LG GSA-4167B, but another poster says he can't find one in Canada. I did find a few possible sources. If anyone has done an XS35 burner swap successfully, what burner was used?

Your success story rekindles my hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I believe the XS35 used the same DVD-RAM burner as the XS32 so switchout should not be an issue. If not, I still am of the opinion that the LG GSA-4167B is simply the most versatile and dependable available, whatever the Toshiba model.

Sourced mine from Micro Devices Pro. Don't know if they ship to Canada. One thing I really love about it is the access to the drives onboard open/close button right behind a front panel PCB through the tray door should you ever get a disc that locks the machine. Sometimes resetting and powering back up with a bad disc still inside won't let the unit boot properly or respond to panel /remote buttons...so off comes the case. Not with the LG.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM

The XS35 and the XS32 use different burners. More importantly, the XS35's connections are different from the XS32's. The XS35 does not use the ATAPI adapter as does the XS32.

Take a look at this thread. You will find the service manuals for the different Toshi models in Post #58. Post #57 of the thread has a picture of the burner from the XS35.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, so I guess a LG GSA-4167B wouldn't do the trick, then, would it?

So, back to my question: Has anyone ever successfully swapped out the burner on an XS35? If so, what burner was used?

If nextoo has the burner lying out on the table, did he in fact swap it?

post #7 of 21 Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not been able to swap the OEM burner for anything retail. But I haven't tried too hard. I still think it is possible but it hasn't been top of mind lately.

The XS35 has a ribbon cable that is attached directly to the OEM burner. You can see that in the linked post above. Other XS series drives use the same type ribbon cable but then also introduces a small circuit board "converter". The converter takes the ribbon cable in one side and converts it to a standard IDE connection.

Again not so with the XS35. The ribbon cable connects directly to the burner. The thought was to take one of the circuit board converters from another XS series unit and try it with the XS35 and a standard IDE retail burner. I tried it with an LG drive that works with other XS series units and it was a no go with the XS35.

So no success yet with replacing the OEM XS35 burner. I still believe it is possible but no success to date.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville - mighty Casey has struck out.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Success! OK, here's how:
  1. Be thankful you're Canadian. This step is not absolutely necessary, but the Canadian warranty is 1 year on parts and labor. Make sure you register your product.
  2. Call Toshiba Canada. Explain that the burner is dying. They will prompty issue you an authorization to take it in to one of their service centers. Do so right away.
  3. Regret being Canadian. Canadian service centers are apparently the last stop for the slow boat from Tokyo with replacement parts. Call every week. Wait THREE FREAKING MONTHS.
  4. Pick up unit when ready. Take it home. Test it. It should work.

Speaking with the tech, I found out the part number for the burner is P000459010. A quick google reveals that this is also the burner used in the D-R5, as seen on page 30 of its service manual. It's also apparently available here, for $194.80.

Of course, I would have rather just swapped out the burner myself, if I could have found a reasonably priced one that's confirmed to work in an XS35, but at least this otherwise great machine is operational once again. I never thought I'd be so happy to once again hear the dulcet purring of its always-on fan.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

How do you swap the burner on a Toshiba RD-XS35? Has anyone done it successfully? What are the exact steps? What replacement burner was used?

Mine is clearly crapping out these days, giving me burns that stutter on playback on other machines, and which are so full of errors I can't rip them using Nero, DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink, RipIt4Me, Alcohol 120%, DVD Fab or anything. I've tried cleaning the lens and setting a lower burning speed, which seemed to help a bit a while back, but now even that isn't helping anymore. I doubt it's the media since I only burn TYs and the occasional Verbatim.

The Toshiba RD-XS35 is a machine I otherwise love, having a bunch of sophisticated features, but why can't they put a decent burner in it, for pity's sake? In my computers, I have a Pioneer 112 which cost a measly CDN$39 and even an old Pioneer A06, and they're both excellent burners, so good burners are inexpensive and available. What was Toshiba thinking? I've seen the thread about the XS32.

So, how can I swap the burner to save this machine I otherwise love?

You can NOT use any other type of DVD Drive in the RD-XS35. The part number is P000459010 and it costs about 208.44 total tax and shipping included from partstore.com
That is the ONLY place that I have found that has it. I just ordered mine so I haven't installed one yet but it looks like all that you need to do is take the cover off the machine (7 screws), take out the 5 screws that hold the drive and cover in place, unplug the drive in 2 places and do the install of the new drive in reverse.
Make sure that the machine is unplugged and that you are grounded with a grounding strap. As I said before You CAN NOT use any other Drive because the connections are totally different in the RD-XS35.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey guys,

thanks to this forum, I just swapped out my dvd burner on my RD-XS35, and it was a SNAP!!! I took the burner out of Toshiba DR5, which uses the exact same burner.

thanks, Doug
post #12 of 21 Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Speaking with the tech, I found out the part number for the burner is P000459010. A quick google reveals that this is also the burner used in the D-R5, as seen on page 30 of its service manual. It's also apparently available here, for $194.80.

Of course, I would have rather just swapped out the burner myself, if I could have found a reasonably priced one that's confirmed to work in an XS35, but at least this otherwise great machine is operational once again. I never thought I'd be so happy to once again hear the dulcet purring of its always-on fan.

Hey, great! Glad to hear you succeeded. So where did you get your D-R5, an Ebay parts machine or something?
post #13 of 21 Old 12-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Hey, great! Glad to hear you succeeded. So where did you get your D-R5, an Ebay parts machine or something? "

yeah, a few months ago, there was a guy selling DR-5's on e-bay for $50.00 or so each. I bought one in advance just for this purpose. The wires just pull out, a couple screws and your'e done. Toshiba wanted $145.00 for the job, which is still reasonable.

Doug
post #14 of 21 Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 336
$83.95 for refurbished D-R5's at WGBD's
If a D-RW2 would work they have those for $43.95
post #15 of 21 Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks jjeff, but WGBD should rename themselves WTOoS (We're Temporarily Out Of Stock). Often I find whenever you actually click on Add to Cart, that's the message you get.

http://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/tosh...hed-p-681.html

http://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/tosh...ed-p-1870.html

http://www.wegotbetterdeals.com/tosh...hed-p-700.html
post #16 of 21 Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I see what you mean I knew the XS Toshibas would go out of stock but I didn't realize the rest would also I'll try and put a item in my cart before I post any links for WGBDs anymore
edit: That site is pathetic, out of the 16 DVDRs they have listed only 3 are in stock! I might check back later but for now they sure don't have much.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Did anyone try and have success to swap a proprietary dvd burner inside RD-XS35 (same as inside RD-XS55) with any retail PC burner (even with using extra power cables, etc.)?
I do not mind loosing CD readiblity, but I am looking for any burner that support DVD-RAM writing and reading. Clearly, I missed time to buy DR5 recorders for spare parts.

My RD-XS55 decided not to recognize/read any DVDs anymore. Unplugging unit for couple hours did not help, too.

I am getting either a message "Disc is empty" or "Check the disc, it might be dirty or physically damaged." (even for pressed Hollywood movie DVDs). Both messages are usually signs of a dvd burner getting bad.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, and as you can see above, mine was a long and painful ordeal. The only thing I can suggest is this (at least they've come down a bit - from $194.80 to $113.64): http://www.partstore.com/Model/Toshi...ba/RDXS55.aspx
post #19 of 21 Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the link. After my post, I searched and found the exactly same website. I decided to give it a try. It's not the price of retail burners or pull-outs from DR5 on eBay, but at least its price is more affordable now (and compare to a Toshiba center repair fee.)

While waiting for a replacement burner, I also cleaned the hub and lenses on the old original burner, but no success. (I already had the same problem with RD-XS54 almost 2 years ago, lenses cleaning did not remedy the "no read" problem. The only solution was a pull-out burner from another unit bought on eBay.)
While I used heavily RD-XS54 burner, I barely used the dvd drive inside RD-XS55, so it was little bit a surprise for me that it failed. Toshiba made a great features on their units, but dvd burners seems to be an expensive "junk" !!!

I received the new burner - DAV-WR542-kit from partstore.com yesterday, and I installed it today. However, after installation of a new burner, I am receiving the exactly same error messages:
"Check the disk, it might be damage physically or require cleaning." when I put a blank DVD-R or DVD-RAM media or
"Disc is empty" when I put a pressed Hollywood DVDs.

Are there any special settings that are needed to be done after the installation of a new burner? Or did I receive the burner DOA? I do not remember doing any special settings on RD-XS54 after a burner swap (it was an easy unplug & plug procedure), but it was not a proprietary burner as it is in RD-XS55 or XS35 models.

The new DAV-WR542 burner was made in Sep 2006 while the original burner inside the unit was made in April 2006. The software version is "2100" (as the original.) Could the "time" on the shelf affect the laser "aging" (based on the burner sticker, it was on the shelf for over 4 & 1/2 years)?

I am puzzled. Is it normal to receive the burner DOA from parts store online sellers?
post #20 of 21 Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 PM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got one of these the other day.

It looked too unused and too new to have any problems.

So I decided to strip it down and find out what the heck was going on. I figured some of the capacitors had dried out, and decided to do an circuit analysis of the power supply and connectivity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, it is a design error.

The power supply does not have enough of a level of high quality buffer capacitance on the power supply board.

It MUST have that, in order to deliver the micro-transient current draw that happens thousands upon thousands of times per second. The lines area also too long, too far away from the power supply.

when you add the long power lines up, with the aging of the small undersized buffer capacitors, with the lack of proper size of buffer capacitors, you get a recipe for failure, in a very short period of time.

Oh yes, it will work fine when new, but..it is only a matter of time.

This is apparently the modern way, with all this modern digital equipment. Things that are specifically under-designed, designed to fail, designed like a fuse, to make you throw away the equipment, after a certain amount of time.

The LCD tv's are the worst for this lying thieving garbage trickery. They save a total of a dollar or three, at best, but your TV lasts about two to three years less for it.

In this case, with this Toshiba DVR, I went into the power supply, and swapped out capacitors C461 and C202, which are 33uf/35V capacitors. I put in 330uf 35V Panasonic FM series capacitors.

The unit fired right up and now has zero issues.

Essentially, it would read CD's and play them perfectly, but would not recognize any DVD's.

Once those capacitors were changed out, it then worked perfectly.

To clarify, this the Toshiba RD-XS35 DVD HDD burner/player, from 2006-2007.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #21 of 21 Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Liked: 0
Thumbs down Not necessarily the capacitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post

Well, it is a design error.

The power supply does not have enough of a level of high quality buffer capacitance on the power supply board.

In this case, with this Toshiba DVR, I went into the power supply, and swapped out capacitors C461 and C202, which are 33uf/35V capacitors. I put in 330uf 35V Panasonic FM series capacitors.

The unit fired right up and now has zero issues.

Essentially, it would read CD's and play them perfectly, but would not recognize any DVD's.

Once those capacitors were changed out, it then worked perfectly.
Just an FYI. I tried this capacitor mod and it made no difference on my XS35. It actually does a better job of reading DVDs than CDs, but it's still flaky. Sometimes it recognizes the disk, sometimes not. The existing capacitors measured fine by the way, so it wasn't a case of dried out capacitors on the power supply (in my case).

Too bad, because these units are great in terms of features and picture quality. If anyone has a viable repair solution I'd love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page