Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1005Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3721 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
If you have other cables, try some normal stuff that froze before with HDMI disconnected from both TV and 3576.

My HDMI does weird things at times with one of my 3575's where at Auto Clock check time, it turns the TV ON.... whoooeeee, Poltergeist!

Anyway, Samsungs seem to have their own "weird" problems at times when using HDMI. The HDMI obviously "talks" to the attached devices and the 3575/3576/2160 and prob. all DVDRs have onboard FW that "reads" the display characteristics when connected via HDMI... see SKIP 789 here.
7558037 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3722 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

I've posted this before, but I thought I'd provide an update.

After several weeks of recording on my Magnavox 2160, I have never received the copy-once copy protection flag on any recorded program, unlike my Philips 3576 on which NBC, CBS and FOX programs were frequently flagged copy once.



Do you still have the Philips '76, or did you bring it back before getting the Maggie?
gastrof is offline  
post #3723 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Newbie
 
rills6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=wajo;15880350]If you have other cables, try some normal stuff that froze before with HDMI disconnected from both TV and 3576.

My HDMI does weird things at times with one of my 3575's where at Auto Clock check time, it turns the TV ON.... whoooeeee, Poltergeist!


Thanks for the quick reply wajo - your contributions provide an incredible guide for this product.

I'll of course try your suggestion to disconnect the HDMI cable. However, this problem will often happen when the TV is off. It seems peculiar that the HDMI would interfere with recording in this case.
rills6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3724 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rills6 View Post

I'll of course try your suggestion to disconnect the HDMI cable. However, this problem will often happen when the TV is off. It seems peculiar that the HDMI would interfere with recording in this case.

I agree it's a long-shot, but since my 3575 can POWER MY TV ON when it's not needed (for a time check).... whoooeeee!? Needless to say, I unplugged my HDMI today cuz it did it two nights in a row at midnight.

Also, the most obvious thing, a HDD that's too full doesn't apply here cuz you formatted it... wiped it clean.

Only other thing that'll throw an E40 is timer overlap or non-starting, as describedat bottom of page here.
7558037 is offline  
post #3725 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It sure seems to me that there is something lots of "problematic machines" have in common, use of the HDMI connection. I do not use the HDMI connections, even though a number of my machines and TVs "support" this technology. I do not have the types of problems others mention in the same breath as "HDMI." Might this lead one to ask how well these machines actually "support" HDMI technology?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #3726 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,302
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 326
HDMI is nice when it works, it's able to turn my TV on when I hit PLAY on my DVDRs/DVD players and automatically switch to the correct input. The TV is also able to turn the DVDR or DVD player OFF when I turn OFF my TV. Occasionally it gets screwy and requires a power cycle to clear things but overall I like it. I really don't notice a PQ difference between HDMI and Component though.
jjeff is offline  
post #3727 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Kansas_Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

My HDMI does weird things at times with one of my 3575's where at Auto Clock check time, it turns the TV ON.... whoooeeee, Poltergeist!

Things like this I'd bet are the reason that the Maggie 2160A has the added option to turn HDMI control off.
Kansas_Tom is offline  
post #3728 of 27904 Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Member
 
stump69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane-XY View Post

I have the Phillips 3575 (love that machine), and I have yet to get any kind of "copy once" or "copyguard" message when I try to record something from network Prime Time TV.

The only time I get any kind of "recording error" message is when I try to copy from a store bought DVD (like from Blockbuster or the public library). Obviously those are all copy protected and I would not expect my Phillips to co-operate.


I'm in the market to buy the Maggy 2160, but it had better not have any network TV copy protection. Otherwise, I will just go in a different direction.

(BTW, my source for OTA network locals is Direct TV).

I have both the 2160 and the 3575 and have not encountered a copy-once flag on either machine during HDD>DVD dubbing to DVD+RW from network prime time recordings via Comcast cable (no STB).
stump69 is offline  
post #3729 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Newbie
 
rickd24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Yeah, what I was trying to say is that it's no longer cycling back and forth. If you look further down in that post, I mention the Magnavox Ship to Home service is $6.47...assuming they come back in stock.

Keep in mind, I don't think ANYONE was able to successfully place an order for a Magnavox during this round of cycling (the past couple of days). If, for some reason, you get one in your shopping cart and it does NOT say Not available at this time below the item listing, you're not necessarily home free yet. When you click the link to pay, sometimes it will go back to saying your item is no longer available. The "trick" a few buyers discovered if you get that far is to buy with Paypal. It makes absolutely no sense, but it worked where others were being denied when purchasing with a credit card.

I'm glad I didn't experience this problem when I bought mine because I don't have a Paypal account. And, by the time it would've taken me to set one up, I would have missed out because I got the last Magnavox at the time (sold out in less than 3 hours back when they were $239.98 each). Yes, it can be that hard and frustrating to get one at times. So, Rick, you may have spent $50 more (for the Philips), but you saved yourself a potential headache...that's for sure. If this is your first dvd recorder (as it was mine), you are really going to enjoy it. I guarantee it.

EDIT: Rick - If you don't mind, please come back and let us know what the manufacturing date is on that Philips when you get it. It should be located on the backside.

Actually, it's my 2nd. I've been using a Panasonic DMR-E95 for almost 4 years, and I've been very happy with it. But when I read about this one, I thought it was time to upgrade, especially since it looks like these DVDR's with HDD are getting scarce. Well, they've always been scarce, I guess.

Anyway, I got it today. As I noted in my first post, I was finally able to order it at walmart.com Thursday morning. I went over to the real Wal-Mart Saturday to buy an HDMI cable, among other things. And to my pleasant surprise, there were 4 3576's on the shelf! Even though walmart.com said that there weren't any in stock within 100 miles of here. Needless to say, I didn't wait for the one I ordered to be delivered. I couldn't cancel the order, but I can return it unopened. They can use it to replace the one I bought, I guess.

You asked when it was manufactured - it says Dec 2008.
rickd24 is offline  
post #3730 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Newbie
 
codybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone bought one online in the last couple of days? I figured I'd buy the phillips and see if the magnavox becomes available, but I can't get walmart to process either of two credit cards and even paypal failed even though I received an email from paypal about the transaction. Of course, being Sunday, nothing will probably happen till tomorrow and will any be remaining?
codybear is offline  
post #3731 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Newbie
 
codybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good news, finally got my order to go through. Problem is with the credit card company, but I still don't know why I get an email from paypal authorizing credit to Walmart and then Walmart declines.

Anyway, at least have one nearly in the hand. Won't open until I've given up getting a magnavox. I know there is not much of a difference, but this is for my mom and she needs CC and I believe the magnavox has the choice of picking up digital CC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
codybear is offline  
post #3732 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

Good news, finally got my order to go through. Problem is with the credit card company, but I still don't know why I get an email from paypal authorizing credit to Walmart and then Walmart declines.

Anyway, at least have one nearly in the hand. Won't open until I've given up getting a magnavox. I know there is not much of a difference, but this is for my mom and she needs CC and I believe the magnavox has the choice of picking up digital CC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Both the 3576 and 2160 will SHOW digital CC live, but only the 2160 will RECORD it. The only drawback is that the digital CC become a permanent part of the reording, so cant turn them off like analog CC, but to a hearing-impaired, don't suppose that makes a difference?
7558037 is offline  
post #3733 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
SteelTownGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd24 View Post

...to my pleasant surprise, there were 4 3576's on the shelf! Even though walmart.com said that there weren't any in stock within 100 miles of here. Needless to say, I didn't wait for the one I ordered to be delivered. I couldn't cancel the order, but I can return it unopened. They can use it to replace the one I bought, I guess.

You asked when it was manufactured - it says Dec 2008.

Wow! Dec 2008 puts your Philips at the same age as the Magnavox I bought 1 month ago. I'm surprised to see you snag such a recent date considering the announcement that Philips will stop producing sometime this year. It looks like production might be ramping up as they prepare to shut things down for good (with demand continuing to exceed supply).

If I had to guess (and judging from what others on AVS have said), I'd say the product life cycle saw spikes in demand at the beginning and at the end with a lull for the years in between. Philips probably saw no reason to extend the lull period where profitability drops off by continuing to produce them.

As for finding 4 on the shelf...first of all, shame on walmart's inventory management. Can I say I'm surprised? After what we've seen the past couple of months at walmart.com (cycling in and out of stock problems), I'm not. I know when I looked them up in half a dozen zip codes spread across the country (where I have relatives living who could've bought one and shipped it to me), I never found any located within 100 miles either. Perhaps they were sitting on the shelf all along.

I really didn't expect one of the world's largest corporations to not be able to track thier inventory effectively. The disconnect must lie between the B&M organization and the walmart.com unit. Here's just another example. Someone bought items off a gift registry that wound up being duplicates because we forgot to update the registry. We pick up the items at Site to Store, then go to customer service. For quite awhile, three different associates attempted to issue gift cards for the duplicate items. The hangup? Since the B&M store did not stock the items we were returning, they were having a hard time with the transaction. We were told walmart.com "is like a separate entity" as if getting the dollars lost by the B&M store issuing a gift card sent back to walmart.com for a credit was terribly difficult. In the end, we got our gift card, but it sheds some light on the disconnect. Save yourself the major headache and just have the charge reversed on your credit card (unless, of course, you get it as a gift).
SteelTownGuy is offline  
post #3734 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Newbie
 
codybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Both the 3576 and 2160 will SHOW digital CC live, but only the 2160 will RECORD it.

When the analog gets turned off in June, will CC only be digital? Just verifying if my mom wants to record to the HDD, if she really needs the magnavox or if the phillips I'm purchasing is going to work for her.

Thanks
codybear is offline  
post #3735 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

When the analog gets turned off in June, will CC only be digital? Just verifying if my mom wants to record to the HDD, if she really needs the magnavox or if the phillips I'm purchasing is going to work for her.

Presumably so, but *only* for people who receive their TV via antenna? For "future-proofing" I suppose the 2160 would be a better choice IF your mother really *needs* digital CC... i.e., isn't just something she'd "like to have as an option" as many people do so they can "occasionally" be on the phone and still keep watching a program and not miss anything.

Here's some addtl info you really don't have to read.

IMO, people on cable might *eventually* see their cableco go to a pure digital signal, but then cablecos have been cheating subscribers for awhile now by charging for a "digital tier" when they're actually sending an analog signal, as described here.

So, sending analog via "digital" cable seems like a "good deal" for cablecos when they can charge you more and STILL send an analog signal... seems like something the cablecos might like to keep doing, at least for awhile, esp. when they can TELL you they're going all-digital so you need to rent their box, and then possibly STILL keep sending an analog signal? This is just like now they tell new subs they need the box to see anything... no digital channels included... when they HAVE TO keep sending all the local channels you can receive via antenna in-the-clear (unscrambled).

There are many refs to the FCC reg/rule that requires cablecos to NOT scramble local channels that you can receive OTA, which includes the four major networks.

On that subject, here's what I posted in another thread:
Here's a GeekBeat article that discusses this and more, with this part of special interest:

"If you just want basic cable and don’t want to pay for premium channels or digital service, you can tune in the same channels available via OTA HD over an analog cable connection. All you need is a TV that is able to tune in QAM256-based cable channels (which is the standard used by most U.S. cable carriers); most TVs with a CableCard have a QAM256 tuner built-in. Thanks to a FCC provision that requires cable carriers to offer local OTA HD channels unscrambled, you can get the absolute cheapest analog service your cable company provides and still get the Big Four’s HDTV shows."

(Note" the article is just talking about TVs, so cable cards and all don't apply to our DVDRs' ability to tune HD OTA channels they have to keep unscrambled.)

I get the HD versions of CBS, NBC, FOX and soon-to-be-added ABC in my basic (analog) cable sub., and those provide virtually 100% of what I record with my Philips 3575's and Mag 2160 on a daily basis.

I also receive 47 analog channels PLUS digital Discovery-HD, TNT-HD, TBS-HD, ESPN-HD, and ESPN2-HD.... AND I WOULDN'T TRADE ANY OF MY DIGITAL CHANNELS FOR ANOTHER 47 ANALOG CHANNELS!
7558037 is offline  
post #3736 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Newbie
 
codybear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Presumably so, but *only* for people who receive their TV via antenna? For "future-proofing" I suppose the 2160 would be a better choice IF your mother really *needs* digital CC... i.e., isn't just something she'd "like to have as an option" as many people do so they can "occasionally" be on the phone and still keep watching a program and not miss anything.

Yes, she is still getting her signals via antenna. So it sounds that she will be out of luck in June with the phillips as the CC is a necessity. Bummer, I was hoping that the CC wasn't going to be a problem. For her, it kind of defeats the purpose of watching recorded TV if she can't hear it.

Haven't decided if I should cancel my phillips or at least go and pick it up and have it. But it really doesn't make sense to get it if she will not be able to record CC after June.
codybear is offline  
post #3737 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

Yes, she is still getting her signals via antenna. So it sounds that she will be out of luck in June with the phillips as the CC is a necessity. Bummer, I was hoping that the CC wasn't going to be a problem. For her, it kind of defeats the purpose of watching recorded TV if she can't hear it.

Haven't decided if I should cancel my phillips or at least go and pick it up and have it. But it really doesn't make sense to get it if she will not be able to record CC after June.

One more thing to consider: they're trying to get TVGOS sorted out for the digital transition and I've read some anecdotes about how they *might* continue to send analog TVGOS via a separate channel, or some such.

I suppose it's always possible they might also decide that so many people rely on CC that will still have analog equipment that they should include analog CC as well? Of course, the two, TVGOS and analog CC, may be completely diff. issues that can't be co-mingled... analog CC now currently in the VBI (spaces) between fields of an interlaced signal... just a very uncertain future all around.
7558037 is offline  
post #3738 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
rills6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rills6 View Post

I have a refurbished 3576 (30 days use for me) that periodically locks-up during recording to HDD (both timer and instant recording). The unit is totally non-responsive when this happens - blue light remains on, record time is stuck at the freeze point, remote is not active. The only button that sometimes responds is the DVD open/close, otherwise I have had to unplug the unit. On time recordings, I sometimes will get an E40 error code on the Timer Menu. This seems to happen on both digital and standard signals. My set-up is pretty basic: standard cable - plugged directly from the wall to the 3576, pass-thru cable to Samsung LCD, HDMI connection between 3576 and TV. I have tried both the "Skip 079" self-test and reformat.

I have initiated a return, but would really like to figure out a fix and keep the unit. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Geoff.

Well, I tired connecting the 3576 with video/audio cables instead of the HDMI. Unfortunately, the unit will still periodically freeze. I've already tired the "Skip 079" check and reformat procedure, so I'm not sure what else to try. The unit dubs to DVD without a problem, but I've never recorded straight to DVD. I suppose I should try recording to DVD and see if the unit freezes in this mode.

Does this sound like a bad HDD? My dilema now is to return, or try a replacement HDD. Now that Walmart has supply, I'm leaning toward the rerturn.
rills6 is offline  
post #3739 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rills6 View Post

Well, I tired connecting the 3576 with video/audio cables instead of the HDMI. Unfortunately, the unit will still periodically freeze. I've already tired the "Skip 079" check and reformat procedure, so I'm not sure what else to try. The unit dubs to DVD without a problem, but I've never recorded straight to DVD. I suppose I should try recording to DVD and see if the unit freezes in this mode.

Does this sound like a bad HDD? My dilema now is to return, or try a replacement HDD. Now that Walmart has supply, I'm leaning toward the rerturn.

Return it ASAP
auskck is offline  
post #3740 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rills6 View Post

Well, I tired connecting the 3576 with video/audio cables instead of the HDMI. Unfortunately, the unit will still periodically freeze.

What's the mfg date on the back?
7558037 is offline  
post #3741 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI:There is a way to record CC on the 3575/3576. Use the government coupon and get a Digital Receiver that can turn CC on. Then hook up the receiver to the DVR with SVideo/Composite and audio. Set the DTB receiver to turn on CC and record. The CC and video are now combined into video. This can also work with a Cable box that can turn CC on/off
HDD and DVD recording will contain the CC information
auskck is offline  
post #3742 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

Yes, she is still getting her signals via antenna. So it sounds that she will be out of luck in June with the phillips as the CC is a necessity. Bummer, I was hoping that the CC wasn't going to be a problem. For her, it kind of defeats the purpose of watching recorded TV if she can't hear it.

Haven't decided if I should cancel my phillips or at least go and pick it up and have it. But it really doesn't make sense to get it if she will not be able to record CC after June.

See post #3761
auskck is offline  
post #3743 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
dmulvany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rockville, Maryland and Sausalito, CA
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post


I suppose it's always possible they might also decide that so many people rely on CC that will still have analog equipment that they should include analog CC as well? Of course, the two, TVGOS and analog CC, may be completely diff. issues that can't be co-mingled... analog CC now currently in the VBI (spaces) between fields of an interlaced signal... just a very uncertain future all around.

It's unclear to me if the Philips and Magnavox devices are unable to decode/display captions from DVDs or recordings from the HDD. If they can only decode closed captions from live TV, then they're not well designed for people with hearing loss. They should have been designed to decode closed captions from recordings made to the HDD or the DVD; the Panasonic DVD recorders are able to do that. It's not good enough just to pass through the CEA-608 closed caption data (which can't be done via HDMI) or to decode CEA-708 caption data before the recordings are made. HDTVs may not necessarily decode NTSC (line 21) CEA-608 closed caption data; some of the Samsung HDTVs don't do so.

The FCC expects TV stations to broadcast both CEA-608 (analog-style) and CEA-708 (advanced) caption data for non-exempt programming. However, the FCC apparently may not have required digital tuners to decode CEA-608 caption data! Those TVs that have both digital and analog tuners will need to have the ability to decode both types of caption data, however.

Wajo, I had sent a long, informative posting in reply to your posting about CCs, but I don't see it anywhere. Is it held up in a moderator's queue somewhere?

Dana
dmulvany is offline  
post #3744 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulvany View Post

It's unclear to me if the Philips and Magnavox devices are unable to decode/display captions from DVDs or recordings from the HDD. If they can only decode closed captions from live TV, then they're not well designed for people with hearing loss. They should have been designed to decode closed captions from recordings made to the HDD or the DVD; the Panasonic DVD recorders are able to do that. It's not good enough just to pass through the CEA-608 closed caption data (which can't be done via HDMI) or to decode CEA-708 caption data before the recordings are made. HDTVs may not necessarily decode NTSC (line 21) CEA-608 closed caption data; some of the Samsung HDTVs don't do so.

The FCC expects TV stations to broadcast both CEA-608 (analog-style) and CEA-708 (advanced) caption data for non-exempt programming. However, the FCC apparently may not have required digital tuners to decode CEA-608 caption data! Those TVs that have both digital and analog tuners will need to have the ability to decode both types of caption data, however.

Wajo, I had sent a long, informative posting in reply to your posting about CCs, but I don't see it anywhere. Is it held up in a moderator's queue somewhere?

Dana

Work around, See post #3761
auskck is offline  
post #3745 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Newbie
 
Southerner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am new to this forum for you guys.. but I had been on this forum for long.

I used to use LVW5045 Liteon HDD its dvd recorder died. So I looked for a replacement and eventually i bought H2160MW9. MFG date is Sept. 2008 from back.

I have few questions about the unit.

1. I tried V.Skip 079 exactly like it is given on the forum help. Nothing worked.

Here is what I did. Power down the unit. Cable removed from power source. Then cable replaced back. Powered it up. Even though it was set for HDD, I hit HDD button, then V.SKIP button then hit 0,7,9 one at a time in that sequence.

Nothing happened. I tried 10 time or more. Nothing. I tried it different ways. No success. I tried other codes lik V.SKip 123 etc. Nothing works.

----now, I power it up, then Magnavox screen is displayed on the TV. That lasts for 3 seconds. I complete my code well before it. Still not working.

Any help?

Also HDMI video is horrible on this unit. I am ok with RGB video cable/Comp. Any one experienced same about HDMI?

Also I have 3-4 Segate 160GB HDD 7200.7, 1 Maxtor 200GB, 1 Segate Baracuda 400GB .10version.

I would like to be able to replace HDD as I have plenty of them in spare.
Also I hope I can see the firmware version/HDD initialization.

oh yea..what kinda format HDD has? FAT32? NTFS? Linux FAT32? or some else? When I put my HDD from the unit in my winxp computer, it showed me hard drive has free space and nofiles on it. After that I put the HDD back in the unit and I was able to play videos I recoded on it.

Please help..?

I love the HDTV recorded on HDD. I recorded Superbowl.. it was decent copy..I am going to buy Phillips 3576 from walmart. Price is 298.94 or something today. But I am hearing they are coming with a newer model in Apr 2009?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Southerner is offline  
post #3746 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post

Hi,

I am new to this forum for you guys.. but I had been on this forum for long.

I used to use LVW5045 Liteon HDD its dvd recorder died. So I looked for a replacement and eventually i bought H2160MW9. MFG date is Sept. 2008 from back.

I have few questions about the unit.

1. I tried V.Skip 079 exactly like it is given on the forum help. Nothing worked.

Here is what I did. Power down the unit. Cable removed from power source. Then cable replaced back. Powered it up. Even though it was set for HDD, I hit HDD button, then V.SKIP button then hit 0,7,9 one at a time in that sequence.

Nothing happened. I tried 10 time or more. Nothing. I tried it different ways. No success. I tried other codes lik V.SKip 123 etc. Nothing works.

----now, I power it up, then Magnavox screen is displayed on the TV. That lasts for 3 seconds. I complete my code well before it. Still not working.

Any help?

Also HDMI video is horrible on this unit. I am ok with RGB video cable/Comp. Any one experienced same about HDMI?

Also I have 3-4 Segate 160GB HDD 7200.7, 1 Maxtor 200GB, 1 Segate Baracuda 400GB .10version.

I would like to be able to replace HDD as I have plenty of them in spare.
Also I hope I can see the firmware version/HDD initialization.

oh yea..what kinda format HDD has? FAT32? NTFS? Linux FAT32? or some else? When I put my HDD from the unit in my winxp computer, it showed me hard drive has free space and nofiles on it. After that I put the HDD back in the unit and I was able to play videos I recoded on it.

Please help..?

I love the HDTV recorded on HDD. I recorded Superbowl.. it was decent copy..I am going to buy Phillips 3576 from walmart. Price is 298.94 or something today. But I am hearing they are coming with a newer model in Apr 2009?

Thanks for any help in advance.


Most all DVR HDD are Linux formatted. Check batteries in the remote. And where are you getting your information about a new release?
auskck is offline  
post #3747 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Member
 
dmulvany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rockville, Maryland and Sausalito, CA
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post

Yes, she is still getting her signals via antenna. So it sounds that she will be out of luck in June with the phillips as the CC is a necessity. Bummer, I was hoping that the CC wasn't going to be a problem. For her, it kind of defeats the purpose of watching recorded TV if she can't hear it.

Haven't decided if I should cancel my phillips or at least go and pick it up and have it. But it really doesn't make sense to get it if she will not be able to record CC after June.

Analog-style caption data (ATSC CEA-608) will be required for non-exempt digital television programming, and most should also have advanced caption data (ATSC CEA-708).

However, the Philips devices may not be a good solution for people who need captioning if those devices don't decode caption data themselves and if they don't pass caption data via component video cables. Caption users would have to sacrifice video quality in order to transmit caption data to their TVs by using S-video, composite or RF cable connections instead of component or HDMI cables.

The Pansonic DVD recorders currently can decode captions from the recorded DVDs, so Panasonic has inserted the caption decoding function just BEFORE the video output, whereas Philips and Magnavox unfortunately appear to have inserted the caption decoding function BEFORE the RECORDING features instead of AFTER...so you can't decode the captions from the recordings. (I don't own these devices, though, so let me ask people here to confirm that.)

These devices may be further crippled in that they apparently don't transmit caption data via the component video cables, which many DVD players are able to do. Some TVs are able to decode captioned data that is transmitted via component video if progressive scanning and upconversion are turned off. (Some Samsung TVs may not be able to do so, however.)

Dana
dmulvany is offline  
post #3748 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Do you still have the Philips '76, or did you bring it back before getting the Maggie?

I still have the Philips 3576, and it still gets the copy-once copy protection. I use it for programs that I just want to time shift and not dub to DVD.

RG
rgazzara is offline  
post #3749 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post

I have few questions about the unit.
1. I tried V.Skip 079 exactly like it is given on the forum help. Nothing worked.
Here is what I did. Power down the unit. Cable removed from power source. Then cable replaced back. Powered it up. Even though it was set for HDD, I hit HDD button, then V.SKIP button then hit 0,7,9 one at a time in that sequence.
Nothing happened. I tried 10 time or more. Nothing. I tried it different ways. No success. I tried other codes lik V.SKip 123 etc. Nothing works.
----now, I power it up, then Magnavox screen is displayed on the TV. That lasts for 3 seconds. I complete my code well before it. Still not working.

Not sure why you unplugged the unit before trying SKIP 079? It almost sounds like you might have reset the unit before trying by pulling the power?

Regardless, with the unit properly set up and on a TV channel, press, without holding, the remote buttons SKIP 079 in sequence within 3 sec.

This also works for SKIP 123 to see the FW versions, and arrow right gets the media ID utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner View Post

Also HDMI video is horrible on this unit. I am ok with RGB video cable/Comp. Any one experienced same about HDMI?

Not sure what this could be caused by... too many to speculate: cable, source (digital/analog), HDMI setting, bad DVDR HDMI circuit?

One thing to note, your DVDR is a std def recorder, so it's records and shows a 480i image, which may be upscaled and upconverted to 1080p, but it still started with 480i. If comparing to HDTV source...? ... but still shouldn't be "horrible."

If it's the cable, best source is Monoprice.com, per ad at top of every AVS page.
7558037 is offline  
post #3750 of 27904 Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rgazzara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Thought he said he was giving it to his GF - unless he changed his plans.

Good memory Ramm. She has decided not to use it right now, but she may change her mind in the future.

RG
rgazzara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off