Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 193 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #5761 of 27986 Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

You have no equipment.

Could I ask what they're all being fed by? Certainly not all by the same cable feed. If so, are you using a splitting amp to keep the signal strong enough to feed them all, or are you using the "daisy chain" method, having each machine's RF output passthru feed the next machine?

My home office is a room adjacent to my bedroom. Between these two rooms there is maximized utilization of RF pass throughs, direct cable coax and cable converter box outputs. A detailed description, with photos, of this two-room setup (as it existed until a few days ago) is found in this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16748675

A few days ago the home office Philips 3576 was pulled off its direct cable coax feed and reconfigured as an OTA machine. The 2160 expected on Tuesday will most likely be swapped into the place of the Magnavox ZV450 (mentioned and pictured in the linked post) as the primary clear QAM machine in the home office. The Magnavox 2080 in the bedroom will continue to be the primary clear QAM machine in the bedroom.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 27986 Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I've run into something odd.
I recorded a program in HQ mode that I split and burned to 2 DVDs. I then ripped both discs to my drive so that I can put them back together, cut commercials, inverse telecine, etc.

Ripping with DVD Decrypter, the audio on disc 1 shows an audio delay of -227ms and disc 2, -220ms. Typically that means to sync the video and audio you'd delay the video that amount.

What I'm finding in practice is that adding the delay puts the audio out of sync. Has anyone had any experience with this?
post #5763 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI: The answer to all your cable problems, go satellite if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5764 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post

Have you had any luck? I have had the 2160A for more than 1 month now, and have been following this board prior to my purchase.
I have similar problem with comcast, on my Sony TV I see channels that the 2160A can't see. Such 78.1-78.11, and it can see 107.3 but not 107.4, etc. They all shown as scrambled but clearly they aren't.... the mannual programming procedure doesn't work either.

I've had mine for less then month.
Comcast truly sucks. Weasels.

I did a "Hard Reset" and Power Disconnect.
Started over with Factory Fresh do-over.
Rescanned Cable - Analog/Digital.
Same Problem. No Difference.
2160A cannot tune a substantial number of important channels
that the TV tuner receives.

Manual Programming Procedure is of no avail.

More here: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...054933&page=52

Just about ready to Flag this as an Official Problem
to be included in the Omissions and Errors Manual?

A little more research and some suggestion confirmation is still in order.

Getting a little tried of dancing with this issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

FYI: The answer to all your cable problems, go satellite if you can.

I reckon some of us folks is too po' for them hootenanny services,
do-dads and multiple gizmo's, gadget's, STB's, tuners, and the like.
I'd heard wind of --- this here dohickey don't need no box, and would be
the answer to my prayer's. Now I'm just prayin' for a channel lock...
...the ability to burn a DVD on a DVR without havin' to lose all my timer's...
which is pretty much what this contraption is suppose to be made for.
Since this is the only game in town, guess we'll put up with a whole lot gremin's
and be thankful there's a place to complain about it at.

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
post #5765 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post

I've had mine for less then month.
Comcast truly sucks. Weasels.

One question I asked in the other thread (added in edit later) was:

Added in edit: Hold the phone... you don't by chance have the 2160A plugged into a surge suppressor, esp. one that you connect the coax to?
post #5766 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You have no equipment.

Could I ask what they're all being fed by? Certainly not all by the same cable feed. If so, are you using a splitting amp to keep the signal strong enough to feed them all, or are you using the "daisy chain" method, having each machine's RF output passthru feed the next machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

My home office is a room adjacent to my bedroom. Between these two rooms there is maximized utilization of RF pass throughs, direct cable coax and cable converter box outputs. A detailed description, with photos, of this two-room setup (as it existed until a few days ago) is found in this post:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16748675

A few days ago the home office Philips 3576 was pulled off its direct cable coax feed and reconfigured as an OTA machine. The 2160 expected on Tuesday will most likely be swapped into the place of the Magnavox ZV450 (mentioned and pictured in the linked post) as the primary clear QAM machine in the home office. The Magnavox 2080 in the bedroom will continue to be the primary clear QAM machine in the bedroom.

I haven't documented my set-ups (in two separate rooms) but they're similiar to yours in complexity. A real ongoing problem is tracing wire connections through snakepits when necessary! I split a cable feed no more than 4 ways, which maintains adequate signal strength, plus employ a couple of 'daisy chains' on the side. The only noticeably fuzzy pictures are from some VHF channels on Philips' HDRW 720, which has a mediocre tuner at best. Otherwise everything looks good and clean!

I've found that basically what works best for me is a cascading chain of 3 components; first a switchable source (such as a hi-def OTA and/or QAM DVR [S3 TiVo; Moxi: Sony and LG] using no CableCARDS); plus a single standard-def cable STB for Premium channels.

Next in the chain is a DVD recorder (I've got way too many, but the two exceptional ones (IMHO) are Philips' HDRW 720 (with V7 TVGOS) and the current Maggy 2160A. (Last year's 2160 would have been just as good but I didn't know about it then.) Both feature 6 hour recording buffers from which any segment can be edited precisely frame-by-frame in either direction and turned into recordings. The 2160 is more convenient to use and I really like its 1.3 FF 'catch-up' with normal pitched audio, but the 720's buffer survives all input/channel changes (except camcorder) and allows for longer titles.

The last component in a chain, for no interference with an ongoing recording, is a ReplayTV 4320 with its exceptional EPG and Bypass function which causes no signal degradation or time delay .

Everything is switchable so I can watch a source DVR in hi-def, or standard- def from further down the chain. The problem is I rarely watch TV, what with these Forums and fine-tuning the systems. (Almost) jus' kiddin!
post #5767 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

One question I asked in the other thread (added in edit later) was:

Added in edit: Hold the phone... you don't by chance have the 2160A plugged into a surge suppressor, esp. one that you connect the coax to?

I never connect coax or phone lines to those things.

Suppressor + Power = Yes
Suppressor + Coax = No

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
post #5768 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post

More here: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...054933&page=52

2160A cannot tune a substantial number of important channels
that the TV tuner receives.[/b]
Manual Programming Procedure is of no avail.

A little more research and some suggestion confirmation is still in order.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16855596
post #5769 of 27986 Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well Wajo, like everyone else there is one way to find out, give it a try
Worse that happens is you have a nice USB external drive to use with your PC or something and a few extra adapters that may come in handy.
As long as you don't damage the unit in the process it would be easy to test I
Think. Mine is still happily clunking along with the 250 I had glued into it. I have almost 6 pages of stuff saved on the drive again and it still shows about 80 hours of space.
post #5770 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 AM

Does anyone know if the Magnavox H2160MW9 will allow me to watch live OTA HD tv through the tuner in the unit using my Hitachi Director's Series 1080p monitor, model UT42X902?

The Hitachi monitor does not have a built-in tuner, so I need one to watch OTA tv. I know that the Magnavox recorder only has a standard def tuner, but will connecting the Hitachi monitor through the HDMI output on the Magnavox upconvert the standard def tv signal into high def? If so, do I need to record the live show on the hard drive simultaneously to get the up conversion to high def as I watch it?

If the high def upconversion does work for watching live tv using the Magnavox and my Hitachi monitor. would it also work using one of the Phillips upconverting DVD recorders with a tuner but no hard drive, such as the Phillips DVDR3505/37 or DVDR3506?

Lastly, the refurbished Magnavox H2160MW9 sold by J&R World for $159.99 does not indicate that it is the 2009 "A" model with the defect, but according to the post from wajo, it still is the defective "A" model, correct? Since it is already refurbished, shouldn't they have fixed it with the update when they did the refurbishing?

Thanks. You guys sure are knowledgeable!
post #5771 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerlessInL.A. View Post

Does anyone know if the Magnavox H2160MW9 will allow me to watch live OTA HD tv through the tuner in the unit using my Hitachi Director's Series 1080p monitor, model UT42X902?

Yes, the raw HD signal will be downconverted to 480i thru the 2160' tuner, and you can upconvert that to 1080p or other scan mode, but it still starts as 480i thru the tuner, so not "pure" HD.

Quote:

The Hitachi monitor does not have a built-in tuner, so I need one to watch OTA tv. I know that the Magnavox recorder only has a standard def tuner, but will connecting the Hitachi monitor through the HDMI output on the Magnavox upconvert the standard def tv signal into high def? If so, do I need to record the live show on the hard drive simultaneously to get the up conversion to high def as I watch it?

See answer above. You can upconvert the live TV pic or anything on the HDD or a DVD... no need to record it to get the upconversion.

Quote:

If the high def upconversion does work for watching live tv using the Magnavox and my Hitachi monitor. would it also work using one of the Phillips upconverting DVD recorders with a tuner but no hard drive, such as the Phillips DVDR3505/37 or DVDR3506?

Should work the same way.

Quote:

Lastly, the refurbished Magnavox H2160MW9 sold by J&R World for $159.99 does not indicate that it is the 2009 "A" model with the defect, but according to the post from wajo, it still is the defective "A" model, correct? Since it is already refurbished, shouldn't they have fixed it with the update when they did the refurbishing?

Two reports from people who've gotten J&R 2160 units is that they are NOT... I repeat NOT... "A" units, but so far, neither has tested a Format or Finalize w/timer rec programs set. I asked the latest user to test that, and maybe he'll respond?
post #5772 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No problem at all connecting to a monitor via HDMI.
Use your DVR to surf the channels.
post #5773 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've yet to take a decent picture of my 2160, including this just-snapped photo showing a Sony DVP-NS57P, a Philips 3576, the Magnavox 2160, a Panasonic EZ28 and an EZ17. Looks like it's time to adjust some clocks.

LOL!!!! I can't get the dang things sync'd if My Life depended on it!!!!
Two Refurbs arriving tomorrow, I'll let you know what they sent me!

Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #5774 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. You guys sure are knowledgeable!

As you and the responders have acknowledged the tuner in the Philips and Magnavox units is SD. If you use the tuner in one of these, you will not be watching HD TV! I personally think the whole upconversion thing is pretty much Snakeoil!. It is unlikely that they will do a better job of upconversion than an HD TV or monitor would do on its own. If the ability to watch HD TV on that monitor is really important to you, you need to to get an HD tuner for the monitor.

As far as a correction to the 2160A bug is concerned, I have not seen anything posted to indicate that one exists. No one has reported a 2160A that does not have the bug, and there has been no recent information that Funai is even working on a resolution.
post #5775 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

DigaDo reports in the Mag 2160 thread that his refurb'd 2160 from J&R is indeed the ORIGINAL!

Here's his post on testing so far.

post #5776 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

An interesting section of a Wiki article on HDD "Disk Failures and their metrics" caught my attention as it relates to the Hitachi Deskstar HDDs used in the Mag 2160:

"A 2007 study published by Google suggested very little correlation between failure rates and either high temperature or activity level; however, the correlation between manufacturer/model and failure rate was relatively strong. Statistics in this matter is kept highly secret by most entities. Google did not publish the manufacturer's names along with their respective failure rates, though they have since revealed that they use Hitachi Deskstar drives in some of their servers."
post #5777 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanalexander View Post

Here's the hitch, I saw some at an area Wal-Mart on closeout sale yesterday. I really loved the convenience of the HDD, and I know that there are very few options that don't require a subscription, however I'm skittish about trying another one. The Philips rep stated that this was a problem with the units which is why they are so willing to provide refunds. If I buy a replacement and it dies in 9 months will Philips be so willing to refund a second time? Has anyone had one of these last past a year?

Isn't this kind of a big deal? I don't check in here very often, but these machines are not easy to come by. Did you end up getting one? Do they still have any? What store? You don't have a lot of options with regard to a machine like this, I say jump on it.
post #5778 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcrjeff View Post

Isn't this kind of a big deal? I don't check in here very often, but these machines are not easy to come by. Did you end up getting one? Do they still have any? What store? You don't have a lot of options with regard to a machine like this, I say jump on it.

Here's an even better unit at a better price.

Same basic ops plus autostart recording (6-hr constant buffer, pause live TV and watch 6 hours earlier if desired, then save to HDD).

Click #1 in my sig. for lots more info.
post #5779 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

DigaDo reports in the Mag 2160 thread that his refurb'd 2160 from J&R is indeed the ORIGINAL!

So, let me get this straight...

He CAN finalize a DVD with pending recordings still programmed into the event timer?

He said everything BUT that one little essential bit!
post #5780 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, let me get this straight...

He CAN finalize a DVD with pending recordings still programmed into the event timer?

He said everything BUT that one little essential bit!

Yes he can... you missed his update... click the link again.

But more telling is that his FW versions are original 2160 for Dec 2008 mfg date.
post #5781 of 27986 Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One other thing...

What would happen if someone had both the original 2160 and the "won't finalize with events pending" evil 2160-A...

...and SWITCHED the two hard drives?

What effect might that have on each machine?

Would both machines get messed up, especially with regards to anything currently on the hard drives?

I know the hard drives don't seem to have any "drive" software on them, everything being loaded onto the
chip(s) of the machine. This seems proved by the fact you can put a blank hard drive into one of these and the machine itself can get the hard drive going and then use it like it was the original.

If the finalizing glitch is actually in the "A" unit itself, might you be able to just take an "A" machine's hard drive out, put it into the well-behaved ORIGINAL 2160, and from that point on have your cake and eat it too? (Hold onto any recordings you had on the drive, but also be able to make new ones...and DVDs...without the finalizing problem...from now on?)

Diga's the one who could tell us if he has the time to experiment, and an answer to this additional question would be gravy, but I wouldn't want him to risk losing any recordings to get an answer.
post #5782 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

One other thing...

What would happen if someone had both the original 2160 and the "won't finalize with events pending" evil 2160-A...

...and SWITCHED the two hard drives?

What effect might that have on each machine?

Would both machines get messed up, especially with regards to anything currently on the hard drives?

I know the hard drives don't seem to have any "drive" software on them, everything being loaded onto the
chip(s) of the machine. This seems proved by the fact you can put a blank hard drive into one of these and the machine itself can get the hard drive going and then use it like it was the original.

If the finalizing glitch is actually in the "A" unit itself, might you be able to just take an "A" machine's hard drive out, put it into the well-behaved ORIGINAL 2160, and from that point on have your cake and eat it too? (Hold onto any recordings you had on the drive, but also be able to make new ones...and DVDs...without the finalizing problem...from now on?)

Diga's the one who could tell us if he has the time to experiment, and an answer to this additional question would be gravy, but I wouldn't want him to risk losing any recordings to get an answer.

You just can't switch drives 1 IDE the other is SATA
post #5783 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 AM

I have 2 Philips 3575H. One has bad DVD drive, the other is normal. I have a WD 500GB PATA if I take out the 160GB from the 1st 3575H and put in the WD 500GB and format with SKIP-0-7-9 and record OTA programmes.

1. If the original 160GB HDD is put back to the 1st 3575H, will it unable to recognize it and format the drive and erased all 160GB contents?

2. If the 500GB is put into the 2nd 3575H, will the 2nd 3575H recognize it and read the contents?

Thanks!
post #5784 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

I have 2 Philips 3575H. One has bad DVD drive, the other is normal. I have a WD 500GB PATA if I take out the 160GB from the 1st 3575H and put in the WD 500GB and format with SKIP-0-7-9 and record OTA programmes.

1. If the original 160GB HDD is put back to the 1st 3575H, will it unable to recognize it and format the drive and erased all 160GB contents?

2. If the 500GB is put into the 2nd 3575H, will the 2nd 3575H recognize it and read the contents?

No, in both cases, the 3575 should recognize the contents w/o formatting, as described by Auskck here.

The essence of his post on HDD swapping is:

"Update: For all except 2160A
Max recoding time test proof positive 212H 58M at SP mode 500gb drive max
Drive 1 a 500gb 2.5 drive full holds 123 movies
Drive 2 1tb 3.5 drive full holds 122 movies (can only use 500gb)
Drive 3 500gb drive holds 117 movies
Interesting test, these boxes do have some memory.
Scheduled a 1 hr recording session about 1 hr in the future.
Shut down the 3575, swapped drives to a previous used drive and powered up. The recording schedule still there. Power down swap drive back to original drive, power up check schedule and it was there. So swapping previous formatted drives does not lose your schedule. Scheduling recordings is held in memory. Scheduling will be lost if you unplug the unit.
or format a new drive.

Update 20090622
Update on esata conversion, the 3575 is on it's 3rd 500gb drive, the 3576 located in bedroom still on 1st 500gb(gets little recording use). Whats nice is they are all switchable. No problems encountered what so ever. Don't know of any other recorders that are this versatile.
Update 20090704
Just installed 4th 500gb drive. Removable drives works without any problems. Approximately 120 movies per drive."
post #5785 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 AM

wajo,

Thanks for the info. It will be my week end project to open up my 1st 3575H and put in a 500GB drive.
post #5786 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:

WooHoo! I just ordered one. That'll be my second 2160. I also have three 3575's, but I just couldn't resist that deal. I hope all of those refurb units are 2160's, not 2160A's.
post #5787 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfj2u View Post

WooHoo! I just ordered one. That'll be my second 2160. I also have three 3575's, but I just couldn't resist that deal. I hope all of those refurb units are 2160's, not 2160A's.

I hope so too!

First thing to do after setup is to use the SKIP 123 code to see what FW Version numbers the unit has.

Here are the two known FW Versions for original 2160's mfg in Aug 2008 and Dec 2008:

Original Aug 2008:
Model: E2M01UD
DTV-S: Version 0x14
FE Version: R50_011_000
BE Version: HD5A23370H1E
TT Version: [email protected]

Mfg Dec 2008... This is the version DigaDo has in his just-received and tested J&R 2160.
Model: E2M01UD
DTV-S: Version 0x14
FE Version: R50_013_000
BE Version: HD5A23370H1E
TT Version: [email protected]
post #5788 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

Thanks!

I don't think it's as easy as pulling the 160 GB out and throwing in a 500 GB.

Isn't there a concern on the current draw of these hard drives? I would think that one would want to try to find a hard drive that has close to the same or less power draw specifications as the original hard drives in the 2160. Putting a hard drive in with higher power requirements may result in strange behavior or failure of the 2160 due to the added load on the power supply.
post #5789 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

I don't think it's as easy as pulling the 160 GB out and throwing in a 500 GB.

Isn't there a concern on the current draw of these hard drives? I would think that one would want to try to find a hard drive that has close to the same or less power draw specifications as the original hard drives in the 2160. Putting a hard drive in with higher power requirements may result in strange behavior or failure of the 2160 due to the added load on the power supply.

On power draw, it turns out the Seagates used in our units *probably* draw as much or more than other replacement drives from WD and Hitachi. Some of the "Green" drives draw sig. less.

Of course, anyone trying a HDD replacement/upgrade must be concerned about power draw and can check the tables here that list some drives and their power draws... also the dimensions, which seem to be identical or VERY close for all I've checked out so far.

The power supply has also been checked and compared by DIgaDo and Auskck. DigaDo posted a pic of the 2080 PS here, and Auskck confirmed that his 3575 has the same PN on top of the PS, so it appears the PS in all four units is the same?

Only other thing of concern... make sure a replacement/upgrade HDD is 7200rpm rated spindle speed.
post #5790 of 27986 Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

On power draw, it turns out the Seagates used in our units *probably* draw as much or more than other replacement drives from WD and Hitachi. Some of the "Green" drives draw sig. less.

Of course, anyone trying a HDD replacement/upgrade must be concerned about power draw and can check the tables here that list some drives and their power draws... also the dimensions, which seem to be identical or VERY close for all I've checked out so far.

The power supply has also been checked and compared by DIgaDo and Auskck. DigaDo posted a pic of the 2080 PS here, and Auskck confirmed that his 3575 has the same PN on top of the PS, so it appears the PS in all four units is the same?

Only other thing of concern... make sure a replacement/upgrade HDD is 7200rpm rated spindle speed.

The Seagate tables for the larger drives seem wierd. Idle wattage higher than usage wattage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page