Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 217 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #6481 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gmacted and SteelTownGuy, Thank You Both very much for your speedy replies.

I am moving this DVR to my Parent's house for a day to get 12 hours of(continuous) programming not available to me in my current TV package.

Again - Thank You Both.

'shred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

That FAQ on CRT interference was based on actual user experiences and a test by CitiBear to confirm, and the only remedy based on those is distance from the CRT....

Only problem with this theory is that if we're to attribute the false "no dub" signal problem to this (as some did in the past), the argument falls apart.

My clunky 76 that was showing the DVD icon with a slash thru it? My 2160 is in the same cabinet now that that one was in, and is actually CLOSER to the CRT than the 76 was. No false "no dub" signals.

What other problems did we think the CRT might be causing?
post #6483 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Something for the future?... Timtofly reports success in connecting an external DVD drive to his Philips 3455 here.

Thank You wajo. However I do have to point out the 3455 is pre-funai and is still on the IDE bus, unlike the ribbons now found. It may be possible to replace the laser "sled", but some re-alignment may be required. Over in Europe, you can buy just the laser as an assembly, apart from the motor that spins the disk, and any internal or external "pc" board.

I am currently using an HP 20 speed PC internal. It is about 2 minutes faster on a 5 1/2 hour SLP recorded disk than the original drives, but it is slower at finallizing the disk. The HP burner is hooked up to an external power source and has that jet sound to it when recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6484 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

That FAQ on CRT interference was based on actual user experiences and a test by CitiBear to confirm, and the only remedy based on those is distance from the CRT.

Not sure of any other remedies, like shielding?

I think the consensus was that the back of the CRT tube was the root source, so that might help in deciding what distance and direction helps most... just a SWAG.

Wajo,
As always, very quick response. Thanks. I might be able to lower it about 8 more inches if I swap it with my Yamaha receiver. But it happens so infrequently, I might wait. Thanks again.
post #6485 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by durutti231 View Post

Wajo,
As always, very quick response. Thanks. I might be able to lower it about 8 more inches if I swap it with my Yamaha receiver. But it happens so infrequently, I might wait. Thanks again.

Heat is equally bad for HDD ops... the problems reported in that help file you read started with the user's EU Philips like ours stuttering during HDD ops, caused by overheating (blocked intake air vents) and proceeded to CRT interference when the user moved his DVDR to the top of his CRT. The CRT portion is what CitiBear tested on a U.S. unit here.

So, heat could be one of your problems since it sounds as if it's on top of or above an AV receiver, which get very hot? My receiver is just warm on bottom, but top gets hot enough to fry an egg!
post #6486 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier but was away. Thanks to everyone for your answers to my question both here and on the other Magnavox/Phillips board about the ways to get the best quality recordings. All the info was very helpful.
post #6487 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

That FAQ on CRT interference was based on actual user experiences and a test by CitiBear to confirm, and the only remedy based on those is distance from the CRT.

Not sure of any other remedies, like shielding?

I think the consensus was that the back of the CRT tube was the root source, so that might help in deciding what distance and direction helps most... just a SWAG.

Odd, my Phillips 720RW sat about 1 inch above a 36" Hitachi Ultrascan CRT for years. My Magnavox 2160 lives there now. I've had no problems, I wonder if the problem is CRT or brand specific.
post #6488 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

Odd, my Phillips 720RW sat about 1 inch above a 36" Hitachi Ultrascan CRT for years. My Magnavox 2160 lives there now. I've had no problems, I wonder if the problem is CRT or brand specific.

All we know is that it was described as an "old CRT" as pictured here.

CitiBear's test confirming the interference effects is here.
post #6489 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Starting at 7am tomorrow I will be recording a large number of 2 hour sessions back to back to back. 34 hours total. I decided to use this approach rather than two or three loooong sessions.

What I need to know is this - Is this unit up to the task of recording almost continually for 34 straight hours without overheating or HDD corruption? I would be setting up for 15+ 2 hour sessions and several one hour sessions, but all back to back to back. Can this unit handle it?

I have adequate airflow both above and below the 3576, it is on an open shelf and raised up off the shelf with 4 small drinking glasses, one at each corner, so there is airflow above and below, behind, and on all sides. The ambient temperature will be around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Any experience/solid info is welcome. Should I perhaps aim a room fan at the 3576 and leave it on for the duration? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #6490 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

Starting at 7am tomorrow I will be recording a large number of 2 hour sessions back to back to back. 36 hours total. I decided to use this approach rather than two or three loooong sessions.

What I need to know is this - Is this unit up to the task of recording almost continually for 36 straight hours without overheating or HDD corruption? I would be setting up for 15+ 2 hour sessions and several one hour sessions, but all back to back to back. Can this unit handle it?

I have adequate airflow both above and below the 3576, it is on an open shelf and raised up off the shelf with 4 small drinking glasses, one at each corner, so there is airflow above and below and on all sides. The ambient temperature will be around 75 degrees fahrenheit. Any experience/solid info is welcome. Should I perhaps aim a Fan at the 3576 and leave it on for the duration? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've tested my 3575's with several 6- and 8-hour continuous sessions, back to back, analog to digital, etc. with no overheating or ill effects.

These machines don't seem to get hot as long as room-temp. air can enter on right front side and exit out back. Fan can't hurt but don't think it's necesary.

I've not even put any feet underneath cuz I never noticed any heat buildup with the 6-12" of open space I have around the back and sides.

Only thing I'm not sure I understand is the 36 hours... I'm not sure if the machine will cut off at 12 hours cuz it'll be recording continuously back-to-back. I've not tested that, but the 12-hour restriction might only apply to ONE continuous rec session (since the timer won't let you go over 12 hours for one title). It may, but not sure, allow multiple timer recs adding up to 36 hours as long as programs are rec as diff. titles? An interesting test... I'm jealous!

Actually, based on HDD articles, they do better when operating w/o parking the heads, so 36 hours might just be "a piece of cake"?
YMMV of course.
post #6491 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Wajo, for your response, and for ALL you do for us here at AVS Forum! Youda man!!

I actually will (hopefully) have 16 separate 2 hour Timer Scheduled recordings and 2 separate one hour Timer Scheduled Recordings. You said this unit can start a back to back recording very quickly, so I am going to trust the station to begin and end their programming "On Time" and create 18 individual Titles instead of 3 very long titles that would be more difficult to edit.

Wish me luck!
post #6492 of 27974 Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:

A couple of 2160A users have posted on a feature that the original 2160 doesn't have. It's called HDMI CONTROL and it's found in the Setup > HDMI menu.

I've posted some info on it in the Setting help file here.

Does this work if your unit is going through an AV receiver?
post #6493 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamqsr11 View Post

Not sure. One of the 2160A users who runs HDMI thru a receiver and uses HDMI Control will have to answer that.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work cuz, once the HDMI out was "active," the TV would be receiving the control signals from the 2160A?
post #6494 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...36 hours might just be "a piece of cake"?

This is what I predict will happen. I don't see any reason why these DVDR's wouldn't handle a very long recording session broken down into several pieces.

This sounds like a pretty important archive project, Shred. If you don't have it plugged in to an uninterrupted power supply, you better cross your fingers. Make sure you choose a record speed that matches the quality that you want on your finalized DVD's. You do not want to have to real time dub this later unless you want to take a 4.5 hour job and turn it into a 36 hour job.

Quote:

...You said this unit can start a back to back recording very quickly, so I am going to trust the station to begin and end their programming "On Time" and create 18 individual Titles instead of 3 very long titles that would be more difficult to edit.

It certainly will start back-to-back recordings very quickly. Especially since it sounds like they are all from the same channel. The only real delay occurs when switching from the analog tuner to the DTV channels and back.

My 2160's gain 3 seconds / day, but we've discussed this topic a lot and it seems to be the fault of my power company (all 3 DVDR's I've had in my house behaved the same). If you experience similar time drifts, plan accordingly for a 36 hour recording marathon.

I'm sure you'll let us know how things turn out. Good luck.
post #6495 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:

Again, it depends. If your receiver is capable of HDMI control using the standard codes then yes. Onkyo receivers are. Panasonic home theater systems are. My Onkyo receiver will sense the active component, turn itself on and the TV on and set the TV to the proper HDMI input. If the component remote has a volume control it will control the receiver volume. The more recent the vintage of your equipment the more likely they will support HDMI control.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6496 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

This is what I predict will happen. I don't see any reason why these DVDR's wouldn't handle a very long recording session broken down into several pieces.

This sounds like a pretty important archive project, Shred. If you don't have it plugged in to an uninterrupted power supply, you better cross your fingers. Make sure you choose a record speed that matches the quality that you want on your finalized DVD's. You do not want to have to real time dub this later unless you want to take a 4.5 hour job and turn it into a 36 hour job.

It certainly will start back-to-back recordings very quickly. Especially since it sounds like they are all from the same channel. The only real delay occurs when switching from the analog tuner to the DTV channels and back.

My 2160's gain 3 seconds / day, but we've discussed this topic a lot and it seems to be the fault of my power company (all 3 DVDR's I've had in my house behaved the same). If you experience similar time drifts, plan accordingly for a 36 hour recording marathon.

I'm sure you'll let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments and good wishes SteelTownGuy. I did not use an uninterrupted power supply because I do not own one. You are correct, all recordings are on the same channel. I did set for SP Quality because after I remove commercials this lets me dub to DVD at good quality at high speed. I did make sure to synchronize the clock on the 3576 with the one on the digital cable tuner box. Hopefully 5-10 seconds variation will not kill me as there are often commercials between programs. I went by to check up on things around 3pm today and all was progressing well. I will check it again sometime tonight. The 3576 was cool to the touch and the fan was barely running at the 8hr. mark.
post #6497 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If your just backing up your dvd machines and vcr's or whatever a small UPS will do fine. I use a 750 VA I got at one of the Office stores on sale a few years ago for like 30 bucks. It will run the TV and most of my recorder units for about 20 minutes if the TV is on, and it's a 34" wide CRT, longer if the TV is off of course.
Check the deal sites like Slick deals and Fat Wallet as they are always posting deals on everything including UPS units.
I also got a APC 1500 va for my PC for about 78 out the door, 30 after rebate that was the same type of deal. They are always closing out older or non big selling units cheap.
post #6498 of 27974 Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:

Thanks for the comments and good wishes SteelTownGuy. I did not use an uninterrupted power supply because I do not own one. You are correct, all recordings are on the same channel. I did set for SP Quality because after I remove commercials this lets me dub to DVD at good quality at high speed. I did make sure to synchronize the clock on the 3576 with the one on the digital cable tuner box. Hopefully 5-10 seconds variation will not kill me as there are often commercials between programs. I went by to check up on things around 3pm today and all was progressing well. I will check it again sometime tonight. The 3576 was cool to the touch and the fan was barely running at the 8hr. mark.

I did a continuous 24 hr TCM session on a 3575 a year ago with no problems so you should be good to go.

Let us know how it works out. Info like that is always welcome around here!
post #6499 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I did a continuous 24 hr TCM session on a 3575 a year ago with no problems so you should be good to go.

Let us know how it works out. Info like that is always welcome around here!

Thanks for your report ti-triodes. At the 13 hour mark all was well, and the unit was still quite cool. I will check at some point later today (Friday). My recordings are scheduled to finish up at 5p.m., with 34 hours total non-stop recording if all goes well.
post #6500 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 AM

My 2160A came in today and I have it hooked up to cable. From reading most of these threads it mentioned the "A" model has a known digital tuner problem. Didn't realize how bad it was until I tried it myself.

I have California Comcast and the unit is getting a direct cable from the main house splitter. I had Comcast measure out every outlet and they were all within spec.

My first hook up:
Coax into 2160A ant in. HDMI out to A/V receiver. Coax pass through to Samsung LN52A750 LCD.
Results:
The TV picks up over 400 digital, 90 analog, and about 30 over the air channels. This is more channels then what I get when using the HD Cable box I'm using for ON DEMAND. The 2160A, not a single digital channel. I read up a bit more and figured that I might have a "Digital Cliff" effect because I do have a signal amplifier installed by Comcast. This leads to a change in hook up.

Second hook up:
Coax into a DB-6 splitter. Coax to 2160A with -6db. Coax to TV from splitter pass through. HDMI out to A/V receiver.
Results:
I get digital signals this time on the 2160A!!! Well at least a fraction of what I should get. I'm happy I got the digital channels to my 2160A but it really is about a tiny fraction. This is an insane difference between the LCD tuner vs the 2160A tuner. Also the TV looks much better with its own signal. I do understand that the 2160A has to convert to HDMI out, but its a huge difference between viewing digital channels from the TV versus the 2160A. Is there any hook up or setting to improve the 2160A digital tuner picture quality?

Will dropping the db a bit more help? Also on my TV, the analog and digital channels are on one tuner. So when flipping through channels I get 2, 2.1,2.2 with the .x being digital but on the 2160A I have to use the DTV/TV button to access my digital channels. If its in TV mode I only get standard, and in DTV mode I only get digital. This is kind of a pain in the arse to switch. Is there a method to combine them like my TV?

Wajo: What would you recommend for video settings on my 2160A with the components I'm using? I have listed my full A/V hook up below.

A/V hook up:
Coax from main splitter to Motorola DCH3200 Digital Cable Box
HDMI out from DCH3200 to Samsung LCD LN52A750
Optic out from DCH3200 to Yamaha AVR RX-V663

PS3 HDMI out to AVR. This is my main source for movies and network streaming.

Coax from main splitter to DB-6 splitter. Coax -6db to 2160A. Coax pass through to LCD. HDMI out to AVR.

Logitech Harmony 880
6.1 Speaker Set.

I'm looking into upgrading the HDD on the 2160A but I want to make sure this is the unit to keep. If there isn't much more I can do about the tuner issue then I'll proceed to the upgrade and pray Funai comes out with a FW fix. If it is a unit issue tuner problems then I might swap for another from Walmart and pray I get one with a better digital tuner. I'm getting about 50-70 digital channels right now and mostly the useless ones.

Still working on reading the rest of this thread
post #6501 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:

I have California Comcast and the unit is getting a direct cable from the main house splitter. I had Comcast measure out every outlet and they were all within spec.

My first hook up:
Coax into 2160A ant in. HDMI out to A/V receiver. Coax pass through to Samsung LN52A750 LCD.
Results:
The TV picks up over 400 digital, 90 analog, and about 30 over the air channels. This is more channels then what I get when using the HD Cable box I'm using for ON DEMAND.

That's quite incredible. Do they not encrypt anything in Ca. I'm not familiar with that TV, by any chance do you have a cable-card installed in it?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6502 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My 2160A came in today and I have it hooked up to cable. From reading most of these threads it mentioned the "A" model has a known digital tuner problem. Didn't realize how bad it was until I tried it myself.

My first hook up:
Results:
The TV picks up over 400 digital, 90 analog, and about 30 over the air channels. This is more channels then what I get when using the HD Cable box I'm using for ON DEMAND. The 2160A, not a single digital channel. I read up a bit more and figured that I might have a "Digital Cliff" effect because I do have a signal amplifier installed by Comcast. This leads to a change in hook up.

Only a question on this: how do you get the antenna signal for those OTA channels, a 2nd coax connection on the TV?

Quote:

Second hook up:
Coax into a DB-6 splitter. Coax to 2160A with -6db. Coax to TV from splitter pass through. HDMI out to A/V receiver.
Results:
I get digital signals this time on the 2160A!!! Well at least a fraction of what I should get. I'm happy I got the digital channels to my 2160A but it really is about a tiny fraction. This is an insane difference between the LCD tuner vs the 2160A tuner. Also the TV looks much better with its own signal. I do understand that the 2160A has to convert to HDMI out, but its a huge difference between viewing digital channels from the TV versus the 2160A. Is there any hook up or setting to improve the 2160A digital tuner picture quality?

Will dropping the db a bit more help? Also on my TV, the analog and digital channels are on one tuner. So when flipping through channels I get 2, 2.1,2.2 with the .x being digital but on the 2160A I have to use the DTV/TV button to access my digital channels. If its in TV mode I only get standard, and in DTV mode I only get digital. This is kind of a pain in the arse to switch. Is there a method to combine them like my TV?

The TV/DTV switch is reqd for the 2160A's hybrid tuner. Your TV has an integrated analog/digital tuner so no switching reqd. Nothing you can do about that.

Quote:

Wajo: What would you recommend for video settings on my 2160A with the components I'm using? I have listed my full A/V hook up below.

A/V hook up:
Coax from main splitter to Motorola DCH3200 Digital Cable Box
HDMI out from DCH3200 to Samsung LCD LN52A750
Optic out from DCH3200 to Yamaha AVR RX-V663

PS3 HDMI out to AVR. This is my main source for movies and network streaming.

Coax from main splitter to DB-6 splitter. Coax -6db to 2160A. Coax pass through to LCD. HDMI out to AVR.

Logitech Harmony 880
6.1 Speaker Set.

I'm looking into upgrading the HDD on the 2160A but I want to make sure this is the unit to keep. If there isn't much more I can do about the tuner issue then I'll proceed to the upgrade and pray Funai comes out with a FW fix. If it is a unit issue tuner problems then I might swap for another from Walmart and pray I get one with a better digital tuner. I'm getting about 50-70 digital channels right now and mostly the useless ones.

To check for a bad tuner, I'd connect directly from 2160A to TV using BOTH HDMI and Composite Y/W/R (with Progressive Scan OFF)... I know, yuk! is the first reaction, but I get a better pic from my 3575 for straight TV stuff with my cable feed, which is Composite. I'm preserving the Composite signal all the way to the TV and letting the TV upscale to its native 1080p.

Also, I get a better pic thru HDMI by sending 480p and YCbCr Format.

You could try these plus play with HDMI settings as described in this help file?

These would let you know if the tuner is defective in some way or not?

On the lower number of digital channels, 50-70 is actually good compared to my 13. Some other people also are lucky enough to get as many of those "in-the-clear" digitals as you.

First of all, all DVDRs only have physical digital channels 1-135 so they can only tune those cableco channels that they place in or map to those 135 channel slots. They "allow" some channels in those slots to be tuned only cuz the FCC forces them to (locals that can be recd over-the-air) and cuz many people can only afford basic cable, so they have to be able to tune SOMETHING with older analog TVs and new HDTVs (if they can afford one). Their higher numbered channels are ones only their box can tune and serve as a way to force you to rent that box... for extra fee of course.

Cablecos also *typically* scramble as many channels as they can get away with to force you to their box, so people with that box (like you) will have to record the digital channels not in-the-clear via a line connection from the box to L1 on the 2160A.

While a few people with 2160A's have proved that it might not be able to tune all possible channels in their cable system, the only way they knew that was to have or also buy an original 2160 and compare the two. I don't know of a way to verify that your 2160A is tuning all the in-the-clear channels available, but with 50 or more, it sounds about right (altho can't define "right").
post #6503 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:

...Also the TV looks much better with its own signal. I do understand that the 2160A has to convert to HDMI out, but its a huge difference between viewing digital channels from the TV versus the 2160A. Is there any hook up or setting to improve the 2160A digital tuner picture quality?

It has a lot less to do with the HDMI and everything to do with the conversion from HD to SD. Anything that the 2160A tunes and outputs to HDMI/component/composite/s-vid (or records) is down-converted to Standard Def format. That's why your picture looks less good when viewing from the HDMI as opposed to directly from the TV. Depending on how good your TV's upscaler is, tinkering with the HDMI output resolution (480p/1080i/1080p) may improve some aspects of the picture quality (jaggies, shimmering).
post #6504 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That's quite incredible. Do they not encrypt anything in Ca. I'm not familiar with that TV, by any chance do you have a cable-card installed in it?

I honestly don't know but I subscribe to the basic package from Comcast and through their box I receive about 80-90 analog and less then 80 digital. With the direct cable feed I am getting an insane amount of digital and makes me kinda wonder if having the box is even worth it. My girlfriend does love her ON DEMAND though so I do need to keep the box, also they don't charge you for the first box anyways, so now I have 3 modes set up on the Harmony to watch TV. 1st is ON DEMAND, direct cable, DVR. I don't have cable cards installed anywhere besides the one built into the cable box itself. Seems kinda odd that if I wanted to have more channels to watch I would have to bypass my cable box, but that is the cableco's way of charging you more in order to receive more from the box. I just thought the cableco regulates everything that comes from their cable lines and for them to offer that many channels from the coax directly seems contradictory.
post #6505 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't know but I subscribe to the basic package from Comcast and through their box I receive about 80-90 analog and less then 80 digital. With the direct cable feed I am getting an insane amount of digital and makes me kinda wonder if having the box is even worth it. My girlfriend does love her ON DEMAND though so I do need to keep the box, also they don't charge you for the first box anyways, so now I have 3 modes set up on the Harmony to watch TV. 1st is ON DEMAND, direct cable, DVR.

Just out of curiosity, are any of the channels repeats? If your TV can tune to the real channel and virtual channel, it may look like you are getting twice as many channels.

When ATSC broadcasts started in my area, my tuner would pick up several networks twice, one on the actual frequency and the second on the given channel number, both were the same digital signal.
post #6506 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Only a question on this: how do you get the antenna signal for those OTA channels, a 2nd coax connection on the TV?

I honestly don't know how it's getting OTA channels but yesterday was the first time I had a direct coax feed into the TV. I ran a new coax from the main splitter to the DVR so I wouldn't have to rely on the cable box tuner. (100+ degree attic temperatures wasn't fun and fishing through walls.)Once it was hooked up I did a channel scan, selected AUTO, Analog(STD/HRC/IRC), Digital (STD/HRC/IRC) I'm not sure what HRC/ICR mean. Once the auto program was completed it showed DTV Cable: 412 found, Cable: 86 found (analog I assume), and Air: 12 (OTA I assume, and not the 30 I quoted earlier).

Quote:

The TV/DTV switch is reqd for the 2160A's hybrid tuner. Your TV has an integrated analog/digital tuner so no switching reqd. Nothing you can do about that.

Win some, lose some.

Quote:

To check for a bad tuner, I'd connect directly from 2160A to TV using BOTH HDMI and Composite Y/W/R (with Progressive Scan OFF)... I know, yuk! is the first reaction, but I get a better pic from my 3575 for straight TV stuff with my cable feed, which is Composite. I'm preserving the Composite signal all the way to the TV and letting the TV upscale to its native 1080p.

Also, I get a better pic thru HDMI by sending 480p and YCbCr Format.

You could try these plus play with HDMI settings as described in this help file?

These would let you know if the tuner is defective in some way or not?

On the lower number of digital channels, 50-70 is actually good compared to my 13. Some other people also are lucky enough to get as many of those "in-the-clear" digitals as you.

First of all, all DVDRs only have physical digital channels 1-135 so they can only tune those cableco channels that they place in or map to those 135 channel slots. They "allow" some channels in those slots to be tuned only cuz the FCC forces them to (locals that can be recd over-the-air) and cuz many people can only afford basic cable, so they have to be able to tune SOMETHING with older analog TVs and new HDTVs (if they can afford one). Their higher numbered channels are ones only their box can tune and serve as a way to force you to rent that box... for extra fee of course.

I'll be playing with these settings like you said to see what's optimal. It sounds like my unit is working ok and that I need to do some adjustments for picture quality. I needed a confirmation in order to open the unit up and swap the HDD. Thank you. I love the potential of this unit but the tuner defeats digital recordings. I'll post my settings and connections once I find the optimal. Odd that lowering the resolution and running interlaced has better PQ. I'll be keeping up with Funai for FW updates.

Quote:

Cablecos also *typically* scramble as many channels as they can get away with to force you to their box, so people with that box (like you) will have to record the digital channels not in-the-clear via a line connection from the box to L1 on the 2160A.

I do realize the negatives of that box now, never thought it would be that huge of a difference till now. I would have to subscribe to premium in order to get the rest of the channels through the box but by not using it I get them anyways. Again the only advantage is the ON DEMAND. This forces me to use multiple viewing modes. The problem with 2160A tuner is that it's picking up the digital channels that I don't really watch. I think I'm getting 3-4 local stations and the rest I've never watched. I did an actual count last night, 58 digital and about 15-20 digital music stations.

Quote:

While a few people with 2160A's have proved that it might not be able to tune all possible channels in their cable system, the only way they knew that was to have or also buy an original 2160 and compare the two. I don't know of a way to verify that your 2160A is tuning all the in-the-clear channels available, but with 50 or more, it sounds about right (altho can't define "right").

I wish I was able to get a hold of a 2160 to do so. J&R discontinued it. Other stores are carrying the 2160A.
post #6507 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb0 View Post

It has a lot less to do with the HDMI and everything to do with the conversion from HD to SD. Anything that the 2160A tunes and outputs to HDMI/component/composite/s-vid (or records) is down-converted to Standard Def format. That's why your picture looks less good when viewing from the HDMI as opposed to directly from the TV. Depending on how good your TV's upscaler is, tinkering with the HDMI output resolution (480p/1080i/1080p) may improve some aspects of the picture quality (jaggies, shimmering).

Thanks chrisb0, I'll be tinkering a bit with it more but it seems that from what you said the 2160A is pretty much going to be a recording mule and if I wanted to watch HD, I would need to use to direct coax to the TV for best quality picture. Playback recordings will have some sort of degradation, just depends on the settings for how much.
post #6508 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

Just out of curiosity, are any of the channels repeats? If your TV can tune to the real channel and virtual channel, it may look like you are getting twice as many channels.

When ATSC broadcasts started in my area, my tuner would pick up several networks twice, one on the actual frequency and the second on the given channel number, both were the same digital signal.

I did see some repeats in the channels, I couldn't make out how many and I didn't flip through all of them. The repeats had a different channel though, for example 3.1, 96.14, 114.8 will be the same program. It would be pretty time consuming for me to find out which repeats match each other. The TV registers each individual channel so essentially even through there is 412 channels, there might only be 100-200 different programs. I wonder if there's a way for the TV tuner to differentiate and delete repeats automatically. I know I can do it manually but that would require a whole lot of channel surfing.
post #6509 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did see some repeats in the channels, I couldn't make out how many and I didn't flip through all of them. The repeats had a different channel though, for example 3.1, 96.14, 114.8 will be the same program. It would be pretty time consuming for me to find out which repeats match each other. The TV registers each individual channel so essentially even through there is 412 channels, there might only be 100-200 different programs. I wonder if there's a way for the TV tuner to differentiate and delete repeats automatically. I know I can do it manually but that would require a whole lot of channel surfing.

I have the three networks from two cities with the same program content, just diff. commercials. It's really been a blessing cuz we record some programs, like my wife's Soaps, on two diff. 3575's, one from one city and one from the other... helps when one has a transmission problem or stays on weather alerts too long! You might want to KEEP duplicates for similar reasons?
post #6510 of 27974 Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Comcast in my area, while having significantly fewer digital channels I can tune, has about a half dozen exact duplicates.
There's not much you can do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page