Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 322 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #9631 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We get a much better image OTA than anything from the cable ( box or qam-- the latter better than the former) so a lot of the disappointment in equipment may be due to the quality (or lack thereof) of the cable feed itself, some of which is highly compressed. Some of the channels only come in sd ... And poor quality sd at that. I rarely use the cable box unless a channel is unavailable by other means. That said, Some of the HD from the stb seems good and some of the SD seems good... I don't know how or why the source content is degraded, either from source or when cableco repackages it ...but they can do it right ... They just aren't providing consistently high quality.

Re sound output ... If going to tv, not external audio, do you recommend using 48 or 96 as setting on 2160?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I've made several attempts at saving only a portion or the AR buffer, and each time ends with all program time after the selected start point being saved....

Press pause, then press Rec button to select start time-Red circle with slash appears in the corner, and doesn't allow me to set start time while paused. I have to let it play before the pressing of Rec, with record icon under the Play icon, sets the 'Save AR' start time.

Hmmm, my original 2160 allows Pause then press Rec and Stop 2X, so it appears your machine won't work the same?

I'll have to add an "If your machine...." note to the AR instructions. Here's the revised instruction for Saving the buffer.

However, to understand this problem, some questions:

1. Do you have a 2160A?

2. Have you updated the FW?

3. When pressing Stop 2X, did you do that slowly and did you see the "Writing to disc" message with progress bar on screen for short time? Pressing Stop 2X too fast doesn't activate the Save function, so no message/bar on screen.
post #9633 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I'm curious to know if the 2160 would play those AVI files if you changed their ext. to mpg, mpeg or mpg2?

The files in question are coded in MPEG4, as far as I can tell, the 2160 will only decode MPEG2.

The ability may be in there somewhere as the 3575 does decode MPEG4, I suspect it was removed in firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9634 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Hi Dangerdoc1 & DigaDo

Thank you very much for the info. That sounds like a reasonable road to go down. You saved me a lot of work pursuing other leads that would have taken me in the direction of trying to convert the AVI files to a form the 2160 could handle. And I will not be using up the useful life of my 2160 laser on stuff a cheapo unit could do.

I can't believe there is not more interest in this topic here. I am thrilled that I will be able to view past "quality" TV Series that I missed at the time.

Jer

Wrong forum for that discussion, and rather moot as the new players do not have the capability.

My new TV will play those files natively, just plug a USB drive in and go.
post #9635 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Hmmm, my original 2160 allows Pause then press Rec and Stop 2X, so it appears your machine won't work the same?

I'll have to add an "If your machine...." note to the AR instructions. Here's the revised instruction for Saving the buffer.

However, to understand this problem, some questions:

1. Do you have a 2160A?

2. Have you updated the FW?

3. When pressing Stop 2X, did you do that slowly and did you see the "Writing to disc" message with progress bar on screen for short time? Pressing Stop 2X too fast doesn't activate the Save function, so no message/bar on screen.

Yep, it is a 2160A, Jul 09 build with FW update.
At first, I was pressing 'Stop twice' fast, and never saw the Saving bar, but then I slowed down, see the Saving bar, then check the Title Menu...and the same thing happens. Entire buffer after Start time is saved as a title.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #9636 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Yep, it is a 2160A, Jul 09 build with FW update.
At first, I was pressing 'Stop twice' fast, and never saw the Saving bar, but then I slowed down, see the Saving bar, then check the Title Menu...and the same thing happens. Entire buffer after Start time is saved as a title.

Strange, but interesting! I think you've found a big boo-boo in MY instructions... I thought I had tested this thoroughly!

I tested various button presses, etc. and found the same as you... pressing Stop the 1st time stops the playback and goes back to the live TV point in the buffer. Pressing Stop a 2nd time saves the entire buffer from the start point on, so you never have to "select" an end point, the machine does it for you, so to speak.

Essentially, it appears that your experience is NORMAL.

Thanks for starting this revelation... major changes to my instructions coming!
post #9637 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Strange, but interesting! I think you've found a big boo-boo in MY instructions... I thought I had tested this thoroughly!

Thanks for starting this revelation... major changes to my instructions coming!

Whew! What a mess that was.

I think I've got it right now, please check it out.
post #9638 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

This is usually an artifact of the digital transition, where stations are still learning how to broadcast this stuff. I've had black screen for the 1st 10 min. of a digital show, intermittent black screens, lots of fun stuff.?

Hope you are right on #1 -- that is certainly a good possibly - would make my life easier [no problem to solve].

Quote:

This unit might need a Soft Reset (2a here)? That's lose your clock and timer rec programs, so write them down or take a pic?

OK, I did the Soft reset per your instructions. It is working alright now, but I will need a few days to confirm the prob is gone. This prob does not repeat easily. I will let you know if I continue to have the same problem.

Thanks very much for your help Wajo.

Jer
post #9639 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

The 3575 plays AVI files, the 2160 does not, no way around it. A $40 DVD from Walmart that says DIVX somewhere on the box will.

I have good news & bad news on this. The bad news first!

BAD --I had an old DVD player I disconnected when I hooked up my H2160. I was hoping it would play my AVI files. The DVD with the AVI files on it would not play on my old DVD player. The Owners Manual for this DVD player did not say it would play AVI files -- Plays DVD Video, MP3, JPG -- Purchased in Nov, 2004.

By the way, I mispoke a little in my original post on this. I said they were .avi files. Well, their file type is AVI, but their file extensions are .xvid. I don't know if that helps - it is all very confusing to me.

GOOD -- I put my DVD with the AVI files into my sister's DVD & they loaded & played. I just played a few minutes of one file, and the quality was excellent. Twelve 1 hr programs on one DVD - wonderful. Fast encoding & Burning. And I can do it with the Nero software I already have.

Well I guess I will have to try to find a good deal on DVD player that plays DIVX files. I never dreamed I would need more than one DVD player in my house. I guess I can understand why a DVD player made in 2004 can't play these files. But I am not sure why a recent design, such as the H 2160 cannot play them -- especially when it is so similar to the 3575.

Jer
post #9640 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

..., and rather moot as the new players do not have the capability.

My new TV will play those files natively, just plug a USB drive in and go.

Hi Doc1,

Would you mind expanding on these a little? I do not understand.

Jer
post #9641 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
AR usage Q.

If you start saving the AR buffer (navigate in the buffer and press REC once) what happens if the HDD fills? I assume the buffer stops adding at the end so you lose everything from that point? Once you press REC once, is the buffer before that point lost? Or potentially lost if HDD fills?

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #9642 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By the way, I mispoke a little in my original post on this. I said they were .avi files. Well, their file type is AVI, but their file extensions are .xvid. I don't know if that helps - it is all very confusing to me.

3575/3576 play Xvid files, 2160 not.
post #9643 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

AR usage Q.

If you start saving the AR buffer (navigate in the buffer and press REC once) what happens if the HDD fills? I assume the buffer stops adding at the end so you lose everything from that point? Once you press REC once, is the buffer before that point lost? Or potentially lost if HDD fills?

I don't think the size of the buffer affects HDD capacity for User Data (recordings), it's just held in a temp. buffer area which CAN be saved to HDD if desired.

If true, then the buffer should save to the HDD IF the HDD still has room for that new User Data (actual recording).

Once you save something from the buffer to the HDD by pressing Stop twice, as described here, that entire buffer is lost and it starts a new buffer.
post #9644 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've accidentally gotten down to zero a few times. Next time (if there is a next time) I'll check the buffer after there is no HDD space left. I think it'll still remember 6 hrs. but will not let you save.
post #9645 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I've accidentally gotten down to zero a few times. Next time (if there is a next time) I'll check the buffer after there is no HDD space left. I think it'll still remember 6 hrs. but will not let you save.

I can guarantee it won't save as a title if there's ZERO space left on the HDD.

It would be better to do that when there's an hour or whatever space left, then try to save more, like two hours worth of buffer, and see what it saves to HDD... 1 hour or none.

The 1-hour remaining has to be at SP rec mode, the same as the AR uses.
post #9646 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was only referring to whether it would still buffer, wasn't planning to save it. Hoping NOT to get that low again, but if I do, I'll be sure to check it , in the interests of 'science'
post #9647 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:

....It would be better to do that when there's an hour or whatever space left, then try to save more, like two hours worth of buffer, and see what it saves to HDD... 1 hour or none.

It may be difficult to precisely determine how much recording time is left, per the following statement contained in the Magnavox 2160/2160A/MDR513H/F7 Owner's Manuals:

"About the remaining capacity of HDD recording time: The on-screen indication of the possible recording time left on HDD/DVD may differ from the actual recordable time as this unit employs the variable bit rate encoding system which varies the recording (storage) amount of data in conformity with the amount of information on the video."

In other words, when planning important recordings, keep in mind that the remaining recording time for a particular speed, many not be completely accurate.
post #9648 of 27999 Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 PM

Hello,
I have several titles saved to HDD on my 3575, but when I hit the title button, title previews won't play, and when I select to either resume playback or start one from beginning, it won't play. Record time shows proper time recorded (1hr). If I exit from the title list, my sound is off until I re-power the unit.

This started after I deleted several titles earlier in the day, before which all was well. After deleting, a "frozen" title became the first title in the list ( 0 time, red dot on preview), which I can't delete. I searched through this thread and understand this can be problematic to remove, but nothing that it would affect other titles.

BTW, if I select and edit a title, the preview window does begin to play.
Any help on fixing this appreciated.
Jim
post #9649 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys thanks for the replies.
First off I have been reading the info in the "View in single post"
I hope Funai is kicking some back to wajo!
I have a newer Samsung LCD that feeds my home theater receiver via optical cable and OTA does come through in 5.1 when the coax is connected directly from the antenna and included in the broadcast.
NBA championship games have the announcers on the center channel and crowd noise at rear with game action (dunks) front sides with sub doing its thing.
I have not tried it passing through the 2160 but it should not strip out 5.1
My 500 watt Samsung home theater receiver also has the DVD player in it so the only thing going to the TV via HDMI is the picture when I watch a DVD.
As far as editing home movies and adding music over the original sound (while still hearing original) maybe just burning all the raw footage to a DVD with the 2160 then using a PC with movie maker would be the easiest.
Does anyone know the format of a finalized disk from these machines?
Thanks again for the replies,
Dan "lexpilot"
post #9650 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjim1 View Post

Hello,
I have several titles saved to HDD on my 3575, but when I hit the title button, title previews won't play, and when I select to either resume playback or start one from beginning, it won't play. Record time shows proper time recorded (1hr). If I exit from the title list, my sound is off until I re-power the unit.

This started after I deleted several titles earlier in the day, before which all was well. After deleting, a "frozen" title became the first title in the list ( 0 time, red dot on preview), which I can't delete. I searched through this thread and understand this can be problematic to remove, but nothing that it would affect other titles.

BTW, if I select and edit a title, the preview window does begin to play.
Any help on fixing this appreciated.
Jim

A few weeks, ago I got a Red Dot title on my DVDR3576. I was watching the first of 2 scheduled back to back recordings, while that program was still being recorded, and using Skip. etc. when the tuner switched to the second recording. When I later went to the Title menu, I saw 2 copies of the second recording, and both had the red dot. At the end of the scheduled time, the second copy of the second recording ended normally, but I still had a 0 length Red Dot one.

I saved the un-edited good copy of the second recording(to a DVD+RW), and then tried to delete both. I did not want to do any intervening recording or editing, because of my fears that the 2 copies might be linked in the file tables.

I had no problems getting rid of the properly ended file, but I could not originally get rid of the one with the Red Dot. I was also experiencing sound loss when I went into the Title menu, and I had to power cycle to get sound back.

I happened to go into the Title Menu and selected the Red Dot file. I then initiated a power cycle(Using the Remote), from within the Title Menu system(by accident). When I powered up, and went into the Title Menu, the Red Dot was gone, and I was able to delete the zero length file. After that my sound loss also stopped.

I don't know whether the power down with the problem file selected in the Title Menu actually cleared the Red Dot, or it was just coincidence, but you could give it a try. I don't think it could make things worse.

Good Luck!

FYI: I later dubbed the un-edited file back onto the HDD and did a successful edit and save to DVD.
post #9651 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpilot View Post

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
First off I have been reading the info in the "View in single post"
I hope Funai is kicking some back to wajo!
Dan "lexpilot"

Could you expand your question? I was unaware that a finalized disk could be done in different formats. All my DVD burners just say finalize. No options indicated to change the format.
post #9652 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

I think I did, but it was a long while ago since I set it up, though, so I could be wrong there That would be the ideal setup for someone with an older receiver. When I have a chance, I will try this to see if the H2160 Digital Audio coax passes DD 5.1 from DVD movies and from its tuner.

From post #45:

Some notes on DD5.1 over HDMI :

DD5.1 will be compressed by this DVDR thru the tuner or line inputs to DD2.0, its default audio compression scheme

I never would have started this sub-thread if I had read this first. Sorry.
post #9653 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM

I have another noob question/clarification.

I moved an older TV from the patio into a spare bedroom for my sister-in-law that's visiting for a few days and plugged in the cable coax to see what it'd pick up. Much to my surprise, it picked up tons of channels perfectly, just the premium channels were missing. I was surprised, thinking all cable channels were now digital. I guess I can enjoy it until they shut down all the analog channels?

So, that means I'm getting a bunch of analog channels, right...since the coax was plugged directly into the (definitely non-digital) TV without the Comcast digital box?

Do I need a splitter to receive & record those same channels on my 2160 while watching different channels through the Comcast HD box equipped TV in the other room; or can I just hook the coax direct into the 2160 and run another coax out to the cable box?
post #9654 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

I have another noob question/clarification.

I moved an older TV from the patio into a spare bedroom for my sister-in-law that's visiting for a few days and plugged in the cable coax to see what it'd pick up. Much to my surprise, it picked up tons of channels perfectly, just the premium channels were missing. I was surprised, thinking all cable channels were now digital. I guess I can enjoy it until they shut down all the analog channels?

So, that means I'm getting a bunch of analog channels, right...since the coax was plugged directly into the (definitely non-digital) TV without the Comcast digital box?

Do I need a splitter to receive & record those same channels on my 2160 while watching different channels through the Comcast HD box equipped TV in the other room; or can I just hook the coax direct into the 2160 and run another coax out to the cable box?

No splitter needed, just run coax in and out, plus the line connection needed to see internal 2160 stuff. Do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analofg/Digital) and see what you get... should be the same as the TV picked up w/o the box.
post #9655 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

New In Box (NIB) MDR513H on e-bay now currently bid at $154.50. It'll be interesting to see where this goes... less than 5 hours left.

If interested, click here.
post #9656 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpilot View Post

Dan "lexpilot"

MPEG-2 encoding, DVD-Video format. Any DVD editing/authoring program will import what's in the VIDEO_TS folder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9657 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 AM

For those of you who are struggling with the many AV formats out there - as I am - I found this on the DIVX web site. The link at the bottom gives a nice table comparing the various formats. Need to scroll down to near the bottom of the page.

>>>>Supported formats
Keeping track of what video is in what format and what player supports what extension can be painful. DivX Plus Player works behind the scenes so you don't need to know anything about video files, containers or require an advanced degree in codec technology to enjoy digital video. For those of you that actually want to know the details of DivX Plus Player, the following table explains the native and extended format support capabilities.<<<<

http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/player

Jer
post #9658 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

just came across this in the manual ( I know... don't laugh). Not sure it's accurate,but it might answer the question about remaining HDD space

If there is not enough recordable space on HDD to
record from the selected point to current point, you
cannot record the content of autostart recording.
When you record the content of the autostart
recording, the recording mode will be SP.

Also, didn't realize it records at SP. Might be useful when trying to estimate remaining space.
post #9659 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Hi Doc1,

Would you mind expanding on these a little? I do not understand.

Jer

My TV has USB ports and a built in media player. It will play various formats including DIVX. Just plug in a thumb drive or USB drive and it will play the files directly. There are also small media players that do the same thing that you can purchase separately, there is an entire subforum here as AVS discussing them. It may be a good alternative if you don't want to devote the space to a separate DVD player, they start at about $70 and can play hidef files.

Walmart sells Phillips DVD players that play DIVX for $40. I have three of them.

If you have any further questions PM me, I don't want to hijack this thread.
post #9660 of 27999 Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Love my 2160A that I got about a week ago. One observation is the clunking sound that lasts about 2 seconds when the Maggie is turned on. The only problem that this presents to me occurs when the timer is set for the early morning (eg 4:30AM), and Maggie wakes me up (I'm a light sleeper). Is the source of this sound the HDD coming to life? Is this noise normal?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page