Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #9931 of 27986 Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Can the 2160a be configured to stretch 4:3 to 16:9? The 3575 has that option but I couldn't find such a setting on the 2160a.
I think the 3575(and DVD players in general) do a better job than having the TV do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 27986 Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Can the 2160a be configured to stretch 4:3 to 16:9? The 3575 has that option but I couldn't find such a setting on the 2160a.
I think the 3575(and DVD players in general) do a better job than having the TV do it.

It's the same TV Aspect setting as in the 3575, as described here.
post #9933 of 27986 Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New DUB QP test, of course wajo and the other experts are right:

Original

Dubbed in High Speed

Dubbed in Real Time

Until now, the RTD image has more pixels (yes is more info per frame, not a good thing, I guess) and the colors are less strong that the HSD image. In both cases a 200% zoom is required to notice the imperfections, but my job is to ask (and be sure) about that. In anycase I'll keep the tests.

Original

Dubbed in High Speed

Dubbed in Real Time

In both DUB cases the edges of the picture were cropped by the Funai. Now, I must put in clear if the HSD files will work fine in my video editing software. Not problems with the RTD. Thanks guys for your patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi guys, i have a question for all of you. a month ago i cancelled cable and am using an ota for both of my samsung lcd tv's-is it worth buying the 2160 so i can record football games in the fall? at some point i may go back to cable but am pretty disgusted with their price hikes and i see it will also work with cable. is the pictureqquality of the recordings decent on the 2160? thanks guys
post #9935 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Micro Center has the 500g Caviar Green on sale for $50, maybe I'll pick one up as a backup.

Newegg has a special on the Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive through July 14. With the promo code on the page, the price is $39.99. Good deal... and, free shipping too!
post #9936 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnpei View Post

hi guys, i have a question for all of you. a month ago i cancelled cable and am using an ota for both of my samsung lcd tv's-is it worth buying the 2160 so i can record football games in the fall? at some point i may go back to cable but am pretty disgusted with their price hikes and i see it will also work with cable. is the pictureqquality of the recordings decent on the 2160? thanks guys

Here's my opinion of PQ.
post #9937 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
help with play back issues.. with the Mag 2160a
in the pause TV mode.. during play back.. there is a section of the recording that is stopping briefly like there is a fault in the HDD or something.. it pixulates..sp and continues to play the about a min later this happens again.. screen freezes and the pixulates a bit.. and continues to play..

i really like this machine and this has only started to happen..
any ideas for a fix.. short of sending it back?
post #9938 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:

The recording quality from an HD signal is close to commercial DVD quality if you record in high quality. It is softer than HD but still looks pretty good.

I bought a tuner for my computer. For things I want to save in HD, I fire up the computer and record it there. I can copy the file to a hard drive and play it on the TV with a media player.
post #9939 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post

in the pause TV mode.. during play back.. there is a section of the recording that is stopping briefly like there is a fault in the HDD or something.. it pixulates..sp and continues to play the about a min later this happens again.. screen freezes and the pixulates a bit.. and continues to play..

At least three possibilities:

1. It's in the broadcast and nothing you can do about it. The transition to digital is still a work-in-progress and it's not unusual for programs to have macroblocking (MB) or "pixelation." You can only confirm this if it appears on live TV at times or you get lucky like me.

2. Your digital signal is too strong, as described here, and you're recording that signal with the MB/freezing it produces. You can easily check for this with the "Hang-by-a-Thread" test described in the link if you can get a live TV pic that shows MB/freezing at the time (i.e., see if it clears up during the test).

3. Your HDD has a "bad spot" like my refurb'd 3575 had at one time, which has now been "healed" as described here. A bad spot can be caused by a power outage while recording or other unusual event, or it could just be a defective HDD.

You might try one of the HDD checking procedures, SKIP 079 or SKIP 013, however, both of those will lose your recorded titles, as described here.
post #9940 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

A couple of things.

I've been able to shut a frozen machine off by pressing and holding the STOP button, then pressing the power button, both on front of unit.

I have a refurb'd 3575 with a bad/noisy HDD that used to freeze with red System Error during playback of 1st three titles or so (early portion of blank drive), but this has "healed" itself... still noisy but no freezes.

Before my miracle cure, I had tried SKIP 079 several times but it would never complete. I then did a SKIP 013 HDD Factory Check, which found the media "NG." I'm thnking these might have done "something" nevertheless.

If you get to a good point on HDD titles, I'd suggest a SKIP 013 to test the HDD and see if it finds the heads and media still OK.

no its not a complete freez is just a bit of a quick freez and continues playing and about 30 min into recording it clears up.. and i did not start doing so untill yesterday.. i hate to loose all my titles but i guess it serves me right for not watching them.. but any how i will try the skip procedure and im really not wanting to send it back since im up grading the HD soon.. i was thinking fragmentation issues.. but i dunno..

thanks for the suggestions..

GReat THREAD!! learning a lot...
post #9941 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

no its not a complete freez is just a bit of a quick freez and continues playing and about 30 min into recording it clears up.. and i did not start doing so untill yesterday.. i hate to loose all my titles but i guess it serves me right for not watching them.. but any how i will try the skip procedure and im really not wanting to send it back since im up grading the HD soon.. i was thinking fragmentation issues.. but i dunno..

thanks for the suggestions..

GReat THREAD!! learning a lot...

I'm glad you mentioned "fragmentation" because that's actually a fourth possibility. I assume you mentioned that because you've got lots of titles on the HDD and have done lots of editing? If so, that can be solved easily by just offloading or deleting HDD titles, last-in first-out (LIFO) since the newest titles are the ones that would be most fragmented, as explained here.

Check this out first before you decide to do a SKIP procedure.
post #9942 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I read the thread under Record & Copy to HDD and the "Recording/Copying from a STB or STB/DVR ...... TIPS FOR STB/DVR/DTA USERS" thread , but am still getting a E25 error that it cannot record. This is for the magnavox 2160 and is hooked up to a Comcast STB(no DVR) RNG110, via composite cables to L1 or L2(tried both) and seems to work initially, but then when I set it to kick off over night, it gives the E25 next to the Timer recordings slot. I also have a Philips 3575 hooked to a Comcast DVR and it records fine(as long as I leave the DVR on when recording).

Any suggestions?

Todd
post #9943 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tws1958 View Post

I read the thread under Record & Copy to HDD and the "Recording/Copying from a STB or STB/DVR ...... TIPS FOR STB/DVR/DTA USERS" thread , but am still getting a E25 error that it cannot record. This is for the magnavox 2160 and is hooked up to a Comcast STB(no DVR) RNG110, via composite cables to L1 or L2(tried both) and seems to work initially, but then when I set it to kick off over night, it gives the E25 next to the Timer recordings slot. I also have a Philips 3575 hooked to a Comcast DVR and it records fine(as long as I leave the DVR on when recording).

Any suggestions?

Todd

Are you using a HDMI connection between the RNG110 and the TV?

Are you using a HDMI connection between the 2160 and the TV?

With HDMI activation/connectivity you're more susceptible to "handshake" and "copy protection" issues.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9944 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:

labnpei -

As to your question "is the pictureqquality of the recordings decent on the 2160?", my answer would be an unqualified YES. However, picture quality is a very subjective topic. You mention having two Samsung LCD TV's. What size are they? 19 inch or 82 inch? What are their native resolutions? etc., etc., etc.

All my TV viewing is OTA, and from my personal experience, I have found PQ of the H2160 to be outstanding. I cannot see any difference in PQ between a live 1080i local news broadcast and that same program recorded on the H2160A at SP speed. (Neither do I see any difference in PQ between recordings made using either the HQ or the SP speeds, when viewed on my Samsung 32" 720p HDTV.)

Keep in mind the H2160's (and the new MDR513H) both have built-in ATSC/NTSC tuner's which are SD (Standard Definition) not HD (High Definition). Therefore, if your Samsung's are in the "large" category, the PQ you see may be reduced.

Something else to mull over. In the new 3D HDTV's, unless your actually watching a 3D Blue-ray (1920 x 2160 resolution) movie, a 3D broadcast from cable or satellite wll be 960 x 1080 resolution, so each eye will see its own 540p image about half the resolution of 1080p. (That's close to SD (standard definition) of 480i) Then there's the scaling problem of trying to match dot-for-dot in LCD's with 720p or 1080p native-resolution, to non-native resolution material.

As I said, PQ is a very personal and subjective thing, but I think you'll find the H2160 a great addition to your entertainment center.

ww
post #9945 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

The quality of playback is very high and, while not HD, you would have to do a side-by-side comparison to see the differences. Especially with Fox and ABC still sending out 720p. But.

Is your cable clear QAM for the channels you want? Are you using your TV speakers? If yes to both, then get a one new from Walmart for $200 and I doubt you will regret it.

You haven't said if you will be going the cable HD path. If not and you are going to rent their box, you will be getting an SD cable signal at 480i and this discussion is probably not needed since the quality is the same live or with the 2160. Depends on who has the best scalar chip.
post #9946 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

All channels? Certain channels? Your cable feed may have been getting bad data from the source. I had to scrap the USA network SD signal last weekend due to severe pixelation. I called Tuesday. I was fixed the next day. NBC/U seems the worst offender. Nice that those channels will be owned by Comcast soon. We can all look forward to that.
post #9947 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Are you using a HDMI connection between the RNG110 and the TV?

Are you using a HDMI connection between the 2160 and the TV?

With HDMI activation/connectivity you're more susceptible to "handshake" and "copy protection" issues.

I have both connected. I saw the thread talking about this, but the only outputs on the STB is HDMI, Composite or component. So I ran the Composite to the 2160 to the L1(tried L2 also with same result). I unplugged the HDMI from the 2160 and tried to record, but no luck. I unplugged the HDMI on the STB and tried to record with no luck. Do I have to remove both HDMIs at the same time? I cannot really do this as the wife would go ballistic as she already complains the setup and function is too hard to remember...
post #9948 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's the same TV Aspect setting as in the 3575, as described here.

Wow that link is a handful I share your rant about aspect ratios.
All I know is when he plays 4:3 DVDs on his Philips(displayed on his 16:9 TV via HDMI) it fills his screen with the TV set to normal. When he plays the same DVDs on his Magnavox(also via HDMI with his TV set to normal) he sees a 4:3 picture with black bars on the left and right. He can set his TV to wide to fill his screen but the 3575 seems to do a better job stretching than his TV(or he seems to think so).
He likes the way the Philips behaves but I couldn't find a setting in the Magnavox to make it like the Philips
post #9949 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have both connected. I saw the thread talking about this, but the only outputs on the STB is HDMI, Composite or component. So I ran the Composite to the 2160 to the L1(tried L2 also with same result). I unplugged the HDMI from the 2160 and tried to record, but no luck. I unplugged the HDMI on the STB and tried to record with no luck. Do I have to remove both HDMIs at the same time? I cannot really do this as the wife would go ballistic as she already complains the setup and function is too hard to remember...

Something simple to try, an "ordered" power-on:

1. Turn everything off and leave HDMI connection to TV and composite connection from RNG to 2160 in, as before.
2. Turn RNG on and wait till it's up and running.
3. Turn TV on.
4. Turn 2160 on.
5. See if anything changes?
post #9950 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

On the 2160 remote there is a HDMI button. Press that button to deactivate HDMI for the 2160 itself. Then try recording to see if you continue to get the E25. If you wife complains just reconnect the HDMI cable and press the HDMI button to re-activate that connection.

I've read that HDMI connectivity of any kind establishes certain handshake protocals. Some of those protocals have to do with "copy protection." I'm just suggesting that this might have something to do with your E25 situation. I don't use HDMI connectivity so I have no personal experience in this area.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9951 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow that link is a handful I share your rant about aspect ratios.
All I know is when he plays 4:3 DVDs on his Philips(displayed on his 16:9 TV via HDMI) it fills his screen with the TV set to normal. When he plays the same DVDs on his Magnavox(also via HDMI with his TV set to normal) he sees a 4:3 picture with black bars on the left and right. He can set his TV to wide to fill his screen but the 3575 seems to do a better job stretching than his TV(or he seems to think so).
He likes the way the Philips behaves but I couldn't find a setting in the Magnavox to make it like the Philips

Hmm, just to reconfirm, I played an old 4:3 VHS transfer from both my 3575 and 2160 and got the same result. 3575/2160 TV Aspect setting has no effect on a 4:3 program, but I played with both settings anyway:

1. With TV on Wide, got stretched pic to fill the screen.

2. With TV on Normal, got 4:3 pic with bars on sides.

Got the same result thru all four HDMI formats.

Only odd screen-fill occurred when I accidentally pressed the TV's Zoom button.

Can't explain the diff. he sees.
post #9952 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks for trying, someday I may experiment by switching the HDMI inputs on his TV. It's possible they act differently. Until then he knows how to use the TVs wide button if need be.
Now that I think about it I wonder if one is setup to upconvert to HD while the other is setup for 480i output, that would make sense. Many times TVs will handle SD or HD inputs differently, that's probably it
post #9953 of 27986 Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

...I couldn't find a setting in the Magnavox to make it like the Philips

As mentioned earlier, the Philips and Maggie have exactly the same control settings in exactly the same place in the menus.

Using the Maggie's menus, go where you found the aspect ratio controls on the Philips. They'll be right there.
post #9954 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 04:35 AM

hi guys, as i said i am now using ota only-i have a 46" samsung lcd and a 52". both are very good picture quality using my antennas. both are relatively new-one is 2 years old and the other i purchased last year. if/when i go back to cable it would be hd. i just want something decent i can use to record and be able to use if/when i go back to cable and for ota. i don't want to pay a monthly fee to use it to record shows either, that seems like a waste of money to me. so any suggestions or opinions are welcomed. thanks guys
post #9955 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

hi guys, as i said i am now using ota only-i have a 46" samsung lcd and a 52". both are very good picture quality using my antennas. both are relatively new-one is 2 years old and the other i purchased last year. if/when i go back to cable it would be hd. i just want something decent i can use to record and be able to use if/when i go back to cable and for ota. i don't want to pay a monthly fee to use it to record shows either, that seems like a waste of money to me. so any suggestions or opinions are welcomed. thanks guys

No answers to replies to your post #9940?
post #9956 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any DVDR that you purchase today will work fine for OTA recording at SD quality. Buying a 2160 or 513 will not give you a HD recording today or when you go back to HD cable. They will do a fine job of recording an HD signal in SD though.
post #9957 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Hi, I just picked up a Philips sru4208wm/17 at Walmart on clearance. Just wanted everyone to know this works the 2160 perfectly with the Magnavox DVD+R new code. I just had to program a few functions like the HDD, DVD, skip, etc. I'm writing because when I searched this thread there have been few success stories with cheap remotes. Is there a list buried here of ones known to work?
post #9958 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirayge View Post

Hi, I just picked up a Philips sru4208wm/17 at Walmart on clearance. Just wanted everyone to know this works the 2160 perfectly with the Magnavox DVD+R new code. I just had to program a few functions like the HDD, DVD, skip, etc. I'm writing because when I searched this thread there have been few success stories with cheap remotes. Is there a list buried here of ones known to work?

It's a good idea! perhaps that's another category on Wajo's first page. Here are the 2 cheap remotes that I've used with the 2160/A successfully. Like you've experienced, I only had to program a few special buttons that the 2160 has, most of the DVDR-type buttons work right away.

Sony RM-V610
URC- 8820N
post #9959 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Universal Remotes

Is anyone using a Universal Remote? If so, please post this info, as listed, so it's easy to read and compare:
  1. Remote model #.
  2. ALL Philips/Mag DVDR model(s) that CAN use this remote (not just the ones YOU currently use it on).
  3. Code(s), if any.
  4. Any special tips on programming, ops, etc.

Discrete Source Commands - People needing a program command to directly select an external input on these DVDRs can use the "Source" button command if they use E1/L1 only since that's always the input first selected when pressing that button. Another command for direct selection is the PhilMag keypad numbers 001 for E1/L1 and 002 for E2/L2.

JP1 Programmable RemotesHere's a chart of JP1 remotes. Wiki info is here.
Member mdavej has many resources for JP1 remotes. See his AVS Signature here for links.
Open the Spoiler window below to see mdavej's list of codes for the Mag DVDRs. Here are his instructions.
These codes work on any UEI (One-for-all, RCA RCRP05B, Atlas, Comcast, Acoustic Research, Cox, Slingbox, Vizio, etc. - about 60 models in all) using DVD code 0675 (20675). (Click to show)
Command EFC
Power 00169
num_0 00038
num_1 00168
num_2 00166
num_3 00170
num_4 00037
num_5 00041
num_6 00039
num_7 00043
num_8 00036
num_9 00040
CH+ 00148
CH- 00152
Exit 00139
Menu 00137
Info 00154
up_arrow 00138
down_arrow 00005
left_arrow 00136
right_arrow 00134
Select 00135
Play 00230
Pause 00235
rewind 00103
ffwd 00107
Stop 00197
Record 00026
Clear 00229
Eject 00164
Chapter+ 00234
Chapter- 00232
. 00062
Audio 00011
DTV/TV 00064
Dubbing 00023
HDMI 00105
Input DVD 00125
Input HDD 00129
Main Menu 00132
Rapid Plan 00021
Record Mode 00025
Repeat 00101
Skip- 00255
Skip+ 00003
Source 00150
Space 00038
Timer 00151

Comcast Remote - vickyg2003 operates some functions of her Mag 515 (and by default all the Mag HDD DVDRS) with Code 0675 on her "Comcast remote." More info here.

Dish Remote - Millom98 found a code, 661, for his VIP211k Dish satellite remote that works for playback (no recording) with his Mag 515. More info here.

Originally Posted by dspman View Post

1. Philips SRP5105WM/17
  2. Mag 2160/2160A/513/515.
  3. Code: 1056.
  4. A good replacement currently (Jan 2012) selling at WalMart for $10. Funai code 1056 found most of the buttons without reprogramming, and other essential buttons easily learned if still working on original remote.

Also works on Mag ZV457MG9 DVDR/VCR combo, same code. I bought two of these remotes instead of paying $20 for a single H2160 remote replacement. The original remote now stored only for backup and to reprogram buttons, as reqd.

Also works on Dish/Echostar DVR625 (Code 3966).

He has lots more info on Mag programming, etc. here.

1. Philips SRP5107WM/17
  2. Code, Device, Device button
    1. Code 3211, Vizio HDTV, TV button (operates 3 diff. models here).
    2. Code 1056, Mags, DVR button.
    3. Code 2195, Philips, DVD button.
    4. Code 2153, Panny AV, AUX button.
  3. Lots more info & pics here.

3/13/12 - I just set up the next gen. of this 7-device Philips learning remote, SRP5107WM/17 to replace FOUR remotes previously used with my main stack.

Operates my 3575, 2160, 513 and 515, plus my Vizio HDTV and old Panasonic AV receiver. Codes for over 625 brands, 60 buttons max memory. Nice shape and feel. 11 DVDR/TV/AVR-specific buttons needed learning from those remotes. It controls TV audio while using any other device.

Most importantly, my "I-don't-like-new-things" wife/CFO LIKES IT! Took her one night to get used to it.

Originally Posted by mirayge View Post

1. SRU4208WM/17
  3. Code: 1542.
  4. Look for your code under DVD-Recorders if no code under combo devices then program a couple of unused Tivo buttons to switch between HDD and DVD modes. Only thing I use the original remote for is titles. Adds volume control for TV or sound system.

Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

1. URC- 8820N.
  2. Mag 2160/2160A/513.
  3. Code 0675.
  4. Had to program a few special buttons that the 2160 has but most of the DVDR-type buttons work right away. It has one specific feature that is great for channel surfing, especially after a channel scan: the "fav" button. Using this "fav" button after a channel scan, you can put the surf in automatic mode, and it will cycle through all channels automatically, no need to push channel button one by one. So, after you've done a AON Procedure, or perhaps just want to see what QAM channels were added or moved around by your cableco, you can use this button to start surfing. Each channel is displayed briefly for about 3 seconds (press "fav' again to stop and press "fav" to continue).
  1. Sony RM-V610.
  3. Code: 0220, but need to learn many buttons after assigning code.
  4. Even though one Sony code works, the button mapping has some weird assignments so I've learned ~50% of the buttons to match them more closely to the OEM button names or positions.

Even after Sony has added more DVR-type buttons to the VL610 (e.g. Page+, Page-, List,...), it still does not have a dedicated "Live" or "Pause Live TV" button. However, this remote has so many buttons (63) that it's easy to exactly match the 2160 buttons, except for the 2160-specific ones like DTV/TV, HDD, DVD. I think the only way we can fully duplicate the 2160 remote buttons is using a more expensive remote that has LCD screen and soft buttons. These days, refurbished Harmony remotes that can do this can be purchased for 30 to 60 bucks.

1. Sony RM-VL600.
  2. Philips 3575/3576.
  3. Code: (don't remember).
  4. Worked but needs 13 more buttons to make it useable by non-gearheads. Underwhelmed my wife, as described in #6 here!

Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

1. Logitech Harmony 620.
  2. Mag 2160/2160A/513/515 (tested on 2160A).
  3. Code: in Harmony online database.
  4. Didn't have to learn any codes. Harmony is "activity centric" so I only program those buttons needed for a particular activity. The main thing to watch for (true for all devices controlled) is if you change activities, Harmony default is to turn off any device not needed in the new activity. So if you want the DVDR to remain powered up (for example to keep the catch-up buffer) you will have to program that.

Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

1. URC 8810 ($18 from WalMart @ 2002 and comes with jp1 connector).
  2. Philips 3575/3576 and Mag 2160/2160A/513/515.
  3. Code: 1340 and 0675, respectively.
    jp1 download for Philips 3575/3576.
    jp1 download for 2160/2160A/513.
  4. You'll need a special cable with a JP1 female on one end and a USB or serial port connection on the other end (whichever fits your PC), to get the usable file into the remote from your PC. Also, you'll need to "massage" the file prior to its importation so it's tailored for your particular JP1 remote (free software to do this is provided online). Be prepared to do some studying of the procedures to do this.

Originally Posted by sydyen View Post

One For All makes the 8810 and 8820 remotes already mentioned for this list, and the latest introduction comes as two models:
  1. RCA RCRP05B ($15 at Sears Item# 05714879000).
  4. You'll need a special cable with a JP1 female on one end and a USB or serial port connection on the other end (whichever fits your PC), to get the usable file into the remote from your PC. Also, you'll need to "massage" the file prior to its importation so it's tailored for your particular JP1 remote (free software to do this is provided online). Be prepared to do some studying of the procedures to do this.
  1. OFA OARP05S ($14 at Meijers).

The codes for both remotes are for DVDRs and only provide a handful of commands for a DVR (not even channels or channel numbers). On the plus side, the learning capability helps you customize as much as wanted, and the JP1 connector means you can control just about every key by uploading from your computer.

FWIW, these remotes have lots of buttons, so no worries about finding homes for the special/unusual Funai buttons.

Originally Posted by Kex View Post

1. Logitech Harmony 720.
  3. Harmony online database.
  4. Tips on programming, ops, etc.:

1. Using the channel +/- buttons for the skip forward/back feature meant much more intuitive skipping through commercials for me. I swapped these with the FF and RWD buttons, since I never really skip forward by one channel.
  2. I found setting the skip forward time at 30s, and skip back at 15s the best method to skip through commercials, and then skip back if I go too far.
  3. I set up one activity to watch TV, and a second activity to manage the recorder, since when in watch TV mode, most of the buttons such as "info" and "menu" pull up sattelite TV operations (if you use sat, of course), not those related to the recorder. Switching from either activity while watching is seamless, and never messes anything up.
  4. It's useful to add some convenient recorder commands to the LCD custom menu screen when in TV watching mode. The ones I found most useful were:

1. "Recording info" (the equivalent of pressing "info" or "Display" on the recorder remote), since the regular hard "info/display" button is already assigned to satellite info, and ...
  2. "Pause Mode ON" sequence macro, which basically presses the "Pause Live TV button" twice so that Live TV starts recording and gets immediately paused... this for the 3575/3576 only, which requires the double press (2160/513 are single press). Since pressing the button twice at once does not register, I added a "HDD mode" command in between the two "Pause Live TV" presses to create an artificial delay. When I've pressed this macro sequence once, I can then use the regular Pause and Play buttons to do anything I want during chase play.

post #9960 of 27986 Old 07-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

A good idea... only universal mentioned in the help files to this point was my story of a Sony RM-VL600 which underwhelmed my wife (#6 here)!

Even after Sony has added more DVR-type buttons to the VL610 (e.g. Page+, Page-, List,...), it still does not have a dedicated "Live" or "Pause Live TV" button. However, this remote has so many buttons (63) that it's easy to exactly match the 2160 buttons, except for the 2160-specific ones like DTV/TV, HDD, DVD. I think the only way we can fully duplicate the 2160 remote buttons is using a more expensive remote that has LCD screen and soft buttons. These days, refurbished Harmony remotes that can do this can be purchased for 30 to 60 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page