Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 394 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #11791 of 27986 Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Yeah, me too -- I really wouldn't want it to delete stuff I had on the HD, since I might not have dubbed it yet, and I dont want to have to "protect" things in the interim, cause then you'd probably have to remember to unprotect them, etc etc. High maintenance. I've gotten down to 0:0:0 time left and it's fine, you just delete stuff and make more room. (It also records til it runs out, so you might get a partial recording as you run out of space --it doesnt stop recording if there's insufficient time to complete)

Good to know! and you sound like somebody who truly needs a 500GB HDD upgrade what happened to that weekend project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 27986 Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I didn't see a firmware download URL at https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6962

http://funaiservice.com/information/firmware.cfm apparently kept immediate redirecting to a page that had nothing I could see but a link to a Flash video & the standard menus, and it referred to a different model DP170MGXF instead of my 2160A. When I told the browser to ignore site styles the download links all became visible, which allowed me to proceed.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #11793 of 27986 Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

I didn't see a firmware download URL at https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6962

http://funaiservice.com/information/firmware.cfm apparently kept immediate redirecting to a page that had nothing I could see but a link to a Flash video & the standard menus, and it referred to a different model DP170MGXF instead of my 2160A. When I told the browser to ignore site styles the download links all became visible, which allowed me to proceed.

Your link didn't work for me, so here's a link that should work for you.

When you click on the link there to the Funai FW donwload page, you have to click on the DVD Recorders tab to see the stuff for the 2160A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11794 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

post #11795 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Yeah, me too -- I really wouldn't want it to delete stuff I had on the HD, since I might not have dubbed it yet, and I dont want to have to "protect" things in the interim, cause then you'd probably have to remember to unprotect them, etc etc. High maintenance. I've gotten down to 0:0:0 time left and it's fine, you just delete stuff and make more room. (It also records til it runs out, so you might get a partial recording as you run out of space --it doesnt stop recording if there's insufficient time to complete)

While most viewers here would prefer the Manual option, there are thousands out there (the ones who help keep the unit on the market); Who could care less if something they recorded last month is gone, but they would not like to miss what could have recorded today, because the DVDR ran out of space. With a 500 gig drive, it may take some people several months to fill it up. In Austinsho's case, he would prefer that the programming would drop off automatically. That is why I said make the Manual the defualt option, but still have an Automatic one also. I think the reason that there is no option now, is that people did complain they were loosing shows they had not gotten around to seeing, but with larger hard drives, I feel that the option may be viable again.
post #11796 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have the HSD times changed (gotten faster) for the 515? Has anyone done any testing?
post #11797 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Have the HSD times changed (gotten faster) for the 515? Has anyone done any testing?

I have and it's the same as the 2160A, ~16 min. for 2 hrs SP.
post #11798 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

While most viewers here would prefer the Manual option, there are thousands out there (the ones who help keep the unit on the market); Who could care less if something they recorded last month is gone, but they would not like to miss what could have recorded today, because the DVDR ran out of space. With a 500 gig drive, it may take some people several months to fill it up. In Austinsho's case, he would prefer that the programming would drop off automatically. That is why I said make the Manual the defualt option, but still have an Automatic one also. I think the reason that there is no option now, is that people did complain they were loosing shows they had not gotten around to seeing, but with larger hard drives, I feel that the option may be viable again.

I'm sure the thousands out there that you have talked with are happy you are standing up for what they want in a DVR.

In the mean time, YOUR opinion will be given the same weight as everyone else's.

Might I suggest instead a feature similar to what some VCR's had? My old VCR would lower the record speed to EP if the record time exceeded the time remaining on the tape. That makes more sense than anything else.
post #11799 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Might I suggest instead a feature similar to what some VCR's had? My old VCR would lower the record speed to EP if the record time exceeded the time remaining on the tape. That makes more sense than anything else.
I remember that feature. I knew it existed but didn't really start using it until late in the VCR Era, when I realized it was a handy way to use up every last bit of tape and get better PQ for at least part of the program as a bonus!

I guess the value of auto delete/auto "speed" adjustment depends a lot on how you use your DVR-type device, including the 515. Some users probably just want to always have plenty of programming to choose from to watch whenever they have time, and if they haven't watched something in a month or two, don't mind it disappearing b/c it'll be replaced by something new and equally appealing.

Some are targeting specific programs for time-shift and/or archive.

I just love how versatile these machines are.....
post #11800 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

See, where I think this is a really silly idea is these aren't TiVos.
You don't program a season of a show all at once and it doesn't record programs or movies it has learned you might like.

Anything you set a timer for, you do manually. Most shows don't stay in the same time slot for more than a month or two before being pre-empted or moved, so you will have to reprogram them by hand again.

If you set your timer, you must be explicitly intending to record something... and theoretically watch. If you make a habit of recording shows but not bothering to delete them, how are these older shows any more or less important than new shows you might not watch either?

Yet you would make the decision for others that programs THEY intentionally recorded are NOT important if they're saved them.

It's basically a feature that assumes people are too stupid to know that the hard drive is full of programs they intentionally recorded but don't remember are there(?)

How about a simple warning screen there are outstanding programs to be recorded in the next xx hours and the hard drive does not have enough space?

Don't forget, this would be a feature on newer drives, not the one you currently have. So you are talking between 103-620 hours of programs on a 500gb drive. If you are filling that much space, you don't know with what, and you can't figure out how to delete a program that you don't want to make room, I think it's time you just unplugged the DVR from the wall and read a book.

I mean fine, if it is a feature that can be disabled, okay, but I absolutely don't think it should be anywhere near the top of the wish list or discussed at length.

USB ports, DivX/x264 playback, HD recording or playback, DD5.1, sortable menus, or any of the other 40+ things on the wishlist actually serve a real purpose rather than adding a feature to be your mother.

No flame intended, just my $.02.
post #11801 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

I remember that feature. I knew it existed but didn't really start using it until late in the VCR Era, when I realized it was a handy way to use up every last bit of tape and get better PQ for at least part of the program as a bonus!

I guess the value of auto delete/auto "speed" adjustment depends a lot on how you use your DVR-type device, including the 515. Some users probably just want to always have plenty of programming to choose from to watch whenever they have time, and if they haven't watched something in a month or two, don't mind it disappearing b/c it'll be replaced by something new and equally appealing.

Some are targeting specific programs for time-shift and/or archive.

I just love how versatile these machines are.....

True, they are getting more features all the time. I think that's called entropy. Eventually they will have so many features that a forum like this one will be almost mandatory. There is no room in the current CE world for an attitude of 'my way is right', but plenty of room for feedback and wishes. I wish a lot too. I also know that the more complex a machine gets the better chance for failure. If 'rock solid' was a primary goal, we would have fewer updates (no offence). Perfection is a dream in the minds of all of us. I'll be happy with 'value', which I get from my 2160A.

I like watching TV. I have no emotional attachment to recording TV. That comes during playback. With a 500gb disk, mostly with 60 minute titles, and you run out of space, well...... Sorry I don't want to offend anyone or get off topic on personal issues. Each to their own. Every voice IS welcome here.
post #11802 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM

To each his own. Like Joe, I have no emotional attachment to recorded TV programs (especially with ones that you never have time to watch). So I would vote for the option to auto-delete oldest programs. Because like previously mentioned, newer programs are more important, and you don't want to miss that. IMHO.
post #11803 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Warning - new, wordy user to the forum...

Where have you been all my life!? Sorry about the newbie enthusiasm. But this latest HDD DVR Magnavox 515 seems like the best thing since sliced bread! All kidding aside it seems to be a well-rounded and fairly priced machine from a company that takes note of AVS suggestions for improvement.

Ever since TV went all-digital/ATSC there have been precious few ways to record OTA broadcasts (besides DVD-R). I have been scouring the internet and this forum--waiting with baited breath for the usual legacy manufacturers like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, etc to produce a nice HDD recorder. No such luck!

Dare I say it almost seems like a conspiracy. One can imagine the cable/sattelite providers colluding with hardware companies or putting subtle pressure on the market to not produce any HDD devices. All they want are their Fees Fees Fees! Maybe in the face of this terrible 2+ year recession people will rethink paying monthly fees and see the wisdom of a one-time investment in a sensible piece of technology. Granted it's only OTA TV--but hey, it's crisp, free and it's got a lot more content now!

I know--it's a little paranoid to say things like this. But geez you think that the legacy companies would make a simple machine for those who want to watch and record terrestrial TV. There has got to be a bit of a market for it. This latest iteration of the Funai/Philips/Magnavox recorder seems to fit the bill.

Questions

I have read many AVS posts on the various DVR's and the Magnavox in particular. Still I have some questions about the 515 for those who may know:

1. What outputs does this thing have? In trying to find the answer I searched for an online manual from the Magnavox site. Magnavox doesn't seem to have one for the most recent model 515, but only for the 513. I have a standard-def Sony CRT television which is fine for us. It has RF, video, composite, and component inputs. On their website Magnavox shows the 515 has all these outputs plus HDMI, so I would think it would be able to physically connect.

2. What signal does the 515 send out? Again, my TV is an old 480 pixel CRT 4:3 screen. Will the Magnavox 515 play on an old NTSC analog TV?

3. What format does it store files in? Does it record in HD or SD? If I ever drop the change for an HDTV will the shows look good on the wider Hi-Def screen or will they be a granulated squished analog type picture? One reference at Magnavox mentioned "SD output" and that it upconverted DVD's to approximate 1080 clarity--a bit confusing.

4. Can you watch live TV without recording? Can you use the device as just a HDTV reciever? I would prefer not to wear out the HDD each time I flip on the TV to watch live programs. I suppose this question relates to the number of tuners in the device. I think it only has one. I imagine that you can watch a recorded show and record a live TV program, but can you do the reverse?

5. Anyone else bought one?

Any links would be helpful. I've searched this forum, Magnavox, even Philips and Funai sites but a complete manual is lacking. I guess I'll just have to buy one.

Thanks,

Newbie out.
post #11804 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3propose View Post

Questions

I have read many AVS posts on the various DVR's and the Magnavox in particular. Still I have some questions about the 515 for those who may know:

First, welcome to this forum!

Quote:

1. What outputs does this thing have? In trying to find the answer I searched for an online manual from the Magnavox site. Magnavox doesn't seem to have one for the most recent model 515, but only for the 513. I have a standard-def Sony CRT television which is fine for us. It has RF, video, composite, and component inputs. On their website Magnavox shows the 515 has all these outputs plus HDMI, so I would think it would be able to physically connect.

RF, Composite YWR, S-Video, Component RGB, and HDMI (for your next HDTV someday).

Here's the help file on Connections.

Quote:

2. What signal does the 515 send out? Again, my TV is an old 480 pixel CRT 4:3 screen. Will the Magnavox 515 play on an old NTSC analog TV?

Yes, but in today's age of mixed 4:3 and 16:9 WS, you'll have to decide if you want to record WS stuff so it looks right on your 4:3 TV today, or if you want it to look outstanding when you get your 16:9 HDTV someday.

The Mag records in either 4:3 letterbox (the default) or in 16:9 Wide, which you have to set in the Video > TV Aspect menu.

Here's a help file on WS.

Quote:

3. What format does it store files in? Does it record in HD or SD? If I ever drop the change for an HDTV will the shows look good on the wider Hi-Def screen or will they be a granulated squished analog type picture? One reference at Magnavox mentioned "SD output" and that it upconverted DVD's to approximate 1080 clarity--a bit confusing.

It record everything in 480i SD, as reqd by the DVD spec. The coax circuit is an amplified splitter, with one leg for passthru of whatever signal the Mag receives, either SD or HD, so it just passes that on to your TV for tuning separately. Anything from the amp'd splitter thru the tuner or line inputs gets downrezzed to 480i, but you can upconvert that to 720p, 1080i or 1080p, however, it still won't be pure HD anymore... dgital channels look great, but not true HD.

Quote:

4. Can you watch live TV without recording? Can you use the device as just a HDTV reciever? I would prefer not to wear out the HDD each time I flip on the TV to watch live programs. I suppose this question relates to the number of tuners in the device. I think it only has one. I imagine that you can watch a recorded show and record a live TV program, but can you do the reverse?

You can certainly watch live TV thru the Mag 515, in fact it's preferred by many since it autorecords up to 6 hours in a background buffer, so you can press PAUSE and not miss a thing on live TV. You can also REWIND live TV and see what was on the channels you tuned in the past 6 hours (or whatever time you've had the unit on).

Only one tuner, but you can record one channel while watching another channel with your TV's tuner, or you can play a previously recorded HDD title or a home-recorded DVD or a commercial DVD movie while recording.

Here's a help file on PLTV.

Quote:

5. Anyone else bought one?

I have a 515 and my hands-on review is here.

Quote:

Any links would be helpful. I've searched this forum, Magnavox, even Philips and Funai sites but a complete manual is lacking. I guess I'll just have to buy one.

Manual is here.
A list of help files is here.
post #11805 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

To each his own. Like Joe, I have no emotional attachment to recorded TV programs (especially with ones that you never have time to watch). So I would vote for the option to auto-delete oldest programs. Because like previously mentioned, newer programs are more important, and you don't want to miss that. IMHO.

That's purely subjective. The oldest titles on my DVR are more important. That's why they've been there that long.
If I miss something that just aired, it's still readily available on re-airings, on demand or on the net. If I lose something that's old and I'm saving, I'd be pretty pissed.
Sure I can protect it, but why should I need to?
post #11806 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

Auto-delete is fine as long as there is a way to protect recordings. With large amounts of storage space come new options. One may decide there are 5 series in a new season that they want to follow but only have time for 3. With lots of space you could decide to record and store an entire season to be watched later in the summer rerun months. I always did this with highly serialized programs like 24 and Lost so I could watch them in an accelerated time frame.

Auto-delete requires a very robust file system. If you depend on auto-delete you are always running with your HDD full to capacity. It has been a long-standing piece of advice for DVDR users to not fill their HDD more than ~80%. Funny things start happening otherwise, especially if you do editing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #11807 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Warning - new, wordy user to the forum...

Where have you been all my life!? Sorry about the newbie enthusiasm. But this latest HDD DVR Magnavox 515 seems like the best thing since sliced bread! All kidding aside it seems to be a well-rounded and fairly priced machine from a company that takes note of AVS suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,

Newbie out.

Yes, it's a nice product with a loyal and dedicated following. And no fees. But you wondered if the HDD was running when you turn on power. Yes it is.

With four (4) DVR HD recorders that have the HDD running when plugged in and two that always run when turned on, I figure there is a better chance you will have a flat screen before a drive fails. And unless you are changing all your CFLs to LEDs (as I am), power is not an issue. Some of these drives have been spinning for years, literally. Also you can probably change the HDD in a 515 with minimum effort anyhow.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
post #11808 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Auto-delete is fine as long as there is a way to protect recordings. With large amounts of storage space come new options. One may decide there are 5 series in a new season that they want to follow but only have time for 3. With lots of space you could decide to record and store an entire season to be watched later in the summer rerun months. I always did this with highly serialized programs like 24 and Lost so I could watch them in an accelerated time frame.

Auto-delete requires a very robust file system. If you depend on auto-delete you are always running with your HDD full to capacity. It has been a long-standing piece of advice for DVDR users to not fill their HDD more than ~80%. Funny things start happening otherwise, especially if you do editing.

You're right. I have yet to watch several shows on any of my storage units. I love to watch a full season of a series even if they are not totally related. An example was ER and Law & Order. On reruns, TNT would always play the series from beginning to end (same with Charmed). For L&O they would mix them up. It made sense since one series fed on previous episodes and one did not. I recorded a full season of Burn Notice and Royal Pains. They are better watched sequentially. With 500gb and HQ recordings, I'm nowhere near filling up my 2160A with titles. I have also DVD-RAM episodes of Chuck, The Event, Chase and several others. Something to do when it's snowing outside. With the lack of a TV 'season' these days, I watch CSI every week, but not The Mentalist. Somethings can wait. I might have a PhD in couch potato, but I still need to live (somewhat). I record about 24 hours every week, and probably watch 12 hours. It adds up. Make a mistake? That's where HULU or the network sites come in handy. For now.
post #11809 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Absolutely, I never let the HDD filled up anywhere near 80%. So my preference to have the option is just that. The option is very useful for when I'm away from home longer than intended.
post #11810 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's a question that's a bit messy...

Okay... DVD+RW should allow you to do high speed dubs from DVD to hard drive, right?

I had some material I wanted to move to my 2160 from my old Philips 3455, so I dubbed it to a DVD+RW, intending to put the DVD into the 2160 and do a dub to the hard drive.

The 2160 couldn't do a high speed dub off the DVD, and I had to do the dub in real time (which I'd wanted to avoid, so's to spare the DVD drive).

What happened?

Did I remember wrong? Was it the -RWs that allowed for high speed dub off a DVD to the hard drive?
post #11811 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ain't no hs dub from DVD to HDD. All real time. So sad, really. Must run the DVD through the DAC as if it were to be played, even though dubbing could be a strictly bit-copy operation.
tom
post #11812 of 27986 Old 11-05-2010, 11:01 PM

I thought the 2160/A only allowed high speed dubs from HDD to DVD, & that all dubbing fron DVD to HDD was real time only.
post #11813 of 27986 Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

A good question moved from separate thread so it'll always be available to others here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-h View Post

Hi,

The 1.3X playback speed option was an unexpected gift when I got the Magnavox MDR513H to replace one of my Panasonic DVD-Rs last week.

Can anyone display closed captions at the 1.3x playback speed (other than using the option to permanently "burn" the captions onto the video)?
Neither setting the 513H to display CC nor my TV to display CC works for 1.3x or 0.8x playback.

Just curious if maybe the CC information is somehow lost with the speed change. I've tried with OTA DTV and line input (composite) from a cable box (all channels are encrypted digital and output as analog SD from the box).

Interestingly I can get my TV to show captions from a series 2 TiVo on its slowest fast-forward speed (without sound of course, and it can get a bit garbled if the there is a lot of dialog in minimal time).

Thanks (and sorry to poke the CC "ball of poisonous snakes" as the Magnavox sticky thread puts it).

See, when you poke that ball of snakes, one of them is bound to bite you!

Not sure if you're trying to see analog CC or DTV CC during Rapid Play... it makes a big diff.

Display of analog CC are controlled solely by your TV, so if you record an analog program that you know has CC in it, they'll play back fine unless you use Rapid Play, during which they'll disappear. Most likely caused by the VBI CC lines not being readable at different playback speeds.

DTV CC will display during Rapid Play if you recorded that program with DTV CC Service 1 and Recording ON because the CC are burned in.

DTV CC will also display during Rapid Play of the AR buffer if you had Service 1 ON during the buffer recording time. Don't need Recording on for this.

Each program and commercial has its own integral CC stream, so each one can take up to 30 sec to start displaying... you have to take that into account when looking for CC to display or not.

This was a good question so I added the info to the CC help file.
post #11814 of 27986 Old 11-06-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

Ain't no hs dub from DVD to HDD. All real time. So sad, really. Must run the DVD through the DAC as if it were to be played, even though dubbing could be a strictly bit-copy operation.
tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrtyro View Post

I thought the 2160/A only allowed high speed dubs from HDD to DVD, & that all dubbing fron DVD to HDD was real time only.

Thanks, guys.

Well, at least that means nothing's wrong with the machine or the discs themselves. Still, I could have sworn there'd been a way to do high speed dubs off DVD to the hard drive, but that it depended on what type of RW disc you used.

Does anyone remember something along those lines? The type of DVD affecting the dubbing in some way?
post #11815 of 27986 Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well it's awesome that they are actually listening to their customers and adding great feature they didn't think we wanted or needed with the first units.
I still hope they end up with a unit that has cable card and HD capability so I can easily cap all my favorite cable TV and other shows in HD. I'm sure it will be much more money but within reason I'd buy one just to be able to use my own gear again like I used to with my 3575 with everything non HD but digital on my cable system, and HD but not recorded in hd for the stuff I just want a good copy of.
I still use it to cap my Hell's kitchen and shows like that, they don't need to be in HD and aren't encrypted yet
post #11816 of 27986 Old 11-06-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

post #11817 of 27986 Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Does anyone remember something along those lines? The type of DVD affecting the dubbing in some way?

On Panasonics you can only HS to the HDD if using RAM discs, maybe that's what you were thinking about? Pioneers may be similar but I think if you have a Pio and format a RW DVD for VR mode(somewhat non standard) you can HS to the HDD.
AFAIK it's never possible to HS copy to a Philmaggies HDD.
post #11818 of 27986 Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Mag 2160 owner here. I used to transfer shows from D*TV receiver/recorder by having both connected to my Denon 1910 AVR. Open Mag as my first source then from there open D*TV to select titles to copy over to DVDR. It was connected through HDMI only. But yesterday, while recording, I removed the projector cable (HDMI-DVI) to connect with LCD, it blacked out the screen...Don't know what happened but eventually reconnected with the yellow video cable. Has anyone ever recorded without a direct video connection except for using the HDMI out only? Sorry, I did the search but couldn't find anything related to my issue.
post #11819 of 27986 Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post

Mag 2160 owner here. I used to transfer shows from D*TV receiver/recorder by having both connected to my Denon 1910 AVR. Open Mag as my first source then from there open D*TV to select titles to copy over to DVDR. It was connected through HDMI only. But yesterday, while recording, I removed the projector cable (HDMI-DVI) to connect with LCD, it blacked out the screen...Don't know what happened but eventually reconnected with the yellow video cable. Has anyone ever recorded without a direct video connection except for using the HDMI out only? Sorry, I did the search but couldn't find anything related to my issue.

I'd like to help but not sure what your setup was and is now that you switched to the LCD.

I think you're saying you input from the D*TV STB/DVR into your AVR and back to the 2160 for recording/copying from the STB/DVR?

Then you removed a cable from the AVR to your projector after which you got black screen?

As far as others recording from a STB/DVR, this help file describes a "typical" method of recording/copying from a STB/DVR? See the STB/DVR, TIPS, and COPYING subjects in that link.
post #11820 of 27986 Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi Wajo, Thanks for your reply. Well, everything is connected directly to Denon 1910 AVR. I was surprised to learned that I was able to record off from D*DVRbox to my Mag-DVR, connecting only audio red and white out from D* to Mag. But no video was connected, except for my HDMI going out to DenonAVR. Now going from AVR was my HDMI-DVI cable to the projector. No problem in seeing and recording. But yesterday, I decided to switch to LCD as it was getting brighter in the room, so while playing, I removed the cable from the AVR and plug in the other HDMI to the LCD. The screen went black and nothing was communicating. I rebooted everything but apparently nothing returned to the way it was. My question, was the HDMI out from Mag able to receive the video when I connected the AVR HDMI-DVI to the projector? Apparently so, from what I can see...but now, no more...does it make a little more sense or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page