I realize 2160A recorded/dubbed disk finalization been beaten to death, and that there are Firmware Updates for it. Still, this might be useful for someone.
When the first 2160A finalization firmware update came out, I downloaded it and the instructions- but then read of some people having problems afterward. I decided that setting the input to L3 wasn't such a big deal, & never installed FWU on my 2160A. Months went by without any problems, & I didn't ck back here over the summer for any improved updates. Machine is still as it left the factory.
Today, as I was finalizing a disk, input set to L3, while the TV played direct cable broadcast on a non-AV channel, I goofed & pushed a channel button on the 2160A remote. Switched our TV to "Video 1", where the 2160A resides, and sure enough- finalization was still proceeding, but machine was now set to Channel 5(analog cable input), bar showed about 2/3 through with finalization. As it continued to finalize, now on wrong channel/input, I put the input back to L3, tried to turn it off, etc- nope, it kept on finalizing that disk, though it *Did* reset the progress bar to very near the beginning.
Disk finished finalizing. I figured it was gonna be a bust, & would at least have to finalize again(if it let me!) or more likely re-dub & finalize the whole thing on a new disk. But I tried "Setup" button- and the "Disk Edit" option was faded out & unavailable, as it is after a successful finalization. Hmm- I put the disk in another DVD player(Philips, about 5 yrs old, reads & plays NTSC & PAL both right out of the box, plus has been hacked for Region Coding). It played perfectly.
So, if you make a similar goof but get to it pretty quick, don't immediately assume the glitched finalization made a coaster- check it first.
If anyone's interested, the disk: Verbatim DataLife Plus DVD-R 8X, silver.