Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1018Likes

post #11911 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrcks9901 View Post

Sorry, should have worded it a little better. She wants to get rid of the converter box now that her tv is capable of receiving a digital signal. And since these units have digital passthrough on the coax lines, she can use the tuner in the tv. Which brought me to the point that without an AVR, she has no true need for an HDMI cord...

Shooting in the dark here. You do know that recordings do not come out the RF passthrough, right? So you need some kind of cable to watch what you record. And they also have analog passthrough. If I may, here is a suggestion:

Bypass the "box" and see how the TV works without it. See how your MIL likes the TV remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Sorry, should have worded it a little better. She wants to get rid of the converter box now that her tv is capable of receiving a digital signal. And since these units have digital passthrough on the coax lines, she can use the tuner in the tv. Which brought me to the point that without an AVR, she has no true need for an HDMI cord...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Shooting in the dark here. You do know that recordings do not come out the RF passthrough, right? So you need some kind of cable to watch what you record. And they also have analog passthrough. If I may, here is a suggestion:

Bypass the "box" and see how the TV works without it. See how your MIL likes the TV remote.

@ hockey

You are replacing the VCR and the Converter, with one DVDR. To watch her soap she will still need to have a cable connected to the TV besides the RF pass through to view it. In other words she would still watch her soap via an input just like she did from the VCR. Now she has the choice to either use the DVDR or the TV as tuners. Her only tuner was the Converter, and had to be set to the right channel to record to the VCR. Now she can tune with the TV, but she will still have to switch between the TV's tuner and input to view the new DVDR.
post #11913 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

@ hockey

You are replacing the VCR and the Converter, with one DVDR. To watch her soap she will still need to have a cable connected to the TV besides the RF pass through to view it. In other words she would still watch her soap via an input just like she did from the VCR. Now she has the choice to either use the DVDR or the TV as tuners. Her only tuner was the Converter, and had to be set to the right channel to record to the VCR. Now she can tune with the TV, but she will still have to switch between the TV's tuner and input to view the new DVDR.

My mistake. I thought she used the RF output of the VCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11914 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, my mistake LOL. I have not used a VCR in 6 years. When I did it was through an input. In fact the more inputs a TV had the better. I never quite got that put the channel switch on 3 or 4. It was always input 2, 3 or 4. From the info received, she has an Over the air Converter, feeding the RF of the VCR, which in turn is probably feeding the RF of the TV. Now with a HD TV, she does not need the converter. With a new DVDR, she can skip both the VCR and Converter. Now she will have to use input though, since we agree, you cannot view the DVDR, withought a cable hooked up to an input on the new TV. My question about the 2080 decision, does the 2080 have a reliable tuner? I would probably stick with the 513 or 515.
post #11915 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No, my mistake LOL. I have not used a VCR in 6 years. When I did it was through an input. In fact the more inputs a TV had the better. I never quite got that put the channel switch on 3 or 4. It was always input 2, 3 or 4. From the info received, she has an Over the air Converter, feeding the RF of the VCR, which in turn is probably feeding the RF of the TV. Now with a HD TV, she does not need the converter. With a new DVDR, she can skip both the VCR and Converter. Now she will have to use input though, since we agree, you cannot view the DVDR, withought a cable hooked up to an input on the new TV. My question about the 2080 decision, does the 2080 have a reliable tuner? I would probably stick with the 513 or 515.

No sweat. We are both guessing here. I know the 2080 and 2160 are not the latest, and I doubt you want to buy your MIL something used that could fail. A new 513 does have a new drive & power supply. Sure these are well built units, but nothing lasts forever. If it did I would need to make up excuses to buy new stuff. I have a Mitsu VCR I keep on line for strange reasons. But what we don't know about this issue is much greater than what we do know. I gives me something to do on my non-working days.

I bought (gave) my mother a digital TV last year. It took me a while to convince here that her 'stories' were the same on ch 76.1 as ch 6. I finally convinced my family to learn the network names and forget the channel numbers. It was a labor of love. We live 8 miles apart yet have different cable channels. The most underrated button on any remote is labeled Display. The most valuable is labeled Favorites.
post #11916 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I got the above error message (E 3 54040990 Can Not Record To This Disc)
when attempting a high speed dub from HDD to DVD using a DVD+R. Any ideas?

Also got an E22 (Can not .... disc) error when attempting the same dub, this time to a DVD+RW.

Jim
post #11917 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

I got the above error message when attempting a high speed dub from HDD to DVD using a DVD+R. Any ideas?

Also got an E22 (Can not .... disc) error when attempting the same dub, this time to a DVD+RW.

Jim

What are the details of the title you're trying to dub? Are you sure it will fit on the DVD?
post #11918 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:

@ hockey

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No sweat. We are both guessing here. I know the 2080 and 2160 are not the latest, and I doubt you want to buy your MIL something used that could fail. A new 513 does have a new drive & power supply. Sure these are well built units, but nothing lasts forever. If it did I would need to make up excuses to buy new stuff. I have a Mitsu VCR I keep on line for strange reasons. But what we don't know about this issue is much greater than what we do know. I gives me something to do on my non-working days.

I bought (gave) my mother a digital TV last year. It took me a while to convince here that her 'stories' were the same on ch 76.1 as ch 6. I finally convinced my family to learn the network names and forget the channel numbers. It was a labor of love. We live 8 miles apart yet have different cable channels. The most underrated button on any remote is labeled Display. The most valuable is labeled Favorites.

You guys have me totally confused because I'm not sure who is responding to whom.

Previously with the analog tv, it was set up like so:
Antenna -> Converter Box -> VCR -> TV
with the TV set to channel 3/4 and using the converter box as the tuner. The VCR was set to record at a certain time and she had to remember to leave the converter box set to the proper channel.
Currently she has a rooftop antenna running into the RF input on the tv. She is not using a converter box like so:
Antenna -> TV

Now that she has a digital capable tv, she want to throw the converter box in the trash. It looks like you are saying the RF output from the Magnavox is only a passthrough and cannot work like her VCR. Am I correct in saying that the Magnavox will need to have 2 outputs going to the tv, one is the RF passthrough using the built in tuner in the tv and the other would be the output from any recordings she has made?

So it would look like so:

Antenna --RF--> DVDR --RF--> TV (for watching tv only; no recordings)
_______________DVDR --component--> TV (for watching recordings)
post #11919 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

What are the details of the title you're trying to dub? Are you sure it will fit on the DVD?

It's the PBS modern-day Sherlock Holmes and it will fit.
post #11920 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I bought (gave) my mother a digital TV last year. It took me a while to convince here that her 'stories' were the same on ch 76.1 as ch 6.

How well does she take to the cable company occasionally moving the clear-QAM channels around, though?

(Or haven't they done that yet?)
post #11921 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes
post #11922 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

How well does she take to the cable company occasionally moving the clear-QAM channels around, though?

(Or haven't they done that yet?)

Funny, but they are pretty passive compared to my feed. She has the same feed as Jed1 and they don't add HD as often my feed. My feed does like to drop NTSC channels to add HD channels. I'm guessing HD since the added stuff is scrambled but only has two or three subchannels. Two years ago all my NTSC channels were duplicated on SD with only the 'locals' left as HD. And if there is a problem, she calls me. Her primary set is analog only anyhow and she doesn't do any recording. My sister, however, went dish. That reduced my workload 50%.
post #11923 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You guys have me totally confused because I'm not sure who is responding to whom.

Exactly, although HDMI or composite or component will all work. Your TV manual probably has a chart that says for best quality use HDMI. Also, you need to select that input (whatever) to schedule things and do the setup of the DVDR. You haven't specified a TV, so how you select the input will vary. If the channel numbers are different between the TV and DVDR, let us know. Best of luck.
post #11924 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Another option, if your MIL would prefer to continue to record to VHS and isn't concerned about having top picture quality, would be a VHS/DVD recorder combo. I have the Toshiba 670 combo. It records over the air digital TV to VHS or to DVD and his a built-in tuner so you can watch one show while recording another. The Toshiba sells for about $200 now. Just another option. Good luck!
post #11925 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

You've got that part nailed, but you may not want to assume your MIL's recording habits will remain the same once she has a DVDR. Things may well change after she realizes any OTA program can be recorded and SKIP equals never having to watch another ad break.

If she expands her recording habits, one new feature on the 515 that your MIL will appreciate is the ability to name the program when the timer is set.

FWIW, it is possible to keep doing things as she has been with nothing more than a splitter.

Antenna --RF--> Splitter In
Splitter Out 1 --RF--> TV
Splitter Out 2 --RF--> Converter Box --RF--> VCR --composite--> TV
post #11926 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post

You've got that part nailed, but you may not want to assume your MIL's recording habits will remain the same once she has a DVDR. Things may well change after she realizes any OTA program can be recorded and SKIP equals never having to watch another ad break.

If she expands her recording habits, one new feature on the 513 that your MIL will appreciate is the ability to name the program when the timer is set.

FWIW, it is possible to keep doing things as she has been with nothing more than a splitter if the converter box has composite.

Antenna --RF--> Splitter In
Splitter Out 1 --RF--> TV
Splitter Out 2 --RF--> Converter Box --RF--> VCR --composite--> TV

Absolutly right, but you might have a typo. Your diagram has shows composite out of the VCR (normal) but your text says "if the converter box has composite". Your method is $200 cheaper. Just keep the status quo but hook a composite cable to the TV (if it has one). My TV has no S-Video input. And hockeyrcks9901, we are talking about you, not to you. Sorry, no offence, but that's why I quote the text I'm responding to. So if hockeyrcks9901 adds a $2 splitter and $2 RWY cable, he's done. Brilliant.

My VCR has a 30 second to 3 minute FF ability. Almost as good as the Skip button. And I think the 515 is needed for naming timer recordings before they are recorded.

Still, Plan B. Buy the 513 and get all that storage and he can jump into the current century and join us.
post #11927 of 27986 Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's the PBS modern-day Sherlock Holmes and it will fit.

Have you attemted to play the program from the HDD, since you got the dubbing error?
I believe E22 was the error I got when attempting a dub (I mostly use DVD+RW disks), if the program on the HDD had become corrupted. During playback from the HDD, the currupted program would freeze at some point.
post #11928 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I've had my 3575 for years, and I consider it a very reliable recorder. But today it had a strange recording bug. I had left it set to record a 1 hr program to the HDD, but when I arrived home it was on but not recording. Checking the timer menu, I saw the current timer entry hilighted in red. The DVD tray was empty. When I switched to HDD using the remote, it belatedly began recording immediately. Huh? It's like it couldn't start because it was trying to record to DVD. But the timer entry said to record to HDD - in fact it's a weekly entry which has worked in past weeks. I've never had any problem with that before, regardless of the presence or absence of DVD in the tray or which source I watched last, HDD or DVD.

Has anyone seen this bug before? Any idea what happened?

Happened to my 3575 about a month ago only involving a M-F timer program while I was away. Four or five programs recorded to the HD ok but the very last informed me through an error message that there was no DVD in the tray. Interesting, considering under that condition it's supposed to default to the HD. Don't know what to make of it. Gremlins? Hasn't recurred.
post #11929 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Absolutly right, but you might have a typo. Your diagram has shows composite out of the VCR (normal) but your text says "if the converter box has composite". Your method is $200 cheaper. Just keep the status quo but hook a composite cable to the TV (if it has one). My TV has no S-Video input. And hockeyrcks9901, we are talking about you, not to you. Sorry, no offence, but that's why I quote the text I'm responding to. So if hockeyrcks9901 adds a $2 splitter and $2 RWY cable, he's done. Brilliant.

My VCR has a 30 second to 3 minute FF ability. Almost as good as the Skip button. And I think the 515 is needed for naming timer recordings before they are recorded.

Still, Plan B. Buy the 513 and get all that storage and he can jump into the current century and join us.

Not to mention the fact that you do not have to make sure the VHS tape is rewound or in place any more.
post #11930 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Have you attemted to play the program from the HDD, since you got the dubbing error?
I believe E22 was the error I got when attempting a dub (I mostly use DVD+RW disks), if the program on the HDD had become corrupted. During playback from the HDD, the currupted program would freeze at some point.

This also happened on my 3575 while attempting a HSD of a "Terminator" series episode--seemingly at the very end of the dubbing process. I thought it sure took its time informing me the disk wasn't recordable. You are very likely right that there is a problem on the HD. I don't know if it was obvious during playback (mostly because the problem was at the very end of the program), but if he does a real time dub like I did, the dub will hang up at the problem spot. In my case it was while the credits were rolling so I was able to save the recording.

This happened about 18 months ago and has never happened again so you would think if there was a problem on the HD I would have stumbled across it again. I do a lot of recording and a fair amount of dubbing.
post #11931 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimom View Post

Another option, if your MIL would prefer to continue to record to VHS and isn't concerned about having top picture quality, would be a VHS/DVD recorder combo. I have the Toshiba 670 combo. It records over the air digital TV to VHS or to DVD and his a built-in tuner so you can watch one show while recording another. The Toshiba sells for about $200 now. Just another option. Good luck!

When shopping for a VHS/DVD combo recorder, be aware that most models cannot record digital channels directly to VHS. If this is important to you be sure to carefully read the specifications before purchase. If it doesn't specifically say that it can, it probably can't.
post #11932 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbal2000 View Post

Happened to my 3575 about a month ago only involving a M-F timer program while I was away. Four or five programs recorded to the HD ok but the very last informed me through an error message that there was no DVD in the tray. Interesting, considering under that condition it's supposed to default to the HD. Don't know what to make of it. Gremlins? Hasn't recurred.

I have a couple of ideas as to what might have triggered this bug:

1. The last DVD I played in the drive was a borrowed movie DVD that had scratches, and it froze a couple of times while playing. I managed to get it to skip ahead, but maybe it corrupted something in the unit's memory?

2. I think I removed that DVD later by hitting the Eject button with the unit in an off state. Maybe when you do that some status information isn't updated correctly?
post #11933 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I have a couple of ideas as to what might have triggered this bug:

1. The last DVD I played in the drive was a borrowed movie DVD that had scratches, and it froze a couple of times while playing. I managed to get it to skip ahead, but maybe it corrupted something in the unit's memory?

2. I think I removed that DVD later by hitting the Eject button with the unit in an off state. Maybe when you do that some status information isn't updated correctly?

It's almost impossible to troubleshoot these kind of one-off problems. As I mentioned I was away when this occurred and so couldn't have done anything to effect the outcome. Also, the previous 4-5 programs using the same timer entry went off without a hitch. It could be something as simple as a voltage spike occurring at a critical moment but until something happens repeatedly it's very difficult to get to the bottom of it. If it happens every few months you just live with it.
post #11934 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbal2000 View Post

This also happened on my 3575 while attempting a HSD of a "Terminator" series episode--seemingly at the very end of the dubbing process. I thought it sure took its time informing me the disk wasn't recordable. You are very likely right that there is a problem on the HD. I don't know if it was obvious during playback (mostly because the problem was at the very end of the program), but if he does a real time dub like I did, the dub will hang up at the problem spot. In my case it was while the credits were rolling so I was able to save the recording.

This happened about 18 months ago and has never happened again so you would think if there was a problem on the HD I would have stumbled across it again. I do a lot of recording and a fair amount of dubbing.

I've encountered a few titles that returned an error when attempting a high-speed dub. More often than not this will occur with the older models (3575, 3576, 2080) perhaps where a title divide falls too close to a chapter mark. That's one reason why one should keep chapter marks at 10 minute or longer intervals.

With the 2160 and newer models the chapter mark depiction in the editing window helps one determine where to avoid using a title divide. It's also my experience that the 2160 is more forgiving than the earlier models in the positioning of title divides close to chapter marks.

When I find this problem I usually fast forward through the hard drive recording in order to find the problematic portion, often toward the end of the title. Sometimes that portion can be edited out with a mid-cut but if the recorder freezes RETURN/BACK will sometimes allow one to escape the freeze. Other times powering off the recorder is necessary. I make a notation of the exact spot where the problem occurs so that I may ease up to that spot for editing. If the problematic portion is not essential to the program content a title divide just before and just following the problematic material might be necessary. Sometimes the only remedy is to delete the problematic fragment.

Sometimes I retain a problematic hard drive fragment, one each on my 3576 and one of my 2160 models, when the problem fragment is unrelated to a title divide. My thought is that retention of the problematic fragment prevents a new recording using a potentially problematic hard drive sector.

Wajo has described one of the SKIP utilities that can determine if there is are problems with the hard drive. Unfortunately that utility results in the loss of all hard drive titles. There are a few titles on those hard drives that I want to retain for future use in various compilations.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #11935 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I got the above error message (E 3 54040990 Can Not Record To This Disc)
when attempting a high speed dub from HDD to DVD using a DVD+R. Any ideas?

Jim

Well, it looks like my 2160A is just fussy about the media I use. When I tried a virgin DVD+RW, things worked out fine (and had the advantage of giving me the opportunity to change the anamorphic flag to WS via infoedit before copying back to a DVD+R.)

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Jim
post #11936 of 27986 Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Absolutly right, but you might have a typo.
Thanks Joe, don't know where that text came from..., brainwarp?
post #11937 of 27986 Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post
Thanks Joe, don't know where that text came from..., brainwarp?

I like words and playing with them. I mean, I did spell absolutely wrong. No one is perfect. Speaking of perfect, where's wajo? His absence is worrisome.
post #11938 of 27986 Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
I like words and playing with them. I mean, I did spell absolutely wrong. No one is perfect. Speaking of perfect, where's wajo? His absence is worrisome.
Rotator cuff surgery. Typing with one hand is the pits!
post #11939 of 27986 Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Rotator cuff surgery. Typing with one hand is the pits!
Get well soon. We miss you.
post #11940 of 27986 Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

Get well soon. We miss you.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement