Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #13531 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Posting this in case it may turn out useful to someone else.

Background: My Philips 3576 is in my bedroom, and I have a 2-room Dish Network DVR in my living room that feeds to the 2nd room via coax on analog cable channel 73 or analog antenna channel 22. I also wanted to hook up an antenna to the 3576 to receive and record OTA digital channels as well.

I bought a GE Digital 2-Way Splitter from Home Depot rated at 5-2300Mhz, and connected the antenna to one of the "outputs" and the coax from the Dish DVR to the other output, and connected a coax line from the "input" on the splitter to the 3576 "Antenna In". After doing an Auto Channel Preset on Antenna, I now have all my local OTA digital channels plus analog channel 22 which is the feed from the Dish DVR. I'm experiencing no interference or problems with any of the channels.

I guess depending on your local OTA channels, I should put in a caveat: "YMMV" (your mileage may vary).

5/12/2011 - Followup to this post:

Yesterday I noticed that all my Dish channels being fed in to my 3576 were a bit fuzzy (in the other room, they were fine), and I was worried that I had a bad coax connection or cable going bad from the DishDVR to the 2nd room. As a check, I removed the OTA Antenna from the "combiner", and my Dish channels all returned to normal. There must have been some kind of signal interference happening. So I guess using a two-way splitter as a combiner is not all it's cracked up to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13532 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Dare2B, great post and info! I've added a link to your post in the Connections, Scannig, and Tuning help files.
post #13533 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Yay! My first linked post. I guess my only problem now is that the only spare coax I could find is a bit long, so I'm dealing with trying to hide the coax cable from view behind the tv cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13534 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Just make sure what you watch on your Dish tuner It may be possible for others to tune analog 22 being broadcast by your antenna since your Dish tuner will be broadcasting a weak channel 22 back out the antenna
post #13535 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the 515. Do you have to record with the closed captions on for you to use them on playback? Do they become burned in and not turn off-able?
post #13536 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleramon View Post

With the 515. Do you have to record with the closed captions on for you to use them on playback? Do they become burned in and not turn off-able?

Here's the help file on CC.
post #13537 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Here's the help file on CC.

Thanks. Page 43 is very not helpful. Yours is.
post #13538 of 27999 Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just make sure what you watch on your Dish tuner It may be possible for others to tune analog 22 being broadcast by your antenna since your Dish tuner will be broadcasting a weak channel 22 back out the antenna

1. It's not an external roof antenna, only a small indoor one.
2. While the splitter is 2-way, I had no idea the antenna could broadcast, only receive.
3. My daughter makes sure I'm careful what I watch.
post #13539 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Question: Comcast handed out the STBs to all residents of the complex in Feb. We have that building wide bulk contract where tenants get it in price of rent. Comcast has called me like FOUR times! since to get me to install the STB. I am still illogically (I'm sure) afraid that if I boot up STB I will lose the channels I recieve on my rf coax from the wall to 515 and I am just stalling (bird in the hand). I know how to split and install but: Why are they so persistent? What do they care? The laundry rooms don't have boxes. Is Comcast just being friendly?
post #13540 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Question: Comcast handed out the STBs to all residents of the complex in Feb. We have that building wide bulk contract where tenants get it in price of rent. Comcast has called me like FOUR times! since to get me to install the STB. I am still illogically (I'm sure) afraid that if I boot up STB I will lose the channels I recieve on my rf coax from the wall to 515 and I am just stalling (bird in the hand). I know how to split and install but: Why are they so persistent? What do they care? The laundry rooms don't have boxes. Is Comcast just being friendly?

Comcast is NOT your friend!
post #13541 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

That's how Comcast get's their "foot in the door." Then they make every effort to "sell you up." The reason, is $$$$$.

A wise man has said "Comcast is NOT your friend!"

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13542 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seems to me that the last gasp for my analog channels was when they started putting a message in text onscreen that said 'If you're seeing this, you have to start using a cable box to get this channel.'

No sooner had I set up the DTAs and had Comcast activate them, the analogs, with and without onscreen text, were all gone, with the exception of locals.

Trust me, when they decide to pull the plug on the expanded basic analog channels, they'll do it. They'd likely have done it to me eventually even if I hadn't activated the DTAs. (And once they start ruining the picture with that text message, the channel's essentially gone anyway. Sure can't watch or record it like that.)

For a while after that we got the same channels in digital unscrambled, but even those were suddenly gone one day, only available thru a cable box.

Unless your building has some sort of contract that assures tennants cable without needing a box, the writing's on the wall.
post #13543 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 PM

That's what I'm saying with the bird in the hand. I am going to make them flat out threaten me to use the box. I lost TNT and MSNBC and other stuff I barely remember now. Maybe I'll lose others but I want! guaranteed access to digital networks and PBSs in my 515 with no L1 crap for as long as possible. I can watch the closer at TNT..com. When the laundry room goes to STB I'll know I'm sunk. Come to think of it--if the zap me they would have to zap the laundry room and the landlord doesn't want to leave remotes lying around instead of the usual walking up to the tv and pressing the buttons. Hopefully I have time. I think I may. I can't imagine it's illegal to not use the box.

Yes, I know quite well that Comcast is not my friend. I have foreseen it. I am the struggle!
post #13544 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digado View Post

that's how comcast get's their "foot in the door." then they make every effort to "sell you up." the reason, is $$$$$.

A wise man has said "comcast is not your friend!"

+1
post #13545 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Several years ago the FCC ruled that cable companies could not embed encryption services in their boxes, it had to be external. The solution that the cable industry came up with was cable cards, so the boxes now have cable card slots. The thinking was that lots of companies would produce products that could use the cards. TiVo and Moxi are about then only ones that did.

The DTA box was designed to be very low cost, a cable card slot + the card itself would have driven the cost way up. They did embed encryption services in the DTA but couldn't use it. That is why you got the digital channels in the clear. Then Comcast convinced the FCC to give them an exemption. Bingo, turn on encryption sevices, scramble the channels, you are out of luck using the DVRs being discussed here.
post #13546 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

If you are talking about digital SD, the remapping is being done by the cable company, it's embedded in the data stream

The cablecos use fixed addresses, they embed nothing in the data stream. You can read more in the stickies about how to use the cableco DAT boxes to find the frequencies of the channels assigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

If they are that nice, they should program the box to automatically turn on your recording device and start recording the shows for you. Everything has a code and a unit could be programmed to send those commands.

Why? There is no money to be made in playing nice guy to people outside their fold. The cablecos want you to rent their DVR, not provide services to the likes of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I was getting excellent analog signals from both cable and OTA right before I got into digital, and they were better than a lot of what I get in digital now (certainly easier to watch, in many cases - especially with sports).

Not just with SD digital, but in some cases, even with what passes for "HD" now (even if there's more detail in the HD picture, it's often just harder to stomach because of the artifacts from being bit-starved. And, with stuff like that, as soon as anything moves, it really goes to crap. Not in every case, but in some - even with the so-called "best" HD - OTA, at least in my market).

How right you are. Don't know if you remember the debate over which kind of DTV signal method to use but the outcome was lower signal strenght, poorer quality than could be achieved for cost and compromise reasons. Bottom line, the consumer got screwed because the numbers supposedly show that OTA is going to disappear in a few years. The statistics are heavily biased, if you have cable or satellite you are not counted as an OTA watcher. There is even talk in DC about reclaiming TV bands for other uses (wifi, cell phone, etc).

You can get a handle on the bandwidth allocated to a specific channel by using the DAT's Virtual Channel Map. If there are 10 sub-channels assigned then no way can you get decent quality, it takes at least 3.3 MHz for an approximation of analog on SD, and there is only room for six of those in the band. HD requires higher numbers so 1080 consumes much of a band yet you find cablecos stuffing other channels in there.

Some broadcasters play that game too, they rob bandwidth from HD to support SD sub-channels. CBS is one of the good guys (no sub-channels) but ABC and NBC are not so inclined.

Quote:

They [cable companies] can remap things any way they want with the program info in the data stream

Cablecos participated in defining the standards for PSIPs, but chose to go with direct network control instead by using Virtual Channel Maps that they download into the cable boxes.

Your channel numbers are not a mystery, OTA broadcasts can appear in a cable system several places. These were the numbers in our cableco for CBS before encryption was introduced. The OTA frequency for 5.1 is 29.1, here's what Comcast re-broadcast on:

a) in the 1-30 analog address range (5)
b) 16:9 in the sub-125 QAM tunable range (5.1)
c) 4:3 in the sub-125 QAM tunable range (72.3)
d) 4:3 in a low numbered cable address (205)
e) 16:9 in a high numbered cable address (705)

Using format above is deliberate because OTA 5.1 was so superior to Comcast 5.1 that the signal was obviously being downgraded. It was far too poor to be called HD....

Strange numbering can sometimes be attributed to corruption of the PSIPs generated by OTA broadcasters, but for the most part channel numbering is a deliberate cableco decision.

Quote:

Comcast convinced the FTC to give them an exemption. Bingo, turn on encryption sevices, scramble the channels, you are out of luck using the DVRs being discussed here.

The original purpose of that exception was to protect the SMALL cablecos. Comcast manufactured the justification by moving Expanded out of 30-70 which physically prevented (frequency blocker) non-Expanded subscribers from viewing 30-70 when they went digital. Comcast then argued that encryption was necessary to prevent non-Expanded subscribers from viewing the Expanded channels in 80-120.

It was such an obvious ploy that the FCC should have told Comcast to move Expanded back into 30-70 but the FCC is either staffed by idiots or subservients as nobody did so. Comcast must have been laughing, because a few weeks after encryption started here they re-located Expanded back into the 30-70 range.
post #13547 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:

That's what I'm saying with the bird in the hand. I am going to make them flat out threaten me to use the box.

The bird is dying. They won't threaten you, they will simply turn if off one day in accord with their internal schedule for such things. When you call to complain you have no clear signal, they will just tell you "we told you so". And they did, didn't they?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13548 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The bird is dying. They won't threaten you, they will simply turn if off one day in accord with their internal schedule for such things. When you call to complain you have no clear signal, they will just tell you "we told you so". And they did, didn't they?

Yeah, I imagine you're right. My mentality is that if I can just make sure I can keep the rf coxial from the wall straight to 515 piping in cbs, nbc, abc, fox and most most important the five PBS channels around D.C.--the rest of the stuff espn, tnt, tbs, cnn, usa and the rest of the "soon-scrambles" I can catch on L1 piped from STB. If i miss those "cable box" shows cause I can't jump STB channels I'll film a repeat. Grabbing one of the five PBSers at noon and then jumping to the second PBS of the 5 at two pm and PTI on STB(L1)espn at 5:30 pm and then say House at 8 on fox is what I want the 515 for.

I don't trust hanging an antenna from my apartment window.
post #13549 of 27999 Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM

I have a maggie 513 and I'm HSD to TY JVC -R DVDs. I have been adding and deleting chapter marks on the disc (after HSD and before finalizing). I'm pretty sure I have make edits compatible on, but when I play the DVDs in another DVD player, the chapter marks that I set are not present. The marks from the original recording on the HDD are still there. I set the index picture and the disc name in the same manner and have no problem with them. Just the chapter marks. Any suggestions?
post #13550 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie FAN View Post
I have a maggie 513 and I'm HSD to TY JVC -R DVDs. I have been adding and deleting chapter marks on the disc (after HSD and before finalizing). I'm pretty sure I have make edits compatible on, but when I play the DVDs in another DVD player, the chapter marks that I set are not present. The marks from the original recording on the HDD are still there. I set the index picture and the disc name in the same manner and have no problem with them. Just the chapter marks. Any suggestions?
"Make Edits Compatible" only applies to +RW discs. I'd turn that off. Or did you mean "Make Recording Compatible" which you do need ON?

After setting chapter marks on a disc, do you press Return and see the "Writing to disc" message and progress bar at the bottom of the screen?

Also, altho it prob. doesn't apply in your case, there is a note in the manual:

"Only with regard to DVD editing, you may not be
able to add chapter marks depending on the
duration of the title or the number of chapters."

However, I believe this means they may not take if the disc is nearly full (or, of course, if the number of chapters exceeds the max. alowed).
post #13551 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

To add to the confusion of the missing chapter marks, I've noticed the same behavior on my previous DVD recorder, the Philips DVDR72. While it wasn't a HDD recorder, if I added chapter marks during recording or while in rec-pause mode, they would show up just fine, but if I added/deleted chapters after the fact, those edited chapters wouldn't show up on other players. Perhaps some players have trouble with the +VR standard.

Regarding chapter marks, I always make sure the chapter editing is complete on the HDD before I HSD to DVD.
post #13552 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM

I too have been through a very frustrating experience in buying a 515 remote.

I placed nine calls to support and one e-mail on their "support" website. As a last resort, I sent a snail mail letter to the president of the company which maintains their customer support services, all to no avail. He never gave me the satisfaction of a reply to my courteous letter.

Finall, two weeks or more after I left a message on the web site, I received an answer from "Nancy" in support, offering to sell me a remote, wiithout having to provide a serial number.

I called again, and she ordered it, and it's on it's way. By the way, because I didn't give them a serial number, she wrote "there is no 30 day warranty on the remote."

Hard to beleive it worked out . . .

Jeff
post #13553 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman2 View Post

I placed nine calls to support and one e-mail on their "support" website. As a last resort, I sent a snail mail letter to the president of the company which maintains their customer support services, all to no avail. He never gave me the satisfaction of a reply to my courteous letter.

Finall, two weeks or more after I left a message on the web site, I received an answer from "Nancy" in support, offering to sell me a remote, wiithout having to provide a serial number.

I called again, and she ordered it, and it's on it's way. By the way, because I didn't give them a serial number, she wrote "there is no 30 day warranty on the remote."

234?

Still disfunctional!

My 3 months of frustration confirmed by another Mag user.

post #13554 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The cablecos use fixed addresses, they embed nothing in the data stream. You can read more in the stickies about how to use the cableco DAT boxes to find the frequencies of the channels assigned.

When I say data stream, I mean the PSIP. The cable companies do "mess" with it. Several broadcast engineers from our local stations participate in our local cable forum and OTA forum. They are constantly pointing out instances where TWC has changed something that is causing problems with viewing content, even with their own boxes. They are in constant contact with the cable guys trying to get these problems resolved. Sometimes they even post snap shots they have taken of the data stream, pointing out what the cable guys changed.
post #13555 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

In discussing a DVD>HDD dubbing problem with dar2be via PM, it reminded me of something he ran into that others might also... something I should have added to the help files already.

He couldn't use D. Dubbing for copying titles from Finalized discs he made in his old Philips DVDR72.

I've now addd a Quote-note to the multi-machine recording/dubbing subject.

JimLely: dare2be reminded me you have a DVDR75. If so, would you see if titles on a Finalized disc from that machine will D.Dub OK in a 357x or Mag model you have, with Make Recording Compatible ON? If not, try it with MRC OFF.
post #13556 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

In discussing a DVD>HDD dubbing problem with dar2be via PM, it reminded me of something he ran into that others might also... something I should have added to the help files already.

He couldn't use D. Dubbing for copying titles from Finalized discs he made in his old Philips DVDR72.

I've now addd a Quote-note to the multi-machine recording/dubbing subject.

JimLely: dare2be reminded me you have a DVDR75. If so, would you see if titles on a Finalized disc from that machine will D.Dub OK in a 357x or Mag model you have, with Make Recording Compatible ON? If not, try it with MRC OFF.

Wajo,

No problem dubbing the Philips DVDR75-made DVD+R (2 Sinatra TV specials, one in which I edited out the PBS fundraising) disc to the HDD.
post #13557 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

To add to the confusion of the missing chapter marks, I've noticed the same behavior on my previous DVD recorder, the Philips DVDR72. While it wasn't a HDD recorder, if I added chapter marks during recording or while in rec-pause mode, they would show up just fine, but if I added/deleted chapters after the fact, those edited chapters wouldn't show up on other players. Perhaps some players have trouble with the +VR standard.

Regarding chapter marks, I always make sure the chapter editing is complete on the HDD before I HSD to DVD.

On the DVDR72 did you use "make edits (or something like that) compatible" before you used the DVD in your DVDR/HDD machine?
post #13558 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Wajo,

No problem dubbing the Philips DVDR75-made DVD+R (2 Sinatra TV specials, one in which I edited out the PBS fundraising) disc to the HDD.

D.Dubbing? With MRC ON? or OFF? Need both tested.
post #13559 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

D.Dubbing? With MRC ON? or OFF? Need both tested.

A little history here. The DVDR-75-created disk was originally done on the 75 using a DVD+RW, editing out the commercials, using the 75's MRC and then copying it onto a DVD+R using a PC for a direct copy. About a month ago I inserted the disk into the 2160A and D.Dubbed it onto the HDD (for reasons I won't get into) with MRC set to 'On' as SOP setting. I had no problem whatsoever. I can try it with MRC 'Off' if you'd like.

Jim
post #13560 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman2 View Post

Jeff

There appears to be a lack of communication within the Funal support group.

As detailed in Wajo's post 13431 there should be no problem/runaround in purchasing that remote control.

Further, unless stated in the original product/part warranty that a serial number is required to obtain replacement parts, "Nancy's" statement that the 30 day warranty is effectively null & void, would be illegal and a violation of law.

Samsung America, also headquarted in New Jersey, ran into similar warranty problems with regard to consumer product support, resulting in intervention by the New Jersey Office of Attorney General, Consumer Affairs Division". (details here). Should Funai fail to honor the warranty on your remote (or other replacement part), you may want to inform the NJOAG.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page