Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #13561 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

A little history here. The DVDR-75-created disk was originally done on the 75 using a DVD+RW, editing out the commercials, using the 75's MRC and then copying it onto a DVD+R using a PC for a direct copy. About a month ago I inserted the disk into the 2160A and D.Dubbed it onto the HDD (for reasons I won't get into) with MRC set to 'On' as SOP setting. I had no problem whatsoever. I can try it with MRC 'Off' if you'd like.

Thanks, Jim, the main question was will it D.Dub with MRC ON.

But since your "test" +R disc was copied with a PC, it would be good to try a disc Finalized in your old Philips DVDR75. You just need to start a D.Dub (no need to complete) with MRC ON and with MRC OFF in your 2160A.

Just need to see if either will give you a "no-go" symbol, showing it also won't D.Dub like dare2be's old Philips DVDR72 discs.

(I tried to be careful and not refer to your old Philips DVDR75 as just the "75" or some people will be spreading stories about the Philips 3575. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13562 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found a +RW disc that was used exclusively on the DVDR72, I popped it into my DVDR72, and the Make Edits Compatible option isn't even there, so I assume the Edits already made compatible. No go on the D.Dub in the 3576 (with MRC on).

Totally confused.

Another possible clue: When I pop the same disc into my computer and try to open it with DVD Shrink 3.2, I get the message "invalid dvd navigation structure", which I have gotten before on a lot of my DVDR72 discs, but not all.

EDIT: nevermind, I have another DVDR72-produced disc that doesn't give the "invalid structure" message in DVD Shrink, but it still won't dub in the 3576 with MRC on.
post #13563 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

I found a +RW disc that was used exclusively on the DVDR72, I popped it into my DVDR72, and the Make Edits Compatible option isn't even there, so I assume the Edits already made compatible. No go on the D.Dub in the 3576 (with MRC on).

Totally confused.

Another possible clue: When I pop the same disc into my computer and try to open it with DVD Shrink 3.2, I get the message "invalid dvd navigation structure", which I have gotten before on a lot of my DVDR72 discs, but not all.

O.K., try this (I just did). Place your old Philips DVD into the DVDR/HDD and start playing a title. When it starts to play, press D.Dub and it'll start dubbing onto the HDD.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13564 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think my experiences here need to be documented until they can be verified by someone else...even though a DVDR75 is similar to my DVDR72, I wonder if anyone else has a DVDR72 that can test out my issue.
post #13565 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

But since your "test" +R disc was copied with a PC, it would be good to try a disc Finalized in your old Philips DVDR75. You just need to start a D.Dub (no need to complete) with MRC ON and with MRC OFF in your 2160A.

Just need to see if either will give you a "no-go" symbol, showing it also won't D.Dub like dare2be's old Philips DVDR72 discs.

(I tried to be careful and not refer to your old Philips DVDR75 as just the "75" or some people will be spreading stories about the Philips 3575. )

Wajo,

The trick is to start playing a title on the DVD and then press D.Dub. It didn't matter whether MRC was on or off.

Jim
post #13566 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

O.K., try this (I just did). Place your old Philips DVD into the DVDR/HDD and start playing a title. When it starts to play, press D.Dub and it'll start dubbing onto the HDD.

Jim

That's what I've been doing. I get a red circle/slash when I do that. Then I go to General Setting -> Recording -> Make Recording Compatible and turn it OFF. Then my D.Dub works with the same disc/title.
post #13567 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Also, I wonder if this issue is related only to the 3575/6. What Funai model are you using Jim?

Here is a synopsis of what I know so far.

Finalized +R discs created by the DVDR72, +RW discs with Make Edits Compatible created by the DVDR72: D.Dub does not work on the 3576 with MRC on. It does with MRC off.

Discs created by an unknown source, possibly with PC authoring software (discs I traded for with someone else): D.DUB works on the 3576 with MRC on or off.
post #13568 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

O.K., I found a DVD+RW that had been created on the Philips DVDR75. I placed it into the 2160A, started to PLAY THE TITLE then (and only then) hit D.Dub and it's dubbing right now to the 2160A HDD. MRC on or off seems irrelevant.

Jim
post #13569 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

O.K., I found a DVD+RW that had been created on the Philips DVDR75. I placed it into the 2160A, started to PLAY THE TITLE then (and only then) hit D.Dub and it's dubbing right now to the 2160A HDD. MRC on or off seems irrelevant.

Jim

Now I found a DVD+R that had been created on the DVDR75. Again, playing the title on the 2160A and then pressing D.Dub starts the dubbing process to the HDD. Again, MRC on or off made no difference.

Jim
post #13570 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Did this disk that gave "invalid dvd navigation structure" have 2 or more titles on it? I have had the same experience.

Jim
post #13571 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did this disk that gave "invalid dvd navigation structure" have 2 or more titles on it? I have had the same experience.

Jim

yes, and my experience is in line with yours in that regard.

I think we should continue this discussion privately to no longer clutter up the thread.
post #13572 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"Make Edits Compatible" only applies to +RW discs. I'd turn that off. Or did you mean "Make Recording Compatible" which you do need ON?

After setting chapter marks on a disc, do you press Return and see the "Writing to disc" message and progress bar at the bottom of the screen?

Also, altho it prob. doesn't apply in your case, there is a note in the manual:

"Only with regard to DVD editing, you may not be
able to add chapter marks depending on the
duration of the title or the number of chapters."

However, I believe this means they may not take if the disc is nearly full (or, of course, if the number of chapters exceeds the max. alowed).

Thanks for the response Wajo. I did mean MRC and it is on. After setting chapter marks and pressing Return, I do see the "Writing to disc" message and the progress bar.

Previously my HDD was set to auto chapter marks every 10mins. After not seeing the marks I changed recognized on previous discs, I turned auto chapter marks off. Still the same problem. My recordings don't have many chapter marks and I usually have space left on the disc.

I have refrained from setting chapter marks on the HDD because I read that editing titles on the HDD uses more memory in the HDD.

Could the problem have anything to do with the sony dvd players that I use to play the dvds?
post #13573 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie FAN View Post

Thanks for the response Wajo. I did mean MRC and it is on. After setting chapter marks and pressing Return, I do see the "Writing to disc" message and the progress bar.

Previously my HDD was set to auto chapter marks every 10mins. After not seeing the marks I changed recognized on previous discs, I turned auto chapter marks off. Still the same problem. My recordings don't have many chapter marks and I usually have space left on the disc.

I have refrained from setting chapter marks on the HDD because I read that editing titles on the HDD uses more memory in the HDD.

Could the problem have anything to do with the sony dvd players that I use to play the dvds?

As a test, I would do your chapter mark editing on the HDD for a title, HSD (high speed dub) it to DVD and see if the Sony DVD players recognize them. Chapter mark edits on the HDD shouldn't use up any significant space on the HDD.
post #13574 of 27999 Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

The cablecos use fixed addresses, they embed nothing in the data stream. You can read more in the stickies about how to use the cableco DAT boxes to find the frequencies of the channels assigned.

When I say data stream, I mean the PSIP. The cable companies do "mess" with it. Several broadcast engineers from our local stations participate in our local cable forum and OTA forum. They are constantly pointing out instances where TWC has changed something that is causing problems with viewing content, even with their own boxes. They are in constant contact with the cable guys trying to get these problems resolved. Sometimes they even post snap shots they have taken of the data stream, pointing out what the cable guys changed.

Maybe this is a stupid question or I'm missing something, but I always hear PSIP in conjunction with broadcast channels. But, does this mean that a cable only channel, like CNN, has no PSIP? I'm cable only and my feed has no PSIP data that I can detect, which is a good way to not have bad data. Maybe you could point me in the right direction? I have it on good authority that the clock of the 515H is obtained from the PSIP. If so, why does my analog PBS station make it jump ahead exactly 3.5 hours at midnight (if I enable that ability)?
post #13575 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dear Jeff,

We are sorry for your trouble.
May I have some question?

1)
When did you attempt 9 calls to our call center? Date and time.
I will check the call center busy status. I have never heard high abandon rate recently.

2)
Who is the president whom you sent mail to?
US Funai corporation president does not touch customer support.
Of course Japan Funai president does not also.
When they receive such mail, they do not deal anything, I think.

3)
What is the reason Nancy said that
I think because there is no serial number on remote and we maintain the record by unit serial number, they cannot control the remote purchase date and warranty term.
If customer gives serial number, they can record "S/N123 unit changed R/C on Mar.21. Warranty by Jun.20."

I could know such problem is exisiting and we need to consider improvement.
We are sorry but we cannot do in this moment

I do not have role to receive customer claim directry but I can do something for a people in this thread.

---Post Script---
I will not forget US kind support against Japanese fatal disaster.
I have never done any help Japanese sufferers.
But many many sufferers were rescued by US millitaly.
Not only me but most part of Japanese appreciate very much of US great friendship mind.
And I will never forget idiot current government of Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman2 View Post

I too have been through a very frustrating experience in buying a 515 remote.

I placed nine calls to support and one e-mail on their "support" website. As a last resort, I sent a snail mail letter to the president of the company which maintains their customer support services, all to no avail. He never gave me the satisfaction of a reply to my courteous letter.

Finall, two weeks or more after I left a message on the web site, I received an answer from "Nancy" in support, offering to sell me a remote, wiithout having to provide a serial number.

I called again, and she ordered it, and it's on it's way. By the way, because I didn't give them a serial number, she wrote "there is no 30 day warranty on the remote."

Hard to beleive it worked out . . .

Jeff

post #13576 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie FAN View Post

As dare2be said, don't worry about edits taking up any sig. space on the HDD... edits just add "text" instructions on what to skip, etc. The slight "worry" about GOBS of edits is when your HDD becomes almost full.

I'd also do as dare2be said: make chapter edits on the HDD. Both auto-set and custom-set chapter marks *should* transfer to the DVD copy using HSD. (If you use RTD, NEW chapter marks are placed based on your auto-chapter setting, i.e., you lose ALL chapter marks in the HDD title.)

One other thing to try: trurn MRC OFF and see if that makes a diff. when chaptering the disc directly. If it does, that would be good to know since my long-standing advice is to turn MRC ON and leave it on.
post #13577 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM

RE: subaqua -> errors trying to dub onto blank DVDs

I get one of these when attempting
to dub:
E4 54037380
E15 53052400

Interestingly, I was able to insert blank
DVD and record from TV,
but will not dub from HD...recorded a minute off
TV, then tried to dub from HD onto same DVD, told
me disc was full....not.

any ideas?
post #13578 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Error code is listed here.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...10&postcount=5

Could you attempt to use few new discs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaqua View Post

RE: subaqua -> errors trying to dub onto blank DVDs

I get one of these when attempting
to dub:
E4 54037380
E15 53052400

Interestingly, I was able to insert blank
DVD and record from TV,
but will not dub from HD...recorded a minute off
TV, then tried to dub from HD onto same DVD, told
me disc was full....not.

any ideas?

post #13579 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Been reading alot on here about the Magnavox MDR515H and finally purchased the unit from Walmart.com. I've been through 2 units already within 2 weeks! Below is the sequence of events. (Does anyone know how to resolve these lock-up issues???)

Unit worked fine for a few hours. I recorded to HDD a couple small untimed events, watched, rewinded and paused Live TV....LOVED IT!!!
Day 1:
Received unit on my birthday Mar. 8.; connected cables, programmed channels, timers, etc...Turned OFF AutoClock settings because of what I read from previous AVS forums and on WalMart.com.I programmed the
unit to record from 11pm to 12am(Conan TBS).
Day 2:
In the morning I noticed the unit was ON, so I turned the TV On and tried to use the DVR, but NO response. Tried to power DVR Off to No avail. Tried holding down Power/Standby and
Stop buttons for a while...nothing.
I unplugged the unit for a few seconds and plugged it back in, but now the unit will NOT power On. (Clock Display only)
I tried leaving it unplugged for an hour; still will Not power On; just the front panel clock...
I tried holding down the Power/Standby and Stop buttons for a few seconds; Nothing.
I tried holding down the Power/Standby button while plugging in the AC; Nothing
I had to unplug unit for over 2 1/2 hours to reset it and reprogram ALL of my channels, timed events, clock, etc...Was it a fluke???
Day 3:
Came home in the afternoon and noticed the unit was On and stuck at recording my afternoon show(Glenn Beck).
I turned TV on and saw the DVR was recording a snowy picture of FoxNews(my show). I had noticed previously that during recorded timed events that the DVR would record a loss of
signal in spurts; almost like the cable was going in and out.(tuner issues?)
Once again I had to unplug the unit for over 2 1/2 hours to reset the entire DVR! My 3 shows were still on the HDD, but having to unplug this unit EVERYDAY for over 2 1/2 hours, then
resetting the clock, Auto Channel Scan, and Timer Events, is NOT what ANYONE should have to endure.
BTW...my DVR is all by itself in a large open bookshelf with plenty of air circulating throughout, and the room is at a steady 60~70 degrees, so this is NOT a heat issue.
Funai does NOT have any new firmware to install or any resolution to fix this lock-up CPU freezing issue.

Once again my 2nd unit is doing the SAME EXACT thing, plus the DVD drive will NOT open!

(Does anyone know how to resolve these lock-up issues???)

Thanks for an awesome site too!!!

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp and a RCA VH226F rotor motor
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #13580 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my mag 2160a.. has died i think,,
will not do any thing but show the clock on the front display
will not respond to remote will not boot the HHD.. no signal is given to the TV...
before it died it said loading... and locked on loading...

is there any hope or is this a paper weight... i would look for a reset.. but im not sure how to do this with out it even booting up...

help...
post #13581 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
With a lot of electronics, unplugging for some time (like overnight) can fix a locked up CPU.
It doesn't cost anything to try it...
post #13582 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post

my mag 2160a.. has died i think,,
will not do any thing but show the clock on the front display
will not respond to remote will not boot the HHD.. no signal is given to the TV...
before it died it said loading... and locked on loading...

is there any hope or is this a paper weight... i would look for a reset.. but im not sure how to do this with out it even booting up...

help...

Try the Soft Reset here.
post #13583 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

With a lot of electronics, unplugging for some time (like overnight) can fix a locked up CPU.
It doesn't cost anything to try it...

mhh..
that seemed to do the trick... i just hope its not a pattern kinda deal..
i was really liking this and it is just about a year old.. so growing pains..

any how... will keep updated on this issue..

thank for the help..

chris,,
post #13584 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

Been reading alot on here about the Magnavox MDR515H and finally purchased the unit from Walmart.com. I've been through 2 units already within 2 weeks! Below is the sequence of events. (Does anyone know how to resolve these lock-up issues???)

If you can get it to a state that it responds to remote, try a Hard Reset (SKIP 123) described here.

Please describe in detail how you're connected to other equiipment and TV, i.e., system description.
post #13585 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just a reminder: Turn your HDTV on and off, plus more, with the Mag's HDMI control feature.

I've read some comments here and in other Reviews expressing a desire to have the Mag remote be able to turn the TV on and off.

If you have a Mag 2160A, 513 or 515, it can!

You can use the HDMI Control on the 2160A or fun-Link (HDMI CEC) on the 513/515 to turn *many* HDTV's on and off, plus MORE, as described here.

Works on my Vizio HDTV's w/o any special TV settings, for one. Also works on Panasonic Viera-link HDTVs if you turn that on in the TV and in the Mag.

post #13586 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you can get it to a state that it responds to remote, try a Hard Reset (SKIP 123) described here.

Please describe in detail how you're connected to other equiipment and TV, i.e., system description.

Tried the HARD "Skip 123" sequence to no avail on both this unit and the previous one.
Front display is stuck/frozen on the counter while it WAS recording, but is no longer recording. (Power stayed On and froze while in the middle of recording). I also tried unplugging the HDMI cable....no response.

The TW cable is plugged directly into the RF input (All analog and DTV come in perfect.) and the only output connected is the HDMI into my Panasonic plasma TV. The HDMI "fun-link" is OFF, but that didn't matter cause it froze with "fun-link" ON too. I also tried powering OFF the TV. Auto Clock is also OFF.

The unit is currently unplugged and I have to leave it unplugged for OVER 2 1/2 hours to get it to even power On again. Albeit, reprogramming ALL channels and Timed Programs again...

I have read on Walmart's site that others users are having this same issue.
Not sure what's going on here.

Thanks again!

Large HD8200XL antenna with HDB91X and RCA preamp and a RCA VH226F rotor motor
,aimed at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles) from Etiwanda area.
CM3410 Dist. amp in attic for a 5 room hookup.
Located in foothills behind Mt. Baldy, and experiencing signal loss and pixelation depending on time of day.
post #13587 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post
The unit is currently unplugged and I have to leave it unplugged for OVER 2 1/2 hours to get it to even power On again. Albeit, reprogramming ALL channels and Timed Programs again...
Since you're leaving it unplugged to drain power, do a Soft Reset on plugging back in: HOLD power button on front of unit (not on remote) WHILE plugging back in to power. HOLD power button til you see "P-On" on front display.

At this point I'd even try something 'strange": unplug any connection to your TV while doing the Soft Reset, then connect only composite YWR cables to the TV (or S-Vid if it doesn't have YWR)... no HDMI yet... to see the results???
post #13588 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM

My area of the country is being mandated by Comcast for a complete conversion to STB's or DTA's within 30 - 60 days.

I have a 3575 that'll be rendered, for all practical purposes, worthless for automated recording.

I feel like I've gone 20 years back in time. No longer can I watch something on TV while recording something else.

I've been looking at replacements, but I'm not liking what I see.

There's the Comcast DVR that you have to rent for around $15/month. It doesn't have an optical drive for burning. And is reviewed poorly.

Then there's the Tivo series. $100 - $300 plus $20/month. Plus another $90 for a wireless internet adapter since it requires a network connection. And no optical drive for burning. Plus a monthly Comcast charge for a cablecard.

And lastly, there's the Moxi for a paltry $600. No monthly charge. No optical drive. And no available wireless adapter, wired only. Plus a monthly charge for a Comcast cablecard.

Are there any alternatives? Like a 3575 with a cablecard?

The prices of these things are past ridiculous, given the cobbled functionality to get around a DTA or STB.
post #13589 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wait till "it" happens, don't obtain or "activate" any of their boxes, see what channels they leave in the clear (has to be AT LEAST the major Networks), don't despair till you really need to!?

One person who was also "threatened" has been receiving channels in the clear and Comcrap keeps calling him asking when he's going to "activate"... I'm beginning to believe they need YOU to seal your own fate by signing up... many people have done that right off the bat and lo and behold, scrambled channels, imagine that! Once you're "activated" the game's over!?

If you do have to use one of their boxes, connect with a good-quality bidirectional splitter, one output to box and one to 3575, and see if that's "livable"?

Bottom line: don't make any decisions until the battle's over!!!
post #13590 of 27999 Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM

It's already happening. My wife is a nurse at the county nursing home. Comcast was there in force today as the residents with Comcast service 'lost' 1/3 of the higher channels yesterday. Another 1/3 will get whacked on 4/22 with the remainder going away on 5/22. After that date, you'll get nothing without an STB or DTA.

I can split the output of the STB to the DVR, but without the ability to automatically change channels on the STB, I'm not going to be able to record unless I'm in front of the STB to change the channel.

It does stink, right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page