Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 493 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1019Likes

post #14761 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you for info.

According to the thread, there is our remote code (4 digit number) in their preprogrammed remote memory.

Does it mean we do not need to discuss to the manufacturer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14762 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
234, The only bad thing about Friday is that it is "Two Days From Monday"

I have a Universal Remote - it is not the Harmony Brand will check on its Model Number tonight.

I also have a low end model Harmony that I use for getting codes from because it has a larger and more up to date database then my Universal remote does.

I than use it to IR learn my Universal Remote.

Ok everyone thinks "Why doesn't he just use the Harmony?"

Well I need the Radio signal feature of the Universal so I can get the signal inside my cabinet and the equivalent Harmony Radio Signal remote is out of my price range and I need two of them. On e for myself and one for the Better Half.

------------

In regards to my Hawaii Five O yes the Ole Jack Lord series. I watch it off of Metv channel 50.2 Fox zipcode 27540.

And it does look like Titan Metv does list the name of the show:

"Hawaii Five-O
WRAZ-DT2 - 50.2 - Fri, 7/08, 5:00 PM 1 hr
"Strangers in Our Own Land"
10/03/1968, Drama, Mystery, Crime, Action
Steve McGarrett and the 5-0 unit deal with the assassination investigation of a native-born Hawaiian official and learn that some of the victim's fellow nationals are resentful of his pro-development undertakings on the Hawaiian Islands."
post #14763 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post
Thank you both gentlemen.

I am in fact feeding one HDTV with a QAM tuner directly from the cable wall jack with no STB and it works fine. The non-scrambled local channels in HD also look very good (although nothing seems to beat totally uncompressed OTA HD with an antenna).

On a different topic, it'll be interesting to experiment with the 515 using its built-in digital tuner (which of course the old VCR did not have) vs. feeding an STB with analog output into it. Not sure how to set up the 515's tuner for that, but I did see ample documentation in the lengthy manual, so I'll not be wanting for reading material after it arrives.

I'm sure if I try to use the 515's digital tuner, I'll be spending a lot of time searching for the channels at first, since I doubt they'll match Comcast's channel numbers. If I go with the STB, no problem in that regard.

Much appreciated guys.
QAM will rarely match the comcast channel numbers beyond the very low analog ones, which in some market have been discontinued. For example, here nbc was (OTA 4-1) , cable box 4, 24, 212, and 804, but on the tv with QAM signal it's 126-1, and on the magnavox it is also 126-1. Still get it, but the cable co has remapped it and it's appearing waaaay up the line.

Also, I've been able to record 'on demand' cable shows using L1 input to a 2160A -- not sure about HBO and other premiums, since i've dropped them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14764 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Thank you both gentlemen.

I am in fact feeding one HDTV with a QAM tuner directly from the cable wall jack with no STB and it works fine. The non-scrambled local channels in HD also look very good (although nothing seems to beat totally uncompressed OTA HD with an antenna).
So, you are stating that your OTA "totally" uncompressed channel has no subchannels? That's nice. I hope it stays that way. There is a lot of "-2" creeping in to carry those old programs, like Three Stooges and Gunsmoke. It's a real growth industry. Antenna-TV and Retro-TV come to mind. I'm sure there are more sprouting up every day. Perhaps they appeal to the older viewing audience that have been forced to buy a new TV? I'm no sociologist.

Every OTA and cable channel is 6Mhz wide as it has been for 60 years. You could have only one MPEG-2 or whatever or SCTE-127 channel or even one QAM cable channel in that 6Mhz. But money will overcome quality everyday. I agree, a single OTA channel with no subchannels looks great. There's no regulation that makes a DTV channel have sub-channels. But they do. It's too bad I can't compare my HD CNBC channel to OTA HD CBS or even measure the difference.
post #14765 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
QAM will rarely match the comcast channel numbers beyond the very low analog ones, which in some market have been discontinued. For example, here nbc was (OTA 4-1) , cable box 4, 24, 212, and 804, but on the tv with QAM signal it's 126-1, and on the magnavox it is also 126-1. Still get it, but the cable co has remapped it and it's appearing waaaay up the line.

Also, I've been able to record 'on demand' cable shows using L1 input to a 2160A -- not sure about HBO and other premiums, since i've dropped them.
It took me a while to figure out that EVERY cable channel is remapped or a virtual channel. NBC is on my cable channels 3, 76.7606 and (HD) 85.1501. Its real transmitted frequency is 11 (VHF) but converted via PSIP to 28. My highest QAM channel is 125.1 and highest NTSC is 135. Via cable box they run over 900, but nothing over 999 so far.

This makes my head hurt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...on_frequencies

And then there are a lot of translator channels in my area due to the hills.
post #14766 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, same here. The channels are all over the place and in most cases their assignments are totally different from the lineup through the STB. Only a few match up. If the 515's lineup matches my TV's, it'll be a snap.

I will definitely try recording On Demand and see what happens. Thanks for mentioning that.
post #14767 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

So, you are stating that your OTA "totally" uncompressed channel has no subchannels? That's nice. I hope it stays that way. There is a lot of "-2" creeping in to carry those old programs, like Three Stooges and Gunsmoke. It's a real growth industry. Antenna-TV and Retro-TV come to mind. I'm sure there are more sprouting up every day. Perhaps they appeal to the older viewing audience that have been forced to buy a new TV? I'm no sociologist.

Every OTA and cable channel is 6Mhz wide as it has been for 60 years. You could have only one MPEG-2 or whatever or SCTE-127 channel or even one QAM cable channel in that 6Mhz. But money will overcome quality everyday. I agree, a single OTA channel with no subchannels looks great. There's no regulation that makes a DTV channel have sub-channels. But they do. It's too bad I can't compare my HD CNBC channel to OTA HD CBS or even measure the difference.

Oooooooh you are right!!

I totally forgot about the subchannels. Mainly because all the freebie HD channels I want to watch are stored in the TV's Favorites, which of course makes getting to them easy, and none are the subchannels. Thanks for setting it straight.

Still, the OTA HD signal on most channels seems to have more "pop," or clarity or something that sets it apart from the cable HD signal. Or it could just be my burning desire to hate Comcast, which I admit, affects my objectivity.

Or maybe the Comcast HD picture looks better through one of their HD boxes than with a straight through feed?? Don't they have some additional amplification and/or processing going on in the boxes?
post #14768 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Oooooooh you are right!!

I totally forgot about the subchannels. Mainly because all the freebie HD channels I want to watch are stored in the TV's Favorites, which of course makes getting to them easy, and none are the subchannels. Thanks for setting it straight.

Still, the OTA HD signal on most channels seems to have more "pop," or clarity or something that sets it apart from the cable HD signal. Or it could just be my burning desire to hate Comcast, which I admit, affects my objectivity.

Or maybe the Comcast HD picture looks better through one of their HD boxes than with a straight through feed?? Don't they have some additional amplification and/or processing going on in the boxes?

I have a little experience with OTA, but cable feeds have to be processed many times before they get to your tuner it's no wonder they lose that pop. I can compare clear QAM256 HD to STB 1080i HD for NBC & CBS and others. The STB doesn't add or subtract anything that I can perceive. I can see the difference between an HD channel (say TNT) in HD and its SD clear QAM channel. I watch CNBC a lot and there is a big difference in the quality between SD and HD. I no longer have basic cable in vsb/analog, just some local and legacy stuff up to channel 25.

My test for that clarity, pop, or resolution is late night TV like Leno. If you can see the individual leaves on the plants clearly, it's a good clear signal. Most old content just looks old in HD. I guess why 24 pulldown was added for movies and terms like soap opera effect were invented.
post #14769 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Oooooooh you are right!!

My antenna feeds the tv -- it definitely has more 'pop' than the comcast HD box picture. (Not a scientific conclusion, since I share that burning desire to hate them. ) It's not as easy to change channels that way (without reorienting the in -the-window-sill emergency antenna) and there are fewer channels available, so I rarely use the tv tuner directly, unless I'm recording something on another station and want to check out a different network or pbs program w/o the cable feed. The TV picture for the main networks is most 'brilliant' directly from the antenna, the aux input via cable box and the passthrough coax are pretty much the same -- slightly less clarity than the OTA quality. SOME stations via cable are great and actually seem HD, but many others are kind of crummy. It's not your imagination. When you get the recorder set up, remember, the picture is somewhat softer and less defined via Maggie recorder than cable, but there's the added benefit of being able to watch the buffer and ff through stuff you dont want to see, so I often watch news or talk shows that way even when I'm not planning to record. One real benefit -- if you're watching a show that turns out to be really good and you think to yourself, "Damn, I should have recorded this," with the Maggie, you still can capture the buffer *up to six hours and record after the fact. I usually record on L1, so it's getting the cable box feed, even if I'm watching on direct cable box to TV connection , so you can still backtrack (or leave to do something else and still catch up on what you missed on the recorder buffer.)
post #14770 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

I downloaded their instruction book.
Page 7
I can see;
"4. Use the "Manufacturer's Codes" (starting on page 42) to locate the type of device and brand name and then enter the first four-digit code for your device....."

But the instruction book downloaded contains only 1-20 page.
I could not find "Page 42".

I know that you can let the remote learn our remote code if user operate it one by one because it is learning remote.
I think you want the remote pre-programmed our remote code in its memory so that user can set our device just entering 4 digits.

To make it so, we need to discuss the remote control manufacturer to add our IR code into remote control memory.

234 I believe vickyg2003 answered all your questions addressed to me. She is the expert on the 8820 and hangs out on the JP1 site (I did not know she monitored this site as well).

Yes, UEI does not have pages 42-62 of the URC-8820 manual online. They contain the setup codes for all of the devices that the remote supports. When I began using the URC-8820, I did use the code 0675 for the 2160A but found that with unsupported commands to learn that were not available and devices to learn as well, I quickly ran out of learning memory so I had to switch to using the "extender" for the 8820. That is a long story of it own that is way beyond this thread. I owe vickyg2003 many thanks for helping me through the process.
post #14771 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM

can the Magnavox 515 tune into DTV channels? If so how?
post #14772 of 27999 Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Having trouble with my ol' 2160 A again. Haven't recorded anything in a while, so when I get ready to use it the recorder pops up and reads: "Recording Error-Can Not record on this disc E 4 54039000 E 22" Never had trouble before, anybody know?

I've read something about Power Calibration Area (PCA) can that be the problem? Or maybe I have to many titles(6 pages worth!) Thanks in advance.
post #14773 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by torreynado View Post

can the Magnavox 515 tune into DTV channels? If so how?

No, the Mag can't tune DirecTV channels since theyre all encrypted. You can only connect to the DTV STB via line connection, as shown in the Connections help file.

You'd be able to record whatever channel you set on the DTV STB. Here's the help file on recording from a STB, followed by some TIPS from STB users.

You CAN connect an indoor or outdoor antenna of cable feed and tune those channels directly and separately.
post #14774 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2010 View Post

Having trouble with my ol' 2160 A again. Haven't recorded anything in a while, so when I get ready to use it the recorder pops up and reads: "Recording Error-Can Not record on this disc E 4 54039000 E 22" Never had trouble before, anybody know?

I've read something about Power Calibration Area (PCA) can that be the problem? Or maybe I have to many titles(6 pages worth!) Thanks in advance.

That error is for PCA (OPC in Funai terms) and only applies to a blank or still-recordable DVD. Is that what you're trying to record to?

If so, the PCA area of the disc next to the hub may be full from many tests (esp. if you tend to leave the disc in the tray), dirty or scratched or the disc may be slipping on the spindle.
post #14775 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 AM

I've tried a brand new dvd+r disc, but with the same results. Could my recorder be dirty? I noticed my dvd tray was dusty.
post #14776 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've tried a brand new dvd+r disc, but with the same results. Could my recorder be dirty? I noticed my dvd tray was dusty.

Certainly could be the dust. Here are 3 things you could try in this sequence:

1. First thing to try, which might work for awhile if your laser lens if just dusty is a Laser cleaning disc found at Walmart and other stores. It has a small brush on it. Many people have found that this works, at least for awhile.

2. Next is to try "better" blank discs since it could be the brand and type of discs you're using. This help file shows Recommended DVDs, so if you're not using one of the three mentioned there, you might want to get one or more of those discs before launching into the hub cleaning project described in #3 below.

3. Clean the DVD drive hub.

Ever since I first saw an accumulation of dust on the top edge of the tray opening on my Pio 640, I've gotten into the habit of rubbing my finger across that surface every time I load a disc. I've noticed that dust buildup even tho my DVDRs are in an extremely clean environment... scrupulous housekeeping, no smokers, etc.

Here's a TIP from the DVD help file with a link to the hub-cleaning procedure:

"Keep your finger out of the hole... handle discs ONLY by outside edge... no matter what you read elsewhere!
Sticking a finger thru the center hole can, over time, deposit skin grease, boogers, etc. on the hub. Centrifugal force from the spinning hub can spread your boogers outward to the rubber/silicone "disc gripper." Combined with dust... check the front edges of your disc tray opening sometime!... that can lead to disc slippage, one of the most predominant causes of unreadable discs. And if a blank or still-recordable disc slips, the reqd series of performance tests can't be run to determine the ideal burn routine for that disc. This will cause an error or "can't record" type message. Altho reports of this problem with PhilMag HDD-DVDRs are virtually nonexistent, it could happen, requiring a cleaning of the hub in the DVD mechanism, as described here."
post #14777 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
One more thing I'd like to add about disc care is storage. I thought my old DVD recorder was toast, but it turns out that my whole spindle of DVDs was damanged due to sun exposure. All my new DVD's are unreadable because they were exposed to excessive sunlight, even though they were not ever in direct sunlight. I also had a stack of finalized DVD's that were damaged too.
post #14778 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I've had a similar error "E 4 54040990 E 22". Usually changing media brand resolves the problem. I've also had "E 3 54040990 Can not record on this disc." Again, changing media brand helped.

Jim
post #14779 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg2003 View Post
One more thing I'd like to add about disc care is storage. I thought my old DVD recorder was toast, but it turns out that my whole spindle of DVDs was damanged due to sun exposure. All my new DVD's are unreadable because they were exposed to excessive sunlight, even though they were not ever in direct sunlight. I also had a stack of finalized DVD's that were damaged too.
Exposure to bright sunlight can affect recordable DVDs, especially DVD±R, which use light-sensitive dyes. Storage in areas of high temperature and/or high humidity may also result in corrosion of the DVD's refector, rendering the DVD unreadable.

DVD Storage Guidelines:
Temperature: 4°C to 20°C (29°F to 68°F)
Relative Humidity: 20% to 50%

Reference: Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs: A Guide for Librarians and Archivists

post #14780 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Certainly could be the dust. Here are 3 things you could try in this sequence:

1. First thing to try, which might work for awhile if your laser lens if just dusty is a Laser cleaning disc found at Walmart and other stores. It has a small brush on it. Many people have found that this works, at least for awhile.

2. Next is to try "better" blank discs since it could be the brand and type of discs you're using. This help file shows Recommended DVDs, so if you're not using one of the three mentioned there, you might want to get one or more of those discs before launching into the hub cleaning project described in #3 below.

3. Clean the DVD drive hub.

Ever since I first saw an accumulation of dust on the top edge of the tray opening on my Pio 640, I've gotten into the habit of rubbing my finger across that surface every time I load a disc. I've noticed that dust buildup even tho my DVDRs are in an extremely clean environment... scrupulous housekeeping, no smokers, etc.

Here's a TIP from the DVD help file with a link to the hub-cleaning procedure:

"Keep your finger out of the hole... handle discs ONLY by outside edge... no matter what you read elsewhere!
Sticking a finger thru the center hole can, over time, deposit skin grease, boogers, etc. on the hub. Centrifugal force from the spinning hub can spread your boogers outward to the rubber/silicone "disc gripper." Combined with dust... check the front edges of your disc tray opening sometime!... that can lead to disc slippage, one of the most predominant causes of unreadable discs. And if a blank or still-recordable disc slips, the reqd series of performance tests can't be run to determine the ideal burn routine for that disc. This will cause an error or "can't record" type message. Altho reports of this problem with PhilMag HDD-DVDRs are virtually nonexistent, it could happen, requiring a cleaning of the hub in the DVD mechanism, as described here."
Thanks for the help I'll give them all three a shot. By the way, I've been using TDK, so this might be the problem.
post #14781 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help I'll give them all three a shot. By the way, I've been using TDK, so this might be the problem.
TDK no longer manufacture TDK branded DVD's.
TDK sold their media products division to IMATION in 2007, including use of the TDK trademark. (Some TDK media is made by RITEK.)
IMATION, was originally a 3M brand (the Scotch tape people) but was spun off as a separate company in 1995 when 3M decided to exit the consumer media business. IMATION also market media under Imation, Memorex and XtremeMax brand names.

Suggest you check out Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden brands.

post #14782 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post
TDK no longer manufacture TDK branded DVD's.
TDK sold their media products division to IMATION in 2007, including use of the TDK trademark. (Some TDK media is made by RITEK.)
IMATION, was originally a 3M brand (the Scotch tape people) but was spun off as a separate company in 1995 when 3M decided to exit the consumer media business. IMATION also market media under Imation, Memorex and XtremeMax brand names.

Suggest you check out Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden brands.
Imation contracts with China Magnetics Corporation (CMC) to make DVDs. CMC also produces DVDs for such brand names as Philips, Magnavox, HP, the Verbatim "Life Series" and several lesser-known or store brands.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #14783 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post
Exposure to bright sunlight can affect recordable DVDs, especially DVD±R, which use light-sensitive dyes. Storage in areas of high temperature and/or high humidity may also result in corrosion of the DVD's refector, rendering the DVD unreadable.

DVD Storage Guidelines:
Temperature: 4°C to 20°C (29°F to 68°F)
Relative Humidity: 20% to 50%

Reference: Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs: A Guide for Librarians and Archivists

Since I live in SW Florida, guess I'll have to store my DVDs in the fridge.
post #14784 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Artwire, when you get a chance, please check the FW Versions with SKIP 123 and compare to the listed FW here.

I'd like to see if anything has changed from 1st units with Sep 2010 mfg date.
Nope, the firmware is the same as you have posted. One thing... you'd think I'd remember by now, given that it's not my first machine ... but I ALWAYS forget that you have to switch the s-video setting before you can see anything -- I just pulled plugs from the old, inserted in the new, and spent 20 minutes trying to track down the reason why I couldn't get the video - swapped s-video cables, the whole nine yards, then I tried the front L2, and it still didn't work-- that's when the lightbulb went off. So much for my timesaving technique! Duh. This machine is not scanned for channels, only cable box input, so I hadn't done a full set up. (Hey, at least I remembered to hit the HDMI button! 5th time's the charm!)
post #14785 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:

My antenna feeds the tv -- it definitely has more 'pop' than the comcast HD box picture. (Not a scientific conclusion, since I share that burning desire to hate them. ) It's not as easy to change channels that way (without reorienting the in -the-window-sill emergency antenna) and there are fewer channels available, so I rarely use the tv tuner directly, unless I'm recording something on another station and want to check out a different network or pbs program w/o the cable feed. The TV picture for the main networks is most 'brilliant' directly from the antenna, the aux input via cable box and the passthrough coax are pretty much the same -- slightly less clarity than the OTA quality. SOME stations via cable are great and actually seem HD, but many others are kind of crummy. It's not your imagination. When you get the recorder set up, remember, the picture is somewhat softer and less defined via Maggie recorder than cable, but there's the added benefit of being able to watch the buffer and ff through stuff you dont want to see, so I often watch news or talk shows that way even when I'm not planning to record. One real benefit -- if you're watching a show that turns out to be really good and you think to yourself, "Damn, I should have recorded this," with the Maggie, you still can capture the buffer *up to six hours and record after the fact. I usually record on L1, so it's getting the cable box feed, even if I'm watching on direct cable box to TV connection , so you can still backtrack (or leave to do something else and still catch up on what you missed on the recorder buffer.)

"When you get the recorder set up, remember, the picture is somewhat softer and less defined via Maggie recorder than cable..."

But nevertheless a "little bit better" than a 10 year old, 240 line res. VCR, right?

"...with the Maggie, you still can capture the buffer *up to six hours and record after the fact. I usually record on L1, so it's getting the cable box feed, even if I'm watching on direct cable box to TV connection , so you can still backtrack (or leave to do something else and still catch up on what you missed on the recorder buffer.)"

So much to learn, so little time. It'll be fun.

Re: fast forwarding with the 515, does the ff time have to be preset for certain times or can you just hit the ff button until you want to stop and then proceed at normal speed as you would with a VCR?

Thanks.
post #14786 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Re: fast forwarding with the 515, does the ff time have to be preset for certain times or can you just hit the ff button until you want to stop and then proceed at normal speed as you would with a VCR?

No presets, just press FF button:
1 press =- 2X
2 press = 20X
3 Press = 40X

See that and other Playback features in the help file here.
post #14787 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:

No presets, just press FF button:
1 press =- 2X
2 press = 20X
3 Press = 40X

See that and other Playback features in the help file here.

Thanks again wajo. Yet another link to yet another incredibly detailed and helpful post.

I must say, given the problems I've read about with so many digital media recording machines and given my dedication to avoiding issues at all costs, this 3+ year old thread and the support you and others are providing here is extremely re-assuring.

post #14788 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"When you get the recorder set up, remember, the picture is somewhat softer and less defined via Maggie recorder than cable..."

But nevertheless a "little bit better" than a 10 year old, 240 line res. VCR, right?

oh, yeah!! Actually, it's not that much softer than the cable feed, especially at SP (I dont use the HQ fastest speed because there's not that much difference between that and SP) Now that we have larger drives, SP or SPP (slightly softer) should be fine -- on my old one I had to go to LP cause I was running out of room, and it was still better than the old vcr

Re forwarding -- if you're watching something in the buffer , for example,
you can hit the display button, then you can jump around the program really fast -- no need to rewind through 4 hrs, for example, just change the hour marker from 4 to 0 on the display info . Easier to do than explain - I'm sure Wajo has a better description somewhere... but it's a very handy item that I didnt even notice for months. LOTS to discover (even now).
post #14789 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Easier to do than explain - I'm sure Wajo has a better description somewhere... but it's a very handy item that I didnt even notice for months. LOTS to discover (even now).

How 'bout here... the companion to the Playback-with-remote help file in link above?
post #14790 of 27999 Old 07-09-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Will LP speed record at maximum quality possible a bitstarved SD subchanel? I frequently record from The Cool TV, a subchannel of KERO. I see little advantage to recording a bitstarved subchannel in HQ or SP, since the original broadcast is rather low quality.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!! And now the deadline has been extended again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page