Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 494 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1026Likes

post #14791 of 28014 Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Will LP speed record at maximum quality possible a bitstarved SD subchanel? I frequently record from The Cool TV, a subchannel of KERO. I see little advantage to recording a bitstarved subchannel in HQ or SP, since the original broadcast is rather low quality.

I can only tell you that I record my night-time (primetime) political talk shows in LP every night from an analog SD channel in my cable feed. I tested at all rec modes and couldn't really see any diff. between HQ, SP, SPP and LP so I stuck with LP JFTHOI.

If those shows were on a digital/HD channel, I could use 6-hr-SLP and they would still look great!

Best bet for you would be to record your show(s) at each rec mode and see what works best for you. With these PhilMag DVDRs, you can record, then PAUSE, and switch channels if your shows are on diff. channels, then they'll play in one continuous title for easier comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again for the replies guys.

Amazon really came through. Ordered late Thursday - free UPS delivery tomorrow.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

But, being the glass-half-empty kinda' guy I am, don't go anywhere - please.
post #14793 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

"When you get the recorder set up, remember, the picture is somewhat softer and less defined via Maggie recorder than cable..."

But nevertheless a "little bit better" than a 10 year old, 240 line res. VCR, right?

"...with the Maggie, you still can capture the buffer *up to six hours and record after the fact. I usually record on L1, so it's getting the cable box feed, even if I'm watching on direct cable box to TV connection , so you can still backtrack (or leave to do something else and still catch up on what you missed on the recorder buffer.)"

So much to learn, so little time. It'll be fun.

Re: fast forwarding with the 515, does the ff time have to be preset for certain times or can you just hit the ff button until you want to stop and then proceed at normal speed as you would with a VCR?

Thanks.

Advice: no can read that blue with Retro, which a lot of people use on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14794 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 349
What blue?? all I could see was the yellow
post #14795 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Advice: no can read that blue with Retro, which a lot of people use on this forum.

Well, all you have to do is highlight it and it turns white - if you can see what to highlight of course.

But I see your point. K.I.S.S. is always the best policy when dealing with different tastes.

Forgot all about the retro look. Very purty.

Thanks for the reminder.
post #14796 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM

The 515 does not have this feature, correct?

It would be useful when dealing with Comcast's straight through - no STB - scattered channel lineup.

I guess in the setup you can bypass all the channels you're not interested in watching though, so maybe it's a wash.
post #14797 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

No favorites, and you can delete individual analog channels but only major channel groups from the digital tuner, i.e., the manual channel delete menu only allows you to enter a major channel number, like 87, which deletes all channels in the 87 group (87.1, 87.2 etc.). A major bummer for someone with lots of low-value subchannels.
post #14798 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

How 'bout here... the companion to the Playback-with-remote help file in link above?

On that subject, is there an easy way to figure out the clock time to jump to on the buffer/autorecord? I find often instead of setting up a timer record I just turn on the 2160a on and later on go back into the buffer. But unless I remember exactly when I turned it on, it isn't easy to figure out where the clock :00 or :30 might be so I end up having to manually search ahead or back looking for the starting point.

Also, I've never tried this, but once you fill up the buffer does the time on the display 00:00:00 just start moving "forward" with respect to clock time?

scott s.

Sony XBR-65A1E
post #14799 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

On that subject, is there an easy way to figure out the clock time to jump to on the buffer/autorecord? I find often instead of setting up a timer record I just turn on the 2160a on and later on go back into the buffer. But unless I remember exactly when I turned it on, it isn't easy to figure out where the clock :00 or :30 might be so I end up having to manually search ahead or back looking for the starting point.

Not sure I fully understand, but I don't really use the buffer clock times in any meaningful way, I just search by content. If you start watching a movie that you decide you'd like to save, then you'd have a movie start time compared to time now that you could use to go back to a specific buffer clock time. Even then, I might be more prone to use the PREV button to go back in 5-min.* increments until I get close to movie start time, all by visual clues. (My PREV and NEXT button moves can be accumulated if I keep pressing quickly. It moves clock time fast so I have to keep a close eye on the clock. I also don't get to see any content!)

*My 2160 PREV button moves are 5-min. each no matter what I have set for the Auto Chapter increments. That might increase as more time gets buffered (not tested here yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

Also, I've never tried this, but once you fill up the buffer does the time on the display 00:00:00 just start moving "forward" with respect to clock time?

Yes, if you turn the 2160 on at 12:00 and go into the buffer at 6:30, the 0:00:00 time will be 12:30 in clock time. It buffers for 6 hours, then the earliest buffer keeps dropping off.
post #14800 of 28014 Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

I've searched the thread and found discussions bordering on my question, but no answers. I'm trying to schedule shows from a Comcast STB (non-DVR) to the Magnavox 2160

For those with a Comcast STB , when you use the Record To VCR guide feature to schedule the STB to tune to the desired show/channel, how many events are you able to schedule before it stops?

I can only get 7 before I get a maximum events scheduled message. Very frustrating and I think you all know what happened when I tried speaking, e-mailing, and chatting with Comcast support. Everything from upsells to their DVR to telling me the STB is communicating with my VCR and determining there is not enough space left on the tape.

I originally had a Pace RNG110 STB and don't think I ever saw the maximum events message, but perhaps I didn't have that many pre-set. The RNG started inserting false do not record flags on certain channels which the 2160 honored so I swapped that STB. CC gave me an ancient Moto DCT 6200 where I first noticed the seven show limit. The 6200 (from 2003) has 16MB memory and the RNG has 64MB so I went for another swap. Now have a Moto DCH3200 with 32MB memory I believe, but it too gets the maximum events scheduled at 7 settings.

Would any other Comcast victims confirm how many events they can set before getting the maximum message? If you are getting more than 7, would you report which STB you have? Trying to figure out if I have a STB issue or it's just a ridiculously low value hard coded into the guide programming.

Thanks
post #14801 of 28014 Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"There is a lot of "-2" creeping in to carry those old programs, like Three Stooges and Gunsmoke. It's a real growth industry. Antenna-TV and Retro-TV come to mind. I'm sure there are more sprouting up every day. Perhaps they appeal to the older viewing audience that have been forced to buy a new TV? I'm no sociologist."

I have ME-TV in the Raleigh NC area. Similar programming to Retro-TV which the subchannel that hosts ME-TV use to be.

I honestly do not see any degradation in HD quality on the main channels that host sub channels and this is with a Samsung 55 inch LED TV. There are several different BW schemes for sharing the BANDwidth between the HD channel and any sub SD channels so results may very.

Anyway I am willing to give up some BW to have extra free OTA channels.

Granted the subchannels may not be what everyone is looking for but than I do not always find something to watch on the HD channels.

In Raleigh the PBS station has one HD and two Sub channels one of which is children programming and the other is Exploring oriented.

Another channel has ME TV and interrupts evening ME tv to broadcast Local Durham Bulls games. SO some flexibility there.

Another Channel uses the sub to host Movies and a lot of the movies I have not seen. And during sporting events the movies go and they will host basketball games on the HD and two subchannels.

Another Channel has a SD channel which shows summer Olympic Style sports and in the Winter, Winter Style sports. They almost have better coverage than I see during the Olympics.

So I for one do not miss some Bandwidth when I gain some alternative programming.

And BTW - I was watching Digital TV back when Leno and the News were about the only HD shows to watch, and this was on a USED Samsung -T100 digital STB that was bigger then our 515's.

Maybe I am just lucky in this area because I know where my brother lives they do not have half as many subchannels and his PBS station mostly shows Antiques Roadshow all evening.

------------------

In regards to recording media I have found Sony RW to be pretty reliable DVD's.
post #14802 of 28014 Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

No presets, just press FF button:
1 press =- 2X
2 press = 20X
3 Press = 40X

See that and other Playback features in the help file here.

Myself I just use the Skip and replay buttons to skip commercials.

I have the skip button set for 30 seconds jump forward and the replay set to 5 seconds in case I overshoot into the program.

I also have a Satellite TV HD DVR and that more or less mimics its settings for that function. I almost never use FF or FRev preferring to skip commercials in 30 second chunks.

Good Luck
post #14803 of 28014 Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM

WOW!

Initial observations after one hour of use:

When recording from an analog Comcast STB to the HDD on the HQ setting, I CANNOT tell the difference between live and HDD so far.

Won't be trying the built-in digital tuner yet. No need to, thus far, since the STB gives me all the available channels in easy fashion and I'd have to switch cables or add another splitter. The last thing I need is another splitter in the lines. I'll try it eventually out of curiosity.

Chase play is great. But you already know that. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around "no more commercials!"

Ability to record video from STB and simultaneous audio from Rx FM tuner (Eagles football simulcasts) through L1 is flawless. Audio quality is as good as the old hi-fi VCR.

When 515 aspect ratio is set to 16:9 as suggested, still records and plays back in 4:3, but it is of so much better quality than the old VCR I can stretch it with the TV's format modes with little loss of resolution. Using it for the time being with a top-of-the-line (two years ago) Panny LCD with very high quality 1080p upscaling, which helps.

Very intuitive HDD operation for basic recording and playback operations. An easy and perfect upgrade for anyone coming from a VCR (and the 20th century I guess ).

TBoneit: Sounds like an idea worth trying. I'll set up the skip/replay times similarly. Thanks.

Many thanks for all the help guys. I'll continue to play, read and post as additional comments are warranted.

EDIT:

OK, it does record 16:9 signals in 16:9, at the same reduced (non-screen-filling) size that the SD STB outputs. Still learning here.
post #14804 of 28014 Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WOW!

Initial observations after one hour of use:

When recording from an analog Comcast STB to the HDD on the HQ setting, I CANNOT tell the difference between live and HDD so far.

Won't be trying the built-in digital tuner yet. No need to, thus far, since the STB gives me all the available channels in easy fashion and I'd have to switch cables or add another splitter. The last thing I need is another splitter in the lines. I'll try it eventually out of curiosity.

Chase play is great. But you already know that. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around "no more commercials!"

Ability to record video from STB and simultaneous audio from Rx FM tuner (Eagles football simulcasts) through L1 is flawless. Audio quality is as good as the old hi-fi VCR.

When 515 aspect ratio is set to 16:9 as suggested, still records and plays back in 4:3, but it is of so much better quality than the old VCR I can stretch it with the TV's format modes with little loss of resolution. Using it for the time being with a top-of-the-line (two years ago) Panny LCD with very high quality 1080p upscaling, which helps.

Very intuitive HDD operation for basic recording and playback operations. An easy and perfect upgrade for anyone coming from a VCR (and the 20th century I guess ).

TBoneit: Sounds like an idea worth trying. I'll set up the skip/replay times similarly. Thanks.

Many thanks for all the help guys. I'll continue to play, read and post as additional comments are warranted.

Just wait till you try to fast forward live TV and realize you have been so used to doing that with your recordings.
post #14805 of 28014 Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

Just wait till you try to fast forward live TV and realize you have been so used to doing that with your recordings.

Been there done that. I rarely watch entertainment TV live anymore just for that reason.
post #14806 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

funny. That happens to me all the time, too.

One more follow up on the new 515...I just LOVE the remote. I've finally set up cardboard blockers too.... no more musical chairs with all 4 recorders popping on and off all the time. I still have to rearrange my HDMI switches, since I lose audio on the alternate recorder whenever the switcher jumps between line 1 and line 2.

As for comcast question - I have a DCH3200 and have not run into a max number of shows, but I may not have tried 7. I'll give it a whirl and let you know if there's a limit. The 'new' RNG box is crappy in comparison to the old moto (no s-video out, either, to feed the recorder.)
post #14807 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TimtoFly,

"Audio quality is as good as the old hi-fi VCR." - It is just so hard to believe what we thought of as good quality just a few years ago.

I still remember fighting with Cassette tapes and all their issues. Now it is all stored in some form of memory.

I still need to drag my VCR back out and copy off my VCR tapes to a Hardrive like Wajo is doing.
post #14808 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Heehee, it happened late last night. Brain was shot from the huge learning curve and forgot I was watching live. Nevertheless, this thing is fun!
post #14809 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevh View Post

mdr515h/cable box channel switching solution,

This note concerns using your hdd dvr to record shows from
your cable box. In my case, it particularly concerns the following
equipment:

1) MDR515H hdd dvr
2) comcast cable box model DCT700US (US? - paperback book size)
3 rca jacks: 1 composite video output and 2 stereo audio jacks
3) Sony GX257 with IR blaster

I've been "sprucing up" the help file section on TIPS for box users and, in testing links there, I went to your great post on how you use the Sony GX257' IR blaster to change channels on your DCT700 box for recording with the 515.

I didn't see in any of our PMs or your post if you tried to see if that Moto DCT700US has a Record to VCR feature like many of the other Moto boxes, even those w/o DVRs in the system. That feature allows you to change channels in the box w/o an IR blaster.

Here's a section of the help file with TIPS on Moto boxes that might apply to you?

If you haven't already tried this, it'd be interesting to see if your box also has that same capability.
post #14810 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

".....Audio quality is as good as the old hi-fi VCR." - It is just so hard to believe what we thought of as good quality just a few years ago......

Very true.

My old Panny VCR was top of the line when I bought it. It really does output very listenable quality Dolby 2.1(?) stereo for limited purposes. For example WYSP simulcasts of Eagles football games with local announcers.

But, you're right, it does not come anywhere near state-of-the-art digital 5.1or better today, especially for more demanding home theater apps.

We've come a long way.
post #14811 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM

As we all know, these days a typical half hour commercial TV program may consist of as little as 18 minutes or so of meat and 12 minutes of fat, gristle, puffery and lies.

I won't even mention the added distraction of all those pop-up promos during the actual program. Ooops, I did mention it.

My point is that it seems you really can't start recording a live program and begin chase playing it a few seconds or minutes later, because you'll catch up to the real-time recording point quickly.

Seems you pretty much have to wait at least the amount of time you can anticipate the commercials will run, plus a little bit extra. If you're recording say four half hour shows - two hours of programming - looks like you have to wait almost an hour before beginning chase play.

Of course, this doesn't mean you'll be staying up an hour later to see it all, since you're cutting out all that commercial time. In the end, you're only a few minutes later at most.

Being new to all this, please tell me if this is right or wrong or if there is something else I should be doing about this.

Thanks again.
post #14812 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

We often start our chase play after only 10 or 15 min. after show start, which can result in our "catching up" and having to suffer thru a few commercials during the 2nd hour or thereabouts. IMO, 20 min. might be the "ideal" time if you just can't bear to watch ANY commercials?

If you do happen to catch up, make that a potty break? Come back and just press PLAY!

I don't think you have to wait an hour into a 2-hour show. Of course, if you tend to FF thru shows a lot, for whatever reason, you'll catch up much faster... I'm talking about a "normal" playback session, with NO Rapid Play and with maybe even a potty break or phone call in there somewhere. )
post #14813 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

......One more follow up on the new 515...I just LOVE the remote. I've finally set up cardboard blockers too.....)

That's the first thing I noticed about my new 515. The remote functionality and layout are very good. Very logical and intuitive of what the user is likely to want to do repeatedly with a minimum of searching or button-pushing.

It's as though they designed it after a whole bunch of input from users of other units. (??)

Speaking of the remote: do you or anyone know if they are shipped with a protective wrap adhered to the unit's surface that needs to be peeled off? It kind of looks that way on mine, but I don't want to start picking at a corner and peeling only to find out I shouldn't have done that!

Thanks.
post #14814 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

We often start our chase play after only 10 or 15 min. after show start, which can result in our "catching up" and having to suffer thru a few commercials during the 2nd hour or thereabouts. IMO, 20 min. might be the "ideal" time if you just can't bear to watch ANY commercials?

If you do happen to catch up, make that a potty break? Come back and just press PLAY!

I don't think you have to wait an hour into a 2-hour show.

True. I was just looking at the worst case scenario. I guess as long as there's a refrigerator nearby, it's not a problem.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something after reading through most of the basics in the manual.

I'm impressed with how the manual is laid out. This is such a complex, multi-multi-functioned device that the manual could have been a nightmare. After you learn how the manual itself is arranged, it's really decent and helpful.
post #14815 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's the first thing I noticed about my new 515. The remote functionality and layout are very good. Very logical and intuitive of what the user is likely to want to do repeatedly with a minimum of searching or button-pushing.

It's as though they designed it after a whole bunch of input from users of other units. (??)

Speaking of the remote: do you or anyone know if they are shipped with a protective wrap adhered to the unit's surface that needs to be peeled off? It kind of looks that way on mine, but I don't want to start picking at a corner and peeling only to find out I shouldn't have done that!

The 515 remote was one of the direct results of our Wish List.

The remote does have a very thin, peelable film over the faceplate. I left mine on until it got ragged on the edges and threatened to peel of all by itself.
post #14816 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

The 515 remote was one of the direct results of our Wish List.

The remote does have a very thin, peelable film over the faceplate. I left mine on until it got ragged on the edges and threatened to peel of all by itself.

Aha! They read the wish list. What great support, in both directions.

I hate to sound like a snob, but I have never had much respect for modern-day Magnavox-Funai poducts. I usually hang in the Panny, Pio, Yamaha and similar first-tier products threads. That's what I usually buy, too.

I have to say, in my experience those manufacturers have rarely shown as much responsiveness to consumer needs and desires as Funai has domonstrated with this great little product.

Now, if it'll just outlast the warranty, I'll be happy.

Thanks for confirming the remote peel-off film. Just thinking it may make it a little more readable in the dark.
post #14817 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for confirming the remote peel-off film. Just thinking it may make it a little more readable in the dark.

Nope, people still complain about the light text being unreadable in the dark.

Wish List #2, Item #8,
requests "Enhancements to remote" (backlit keys and/or fluorescent ink), among other things.
post #14818 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter at amazon.com now priced at $45.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...=5336055023-20
post #14819 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

I am contemplating buying a Magnavox 515.

If I have a HDD recording that is over two hours long, is there any way to write it to a dvd and maintain an HQ or SP level of quality?

I ask this because the 515 does not appear to support dual layer writing.
post #14820 of 28014 Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte428cj View Post

I am contemplating buying a Magnavox 515.

If I have a HDD recording that is over two hours long, is there any way to write it to a dvd and maintain an HQ or SP level of quality?

I ask this because the 515 does not appear to support dual layer writing.

Yes, there is.

Here's a help file with some Basic info on rec modes and fitting on a DVD.

Here's a help file with basic info on fitting stuff on a DVD using the three basic methods: high-speed bub (HSD), real-time dub (RTD), and real-time record (RTR).

Also, here's a help file with three options for recording what I consider to be the most difficult sport to record with good PQ, football. Above that subject are my explanations for why I believe football is the PITA of sports.

Obviously, if recording just for watch-and-delete, setting your Mag to 1-hr-HQ will get you some brilliant stuff from digital/HD channels and you won't have to worry about fitting to a DVD... just enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page